Author Topic: Making your own wheel wells?  (Read 10533 times)

calvinsdream

Making your own wheel wells?
« on: February 28, 2017, 07:46:17 AM »
Has anyone here ever made wheel wells for a board? Techniques? Tips?

I have a wood file, which works pretty well, but I'm curious to see what anyone else has done.

I have a tired deck that I love using for the park, but wanted 56mm with looser trucks, and no risers, so I arrived at wheel wells.

h00man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
Re: Making your own wheel wells?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:43:13 AM »
Jason Hernandez had a pretty good one on his insta. I'd post the link but I'm at work and IG is blocked on my computer.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 11:27:23 AM »
I would just dip the edge of a belt sander on it and go slow

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:46:14 AM »
Jason Hernandez had a pretty good one on his insta. I'd post the link but I'm at work and IG is blocked on my computer.

Thanks!

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:25:58 PM »
This always looked like a good/easy way

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 07:37:17 AM »
Does it looks like shit after you use the wood file?

Been wanting to make some wheel wells too. Alternatively, I think you can just take something round/hard and wrap some coarse sand paper around it and go at it. Never tried it though.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 11:20:51 AM »
Does it looks like shit after you use the wood file?

Been wanting to make some wheel wells too. Alternatively, I think you can just take something round/hard and wrap some coarse sand paper around it and go at it. Never tried it though.

This sound like it would take forever and a day.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks!

This is the shit. I've tried it and it's a game changer. No pics yet, since my work is not yet done: seems I have to dig some more... I'm riding a big, fat shop deck with (nominally) 58 mm wheels, but the lack of concave makes them bite. Doing this method gives me a lot of leeway, having lots of fun despite my shit skills. Try this, worked like a charm for me.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 07:37:20 AM »
Drum sander bits are perfect. Hold at an angle. Just make sure they will fit your drill's chuck.

BushidoCustoms

• Rep: 1
    • Bushido Customs avatar image
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 08:17:07 PM »
Used those drum sander bits for a power drill...worked pretty good for my first try.
Bushido Customs

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 10:20:20 PM »
i wish wheel wells were standard but this is a great alternative. gonna try it out this weekend
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 01:21:22 PM »
imagine not having a stockpile of wheel wells ready for hard times.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 01:56:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks!

Works but looks horrible. I'd probably use a dremel and 2 cutoff wheels (big and small) to make an oval-shaped, dished wheelwell. Kinda like the shape of wheelbite marks but deeper.

Those parking blocks looks sick! Think they're molded as a flat topped triangle? And then add the round portion on top by hand?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 03:08:29 PM »
Those blocks are so sick.

Yeah not liking that shape w the deemed either. Made em so deep too.

El Chupacabra

• Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 08:19:28 PM »
Drum sander and a jig would be ideal, if you want them to look pretty.
I've been trying to unlock home wheel wells for a while now. They're functional, but ugly.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 02:36:48 PM »
Just did some wheel wells with a wood rasp and they turned out way better than I expected. I just wanted to get a cruiser setup with big wheels that was still low to the ground. Still a little more tweaking and clean up to do before I clear coat em.

Here’s a link to the album with before/after and some commentary:

https://imgur.com/gallery/SC4xSQy
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 06:47:31 PM »
Just did some wheel wells with a wood rasp and they turned out way better than I expected. I just wanted to get a cruiser setup with big wheels that was still low to the ground. Still a little more tweaking and clean up to do before I clear coat em.

what was your technique to this if you can describe it? want to try some bigger wheels with thunders and this could be the ticket...
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 06:55:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
what was your technique to this if you can describe it? want to try some bigger wheels with thunders and this could be the ticket...
Lol. No shit? A wood rasp?
Fuckin A! Good job! Came out really nice. Gonna hit it with clear?

Of. He basically hand filed the wheel wells. Props.

Ol Nick

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 08:47:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The gallery I linked has a bit of an explanation but specific to the tools/technique, after marking where I thought they needed to be placed, I started removing the wood with a wood rasp. I tried to use the point where the truck pivots (I’ve got a set of Thunder 151s on it) and the point where the axle threads would end up in a deep turn as the center line for the rasping motion, starting by removing some wood there and then gradually changing the angle but keeping the handle side of the rasp centered on the truck pivot point so it would make the arc of the outer edge of the well more naturally. Once I got going, it was fairly easy to see/maintain the shape of the well even though I was doing it freehand.
As the well started to get close to the final shape, I had to be a little more careful with the angle of the rasp cause I didn’t want to get too thin at the edges. I was shooting for getting the outer edge just to the end of the fourth ply without going into the fifth but still needed to deepen it further in so I was sort of scraping out wood with short strokes just in the middle of the well, staying off the edge of the board as well as avoiding making the well extend further toward the truck baseplate area. The rasp I used was nowhere near the level of quality that a pro-level tool is so I ended up with some ugly grooves in there but nothing that couldn’t be sanded out. (You can see remnants of the grooves pre- and post-sanding in the photos in the gallery)
The layers of glue create little dark lines as the cut deepens and act as a guide for shaping the well. If they end up as fairly smooth arcs vs. wobbly lines, that’s a good indicator that you have a reasonably smooth and consistent groove in the wood. To test, I started by just remounting trucks with the kingpin nut off and tilting them to see if the greatest depth followed the angle of the axle. Later, I mounted wheels and went out and did my best to lean hard and get them to bite, then went back and deepened the wells in the spots that were still contacting the wheels.
Once I was satisfied with the shape and depth, I just took little pieces of 60-100 grit sandpaper and smoothed everything out by hand. While I found I could alter the shape of the well a bit with sandpaper, I don’t recommend relying on it to make significant changes to the shape, it takes way too long to remove much wood this way. The sandpaper was just to clean them up aesthetically more than anything.
Other than the rasp (mine came with a junior tool set my 5yo got for Christmas) and sandpaper, you just need a pencil and something to measure (I used a flexible metal ruler that I could press down to follow the concave of the board).
I’m happy to clarify anything that’s too vague if you have questions. Overall, it took me maybe four hours over a couple days but I bet my next effort will be quicker now that I’ve done it once. It would’ve been quicker to use a drum sander (don’t own one) or a dremel (have one but I wasn’t confident in my ability to make smooth cuts with the relatively small sanding drums or discs) but I wasn’t bummed by how long it took. I might consider getting a better rasp for next time and maybe looking at what dremel attachments could work for the final sanding step.
Ultimately, being able to roll on 60mm wheels on Thunders with no risers is sick. I highly recommend it.

Ol Nick

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 08:51:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Lol. No shit? A wood rasp?
Fuckin A! Good job! Came out really nice. Gonna hit it with clear?

Of. He basically hand filed the wheel wells. Props.

Thanks! I still have one little spot that’s contacting a wheel that I need to sort out, then I want to sand a little better and throw down some clearcoat. I haven’t researched what would be best quote yet but I imagine it’s easier to find info on what products people finish boards with than it was finding info on making the wheel wells.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 08:51:51 AM »
That's awesome man, the gallery is perfect to see the progress. I'd keep this in mind in the future, have some old decks to test and try it on too.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 09:24:00 AM »
Drum sander and a jig would be ideal, if you want them to look pretty.
I've been trying to unlock home wheel wells for a while now. They're functional, but ugly.

i did mine with a drum sander on a drill press but i need to figure out a jig for the deck. they are pretty close to a factory well, but the edge is all warbley in a couple spots. i want to get them 100% clean next time around
🤙

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2020, 09:19:13 PM »
I just ordered some wood rasps and drum sanders for my dremel so I can master this while I'm stuck indoors. Thanks for the inspiration all you dudes.

Ol Nick

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2020, 06:21:34 PM »
I just ordered some wood rasps and drum sanders for my dremel so I can master this while I'm stuck indoors. Thanks for the inspiration all you dudes.
Stoked to hear/see how it turns out. I’m down to offer any specific guidance I can based on my limited experience. It’s not like we got anything else to do. I might just have to do some more and see if I can improve the process at all. For that matter, I have a dremel sitting around, maybe seeing what you come up with will inspire me to give that a try. I’m curious what sanding drums you’re using.

El Chupacabra

• Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2020, 09:19:48 AM »
Post results! The more info the better. I found my Dremel so I'm gonna hit up a deck with the drum sanders and see what happens. 

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2020, 10:13:33 AM »
I'm still working on it but amazon lost the package with my drum bits so it's taking longer than I thought. Also, with what I have done so far, riding theeves and 59.5mm wheels and no risers is almost possible.

Ol Nick

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2020, 11:26:15 AM »
I'm still working on it but amazon lost the package with my drum bits so it's taking longer than I thought. Also, with what I have done so far, riding theeves and 59.5mm wheels and no risers is almost possible.

Curious to see results if you ever finished this project!

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2020, 11:40:38 AM »
I've made wheel wells by wrapping some grip tape/sandpaper around a cylindrical object e.g. a hairspray aerosol, and then sanding at an angle. Worked fine.

And take the bushings out of trucks, so you can mark where the wheels hit the deck, to get the wells in the correct place.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2020, 11:43:32 AM »
Used those drum sander bits for a power drill...worked pretty good for my first try.

Looks sick. Good job

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2020, 07:42:36 PM »
might be a stupid question but how important is it to put a clear coat on if you dont ride in rain?