Author Topic: Making your own wheel wells?  (Read 10505 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Making your own wheel wells?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2020, 04:03:54 AM »
Need a list of boards with wheels well. Regret passing on the polar team trunk 9.25 board in the fall

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2020, 12:21:52 PM »
I knew I should’ve checked this thread sooner. Ordered a dremel not too long ago, so it seems like I already have a first project for it.

might be a stupid question but how important is it to put a clear coat on if you dont ride in rain?

I’d say better safe than sorry. There’s humidity in the air too, I guess.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Davethedavedave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2020, 10:54:08 PM »
Yes

WorkClothscape

• Rep: 0
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2020, 05:20:18 AM »
Don't know how to embed images.

Anyway, here's my first self-made wheel wells:
https://imgur.com/a/frq6h9G

Takes about a minute / wheel with a power drill and a suitable drill head (I'm no renovator, I don't know what they are called).

After one session, they feel great. What people usually dont know about Thunders is that it is actually a very nicely turning truck. The problem, especially with the lower forged baseplates, is that you get wheelbite before a deep and surfy feeling turn. Try a Thunder on your cruiser setup with risers and you know what I mean. Wheel wells obviously don't give as much clearance as a high riser but its something.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2020, 06:44:54 AM »
Here you go. Want to do this, biting on my dane1 too

WorkClothscape

• Rep: 0
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2020, 07:33:54 AM »
Here you go. Want to do this, biting on my dane1 too

Thanks. Now I got it.

I'm just about to operate my second deck.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1472
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2020, 01:42:27 PM »
Finally finished mine after trying to find my lost dremel for way too long.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBoSuYXlWvK/?igshid=rxyz89xhrav8

Edit: if you're wondering, yes, the red, black, green color scheme is intentional.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:45:22 PM by layzieyez »

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »
Sick! Nice basement curb collection as well.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2020, 10:26:25 AM »
Finally finished mine after trying to find my lost dremel for way too long.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBoSuYXlWvK/?igshid=rxyz89xhrav8

Edit: if you're wondering, yes, the red, black, green color scheme is intentional.
looks great. Any tips for a first timer?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2020, 06:08:42 PM »
First things first, eye protection. Especially if you are going the dremel route. Powertools and debris in you eyes is suck.

I'd never do it to a brand new/never ridden board. Wheelbite intentionally and use those marks to figure out where you need the wheel well.

Take your time and don't be too heavy handed with the rasp. Keep it at a very slight angle and look at the spacing of the layers in professionally created wheel wells.

They don't need to be perfect/even. Some of us are heavier with our turns toe side or heel side. You should know what you need, and do it your way.

I'm never going to be riding this in the rain so anyone with experience in weather proofing these can chime in here.

pedrosanchez

• Rep: 1
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2020, 04:42:51 PM »

First post - sorry if it is all screwed up. Had to learn how to post pics.

This is the method I use to make wheel wells. There are obviously many ways to do this but this works for me.

1. I use my old decks to landmark where my trucks contact the deck and mark it on the new board as the center of the wheel well as best I can. I make 2 more lines on either side of that to use as boundaries I go about 2" wide at the edge of the board.

2. I use a piece of 4" PVC pipe (or whatever you can find in a somewhat similar diameter) and glue a piece of sandpaper to it (I use 60 or 80 grit).

3. I carefully saw in back and forth motion on an angle using the centre line I drew in step 1 to guide me for the angle and the boundary lines to tell me when to stop. I usually go until I hit the 6th layer of wood and then stop there. 

4. I smooth up the wells with finer sandpaper.

5. I use some minwax clear wood finish or whatever is available to seal the spots where I sanded.

This is tedious work and not something I would want to do on many decks at a time, but for me I don't mind doing it.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2020, 07:38:35 PM »
New madness catalog:
"inner wheel wells, no more sharp edge"

Madness_Summer20_D4_Catalog9.jpg

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2020, 09:05:50 PM »
There is a thing called a forstner bit.  Somewhat like a hole saw, but it make blind circular holes and the inside of the circle is removed too.  Might work.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2020, 09:21:24 PM »
There is a thing called a forstner bit.  Somewhat like a hole saw, but it make blind circular holes and the inside of the circle is removed too.  Might work.
Yeah, i can see it...

1-1/2 in. Carbon Steel Forstner Bit at Penn State Industries

Ol Nick

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2020, 02:38:37 PM »
Those Madness wells are tight! Might need to look into that bit.

I’ve been working on my second set of wells, these were started with the wood rasp to get a decent amount of wood  removed and then everything else was with dremel sanding barrels/discs until the last little bit of smoothing by hand. The concave on this deck is so steep that I had to keep going further in cause the inner edge of the wheels were still biting. Seeing the Madness decks above, I think this deck would’ve been a good candidate for that style because the outer edge goes largely untouched by even bigger cruiser wheels.

Oh, the front wells are longer cause I drilled and shortened the wheelbase a couple months ago. Figured I could extend the wells a little in case I decided to use the old truck holes for some reason.

Between the WB reduction and these wells, I can finally enjoy skating this thing. I just couldn’t handle the long WB and steep kicks.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2020, 08:57:08 PM »
Looking great guys.

Right now I'm working on an old deck to skate the roads near my house. I just want to be able to do some basic lines down the road so I can go home for water or cool off. The asphalt is rough enough to need cruiser wheels, but I'm looking to use light blue ricta 78s cruiser wheels I've had for over 12 years with some mini logo trucks.

Low trucks with no risers and cruiser wheels pretty much is asking to get tossed when it bites. Still tuning it but I'll update when I'm done.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:08:24 PM by layzieyez »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2020, 09:12:52 PM »
Those Madness wells are tight! Might need to look into that bit.

I’ve been working on my second set of wells, these were started with the wood rasp to get a decent amount of wood  removed and then everything else was with dremel sanding barrels/discs until the last little bit of smoothing by hand. The concave on this deck is so steep that I had to keep going further in cause the inner edge of the wheels were still biting. Seeing the Madness decks above, I think this deck would’ve been a good candidate for that style because the outer edge goes largely untouched by even bigger cruiser wheels.

Oh, the front wells are longer cause I drilled and shortened the wheelbase a couple months ago. Figured I could extend the wells a little in case I decided to use the old truck holes for some reason.

Between the WB reduction and these wells, I can finally enjoy skating this thing. I just couldn’t handle the long WB and steep kicks.

these look perfect  nice work. Makes me want these tomorrow on my 9”

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2021, 09:35:11 AM »
Have any of you guys experienced issues with durability/likelihood to break/crack in the wheel wells?

I just scooped this piece and I land NOTHING bolts and im afraid its going to break if I land on it wrong. Id rather just keep it for a street cruiser if so...

What is the safest play? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2021, 01:07:50 PM »
I don't think you should worry. Wheel wells are perhaps in the least vulnerable location on a deck for cracking or snapping.

Ol Nick

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2021, 02:59:15 PM »
Yeah, I’m a little over 200lbs and land off-bolts all the time and haven’t had any issues. I don’t usually break boards but I have yet to notice a difference in the decks I’ve done before/after wheel wells other than minimal/non-existent wheel bite. Doesn’t really feel lighter or flip any different, doesn’t seem to flex any more than prior.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2021, 08:11:02 AM »
I was reading through the blog of legendary bicycling blowhard PvD when I came across this. Should be of interest to Slap's wheel wells fans.

http://www.peterverdone.com/1984-2/
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2021, 06:12:23 PM »
I was reading through the blog of legendary bicycling blowhard PvD when I came across this. Should be of interest to Slap's wheel wells fans.

http://www.peterverdone.com/1984-2/

That was an interesting read.

I had been messing around with really rough well wells (angle grinder on old boards) just to see what worked and it is amazing how much more I can turn when taking three layers out where the wheels hit.

Different trucks and even different shaped wheels will all mean the wheelbite can be in a different place on the deck, so I check first and then cut away whatever is needed, have a little skate, cut again, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ53LYtJzs1/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2021, 06:40:42 PM »
legendary bicycling blowhard PvD

LMAO he really is the worst.  Clever as hell but an absolute douche, and even worse if he's actually right about something.