Author Topic: Independent trucks and racist ideology  (Read 97505 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
Independent trucks and racist ideology
« on: April 04, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »
This got me thinking, as the other day Ed Templeton posted photos from a pro-trump rally and one of the marchers was wearing an Independent jacket.  To non-skaters, does the Indy cross come across as a racist symbol?  Would you wear an Indy shirt in Trump's America?  The Manolo/Ben K thread made some points, like don't look like a nazi if you don't want to be lumped in with nazi's.  Does the same hold true for Indy gear?  Yes, it's a different cross, but still... Curious to hear the Pal's thoughts.
you never know about pre-cum 

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
Re: Independent trucks and racist ideology
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:35:14 PM »
I think you're mildly regular.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:39:33 PM »
My one skate friend doesn't ever wear Indy because of the vibe he gets from people who don't skate and wear Indy...I know in the Jim Phillips book he ripped it off the pope and time magazine

JP2 rides the best but doesn't fuck the rest
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:40:17 PM »
*paging the chief and his various brands that had dubious logos*

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:04:32 PM »

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 11:06:22 PM »
I'm more worried of them turning "white heath" into an alt right icon

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 11:08:36 PM »
Expand Quote
I think you're mildly regular.
[close]
Thanks for contributing to the conversation... RTBFTR though, right bro?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 11:26:34 PM »
Why did i think this would have been one of Perverted Super Otaku's thread?

Anyway, the cross is clearly different from the one affiliated with nazis, if you went to a trump rally anywhere else i doubt you'd see any Indy garb, it just happens templeton is in huntington beach and theres a lot of places to buy Indy stuff in that area.

little ones

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 11:29:14 PM »
I dunno maybe casue it is racist they have a lot of white tranny skaters. Plus iron cross logo. Indy is biker raciss.

And who cares? you not gonna buy thier shit or something now?

Indy is kinda bro now, I see people wiith indy shirts an Im like, dis mufucka dont skate.

Can we start on own Jim Jones skateboard island? I be leader. No cool aid this time though.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 11:56:55 PM »

Anyway, the cross is clearly different from the one affiliated with nazis, if you went to a trump rally anywhere else i doubt you'd see any Indy garb, it just happens templeton is in huntington beach and theres a lot of places to buy Indy stuff in that area.

Is it though? Yes it's different, as I said in my original post, but it can easily be mistaken/misinterpreted for something else.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 12:03:07 AM »
I dunno maybe casue it is racist they have a lot of white tranny skaters. Plus iron cross logo. Indy is biker raciss.

And who cares? you not gonna buy thier shit or something now?

Indy is kinda bro now, I see people wiith indy shirts an Im like, dis mufucka dont skate.

Can we start on own Jim Jones skateboard island? I be leader. No cool aid this time though.

This right here but I fucks with Indy regardless. Although lots of monster and metal mulisha in Simi Valley broism too. I like to see the white girlswith pink ruff Ryder bandanas in the back pocket.

They usually have these haircuts
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 03:23:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is it though? Yes it's different, as I said in my original post, but it can easily be mistaken/misinterpreted for something else.

It could well be my saturation to the indy logo that it stands out so clearly as a skateboarding thing, that said googling independent trucks cross brought up an interesting image

This reminds me a lot of a nazi emblem

GeorgeHanson

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 04:08:55 AM »
We live in a post modernist society fuccboi. Keep up.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 04:51:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It could well be my saturation to the indy logo that it stands out so clearly as a skateboarding thing, that said googling independent trucks cross brought up an interesting image

This reminds me a lot of a nazi emblem
'Are we the Baddies?' Mitchell and Webb Funny Nazi Scetch

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 05:21:44 AM »
I think it comes from the biker image that the dudes were into at that time, but yeah i'm sure enough idiots are take it the wrong way, and tyr to wear it as some kind of ideological expression.

Has JT ever addressed the sketchy logos from his companies before? kinda weird, what up with that?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 06:02:40 AM »
I just thought skaters were really into the west coast choppers

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 06:11:29 AM »
I had a girl shit in the late 90's and stopped wearing it to school b/c so many non-skaters would ask me why I had a women's restroom symbol on my shirt.  It got really annoying. 

I had an Indy shirt on in college and a drunk sorority girl yelled, "Hell yeah, GDI!"  GDI is what members of greek orgs call people who aren't in greek orgs- God Damn Independent. 

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 06:22:11 AM »
I'm more concerned with Plan B stealing their logo from Rankin-Bass. I mean, those guys made hella Christmas puppet movies. Rudolph is classic.

cant stop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • It's all about tricks.
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 06:25:19 AM »
When I was 16 I got questioned from another guy in school. He asked me if I was a nazi because or my Independent t-shirt and I told him I yes. Cause being a nazi or a racist is the new black. Especially in 2017.
You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 06:27:04 AM »
forreal though, why is that sorority/frat boy shit so popular in the states? shit seems corny as fuck, they are here(Canada) too but mostly fringe kooks who people ignore, I dont think ive ever met someone who openly admitted to being in one here, thank fuck

Mongoloid

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 06:53:07 AM »
Does Ben K skate Indys?  ;)

Mongoloid

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 07:01:17 AM »
I had a girl shit in the late 90's and stopped wearing it to school b/c so many non-skaters would ask me why I had a women's restroom symbol on my shirt.  It got really annoying. 

I had an Indy shirt on in college and a drunk sorority girl yelled, "Hell yeah, GDI!"  GDI is what members of greek orgs call people who aren't in greek orgs- God Damn Independent. 

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 07:35:03 AM »
I have an indy hoodie with a big iron cross that I somehow acquired, not a big fan of wearing it.

More importantly, does anyone know when the footage of their tour in the latest thrasher comes out?

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 07:36:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hey man.  I was young and experimenting...

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 07:38:44 AM »
This is the first correlation I've ever seen between the Indy logo and "that" iron cross to be honest, from skaters or others. It's a symbol that was used prior to naziism, with similar symbols used by other cultures (see also: the swastika) and if there are any Europeans that can correct me if I'm wrong, is still used in some capacity by the German military. Nazis rip/ripped off all of the symbolism they've ever used that always seems to become associated with those pieces of shit, but I would assume if someone was to see that symbol in particular (since it's used for so much) and you were to explain yourself, issues are unlikely.

If you're looking for something to be offended by, get a fucking life.

Also, I would argue the use of "1-8" could be more correlated with naziism than the iron cross.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 07:43:48 AM »
forreal though, why is that sorority/frat boy shit so popular in the states? shit seems corny as fuck, they are here(Canada) too but mostly fringe kooks who people ignore, I dont think ive ever met someone who openly admitted to being in one here, thank fuck

Maybe it's their way of justifying their $90 000 debt they get once they sign up for an education... ?

HFS40000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 07:46:19 AM »
I've never cared enough about my trucks to wear a shirt that says I care about my trucks.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 07:51:33 AM »
are setups with indys muscle cars while setups with made in china trucks are rice rockets?

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 08:01:59 AM »
I don't think it's often mistaken for the Nazi cross honestly, and I think it's pretty fuckin obvious someone's intentions when they wear an independent shirt (which is like 99% skateboarders and maybe a neo nazi asshole once in awhile). If anything it probably gets mistaken more for west coast choppers or whatever.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 08:23:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Hey man.  I was young and experimenting...