Author Topic: Overpriced or underpriced?  (Read 9666 times)

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Jamu Gost
Re: Overpriced or underpriced?
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2021, 07:06:03 AM »
Expand Quote
$110+ just for a deck in Australia.
[close]

And it is only going higher with the low AU dollar compared to the US, some wholesale prices now over $75 just the deck, plus shipping, which is going to be hard to justify.

Those new FA and Hockey decks were AU$159 from OCD shop in the last lot that came out, and all sold out too.

At one point I seem to recall all pro decks were all around $150 but I cannot exactly remember when, 2000 give or take a few years?  I was riding lots of blanks and seconds and getting by, but things got pretty costly, then the AU dollar went back above the US dollar and many people were enjoying getting lots for half the prices from US shops.

China made blanks still wholesale for $25 to $30 so retail for AU$50 to AU$60 but often don't last more than a session or two under heavy skating.

I would rather the good quality decks than the cheap quick fix, but that is just me.

Better off spending another $20 or so and skating Globe Resin 7 boards instead of blanks or cheap shop boards.

Yeah I think I remember paying $140 for pro Alien Workshop boards around 2001-2002 but it didn't last long for me or my buddies being unemployed teens.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2021, 10:10:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And it is only going higher with the low AU dollar compared to the US, some wholesale prices now over $75 just the deck, plus shipping, which is going to be hard to justify.

Those new FA and Hockey decks were AU$159 from OCD shop in the last lot that came out, and all sold out too.

At one point I seem to recall all pro decks were all around $150 but I cannot exactly remember when, 2000 give or take a few years?  I was riding lots of blanks and seconds and getting by, but things got pretty costly, then the AU dollar went back above the US dollar and many people were enjoying getting lots for half the prices from US shops.

China made blanks still wholesale for $25 to $30 so retail for AU$50 to AU$60 but often don't last more than a session or two under heavy skating.

I would rather the good quality decks than the cheap quick fix, but that is just me.
[close]

Better off spending another $20 or so and skating Globe Resin 7 boards instead of blanks or cheap shop boards.

Yeah I think I remember paying $140 for pro Alien Workshop boards around 2001-2002 but it didn't last long for me or my buddies being unemployed teens.

I had that dipped ave deck I know what you’re talking about, yep close to 140 at st skate supply
Mother threw out my fuct polo club jumper that I also got from there

Just go through mates that use bbs, hit me up if you need
These days you gotta do what’s best for you ay
listen to cosmic psychos

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2021, 01:09:07 PM »
Last generator board I bought was 80 Euros which is insane, the only alternative in Europe is HLC and all decks I tried were awful.

Crail and Dwindle boards are around 60 Euros and seems a better option than Any Jart board even if they're 10 euros less.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2021, 02:26:12 PM »
I would gladly pay $70. I am glad prices are rising. It seems like Skateshops and board companies are just breaking even or doing it for the love, which is dumb. it'd be cool if the actual think we skate, the deck, could generate a little profit, instead of everyone having to do some Sci-Fi Fantasy $120 hoodie style "drop", selling dunks to people that don't actually skate, or weed socks on the side to turn a profit.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2021, 02:41:10 PM »
Overpriced exactly why I skate blanks if I can buy them in bulk even better

gyros4heroes

• Rep: -20
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2021, 11:36:17 PM »
Vice frames the question oddly. The price of boards should be decreasing not increasing.

It's unclear whether the price bumps of 2020 were due to fundamental costs increasing (wood prices, logistics, etc) or the retailers just all jumped at an opportunity to raise prices. I heard from a not totally unreliable source that the temporary board shortage and subsequent price increase was not actually because of wood shortage or manufacturing capacity but due to a shortage of heat transfer film?  wonder if anyone else heard that

anywhere outside the USA the wild costs of skate equipment are mainly due to tariffs.

I am pretty sure the shortage was an effect of rising demand and delayed production as everyone and their mom seemed to have picked up skateboarding during the first lockdown when all manufacturers had closed their facilities.
In the UK/Europe prices were not like that until last year though. There had been a slight increase in some brands prices after FA introduced a higher price tag. During the last 12 months there have been two 5GBP increases among all prices for decks. The only ones to stay the same are HLC decks

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2021, 03:50:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have to strongly disagree with the china made blanks only lasting a session or two. They are all I have ridden {australian shop boards/blanks - which are all the same china blanks} since 2o11. I guess I have the fact that I'm light on my side maybe...but I skate just as hard/harder than most people I know and the boards are absolutely fine. I've never understood anyone talking shit about the weight of shopboards {which I have heard A LOT} or whatever else their problem is and needing to spend double what I do to skate no better/no easier than I do. It's simply untrue. I know lots of guys that skate shopboards that rip and aren't replacing their boards that quickly at all. It's a topic that absolutely confuses me. I think people just like to have brands under their feet - which is fine, but I feel no allegiance to any board brand. What is a quality deck? What does that mean? To me it's a board that operates as I expect a skateboard to and doesn't break. Maybe it does all come down to me being a light-framed dude that has never really snapped boards {have snapped certainly less than 1o boards in my 25 years of skating} - I think I weigh 65kg. But then I would think the supposed extra weight of these shop boards would make it hard for me to skate them - which it is not at all. Have never had one delaminate or any other weirdness either. Not trying to argue at all - just expressing my confusion. Could you tell me what's wrong with these boards @Mbrimson88
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2021, 04:33:41 AM »
It’s funny how alien has not changed their graphics but are still considered cool.
Limitless by design i guess

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2021, 04:49:45 AM »
That board I was talking about was in 2003 I don’t know if y’all millionaires or just sponsored but yeah I can’t afford that shit
Not that I even break boards last one I broke was focus but yeah, soo much money spent in past
They owe
listen to cosmic psychos

Trilogy

• Rep: -257
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2021, 05:17:30 AM »
Skateboarding is an expensive activity, specially because is practiced by kids who depend on their parents, unless they are really good and are lucky to be sponsored, but that's rare.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2021, 06:15:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have to strongly disagree with the china made blanks only lasting a session or two. They are all I have ridden {australian shop boards/blanks - which are all the same china blanks} since 2o11. I guess I have the fact that I'm light on my side maybe...but I skate just as hard/harder than most people I know and the boards are absolutely fine. I've never understood anyone talking shit about the weight of shopboards {which I have heard A LOT} or whatever else their problem is and needing to spend double what I do to skate no better/no easier than I do. It's simply untrue. I know lots of guys that skate shopboards that rip and aren't replacing their boards that quickly at all. It's a topic that absolutely confuses me. I think people just like to have brands under their feet - which is fine, but I feel no allegiance to any board brand. What is a quality deck? What does that mean? To me it's a board that operates as I expect a skateboard to and doesn't break. Maybe it does all come down to me being a light-framed dude that has never really snapped boards {have snapped certainly less than 1o boards in my 25 years of skating} - I think I weigh 65kg. But then I would think the supposed extra weight of these shop boards would make it hard for me to skate them - which it is not at all. Have never had one delaminate or any other weirdness either. Not trying to argue at all - just expressing my confusion. Could you tell me what's wrong with these boards @Mbrimson88

Ok, so I heavily revised what I had been about to post, sent you a DM instead, given you are here in AU as well and know what we are talking about, but this is a simple version for all.

The issue I have with those blanks is NOT where they are made, but down to concave and kicks - I just cannot ride them, as they are too steep for my old busted ankles, so I ride BBS boards, usually with mellow concave, which are exactly the size, shape, concave and kicks I am comfortable with.  As I don't break boards, I can afford whatever I want and it will last a decent amount of time, so I am happy to pay whatever is needed to get this.  There are lots of people in the same category as me, who don't like the size, the shape, the weight or whatever, so will not ride those decks.

Others I skate with who do demolish whatever boards they ride within a few sessions, sometimes even a few hours, only buy these as they don't care so much if they break a $30 deck rather than a $60 or $100+ going by RRP more so than wholesale prices.  It is interesting to note that these blanks last on average half the time that other pro boards have for them, but that is their own issue, not mine.

The only other thing to note is that everyone is different, so how one person skates and how they land or what they do can be completely different to others, but in general, many people who have skated these boards find them to be more of a last resort or a go to if they cannot get whatever else they want, or just need something cheap to get them through.  I let people make up their own minds about whatever boards they buy, but it is very interesting hearing the general conversation round what they like to skate and what they find breaks more easily.

If I was breaking boards, I would definitely think twice about what I bought or had to spend and certainly could not afford to be skating at all like some others do, when they are breaking so many decks so frequently. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:23:36 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2021, 08:38:56 PM »
Look I’m old and I don’t ollie down anything I can’t ollie up and even with those ones that cost 50 at city beach I would take ages to break one even years ago when I skated more often

Maybe these guys are jumping down proper hectic shit, there are guys that just go through boards and will just huck themselves until they land it, the board breaks, or they do
I don’t know and I don’t know enough about it to properly articulate myself but it’s something to do with concaves and or the glue they spec with polar
The cheap ones are fucking fine but that bbs shit is unreal hey

Fucking good boards man
Or maybe I’m just some old cunt I honestly don’t know just my two cents
listen to cosmic psychos

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2021, 07:53:46 AM »
Deck prices have remained more or less unaffected by inflation over the last 20 years.  So, are they currently underpriced?  Or, were they overpriced 20 years ago? 

What’s the most you’d be willing to pay for a basic, 7-ply maple deck?  $60?  $65?  $70?

Here’s a page out of the 1999 1997 CCS catalogue...

EDIT: My mistake.  This is from the 1997 catalogue.  Sorry!

everything is being overpriced now. the cost to make the board is still the same. i only buy dwindle bargain decks for $35 and might splurge on a wide boi shaped board which i have to pay full price which i dont mind for artwork from FOS love the art on all heroin decks and try to buy guest artwork by him. girl/chocolate is at least keeping their decks at $55 when all other brands have tried jumping up to $65

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2021, 08:23:12 AM »
Weird one is passport in Aus. They were the cheapest for years usually $100 and some places would do 20% off for over $200 so I'd normally get two for $80 each.
Now passports are $120

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 280
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2021, 10:20:40 AM »
Deck prices have remained more or less unaffected by inflation over the last 20 years.  So, are they currently underpriced?  Or, were they overpriced 20 years ago? 

What’s the most you’d be willing to pay for a basic, 7-ply maple deck?  $60?  $65?  $70?

Here’s a page out of the 1999 1997 CCS catalogue...

EDIT: My mistake.  This is from the 1997 catalogue.  Sorry!

That Workshop Matrix deck was my first board. However, I never knew it was a slick. I'm shocked. It feels like when you think you are one nationality all your life then find out your ancestors are from a totally other part of the world.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2021, 10:27:57 AM »
Skateboarding is an expensive activity, specially because is practiced by kids who depend on their parents, unless they are really good and are lucky to be sponsored, but that's rare.

Skateboarding is not expensive at all as a hobby/sport when you're an adult.  I have friends into golf, boating, modifying cars, gambling, wine, getting divorced, etc.  Those are expensive hobbies. 

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2021, 11:47:20 AM »
Weird one is passport in Aus. They were the cheapest for years usually $100 and some places would do 20% off for over $200 so I'd normally get two for $80 each.
Now passports are $120

Kind of fucked that I can pay way less in the states to get one of your Ozzy company's boards than you do in your inverted land.  Last Passport I added to the pile, maybe two months ago, was a sale board and I think I paid $45 US (free shipping because I got another board at the same time).  You guys should riot. 

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2021, 10:06:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Now passports are $120
[close]

Kind of fucked that I can pay way less in the states to get one of your Ozzy company's boards than you do in your inverted land.  Last Passport I added to the pile, maybe two months ago, was a sale board and I think I paid $45 US (free shipping because I got another board at the same time).  You guys should riot.

Also interesting to note that Passport might have originated in brand here, but have always used BBS wood (made in Mexico), which is still cheaper to get into the USA compared to shipping it half way round the world to here in AU.

If you look well enough, you can still get boards for under AU$100 easily enough with discount codes or other means, but the RRP of anything like pro wood is well up into the higher $$ nowdays, no matter where the brand started.

There are other Aussie brands on cheap wood that are in shops for the same price, that I would never touch, purely based on the board quality / woodshop they came from, but that is another thing entirely.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2021, 10:58:37 PM »
That board I was talking about was in 2003 I don’t know if y’all millionaires or just sponsored but yeah I can’t afford that shit
Not that I even break boards last one I broke was focus but yeah, soo much money spent in past
They owe
I’m not a millionaire but I buy way more boards than I need, usually from people that are hooked up but in conclusion THEY OWE!! Gnarred

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2021, 11:40:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Now passports are $120
[close]

[close]

Also interesting to note that Passport might have originated in brand here, but have always used BBS wood (made in Mexico), which is still cheaper to get into the USA compared to shipping it half way round the world to here in AU.

If you look well enough, you can still get boards for under AU$100 easily enough with discount codes or other means, but the RRP of anything like pro wood is well up into the higher $$ nowdays, no matter where the brand started.

There are other Aussie brands on cheap wood that are in shops for the same price, that I would never touch, purely based on the board quality / woodshop they came from, but that is another thing entirely.

I wasn't really trying to complain just pointing out how prices change around.
Ten years ago I didn't get why people bought janoskis you could get two pairs of vans for the same price. Now nikes are way cheaper than vans.
Around 2012-2015 DC's were cheaper in Aus than in the US.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2021, 03:18:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Now passports are $120
[close]

[close]

[close]

I wasn't really trying to complain just pointing out how prices change around.
Ten years ago I didn't get why people bought janoskis you could get two pairs of vans for the same price. Now nikes are way cheaper than vans.
Around 2012-2015 DC's were cheaper in Aus than in the US.

Yeah I understand what you were saying, and never thought you were trying to complain so all good there.

Sent you a message anyway - easier to give you some info on local discounts, etc.