Author Topic: Independent trucks and racist ideology  (Read 97494 times)

versacekid420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Independent trucks and racist ideology
« Reply #600 on: October 14, 2021, 09:56:44 AM »
Expand Quote
i’m sure this already known, but the comments on any and every indy post is beyond hilarious
[close]

Grown men are really, *really* upset that their favorite company has a different logo now
its the best thing to do for a quick laugh. “the new logo sucks bring back the cross!” “no cross no purchase from me” “i don’t care if it’s a red blue green or rainbow, put a fuckin cross on it!!!!”

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #601 on: October 14, 2021, 10:06:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i’m sure this already known, but the comments on any and every indy post is beyond hilarious
[close]

Grown men are really, *really* upset that their favorite company has a different logo now
[close]
its the best thing to do for a quick laugh. “the new logo sucks bring back the cross!” “no cross no purchase from me” “i don’t care if it’s a red blue green or rainbow, put a fuckin cross on it!!!!”

There's always someone who says "Go woke, go broke." Sure dude, you're gonna switch to Theeve because Indy stopped putting a logo on a t-shirt.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #602 on: October 14, 2021, 10:09:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Man.  Those guys are really attached to a logo they have nothing to do with.  I guess good branding by Indy?   Trucks are trucks.  I've ridden Indy, Venture, and Thunder.  They are not that different.  It's like the guys on here who get all upset over a .1" difference in wheelbase.  Like Zorlac used to say, "Shut up and skate." 

I even have a set of Royals on my cruiser b/c Crail was selling the narrow ones for like $9.95 on some crazy clearance sale.  They are not that bad.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #603 on: October 14, 2021, 10:11:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Man.  Those guys are really attached to a logo they have nothing to do with.  I guess good branding by Indy?   Trucks are trucks.  I've ridden Indy, Venture, and Thunder.  They are not that different.  It's like the guys on here who get all upset over a .1" difference in wheelbase.  Like Zorlac used to say, "Shut up and skate." 

I even have a set of Royals on my cruiser b/c Crail was selling the narrow ones for like $9.95 on some crazy clearance sale.  They are not that bad.
i despise royal but hey 9.95 for some trucks is hard to beat especially coming from a somewhat reputable and established company.

work_lurker

• Rep: 61
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #604 on: October 14, 2021, 11:19:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
i despise royal but hey 9.95 for some trucks is hard to beat especially coming from a somewhat reputable and established company.

They aren’t that bad until your kingpin snaps in half just from pushing down the street.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

StillTryin

• Rep: 41
« Reply #605 on: October 14, 2021, 11:46:03 AM »
those new Krux trucks that say RACISM on the hangar.

Felt pretty awkward googling that.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #606 on: October 14, 2021, 11:57:08 AM »
If youve ever paid for truck merch I worry for you
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #607 on: October 14, 2021, 12:05:32 PM »
If youve ever paid for truck merch I worry for you

I bought one of those little Ace truck lapel pins in order to make free shipping once. It was $5 for shipping or $6 for a cute pin.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

indysk8r

• Rep: -22
« Reply #608 on: October 14, 2021, 02:15:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think you're mildly regular.
[close]
[close]
Thanks for contributing to the conversation... RTBFTR though, right bro?

i think ur worried about shit that doesnt matter, just be nice to people, wear the clothes you like.

Heywood Jeblowme

• Rep: -23
« Reply #609 on: October 14, 2021, 03:06:09 PM »
Have a purple Indy cross tattoo to make fun of the skate jocks that rep Indy like a sports team. Upset about it because Indy is now a Chinese shit product.

What’s my best option when these break for pools, curbs, hillbombs?

I haven’t skated anything other than Indy’s since 2005.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #610 on: October 14, 2021, 03:21:14 PM »
Have a purple Indy cross tattoo to make fun of the skate jocks that rep Indy like a sports team. Upset about it because Indy is now a Chinese shit product.

You could always pay a premium for old trucks on ebay or just constantly check offer up

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #611 on: October 14, 2021, 03:21:20 PM »

sure that’s why you got it but aces

Heywood Jeblowme

• Rep: -23
« Reply #612 on: October 14, 2021, 03:32:35 PM »
Yeah sure stoner 19 year olds aren’t stupid cunts who think a purple Indy tat is edgy in ‘08.

Ace looks the best for slapping and smacking.

Brguy

« Reply #613 on: October 14, 2021, 04:17:36 PM »
The new logo sucks because it still has the same shape as the old one, only without a cross, who the hell even makes this stuff? Lazy bums.

billy_pilgrimspecker

• Rep: 4
  • "You never know who’ll get one"
« Reply #614 on: October 14, 2021, 05:56:24 PM »
Chinese Indys with Riptide pivot cups are the best thing I've skated. I think quality control stayed consistent with everything but the pivot cups, which are better now apparently. Riptide is made in the USA, and after I bought one set ($18) for my main setup I immediately got more for my cruiser, my rough pavement setup, and a backup pair. That being said, Riptide could make them in China for cheaper with the same quality if they chose to--China makes everything, from the worst to the best, and "made in China" doesn't necessarily mean lower quality (I think that was more true in the past). All that being said, wish the jobs stayed in the USA and I wish workers all over the world got way more of a share of the value they create. Once Chinese working-class parents can afford Christmas completes for their kids, we're going to see some fucking amazing skating coming out of China.

WadeDes

• Rep: -1
« Reply #615 on: October 15, 2021, 12:38:34 AM »
Personally I do not have a problem with Indy switching logo's, because of the hype around ACE I finally tried something different for a change and I'm quiet positive about it. Yet I'm baffled by the rhetoric that because the nazi's used a symbol that symbol now became the embodiment of racism. If you willingly refute all empirical examples where the iron crossed has been used before ww2 (crusades for example, which are also ethically questionable), or the fact that the previous covered medal of honor was also used before the nazi regime, to me only shows the limitedness of your knowledge. Symbols an sich do not embody ideology, humanity assigns conceptual ideology to symbols, it's a social construct. In this interpretation one could view skateboarding as a symbol of white western colonialism and capitalism, questioning the morality of skateboarding. Yet we also see al the good skateboarding brings across the globe. I think companies are entitled to change whatever they see fit to change in their own company. However when it comes to morality I do not think we should be the one's to judge what is right or not as our judgement will always be limited by subjective interpretation and/or understanding of the world.
As a wise man once said, Beyond good and evil lays a garden, I'll meet you there.   

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: Independent trucks and death penalty ideology
« Reply #616 on: October 15, 2021, 01:25:56 AM »
Expand Quote

I'm not Christian, i'm not racist, i just like to hang people for no valid reason
[close]

Not sure if you got the allegory, but read the next to last sentence if you took my post literally--I think the sarcasm is too on-the-surface to have to type "/s" like this was Reddit. I got the idea from an old Bill Hicks bit comparing the Christian cross to wearing a gold sniper rifle necklace because you're a fan of John F. Kennedy.

no worries
that was just a pat on the back for the effort, i can't gnar yet

Anti waxxer

• Rep: -12
« Reply #617 on: October 15, 2021, 02:50:58 AM »
I always thought the Indy logo was like fireman shit for the longest time growing up cause firemen have a cross thing they rock. I was never like ooh those trucks are racist. I dont really care cause after a few months of skating it comes off the baseplate anyway. Just think everyone is borderline fucking regular for getting upset in either direction about it. If a logo you scratch off makes you upset you got issues and if you are upset that the logo you scratch off isn’t there and you are upset about it you also have issues.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
Re: Independent trucks and death penalty ideology
« Reply #618 on: October 15, 2021, 03:10:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I'm not Christian, i'm not racist, i just like to hang people for no valid reason
[close]

Not sure if you got the allegory, but read the next to last sentence if you took my post literally--I think the sarcasm is too on-the-surface to have to type "/s" like this was Reddit. I got the idea from an old Bill Hicks bit comparing the Christian cross to wearing a gold sniper rifle necklace because you're a fan of John F. Kennedy.
[close]

I really don't want anyone to take my post literally so, because there are people in this world who actually are stupid enough to wear crosses because they are pro-execution,  I added "It's like historical and current cultural context doesn't respect my personal reasons for wearing those images and it's not fair" to make it clear (I thought) that I'm making fun of people who act like the general public doesn't see the Indy logo as racist even though that wasn't its creator's intention. I'm making fun of people who argue with closed-circuit-loop logic which ignores all context and outside perspective. I graduated HS in 2003 in rural Kentucky and a lot of us didn't wear the Indy cross back then because racist rednecks all thought it was some KKK shit. Reading this thread, it's pretty obvious that a lot of us have experience with people thinking the Indy cross is a white power symbol. I have the little cross logo sticker on the bottom of my deck because I know that nobody who sees the bottom of my skateboard will think it's a racist symbol, but I've never worn the Indy cross on a shirt because it's been obvious to me since I was a kid that most people (at least where I'm from) see it and think it's a white power symbol. It doesn't matter that they're technically incorrect because they're not familiar with that symbol in any other context (i.e. they have no idea what "skateboard trucks" are), so to wear it where I'm from is to be cool with being associated with the most horrible groups of people in our country. It's just obvious that if you're from the rural south you do not wear the Indy logo unless you don't mind being associated with the KKK, but I understand that it's not that way everywhere. Just please don't think I'm actually out here wearing crosses and nooses supporting the death penalty.

You don’t have to explain shit
That was some funny shit you said before
listen to cosmic psychos