Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 12502 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gardening
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »
Not sure if there's another thread ongoing concerning gardening, but this one popped up when I did a search.

What's everyone growing?

I'm mostly into growing chilies but  I also replant scallions into a pot  on my balcony since they're really easy to regrow. Last year I grew Carolina Reapers, Lemon Aji's, Black Scorpion Tongues, and Bonda Ma Jacques. Thinking about growing some aji charapitas, rocotos, sugar rush peach, and el oro de ecuador's this year.

Rocoto are wicked good! I've been using rocoto limon pepper sauce on most everything ineqt for the past couple years. This old hippie in town grows peppers and makes sauces. Super super bomb. I've got some old glass windows/frames that I'm planning to use for a quick hot house and give peppers a shot. It generally stays too cold to grow tomatoes and peppers unless you've got supplemental heating

I built new raised beds out of scrap last weekend. We have 4 at this point and there's a pile of clean dirt that's better than fill (I dig around yesterday and saw a decent amount of worms) on the property that I will use to mix with a truck load of royal gold soil that's heavily discounted in bulk. It will be cool if I can build/fill and fees all the current beds and the 4 more I want to build for around 100 dollars. I think it can happen.

Anyone have experience with a potato barrel? That's something I figure I'll start next month. 30 gallon barrel full of spuds!

Pole beans
Lettuce
Potato
Peppers
Calendula
Marigold
Basil
Sage
Chamomile
Ganja
 8)
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2021, 12:44:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not sure if there's another thread ongoing concerning gardening, but this one popped up when I did a search.

What's everyone growing?

I'm mostly into growing chilies but  I also replant scallions into a pot  on my balcony since they're really easy to regrow. Last year I grew Carolina Reapers, Lemon Aji's, Black Scorpion Tongues, and Bonda Ma Jacques. Thinking about growing some aji charapitas, rocotos, sugar rush peach, and el oro de ecuador's this year.
[close]
I sort of stick to the basics.  Red, yellow, and green bell peppers, jalapenos, habaneros, banana peppers, grape and big beef tomatoes. Various types of cucumber. I TRY to do zucchini, but I get squash vine borers pretty bad in my area and they're usually ruined after one harvest.  It's funny you mentioned the sugar rush peach, I tried those last year and they're really good and produce lots of fruit but took FOREVER to ripen.
[close]

Sounds like a nice combination of things you have growing. I'd probably try add bell peppers to my bunch next but tomatoes also grow well with chllies. Living in Germany, it's kind of a bitch to grow chillies. Kind of a bitch to grow anything that needs warm weather/sun ha.
[close]
Yeah bell peppers are pretty much a staple for me, and they fit in with about everything I cook.  Last year with covid in full force we leaned heavily on the garden and almost nothing went to waste.  For me that's always been the most appealing part of gardening, the self sufficiency and being able to utilize the literal fruits of your labor.

I think covid is also what got me into gardening more. It actually started with me making hot sauces but any pepper that's not a normal bell pepper is pretty hard to find here. Fortunately I'm pretty close to a Vietnamese market where I live and there's a place there that sells habaneros and thai chilli's at 7 euros per kilo.

That led me to wanting to grow my own and I picked up the peppers/seeds I mentioned earlier from a local pepper group. People basically give them away here when winter comes unless they're planning to overwinter everything on their balcony. Fell in love with the Aji's over the super hots I have. So I actually decided on what new stuff I'm going to grow this season - sugar rush peach, Brazilian pumpkin, aji mango, manzano, el oro de Ecuador, and charapitas.

But I'd like to start growing more "food food" at some point. Right now I'm really enjoying growing rare/hard to find chllies. The last hot sauce I made was with lemon aji's, reapers, yellow bell peppers, garlic, and pineapple mixed with some indian spices like ajwain, hing powder, amchoor which came out really tasty.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2021, 05:23:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

What's everyone growing?

[close]
I sort of stick to the basics.  Red, yellow, and green bell peppers, jalapenos, habaneros, banana peppers, grape and big beef tomatoes. Various types of cucumber. I TRY to do zucchini, but I get squash vine borers pretty bad in my area and they're usually ruined after one harvest.  It's funny you mentioned the sugar rush peach, I tried those last year and they're really good and produce lots of fruit but took FOREVER to ripen.
[close]

Sounds like a nice combination of things you have growing. I'd probably try add bell peppers to my bunch next but tomatoes also grow well with chllies. Living in Germany, it's kind of a bitch to grow chillies. Kind of a bitch to grow anything that needs warm weather/sun ha.
[close]
Yeah bell peppers are pretty much a staple for me, and they fit in with about everything I cook.  Last year with covid in full force we leaned heavily on the garden and almost nothing went to waste.  For me that's always been the most appealing part of gardening, the self sufficiency and being able to utilize the literal fruits of your labor.
[close]

I think covid is also what got me into gardening more. It actually started with me making hot sauces but any pepper that's not a normal bell pepper is pretty hard to find here. Fortunately I'm pretty close to a Vietnamese market where I live and there's a place there that sells habaneros and thai chilli's at 7 euros per kilo.

That led me to wanting to grow my own and I picked up the peppers/seeds I mentioned earlier from a local pepper group. People basically give them away here when winter comes unless they're planning to overwinter everything on their balcony. Fell in love with the Aji's over the super hots I have. So I actually decided on what new stuff I'm going to grow this season - sugar rush peach, Brazilian pumpkin, aji mango, manzano, el oro de Ecuador, and charapitas.

But I'd like to start growing more "food food" at some point. Right now I'm really enjoying growing rare/hard to find chllies. The last hot sauce I made was with lemon aji's, reapers, yellow bell peppers, garlic, and pineapple mixed with some indian spices like ajwain, hing powder, amchoor which came out really tasty.
Sounds like a good sauce. Do you grow raised beds? Pots? Both? Do you start most of your stuff from seed, or started plants? 

Get hungry on it!

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2021, 01:25:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

What's everyone growing?

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Sounds like a good sauce. Do you grow raised beds? Pots? Both? Do you start most of your stuff from seed, or started plants?

I usually do all my peppers in pots and have a little garden bed for mostly scallions/herbs. I think the pots fit my balcony set up best and I have to bring everything in over the winter - which is like 9 months out of the year here.

I started everything I have now from seed - lemon aji's, reapers, bulgarian carrot peppers, and Bonda's. For the herbs/scallions I just replanted all those from what I'd bought at the grocery store.

For the order I just placed, I actually did decide to try ordering some plants. So we'll see how that goes - never ordered plants online before. So I'll actually be getting plants for everything I mentioned above aside from the Brazilian pumpkin and el oro de Ecuador. Was kind of torn on whether or not to get the plants/seeds - getting plants feels kind of like cheating, ha. But it was only a couple of euros more to get the plants and I can save all the seeds for next year. I did email them and ask if I started seeds now vs getting their plants which would be more mature and they said their plants would, which makes sense. They said the plants should be around 12 inches when I receive them.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2021, 12:51:05 PM »
Well, pretty much all my chilli seeds have sprouted now.

I wasn't going to grow any super hots this year but I froze about 100 reaper peppers. As an experiment, I wanted to see if the seeds would still sprout and they did so I may grow another reaper plant or two. They're great for only needing one pepper to add to a hot sauce but that's about it, imho. 

Most chilies I'm growing are of the capsicum baccatum variety this year. The Lemon Aji I overwintered is already starting to produce. Gonna move it into a 32 Liter pot soon. Hopefully have a little jungle by the time next winter comes around.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2021, 01:32:31 PM »
i made a test bog. this is to make sure i don't kill everything with my soil mix and water before going ham and making like a 10x15 ft version of this.

it's got in there so far:
cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon)
red pitcher plant (Sarracenia rubra)
purple pitcher plant (Sarracenia purpurea)
golden colicroot (Aletris aurea)
coastal plain tickseed (Coreopsis gladiata)
savanna rattlesnake master (Eryngium synchaetum)

i'm also trying to grow some rare species from seed, including Echinacea laevigata, Eurybia spectabilis, Parthenium auriculatum, Liatris squarrulosa, and Stachys matthewsii... but i have no idea what i'm doing here to be honest and i'm probably gonna get like 0% germination on any of them. oh and betaphenyl is gonna send me some seed to uh, propagate.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2021, 04:19:48 PM »
i made a test bog. this is to make sure i don't kill everything with my soil mix and water before going ham and making like a 10x15 ft version of this.

it's got in there so far:
cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon)
red pitcher plant (Sarracenia rubra)
purple pitcher plant (Sarracenia purpurea)
golden colicroot (Aletris aurea)
coastal plain tickseed (Coreopsis gladiata)
savanna rattlesnake master (Eryngium synchaetum)

i'm also trying to grow some rare species from seed, including Echinacea laevigata, Eurybia spectabilis, Parthenium auriculatum, Liatris squarrulosa, and Stachys matthewsii... but i have no idea what i'm doing here to be honest and i'm probably gonna get like 0% germination on any of them. oh and betaphenyl is gonna send me some seed to uh, propagate.

You'll do well man! For most seeds, you can treat like this...

Add seeds to a plastic cup with water at room temp for approximately 12-36 hours. Bang the cup on a table and when the seeds sink, they are ready.

Take out most of the water. Drain maybe an inch or so into a paper towel with the seeds. Fold over the paper towel, put in a ziplock bag in the dark. Check at about 24 hours.

Once the seeds have a tap root, gently create a hole in the soil, about an inch down, insert seed(taproot facing down), then gently cover back up with soil and lightly water.

This way you know exactly what is going to grow and what wont germinate
Gentleman ninja warlock

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2021, 08:19:39 PM »
here's some beds I built outta scrap. mix of old old old cedar fence, redwood planks, and non-treated commercial wood used for a cement work. they're a little janky but I didn't pay for anything used in construction, so I'm pretty happy. That pile/tarp off to the side is covering a truck load of clean fill that's got a surprisingly diverse amount of life in it. As soon as I realized the fill was good/clean, I made these babies quite a bit deeper. I didn't want to pay for dirt!!! Once I get my hardware mesh this week, I'm gonna fill most of these with fill, some good soil from my buddy, worm castings, chicken shit, and get it going. This spot has almost full sun too, so it's extra stoke

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2021, 03:58:38 AM »
here's some beds I built outta scrap. mix of old old old cedar fence, redwood planks, and non-treated commercial wood used for a cement work. they're a little janky but I didn't pay for anything used in construction, so I'm pretty happy. That pile/tarp off to the side is covering a truck load of clean fill that's got a surprisingly diverse amount of life in it. As soon as I realized the fill was good/clean, I made these babies quite a bit deeper. I didn't want to pay for dirt!!! Once I get my hardware mesh this week, I'm gonna fill most of these with fill, some good soil from my buddy, worm castings, chicken shit, and get it going. This spot has almost full sun too, so it's extra stoke

Nice work!

Depending on what you want to grow, I'd probably leave out the chicken shit. It's relatively hot(high nitrogen content)

Also, remember folk, check the ph of your water!!!!!5.8-6.2 is about ideal!
Gentleman ninja warlock

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2021, 11:29:16 AM »
My backyard is getting fenced in so I can grow stuff without fear of deer.

I'm going to attempt this:

https://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/many-benefits-hugelkultur

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2021, 02:44:15 PM »
Nice thread! At the moment I have a hard enough time keeping my spider plant alive, but I'll be moving next year and look forward to be trying my hand at (organic) gardening. Since I can't get any hands-on experience until then, I was wondering if any of you could recommend some good reading materials for the complete novice?

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2021, 06:04:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice work!

Depending on what you want to grow, I'd probably leave out the chicken shit. It's relatively hot(high nitrogen content)

Also, remember folk, check the ph of your water!!!!!5.8-6.2 is about ideal!

This thread is perfect maybe you guys can help me

Yeah IusedToSkateMore I have read that you wanna to cedar or redwood. Maybe you can help me here

This is a good year off but I’m just trying to be organised and have a plan so my mums building her retirement house and there’s heaps of spaces for edible gardens

We want to run a whole bunch of planters that way we can put mad soil in there and also so she’s not bending over constantly
Trying to figure out making everything in a way that will be the least work for her
I was gonna get real anal about it and have a think about where the sun is and have it all worked out like what gets planted where

Are there any good resources about garden design and irrigation, shit like that can anyone point me in the right direction there’s heaps of books to go through but has anyone come across a real good one?
Cheers
listen to cosmic psychos

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2021, 10:04:41 PM »
I moved in to an ex partner's place and the garden is heavily overrun. Vegetable patch is out of control with weeds and the rest of the garden is full of knee high grass. What's the best/quickest way to deal with it all? Preferably something that isn't too environmentally taxing or toxic. I just want to lay down mulch on larger parts and start new vegetable patches from scratch. I don't own tools so the beds won't be raised.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2021, 05:15:37 AM »
Bout to get into permaculture, any slap heads on that trip?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2021, 09:56:13 AM »
I moved in to an ex partner's place and the garden is heavily overrun. Vegetable patch is out of control with weeds and the rest of the garden is full of knee high grass. What's the best/quickest way to deal with it all? Preferably something that isn't too environmentally taxing or toxic. I just want to lay down mulch on larger parts and start new vegetable patches from scratch. I don't own tools so the beds won't be raised.
Heavy rocks and pet food bags or thick plastic. They're basically mini tarps that starve the vegetation underneath it of air/light while the sun helps and worms/bugs break it down. Cardboard might work, too.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2021, 04:29:31 PM »
@matty_c

really, it's cool to use whatever you can find for lumber as far as I'm concerned, but then again, I'm not building these for long term because I'm a renter and am not investing more than my labor into a property that I don't own. I also live I an area where there's lumber yards/mills all over the place. scrap wood is fairly easy to come by. I'm not sure what y'all have for options where you're at in AU. But if you look at the larger of the boxes I slapped together, it's roughly 24" or 61cm tall. It will require a fair amount of dirt but less bending. A deep box is also going to allow for deeper roots to grow inside the structure- I've gotta keep the bottom closed off with cardboard and wire this year to stop invasive grass grow and gophers.

you're spot on about paying attention to where the sun is. In my case, I've been waking up early to see how and when shade is cast due to structures on the property. Soon, I'll start to figure how it will go throughout the summer and other seasons. Different plants like different amounts of sunlight.

Do an internet search for plants that grow well in your zone. this link shows what hardiness zone you're working in https://www.gardenia.net/guide/australian-hardiness-zones

do you have access to a lawn mower, to take care of the tall grass? I know where I'm at, some stores rent out tools for a fee. Could chop down the tall grass with a machete if you don't want to pull it by hand or use a mower/weed whacker. Then you could use a hand cultivator https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/groundwork-garden-cultivator-1273578?store=1795&cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1273578&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoNbL95vj7wIVnP7jBx1zGw33EAQYAyABEgJdTvD_BwE, which is a fairly inexpensive investment, to turn the soil and pull out the grass roots. After chopping down the grass, depending on what it is, you can remove the root system. like where I'm at right now, we've got this crazy shit called St Augustine grass with roots that are thick like rope and need to be completely removed from an area for it to be a viable growing place. So using a shovel, I had to cut squares into the grass area that I then flipped over, removed some soil, and dumped the root bound grass into a green waste heap. Either way, it's important to turn the soil and remove seeds/weeds/roots.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 05:27:28 PM by IusedToSkateMore »

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2021, 02:47:49 AM »
What do you guys use for fertilizers?

Right now I have some bio granular fert - a 5-10-10 NPK, I believe. Thinking of buying some  liquid seaweed fertilizer but before I even buy anything  new I'm  thinking about ordering some worm castings and doing a soil mix with those to do a little test. I guess, in theory, if you have good soil you shouldn't need fertilizer. I've also been saving banana peels, coffee grounds, and trying to make my own but my chili's live inside most of the year so I try to not have any compost that's too stinky.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2021, 10:12:24 AM »
What do you guys use for fertilizers?

Right now I have some bio granular fert - a 5-10-10 NPK, I believe. Thinking of buying some  liquid seaweed fertilizer but before I even buy anything  new I'm  thinking about ordering some worm castings and doing a soil mix with those to do a little test. I guess, in theory, if you have good soil you shouldn't need fertilizer. I've also been saving banana peels, coffee grounds, and trying to make my own but my chili's live inside most of the year so I try to not have any compost that's too stinky.

for small scale planting I like to use worm castings and fish hydrolysate. Fox Farm makes some good organic concentrated fertilizers that can be bought online as well. There's a 3 pack with gear for each stage of growth, 1 for whole life cycle, the next for vegetative growth, the next for flower. worth a shot and it doesn't smell gnarly like fish =)

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2021, 10:54:27 AM »
Nice thread! At the moment I have a hard enough time keeping my spider plant alive, but I'll be moving next year and look forward to be trying my hand at (organic) gardening. Since I can't get any hands-on experience until then, I was wondering if any of you could recommend some good reading materials for the complete novice?

I went with Monty Don's Complete Gardener for now. He may be the Aaron Kyro of gardening for all I know, but it's what I got. Seems to know a thing or two and I like that he eschews all pesticides.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2021, 08:53:37 PM »
I compost for fertilizer. I was tempted to scoop up a bathtub that was being discarded in my neighborhood so I could make a worm farm.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2021, 10:28:43 PM »
@IusedToSkateMore, cheers for link mate
Yeah I was thinking maybe even higher maybe 800, but I really need to have a think about this and the sizes of beds cause fuck me that’s a lot of soil and she’s building on a fucking island so it’s going to be a bit ridiculous bringing cubic metres upon cubic metres of potting mix or whatever on a barge
Mates got a bobcat but still, I am just starting to realise there’s a bit of work here. Still though, heaps of time to organise shit

I have been trying to find prices for reclaimed timber on internet some of it’s expensive as fuck, I don’t know a lot about wood so that surprised me. But I was looking at fairly long lengths of timber so makes sense now I think about it

Comes in way cheaper and now that I think about it more solid to just build it out of besser blocks, reo and core fill everything. But thats just cause of how long I was gonna run some of these beds and I thought it would take longer putting pieces together
Shame cause I really like how the wooden ones look
Could probably finish it just a little bit at a time with that cultured stone boral make

@Gay Imp Sausage Metal, I have been looking but heaps of sites I found are just full of dead links

But I got on those book downloader sites and there’s heaps there, the ones I am reading at moment are permaculture design a step by step guide, the permaculture way by graham bell and Gaia’s garden by Toby hemenway
listen to cosmic psychos

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2021, 02:42:14 AM »
I compost for fertilizer. I was tempted to scoop up a bathtub that was being discarded in my neighborhood so I could make a worm farm.

I bought worm castings and have granular fertilizer so I'm going to see how it goes with those. I did put some banana peels in the soil and also made some worm/banana water. Gonna see if I can get by without a liquid fert for now.

All my plants are looking healthy atm - the Bonda's and Lemon Ajis have peppers popping out since a week or so ago - maybe a bit longer. Still need to try and upload a photo but it always says the file is too large.

My Charapitas are maybe 6 inches tall, sugar rush peach, rocotos, aji mangos, are all about a foot and I have two el oro de ecuador's that are maybe 2 inches, and 2 braz. mini pumpkin that are just sprouting. One of them has the seed stuck on the top so hopefully it drops off.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2021, 10:01:37 AM »
@matty_c

hey man, I didn't even think about cement blocks, or besser blocks. Those are great if you can get them for less and after a season or 2 they'll look better with sun/dirt/weed exposure. I wonder if there's places that make their own soil on the Island? It's unique because I live in the weed capital of the world, but there are numerous companies that produce their own soil blends locally. It can be bought by the truck load. Maybe there's something like that. I have no idea. Good luck with it homie

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2021, 12:48:19 AM »
@IusedToSkateMore, cheers for link mate
Yeah I was thinking maybe even higher maybe 800, but I really need to have a think about this and the sizes of beds cause fuck me that’s a lot of soil and she’s building on a fucking island so it’s going to be a bit ridiculous bringing cubic metres upon cubic metres of potting mix or whatever on a barge
Mates got a bobcat but still, I am just starting to realise there’s a bit of work here. Still though, heaps of time to organise shit

I have been trying to find prices for reclaimed timber on internet some of it’s expensive as fuck, I don’t know a lot about wood so that surprised me. But I was looking at fairly long lengths of timber so makes sense now I think about it

Comes in way cheaper and now that I think about it more solid to just build it out of besser blocks, reo and core fill everything. But thats just cause of how long I was gonna run some of these beds and I thought it would take longer putting pieces together
Shame cause I really like how the wooden ones look
Could probably finish it just a little bit at a time with that cultured stone boral make

@Gay Imp Sausage Metal, I have been looking but heaps of sites I found are just full of dead links

But I got on those book downloader sites and there’s heaps there, the ones I am reading at moment are permaculture design a step by step guide, the permaculture way by graham bell and Gaia’s garden by Toby hemenway

Yo Matty can you throw us a link to that Graham Bell book?

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2021, 03:17:04 AM »
https://www.pdfdrive.com/permaculture-way-e39585901.html

If you search on that site ‘permaculture Australia’ some books specific to here come up. Cause those other books are USA and uk. They’re still good though that Gaia’s garden one has some cool diagrams
Turns out those long planters aren’t as efficient as smaller ones and hella curvy shit. Mind blown
You can get lost in this shit I have just from yesterday, haha

Edit

@IusedToSkateMore, it’s one of the smallest ones in Moreton bay but not one of the ghetto ones if that makes sense, nah no luck not really any infrastructure at all should be a bit of fun though!
She got two blocks and wants to get weird with the build so we were thinking different living pavilions or whatever but mostly gardens so should be interesting
In any case I’ll post it on slap like I do everything else ahaha
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 03:38:13 AM by matty_c »
listen to cosmic psychos

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2021, 06:18:18 AM »
Got all my pepper plants in.  Red, Yellow, Orange Bell, various types of jalapeno, banana, trying these little hybrid snacking peppers, etc. Don't mind the fortress, I've been at war with chipmunks since I moved in to this place.

Get hungry on it!

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2021, 02:21:59 PM »
That looks great! I'll post some pics of my beds later. I wanna build a pepper hot house soon

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2021, 11:07:44 AM »
That looks great! I'll post some pics of my beds later. I wanna build a pepper hot house soon
Thanks! Yeah I’d like to do that too, expand my growing season a bit.

Get hungry on it!

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2022, 06:09:30 AM »
That time of year again! Got pretty much everything planted last night. All the usual, red, yellow, orange, and green bell peppers, jalapeños, cucumbers, big beef tomatoes, and some cherry and grape tomatoes.  Anybody else getting their gardens started?

Get hungry on it!

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2022, 03:48:01 PM »
Anybody into growing native plants? It's a whole different game. Especially for getting your seed starts going cuz a lot require cold stratification or scarification, so you gotta plan ahead quite a bit. 

I'm pumped because I've been starting to grow natives around our house. I've got a bunch of coreopsis, a few wood lilies left that the gotdamn rabbits didn't eat, cardinal flower, columbine, obedient plant, joe-pye weed, anise hyssop, liatris, some goldenrods, great blue lobelia and some canada anemones in the ground already. Waiting for some of my plug trays to get a little bigger to add more. I supplement with other non-native annuals that aren't invasive to fill in while my plugs and younger perennials are getting going. Plus there's a bunch of other dope flowers that aren't native that I like, but I'm trying to make it so when society collapses, my yard will help contribute to restoring the natural world lol.

I'm gonna build a raised bed from these old tree trunk posts used to hold up the floors from our basement after we took them out to install floor jacks. I miss gardening for food, but I work on a veggie and flower farm so I have all the fresh produce I need in the summer. It's just nice to go out to the yard to grab some herbs and veggies for dinner. I've got some Cherokee Purple heirloom tomatoes going along with some sungold cherries ready to plant. Gonna steal some herb starts from the farm, maybe some cayenne peppers, cucumbers and a few herbs too. Just the basics.

Gardening is dope