Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 70148 times)

doyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 212
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »
Take a look at the Canon XA10 too. I use an AC90 which works well for me, but probably wouldn't be considered a prosumer camcorder. The annoying UI and zoom rocker makes it feel a little like a cheap dad-cam.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2019, 12:37:21 PM »

panasonic with mk2 and spacers. i feel like they used one too many spacers but that's just me.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

okokokok

• Rep: 0
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2019, 07:41:23 PM »

is there ANY word on what Kev's setup is looking like? gotta say that's one probably one of the best I've seen. have to give it up for the ENERGY guy too though. very nice

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2019, 08:59:17 AM »
is there ANY word on what Kev's setup is looking like? gotta say that's one probably one of the best I've seen. have to give it up for the ENERGY guy too though. very nice

pretty sure its been said before but its the canon 8-15mm. kev just zooms in a little bit more and desaturates the blueness from the vignetting. pretty sure its on a Sony FS5 with Metabones speedbooster and the same for the ENERGY part but more likely in the photo series (A7s, a7rii, a6300, etc.) long lens for ENERGY was with a panasonic camcorder.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:07:50 AM by Jordan Wiens »
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2019, 06:02:01 PM »
So much good shit has come out in our beloved format in the past few months:

Maybe most notable is the Cottonopolis video, which is 100% 4:3 HD and put out on Blu-Ray (!!!). I think that might be a first. I copped one from NOTE https://www.noteshop.co.uk/cottonopolis-blu-ray.html and seeing dat 4:3 on the TV at really high bluray bitrates is THE shit.

Here's Dom Henry's part:

Also, there were James Cruickshanks UPHILL and PASTEL for Grey skate mag:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:03:38 PM by CossRooper »

evanb

« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2019, 08:38:01 PM »
Has anyone used the Meike 6-11mm fisheye on Gh5? The MFT version lens not the EF with speedbooster combo.

Wondering if it would be a good option since you can zoom in and get your desired vig, instead of having to crop... or if the meike 6.5mm is the better (and also cheaper option)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:15:54 PM by evanb »

doyle

« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2019, 10:15:56 PM »
Has anyone used the Meike 6-11mm fisheye on Gh5? The MFT version lens not the EF with speedbooster combo.

Wondering if it would be a good option since you can zoom in and get your desired vig, instead of having to crop... or if the meike 6.5mm is the better (and also cheaper option)

Never heard of either one, but based on some test footage I just watched on Youtube, it doesn't look great.

I'm premiering a full length 4:3 HD video next weekend, and will hopefully have some Bluray hardcopies available shortly after.

Here's a super quick teaser I just put out:

There's a longer teaser from a few months ago is a little ways back in this thread, too.

evanb

« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2019, 12:50:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Never heard of either one, but based on some test footage I just watched on Youtube, it doesn't look great.

I'm premiering a full length 4:3 HD video next weekend, and will hopefully have some Bluray hardcopies available shortly after.

There's a longer teaser from a few months ago is a little ways back in this thread, too.

Thanks for the quick reply! Your footage looks great, and obvious the 8-15mm is the best option right now but I'm on a bit of a budget since skate filming isn't my main focus anymore.

Wondering if the canon 8-15mm is used at 8mm focal length or if its zoomed at all?

I have a old sigma 10mm 2.8 that is a nice lens but made for crop sensor. After testing it on my GH5s with metabones speedbooster it seems like it will work well, I just need to figure out how to cut off the lens hood. Kinda sketchy taking a saw to the lens hood with so much glass right there... If I get up the nerve and don't fuck up the lens in the process I'll post some test footage in this thread.

Stoked to see the full film when it's released!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 12:53:40 AM by evanb »

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2019, 03:40:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sick! Bout to cop, stoked you made some Blu-Rays.

https://bestbeforevideo.bigcartel.com/product/best-before-blu-ray

doyle

« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2019, 03:58:07 PM »
Hey thanks for sharing!

Here's another little teaser I made if anyone wants to check it out.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2019, 04:40:55 PM »
do you guys use a separate camera for long lens shots or a special lens?
most zoom lenses have a variable aperture and are varifocal
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:44:34 PM by anon »

doyle

« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2019, 09:55:38 PM »
do you guys use a separate camera for long lens shots or a special lens?
most zoom lenses have a variable aperture and are varifocal

I've seen most people using a second camera for longlens, I use a Panasonic AC90. Not the best choice, but I got a good deal on it and wanted something that shot 1080p60.

ABG442

• Rep: 5
  • QC lovin'
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2019, 07:16:10 AM »
James Cruickshank is doing it right. Everyone should copy whatever he's doing

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2019, 08:35:02 AM »
I've posted in here before, I use a CanonXA20 with a Century Mk I thread mount. Here's the first part from my latest video "I Shall Be Free"

This is Jimmy Young, the edit is also a tribute to one of my favorite videos I had growing up.

need4speed

• Rep: -2
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2019, 11:51:30 AM »
pretty wack this set up

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2019, 01:16:45 PM »

kiyatotheheadmate

« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2019, 08:31:10 AM »
the new stussy clip is apparently ment to be 4:3. so look out for that  ;)
daddy

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #137 on: February 29, 2020, 08:22:40 PM »
New Balance Numeric - Calçada

Filmed by Josh Hallett

Also-- "Music performed by Tyler Surrey & Nisse Ingemarsson" which is really sick

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2020, 06:14:54 PM »
I'm working on a 4:3 HD video right now too, using GH5/8-15 and an AC90 for longlens. Here's a little example

Set up looks so good, and that song almost brought a lil Texas tear to my eye.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2020, 01:49:16 PM »
Does anyone have a vig overlay and the time to send it to me? Would be really awesome and i'd be super grateful!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tpbjr67r86gksc/VXVIG.psd?dl=0

It is a PSD so if you want to resize/position the file in Photoshop you can. Just make sure you are covering up any vignetting from your previous lens (even the blue fuzzy bits around it) so it looks clean.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2020, 02:39:37 PM »
Does anyone have a vig overlay and the time to send it to me? Would be really awesome and i'd be super grateful!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LHKNicruVTe0hAVJuXg8LX7VwaNkMrlv/view?usp=sharing
Here's another one, you can also resize/position. This one you will probably need to soften it slightly or use some gaussian blur because its a bit too sharp but once you do so it will look good.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2020, 04:58:04 PM »
the new stussy clip is apparently ment to be 4:3. so look out for that  ;)

as promised!

Obviously filmed 4:3 in HD, and the footage is really grainy which is sick, but sort of a waste as it's uploaded at an SD resolution and an SD bitrate -- sorta digitally washed out cause of that. Bummer to have such a nice piece of work chopped up by web encoding. Would be sick to see a proper encode of this.

anon

« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2020, 05:05:59 PM »
Obviously filmed 4:3 in HD, and the footage is really grainy which is sick, but sort of a waste as it's uploaded at an SD resolution and an SD bitrate -- sorta digitally washed out cause of that. Bummer to have such a nice piece of work chopped up by web encoding. Would be sick to see a proper encode of this.

Expand Quote
The whole 4:3 HD shit can save it though, ENERGY has that shit patented.
[close]

It isn't HD. Even though it's an HD camera, the HVX can also film with Mini DV tapes in standard def which is what (most of) this vid was filmed on.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2020, 05:45:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The whole 4:3 HD shit can save it though, ENERGY has that shit patented.
[close]

It isn't HD. Even though it's an HD camera, the HVX can also film with Mini DV tapes in standard def which is what (most of) this vid was filmed on.
[close]

Well I look like a clown! I was totally wrong. That's so sick, what a bizarre setup.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2020, 11:41:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did anyone figure out the setup? Browsed through his instagram and seems like he's not willing to part with the knowledge.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2020, 11:53:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Did anyone figure out the setup? Browsed through his instagram and seems like he's not willing to part with the knowledge.

Fisheye is very very likely the Canon 8-15mm. Specific camera body doesn't matter too much as long as you get a decent full frame dslr/mirrorless option, the framing will all be the same with differences in colour profile, picture quality, low light, dynamic range, settings and handling etc.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2020, 07:02:56 AM »
For all your mirrorless shooters, have you been able to find any handle even remotely as good as the Eazy Handle?
wash uffize drive me to firenze

anon

« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
For all your mirrorless shooters, have you been able to find any handle even remotely as good as the Eazy Handle?
never had an eazy handle, so can't say for certain, but i got this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYPB86S
it's based on the first version, non adjustable. had to modify it for the smaller body of mirrorless. the cold shoe clamp doesn't align with my particular camera :-\
it's okay. the price dropped too. got mine for $50 a while ago

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #148 on: March 18, 2020, 01:47:46 PM »
just get a cage with a handle for your specific camera. good brands are tilta, wooden camera, 8sinn, and if you're on a budget, SmallRig. what camera do you own? i can post some links.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 01:50:16 PM by Jordan Wiens »
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

doyle

« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2020, 10:48:20 AM »
I've tried the Opteka Eazyhandle ripoff (same as the one above) as well as a smallrig cage and handle and nothing comes close to the Eazyhandle V2. They pop up on eBay every now and then.