Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 69570 times)

CossRooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2020, 07:35:01 PM »
A little promo for a video I'm making that's packed with different formats, but super laid back content. Park footage, street footage, lots of camping footage. Just anything I can film in 2020 and put together into a project..
Shot with a GH5/Canon XA35/Arriflex 16S, and a Canon 814 Super 8 cam. Such a blast messing with all these!

https://youtu.be/8awy_d4TI7E

Holy fuck that was good vibes man! made me really happy. I subbed but please post when the full video is out!

spicearoni

• Rep: 0
  • @nicfromkenora
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2020, 07:40:33 PM »
Thanks a bunch dude!
I'll post er on here when she's out for sure

Expand Quote
A little promo for a video I'm making that's packed with different formats, but super laid back content. Park footage, street footage, lots of camping footage. Just anything I can film in 2020 and put together into a project..
Shot with a GH5/Canon XA35/Arriflex 16S, and a Canon 814 Super 8 cam. Such a blast messing with all these!

https://youtu.be/8awy_d4TI7E
[close]

Holy fuck that was good vibes man! made me really happy. I subbed but please post when the full video is out!

Ziggy Schaap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2020, 01:24:25 AM »
currently experimenting with the sony NX80 and the mk1, looks super good and about the same form factor as the vx, which is also a big plus:)
@karaokeskate / karaokeskate.com

edssexTOY

• Rep: 21
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2020, 05:50:02 AM »
My all-time favorite HD 4:3 part. Miguel Valle kicks ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOzr-XUKKWQ

"The next time I see those fucking French dudes Vivien is dead!"

gumsole

• Rep: 24
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2020, 02:47:06 PM »
My all-time favorite HD 4:3 part. Miguel Valle kicks ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOzr-XUKKWQ

This is great. Do you know the camera setup?

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2020, 05:00:05 AM »

arewedeadyet

• Rep: 42
    • Video*Days avatar image
« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2020, 06:57:50 AM »

Ziggy Schaap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2020, 05:24:08 AM »
Tried out Romain Bataards trick with the Sony NX80 - MK1 combo, nothing too serious though but lil trip to Berlin testing out the setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuI4zBdy_Fw&t=390s&ab_channel=KaraokeSkateboarding
@karaokeskate / karaokeskate.com

bataaard

• Rep: 40
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2020, 08:24:18 AM »
glad somebody used my trick.

i also filmed this tour with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvS334HpJ4c

ax700/mk1/vxmic
those little sony cameras are way better than a p2.
if century goes back to making fisheyes, they should make a version of the xtreme with a tiny diameter. it would cost less, would be way more practical than the actual xtreme, and would give us access to more modern cameras

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2020, 05:51:15 PM »
Tried out Romain Bataards trick with the Sony NX80 - MK1 combo, nothing too serious though but lil trip to Berlin testing out the setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuI4zBdy_Fw&t=390s&ab_channel=KaraokeSkateboarding

Really like the way the mk1 looks on this cam

pj chad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2020, 06:45:16 PM »

ax700/mk1/vxmic
if century goes back to making fisheyes, they should make a version of the xtreme with a tiny diameter. it would cost less, would be way more practical than the actual xtreme, and would give us access to more modern cameras

this looks so sick. was the vig put in post production? i'm assuming it's a mk1 screw? if so, did you start off with a bayo mk1, take off the bayo, and put step down rings to get to 62mm?

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2020, 07:00:34 PM »
Just put together a few 4:3 HD fisheye clips I had on my computer if anybody is curious.

4:3 HD Fisheye. Olympus E-M5 ii Lensbaby 5.8mm

For any filmers that may be trying to create this look without shelling out on a full frame camera or an expensive adapter and the Canon 8-15mm fisheye, any micro 4/3 camera that shoots video with a 2x crop factor (pana g7, gh3, gh4 etc) and the Lensbaby 5.8mm fisheye is a relatively affordable combo that is perfect for this look. The vig is a bit soft so you'll need to apply an overlay but that's not a big deal. Edges have a bit more fringing than the $1000 Canon fisheye but for the price it can't be beat. Definitely the cheapest way to recreate the HD VX look that I'm aware of.

YO! I recognize some of these skaters, I started school at Berkeley last year had to move back to LA cause of the pandemic, but damn seeing these clips made me miss skating East Bay and the campus!

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2020, 08:11:20 AM »
Petition to move this thread to the filming/editing section? I started it has a place to post these clips but it has morphed into more of a technical discussion, which is sick.

@admin?

EDIT: It was moved before I posted! i hadn't refreshed my page since last night. Thanks mods/admin.

bataaard

• Rep: 40
« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2020, 11:57:59 AM »
Expand Quote

ax700/mk1/vxmic
[close]

this looks so sick. was the vig put in post production? i'm assuming it's a mk1 screw? if so, did you start off with a bayo mk1, take off the bayo, and put step down rings to get to 62mm?

The vig is real from the mk1. It's a bayo MK1.
Somebody put the tutorial I made about this setup in this section I believe but here it is again:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDgHiNql2LV/

I will make the handle higher so that the vxmic goes on top of the camera, and under my hand. I can then film closer without having the mic in the way.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:06:19 PM by bataaard »

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #194 on: October 29, 2020, 10:15:38 AM »
https://youtu.be/k60qlpmkTHs

saw this clip using a gh4 in anamorphic mode with a meike 3.5mm fisheye. it looks super cute and tiny and even wider than a MK1. says it was zoomed into 110% but you could probably zoom less. vig would probably be sharp with a lower aperture filming outside.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2020, 10:32:58 AM »

The vig is real from the mk1. It's a bayo MK1.
Somebody put the tutorial I made about this setup in this section I believe but here it is again:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDgHiNql2LV/

I will make the handle higher so that the vxmic goes on top of the camera, and under my hand. I can then film closer without having the mic in the way.

Looking at your 4:3 settings, curious why you used the numbers you did? Also why stretch the footy horizontally? Just your own flavor?

For my 4:3 exports of HD footage I use the following:

Resolution: 1440 x 1080 (this should be true 4:3 but I could be wrong. In FCPX create a "custom" resolution, choosing the built in 1440x1080 for some reason doesn't work correctly but I'm not sure why)
Scale (all): 134%

IpathCats

« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2020, 12:21:10 PM »
I'm tired of dealing with tapes for my vx, and I'm not making edits that much anymore. So what's the best cheap as hell setup for this? I just want something that looks better than a phone, can do 1080p 30fps, with decent zoom, and a zoom tilt rocker thing like my vx has so long lens shots look smoother. 60fps option would be a plus for better slo mo, but if it doesn't have that option it's fine because because ill primarily use 30. I would prefer to use SD cards because of their ease and availability. I would also prefer removable batteries instead of a built in one but it's not a deal breaker. Again, not looking for anything fancy, just the cheapest thing that meets what I'm looking for.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2020, 02:44:24 PM »
I'm tired of dealing with tapes for my vx, and I'm not making edits that much anymore. So what's the best cheap as hell setup for this? I just want something that looks better than a phone, can do 1080p 30fps, with decent zoom, and a zoom tilt rocker thing like my vx has so long lens shots look smoother. 60fps option would be a plus for better slo mo, but if it doesn't have that option it's fine because because ill primarily use 30. I would prefer to use SD cards because of their ease and availability. I would also prefer removable batteries instead of a built in one but it's not a deal breaker. Again, not looking for anything fancy, just the cheapest thing that meets what I'm looking for.

what's your budget? I've been really happy with my Canon XA20, that or any of their similar models should meet those requirements. 58mm filter size too so you can likely find a screw-mount fisheye to fit it. The optical stabilization on those is pretty good too.

IpathCats

« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2020, 03:10:18 PM »
I could probably swing a couple grand. But I'd really rather not. I'm not filming too much lately so it's not really a priority. I just want something that looks better than a phone and is easier to zoom with whenever I do want to film something. I'm not looking for the most bang for my buck as much as I'm looking for the minimum I need to spend to get what I want.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2020, 06:39:24 PM »
I could probably swing a couple grand. But I'd really rather not. I'm not filming too much lately so it's not really a priority. I just want something that looks better than a phone and is easier to zoom with whenever I do want to film something. I'm not looking for the most bang for my buck as much as I'm looking for the minimum I need to spend to get what I want.

My recommendation stands. XA10 will do 1080/30, XA20 will do 1080/60(59.94) and a bunch of other frame rates, 24p included. Can do slow and fast motion in-camera too but without audio.

Also if you don’t care about the top handle, I think the HF G10 and HF G30 are the equivalents and would be cheaper. Any of those used you could prob find for $500-1000 i think.

That’s all I’ve used for awhile so don’t really know any other brands. But I think you’d definitely want an actual video camera as opposed to a DSLR for the things you described wanting.

IpathCats

« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2020, 06:42:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My recommendation stands. XA10 will do 1080/30, XA20 will do 1080/60(59.94) and a bunch of other frame rates, 24p included. Can do slow and fast motion in-camera too but without audio.

Also if you don’t care about the top handle, I think the HF G10 and HF G30 are the equivalents and would be cheaper. Any of those used you could prob find for $500-1000 i think.

That’s all I’ve used for awhile so don’t really know any other brands. But I think you’d definitely want an actual video camera as opposed to a DSLR for the things you described wanting.

Cool, thanks man!

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2020, 04:29:26 PM »
New April video is in das 4:3. Nice one Kevin Perez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuXqrq7aMO4

Phosphoresence

« Reply #202 on: November 01, 2020, 12:19:43 PM »
Anyone got any suggestions for a camera that shoots 4K 60fps for long lens?

I have a GH5 for fisheye and I’m currently using it for long but I’m looking for a better long lens option.

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
« Reply #203 on: November 02, 2020, 04:17:20 PM »
I have a 4K download of the VX4000 edit, just wondering if I should upload it

ferbmx

• Rep: -2
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2020, 02:57:43 PM »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2020, 12:19:18 AM »
Shalom pals, don't really know if that is the right place to ask. My homie gave me a few clips he filmed. They are all 16:9 and .mov datas.
How would you convert these clips to 4:3 .mp4 without losing any quality?
I usually edit clips with the inshot app on my phone, but there must be a better way ^^

Thanks in advance 
IG: @flowterspace

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #206 on: November 09, 2020, 08:55:48 AM »
Ideally you'd just edit them on a computer in Premiere or Final Cut or whatever you like, and either use a 4:3 timeline or 4:3 export settings. If it's full 1080 HD the 4:3 timeline/export size is 1440x1080, and if it's 720 HD the size is 960x720.

In InShot, you can import the clips, then press the Canvas icon, and make it 4:3 in the Ratio tab. Then switch over to the zoom tab and slide it up (I think it'll be 50 here no matter what). Then just export there. You'll probably lose a little quality this way, but it wouldn't be too noticeable especially if it's for Instagram or something.

Dirtyskankdike7

• Rep: -1
« Reply #207 on: November 10, 2020, 11:57:57 PM »
New April video is in das 4:3. Nice one Kevin Perez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuXqrq7aMO4

we still haven't found out his cam setup yet?

im not gonna lie since the xtreme is worth soo much money im thinking of selling it to get this set-up and use my hpx for long lense. im really feeling this 4:3 set up.

Phosphoresence

« Reply #208 on: November 11, 2020, 04:57:02 AM »
GH5 and canon 8-15mm fisheye

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2020, 08:08:16 AM »
Ideally you'd just edit them on a computer in Premiere or Final Cut or whatever you like, and either use a 4:3 timeline or 4:3 export settings. If it's full 1080 HD the 4:3 timeline/export size is 1440x1080, and if it's 720 HD the size is 960x720.

In InShot, you can import the clips, then press the Canvas icon, and make it 4:3 in the Ratio tab. Then switch over to the zoom tab and slide it up (I think it'll be 50 here no matter what). Then just export there. You'll probably lose a little quality this way, but it wouldn't be too noticeable especially if it's for Instagram or something.

Thanks pal. Much appreciated
IG: @flowterspace