Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 70131 times)

Burton Ernie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #240 on: January 18, 2021, 07:52:36 AM »

Not sure how to link an Instagram video but this is a canon xa11/Mk1 mounted with the vx1000 bayo ring

Looks really good, I like the bokeh dissolve too

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2021, 09:39:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
currently experimenting with the sony NX80 and the mk1, looks super good and about the same form factor as the vx, which is also a big plus:)
[close]

congrats on karaoke round two! any more thoughts on the nx80+mkI setup? fully satisfied with it?

[close]

I really liked it, the camera is more menu-based than the vx and also a litte bit lighter and more out of balance with the fisheye mounted but over all it really feels alot like a vx, files are huge though compared with sd footage.

that footage looks fucking great. so crispy

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2021, 04:03:01 AM »
Anyone bother to try this vx1000 external mic?

https://woodencamera.com/products/vx-skateboard-camera-mic

I'd rather hear first hand experience from someone here than rely on the ads from the company.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2021, 07:06:56 AM »
Anyone bother to try this vx1000 external mic?

https://woodencamera.com/products/vx-skateboard-camera-mic

I'd rather hear first hand experience from someone here than rely on the ads from the company.

yes it's good. it's not something magical tho, you need to use manual audio levels on your camera, and find out the good level for longlens and fisheye.

here is a footage i filmed with it:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:57:53 AM by bataaard »

doyle

• Rep: 212
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2021, 09:40:39 AM »

Here's a side by side comparison I made with one. I personally think it's the best option for external mics, but lots of people like to shit on it.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2021, 10:52:46 AM »

Here's a side by side comparison I made with one. I personally think it's the best option for external mics, but lots of people like to shit on it.

Was the audio on auto for the GH5? I wonder how it'd sound with the latest GoPro. A Gopro filmed in 4:3 doesn't look too bad from what I've seen when it's not superview, over saturated & sharpened.

doyle

« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2021, 11:10:21 AM »
Not auto, but there may have been a limiter on, can't remember.

jamesvanderbeak

• Rep: 0
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2021, 05:04:52 PM »

hmc150 opteka mk2

but that mk1 made me nut

how do you make hmc150 film 4x3? when I put mine into the timeline and crop I can't get my fisheye to look like that. it must be filmed in 4x3 no?

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #248 on: January 24, 2021, 08:35:08 PM »

maybe another one of those custom mk1 mounts on an hd cam?
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

bighead

• Rep: 4
« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2021, 05:27:33 PM »
I guess it worked haha

What mic are you using here?

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2021, 06:06:09 PM »
Expand Quote

hmc150 opteka mk2

but that mk1 made me nut
[close]

how do you make hmc150 film 4x3? when I put mine into the timeline and crop I can't get my fisheye to look like that. it must be filmed in 4x3 no?

Also curious. Footage looks sick enjoyed the couple of mins I watched.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2021, 09:25:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

hmc150 opteka mk2

but that mk1 made me nut
[close]

[close]

Also curious. Footage looks sick enjoyed the couple of mins I watched.

he spaced out the fisheye with spacer rings/cheap filters with the glass knocked out and then made a 960x720 timeline in post. theres a 4:3 cropline you can turn on in the camera too for previewing what its going to see too.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Judychamagnee

• Rep: 1
« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2021, 12:18:59 PM »
Expand Quote
I guess it worked haha
[close]

Internal mic. Just picked up a vx mic though and quality is deff crisper

bighead

« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2021, 10:57:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I guess it worked haha
[close]

Really liking this setup. How did you make the bayo work?

[close]

Judychamagnee

• Rep: 1
« Reply #254 on: January 28, 2021, 05:53:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I guess it worked haha
[close]

Really liking this setup. How did you make the bayo work?

[close]

[close]

Pretty much forced a vx1000 bayo ring on

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #255 on: January 29, 2021, 11:54:22 AM »
weird question for the hivemind.

How do some of these amateur, but nice looking HD 4:3 setups compare in price to a working condition vx1000, lens, accessories, etc?

I think one reason we see so much vx footage is because it's well known, but also because you can pickup a camera for like $700.

I'm beyond ready for us to round the corner where a an HD 4:3 setup looks better and is cheaper. VX footage looks so shit to me these days. I love the ratio but 480p looks like mud and the colors are just so ass.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #256 on: January 29, 2021, 12:55:58 PM »
weird question for the hivemind.

How do some of these amateur, but nice looking HD 4:3 setups compare in price to a working condition vx1000, lens, accessories, etc?

I think one reason we see so much vx footage is because it's well known, but also because you can pickup a camera for like $700.

I'm beyond ready for us to round the corner where a an HD 4:3 setup looks better and is cheaper. VX footage looks so shit to me these days. I love the ratio but 480p looks like mud and the colors are just so ass.

I noticed alot of new filmers nowadays who pick up a vx don't know how to set their camera manually. Auto settings compared to manual is night and day. Look at the Atlantic Drift videos.

A VX is more convienent becuase all you need is the camera and lens. Alot of the 4:3 HD setups have the camera, lenses, external mic, and a seperate handle.

Even if a 4:3 HD setup might cost more upfront, it will last in the long run and you won't need to deal with the vx repairs and finding the now rare $800+ MK1s.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #257 on: January 29, 2021, 06:29:54 PM »
cheapest good setup is probably a gh4 with a meike 3.5mm, some sort of handle and some sort of mic (vx mic and eazy handle v2 is preffered). but a canon 8-15mm fisheye is at least 1000$, mk1 on a hd setup is just as much, etc. only thing youre not spending on are tapes and repairs.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #258 on: January 30, 2021, 02:28:11 AM »

is that the "natural" vig on the gh5???

doyle

« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2021, 07:33:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kind of, it's not an overlay or anything, I just desaturated the blue hues around the vignetting to get rid of the chromatic aberration that comes with that lens.

unsuperfilmer

• Rep: -1
    • I made this shit avatar image
« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2021, 09:20:37 AM »
Broke boy setup: Panasonic GX85, Opteka 6.5mm, internal mic, years of filming with hi8tapes
(this might not work because igtv)

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CKwa5yilquW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

bighead

« Reply #261 on: February 03, 2021, 08:23:22 PM »
Do you think you could use the batard method on a Sony MC88? The body seems super similar to the NX80.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #262 on: February 04, 2021, 12:39:45 AM »
yes you can.
the amount of zoom on the footage in post production might differ tho.

to mount the mic, it's to put it on the right side of the camera rather than on top of the handle.
this way it doesn't get hit

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2021, 10:54:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Kind of, it's not an overlay or anything, I just desaturated the blue hues around the vignetting to get rid of the chromatic aberration that comes with that lens.

it looks really good. i guess the gh5 doesn't have a crop factor in anamorphic mode like the gh4 does right?

doyle

« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2021, 11:11:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

it looks really good. i guess the gh5 doesn't have a crop factor in anamorphic mode like the gh4 does right?

I've never used the GH4 but on the GH5 it just gets wider vertically. The raw clips I film look like this (zoomed all the way out with the 8-15):

(except it's 3328 x 2496)

Then i just put the clips in a 4:3 HD timeline and scale them to 52%-ish:

And then desaturate the blue hues at the edge of the vignetting:

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #265 on: February 11, 2021, 11:12:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
One day someone will make a plug in for Premiere Pro or something where it adjusts the sound with EQ and whatever to match it pretty close, and it probably wouldn't be that hard to make a plugin like that, but till then I'm open minded to see what people come up with!
[close]
somebody said they'd look into this in another thread

Expand Quote
It sounds like the VX boosts mid frequencies, whereas the GH5 is pretty flat. I'd almost guarantee that the VX boosts frequencies that Sony decided were in the 'voice' spectrum.

If you wanna send me the audio files of each I reckon I could figure out exactly what's going on. And I'd be willing to bet that a plugin could mimic the VX really, really well. Audio plugins have come a long way; they can mimic the sound of various machines and rooms at Abbey Road, so I'm sure we could crack the secret of why a VX sounds so good.
[close]
[close]

That seems about right. All they'd need to do is make it an effectt/preset you can just download and throw onto all your audio and I think people would be happy. Could even make a VX preset, it changes the aspect ratio to 4:3, changes the audio, and adds some kinda colour grade to the image.
what a fucking great idea - has anyone of you guys tried it yet?

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2021, 11:55:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
One day someone will make a plug in for Premiere Pro or something where it adjusts the sound with EQ and whatever to match it pretty close, and it probably wouldn't be that hard to make a plugin like that, but till then I'm open minded to see what people come up with!
[close]
somebody said they'd look into this in another thread

Expand Quote
It sounds like the VX boosts mid frequencies, whereas the GH5 is pretty flat. I'd almost guarantee that the VX boosts frequencies that Sony decided were in the 'voice' spectrum.

If you wanna send me the audio files of each I reckon I could figure out exactly what's going on. And I'd be willing to bet that a plugin could mimic the VX really, really well. Audio plugins have come a long way; they can mimic the sound of various machines and rooms at Abbey Road, so I'm sure we could crack the secret of why a VX sounds so good.
[close]
[close]

That seems about right. All they'd need to do is make it an effectt/preset you can just download and throw onto all your audio and I think people would be happy. Could even make a VX preset, it changes the aspect ratio to 4:3, changes the audio, and adds some kinda colour grade to the image.
[close]
what a fucking great idea - has anyone of you guys tried it yet?

I've been toying with some things for a video, hopefully I'll be able to put some more time into it soon and either release the video or just do a big write up on how.

r000000b

« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2021, 03:56:36 PM »

depresseddingo

« Reply #268 on: February 12, 2021, 06:23:44 AM »
I dont have a lot of money to spend on a fisheye so I am thinking about getting a DSLR set up. I am just wondering how filming long lens is working on a DSLR? Is it possible to use the zoom while filming on a standart lens or would I need to get something special?

6000 sux

• Rep: 16
« Reply #269 on: February 12, 2021, 02:16:57 PM »
I dont have a lot of money to spend on a fisheye so I am thinking about getting a DSLR set up. I am just wondering how filming long lens is working on a DSLR? Is it possible to use the zoom while filming on a standart lens or would I need to get something special?
long lens is possible, but modern-day skate video/strobeck style zooming will look like shit on dslr with a standard lens, as you'll have to deal with focusing as well
a crazy workaround is using a b4 eng broadcast lens, you can get b4 to whatever type mount your camera has and get smooth ass zooms that way. they're parfocal too.