Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 69574 times)

Gil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #360 on: September 29, 2021, 09:51:10 AM »
Whuddup pals. Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but I've looked around to no avail and am hoping y'all might be able to help.

I haven't been too up on camera knowledge since learning about the VX1000 and DVX100 in the skate perception days. I rocked the VX until a filmer slam took it and my MK1 out of commission. After that, I was able to find a lens for my DVX100A (Century Pro DV Ultra Fisheye Adaper .3x) and have been content with that since.

Well, with the current state of Mini DV tapes, I need a solution. I'm intrigued by HD 4:3 but am not picky, as I need an affordable option (1 income household right now while my wife finishes up school). So my question is, does anyone know, if I were able to come up on an HVX, is there any way to mod my current fisheye to be used with it?

I think I could swing the price of one... It's just those extreme lenses or whatever that are outrageously expensive. Plus like I said, I like the idea of HD 4:3. Again, I'm not too picky though.

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all may have!
Going into to business with Vallely is the skateboarding equivalent of starting a land war in Asia, just don't.

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #361 on: September 29, 2021, 11:52:27 AM »
So I put this little tutorial together just to demonstrate how to shoot in 4:3 HD on the Panasonic HD cameras. Doesn't cost much at all, you don't need a mad amount of spacers or even a really expensive lens. This is a nice and easy way to get into it. Shalom

https://youtu.be/zf6VW3vOMZ4

Some example footage from a project I've been working on where the entire video will be shot in 4:3 HD:
https://youtu.be/vXRktJ_otKM

Gil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #362 on: September 29, 2021, 12:50:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Whuddup pals. Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but I've looked around to no avail and am hoping y'all might be able to help.

I haven't been too up on camera knowledge since learning about the VX1000 and DVX100 in the skate perception days. I rocked the VX until a filmer slam took it and my MK1 out of commission. After that, I was able to find a lens for my DVX100A (Century Pro DV Ultra Fisheye Adaper .3x) and have been content with that since.

Well, with the current state of Mini DV tapes, I need a solution. I'm intrigued by HD 4:3 but am not picky, as I need an affordable option (1 income household right now while my wife finishes up school). So my question is, does anyone know, if I were able to come up on an HVX, is there any way to mod my current fisheye to be used with it?

I think I could swing the price of one... It's just those extreme lenses or whatever that are outrageously expensive. Plus like I said, I like the idea of HD 4:3. Again, I'm not too picky though.

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all may have!
[close]

You should be able to remove the bayo ring from your century fisheye, then get a 72mm - 82mm adapter, then a 82mm to 72mm adapter, and screw it directly onto a HVX/HMC/HPX. Just need to crop to 4:3 in post. If you want more vig you could also add a 72mm spacer.

Damn, that's it? Thanks so much for the info. I think I'll be pulling the trigger soon since that's the case.
Really appreciate you!
Going into to business with Vallely is the skateboarding equivalent of starting a land war in Asia, just don't.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #363 on: September 30, 2021, 02:45:32 PM »
I just copped a Panasonic HDC-TM700, wanted something basic to shoot the homies with in 1080p60 that wasn't the phone.

It has a 46mm thread I believe. If I wanted to fuck around with trying to get some 4:3 fisheye clips, what Opteka/Kapkur should I cop?

I was thinking the 37mm one, with a 46->37mm step down ring. I figured stepping down to the smallest one would produce the most vig and get me closer to a 4:3 ratio with the least number of spacers, compared to grabbing the 43mm or even stepping up to a 58mm.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673936-REG/Opteka_OPTSC37FE_37mm_0_3X_HD_Ultra.html

Obviously i don't expect anyone to have this exact setup, but is my line of thinking right?

suckmadeck

« Reply #364 on: October 01, 2021, 08:47:01 AM »
I just copped a Panasonic HDC-TM700, wanted something basic to shoot the homies with in 1080p60 that wasn't the phone.

It has a 46mm thread I believe. If I wanted to fuck around with trying to get some 4:3 fisheye clips, what Opteka/Kapkur should I cop?

I was thinking the 37mm one, with a 46->37mm step down ring. I figured stepping down to the smallest one would produce the most vig and get me closer to a 4:3 ratio with the least number of spacers, compared to grabbing the 43mm or even stepping up to a 58mm.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673936-REG/Opteka_OPTSC37FE_37mm_0_3X_HD_Ultra.html

Obviously i don't expect anyone to have this exact setup, but is my line of thinking right?

Well for the HPX with it's 72mm filter thread I found going down by 20mm was a great number for a fisheye and 4x3, so I ended up using a 52mm and it looks like a DVX MK2. So I'd say step down to 26mm if that's even possible? If it isn't I'd say the lower the number the better

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #365 on: October 02, 2021, 07:41:58 PM »

https://youtu.be/xw8IXbrLx_8
pretty certain this vid is with the 37mm aka the baby death
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

bataaard

• Rep: 40
« Reply #366 on: October 03, 2021, 05:40:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

it's the opteka 37mm

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #367 on: October 03, 2021, 01:17:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies @bataaard @suckmadeck @Jordan Wiens

So I'd say step down to 26mm if that's even possible? If it isn't I'd say the lower the number the better

Couldn't find any decent looking fish smaller than 37, so definitely gonna grab the Opteka 37mm. just unsure of how many spacers it'll take. I'll be experimenting and will report back.

**experimenting later, cause the TM-700 just showed up with a bunch of scratches on the lens -_- buying stuff online is such a pain in the ass lmao

suckmadeck

« Reply #368 on: October 05, 2021, 06:59:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies @bataaard @suckmadeck @Jordan Wiens

Expand Quote
So I'd say step down to 26mm if that's even possible? If it isn't I'd say the lower the number the better
[close]

Couldn't find any decent looking fish smaller than 37, so definitely gonna grab the Opteka 37mm. just unsure of how many spacers it'll take. I'll be experimenting and will report back.

**experimenting later, cause the TM-700 just showed up with a bunch of scratches on the lens -_- buying stuff online is such a pain in the ass lmao

Good luck dude!

mostlyslappies

• Rep: 1
  • Filmer
    • IG avatar image
« Reply #369 on: October 10, 2021, 10:16:44 AM »
Been lurking here for quite awhile, basically set up a Slap account solely because of this thread haha.

So anyway, just set up an MK1 for my HPX but the quality difference is realllly noticeable compared to my Opteka (filming 720/60p). Everything is just way blurrier and grainier through the MK1. As far as I can tell I duplicated the Shane Aukland setup to a T, and the lens just got new front glass installed by Schneider themselves, so I can't imagine that's the culprit. Any advice?

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #370 on: October 10, 2021, 11:28:21 AM »
Any screenshots or side-by-sides with the Opteka?

mostlyslappies

• Filmer
    • IG avatar image
« Reply #371 on: October 10, 2021, 03:50:19 PM »
Any screenshots or side-by-sides with the Opteka?

Went out and got some more test footy today, so I'll try and upload that in the next few days alongside some 16:9 Opteka stuff.

southphillytapwater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #372 on: October 10, 2021, 06:23:01 PM »
Been lurking here for quite awhile, basically set up a Slap account solely because of this thread haha.

So anyway, just set up an MK1 for my HPX but the quality difference is realllly noticeable compared to my Opteka (filming 720/60p). Everything is just way blurrier and grainier through the MK1. As far as I can tell I duplicated the Shane Aukland setup to a T, and the lens just got new front glass installed by Schneider themselves, so I can't imagine that's the culprit. Any advice?
I don't mean to sidestep the conversation, but how much did Schneider charge to replace your front element?

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #373 on: October 10, 2021, 10:44:44 PM »

could be the thickness of the stepup/filter youre using. distance from lens to lens is really crucial for focus on the mk1
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
« Reply #374 on: October 11, 2021, 07:38:13 AM »

i believe he mentioned that this setup only really works nicely on the HMC line of cameras

nickpaolucci

« Reply #375 on: October 11, 2021, 08:55:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don't mean to sidestep the conversation, but how much did Schneider charge to replace your front element?

mostlyslappies

• Filmer
    • IG avatar image
« Reply #376 on: October 11, 2021, 09:49:01 AM »
Here's some test footage, with an Opteka clip at the end for comparison. Please forgive the glare on the front blunt clips, that's the Tadashi filter, not the lens itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhDklk7zLpc

It's just really hit-or-miss, some of it looks pretty good and some of it (see: the crailslide) is doing this weird thing where every other frame is out of focus. I've been paying extra attention to camera settings related to how the clip comes out, but I still can't figure it out.

Nah not at all, it was $295 for the glass, plus $150 labor. Would've rather saved myself a month of turnaround and just replaced it myself, but they insisted, lol. It kinda seemed like the front element I got was the last one they were sitting on in their shop, but I'm sure that will change when they get the MK1 back into production.

could be the thickness of the stepup/filter youre using. distance from lens to lens is really crucial for focus on the mk1

I've really only got about 1.5mm between the bayo ring and the camera threads, so just about the same as Shane's video, and the vig I'm getting in the raw footage before the zoom/crop in post looks pretty much exactly the same. I dunno, maybe I'm being too finicky about how it looks?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 10:07:40 AM by mostlyslappies »

bataaard

« Reply #377 on: October 18, 2021, 05:09:43 AM »
it seems like your aperture is more open on the crailslide clip than on the other ones, then you need to be really precise with your focusing. try not to go under f5.6 with your fisheye.

the mk1 is softer than mk2s and optekas. it's quite old and has been designed for SD resolution. But it still looks better for skating than the other ones in my opinion.

mostlyslappies

• Filmer
    • IG avatar image
« Reply #378 on: October 24, 2021, 12:24:47 PM »
it seems like your aperture is more open on the crailslide clip than on the other ones, then you need to be really precise with your focusing. try not to go under f5.6 with your fisheye.

Gooood call, everything I've shot since has been great-looking.

southphillytapwater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #379 on: October 26, 2021, 04:22:13 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMtqEBgOsiU

"Banquet" by Beltway (Eddie Gutierrez). HMC150 and a 58mm Opteka. I prefer the HPX over the HMC, but I really like the way this setup looks.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #380 on: October 28, 2021, 08:49:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMtqEBgOsiU

"Banquet" by Beltway (Eddie Gutierrez). HMC150 and a 58mm Opteka. I prefer the HPX over the HMC, but I really like the way this setup looks.

I absolutely love this setup and i'm so stoked at how many clips this dude is putting out with it. Insanely productive filmer and crew. Seems like at least one full length thing a year.

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #381 on: November 26, 2021, 10:42:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

it's the opteka 37mm
you also know on what camera?

bataaard

« Reply #382 on: November 30, 2021, 06:28:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

it's the opteka 37mm
[close]
you also know on what camera?
sony ax100

skatehypecom

• Rep: 12
    • Skate Hype avatar image
« Reply #383 on: November 30, 2021, 06:52:30 AM »
Dear 4:3 enthusiasts you must know all 4:3 SD content can be successfully upscaled to 960x720 with the help of skatehype.com team.

More info, please read: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112401.0
Any question please ask.
We are just skateboarders and filmers OG's trying to make a good DIY

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
« Reply #384 on: December 13, 2021, 12:07:36 PM »
i think this was brought up but can't quite find it,

what's the go to way to mount a mk1 and hmc150? step up/down rings? if yes what size?

thank you

bighead

• Rep: 4
« Reply #385 on: December 13, 2021, 01:45:20 PM »

what's the go to way to mount a mk1 and hmc150? step up/down rings? if yes what size?

thank you

The sk8 rat solution was to grind down a 72mm spacer to half length and jb weld to the bayo. I did mine a bit differently. I bought an 82-72 step down and jb welded the bayo inside of the step down ring. Cheers!

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
« Reply #386 on: December 13, 2021, 02:02:03 PM »
Expand Quote

thank you
[close]

The sk8 rat solution was to grind down a 72mm spacer to half length and jb weld to the bayo. I did mine a bit differently. I bought an 82-72 step down and jb welded the bayo inside of the step down ring. Cheers!

would this damage your mk1? as i still intend on setting it on the vx1 as well.

thank you

bighead

• Rep: 4
« Reply #387 on: December 13, 2021, 03:47:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

thank you
[close]

[close]

would this damage your mk1? as i still intend on setting it on the vx1 as well.

thank you

Yeah once you do this, you can no longer use the bayo on your mk1. I'd recommend buying another mk1 bayo so you can swap them out.

pikulev

« Reply #388 on: December 20, 2021, 02:12:25 PM »
Guys what about hpx and mk2?

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #389 on: December 20, 2021, 03:46:55 PM »
Guys what about hpx and mk2?
opteka lens is basically 1:1 replica of the mk2 but with different coatings (different flares). spaced out and cropped to 4:3 its lovely
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans