Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 70171 times)

c-dock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
  • Lurker
Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #540 on: May 17, 2023, 09:52:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Just recently upgraded from VX/MK1 to HMC/MK1. Curious to see what you guys think
[close]
the stretch u did is quite obvious. its easy to tell when you know the vig is supposed to be circular and not oval. if you need to do it for whatever reason just ease off a bit to where its not noticeable.
Yeah I found out I fucked up and forgot to set the pixel aspect ratio on my render settings the same as my project settings. Came out in square not true 4:3 but I have that and better crop settings figured out for the future

Expand Quote
Just recently upgraded from VX/MK1 to HMC/MK1. Curious to see what you guys think
[close]

The mk1 footy reminds me of DVX footage from back in the day and I've always loved that camera. Can you post a pic of your setup? I'd be interested to see it.

EdwardVsShark

• Rep: 3
« Reply #541 on: May 23, 2023, 09:53:48 PM »

Canon Vixia HV30
CAMVATE Adjustable Camera Cage (1722 model)
Atomos Ninja 2 / Atomos Ninja Star (to bypass MiniDV tapes as well as apply 2:2 pulldown to record 1080p29.97 instead of 1080i60)
Recorded in ProRes 422 LT ~102mbps (compared to 25mbps for MiniDV tapes)

Nikon FC-E9 0.2x Fisheye
43mm to 46mm step-up ring

on-board microphone for now (camcorder doesn't provide power via the 3.5mm jack)

Stabilizer on for long lens shots
Stabilizer off for fisheye shots

1440x1080 timeline
fisheye shots zoomed in 10% and roughly centered
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 01:03:41 PM by EdwardVsShark »

35mm

• Rep: 27
« Reply #542 on: May 27, 2023, 01:56:22 AM »
^Reading that was a trip. At first I was like: who still uses an HV30? (worst of both worlds, 16:9 into tapes). Then I continued reading and the whole tapeless setup description surprised me. Love reading the technical nerdery.

On another note, I was checking this clip filmed by Kevin Perez and realized the vignetting on the fisheye isn't a circle.

This is a superimposed circle over a screencapture. As you can see the vignetting of the fisheye is more of a ellipsis.

So I assume that the footage is filmed on a more square-ish aspect ratio and stretched to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Apparently it is a 3:2 crop stretched to 16:9.

There is a gain in vertical width without looking to stretched. I think a 4:3 crop to 16:9 would definitely be to noticeable.

I have mixed feelings about it though. Things get distorted horizontally and it reminds me of the era when people filmed VX and stretched it to 16:9 ie Solo Jazz.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #543 on: May 28, 2023, 06:22:17 PM »

Canon Vixia HV30
Atomos Ninja 2 / Atomos Ninja Star (to bypass MiniDV tapes as well as apply 2:2 pulldown to record 1080p29.97 instead of 1080i60)

Nikon FC-E9 0.2x Fisheye

on-board microphone for now (camcorder doesn't provide power via the 3.5mm jack)

1440x1080 timeline

that's insane, props to you for putting together such a strange setup. in my ebay browsings i've always seen those "HDV" cameras that use tapes and film 1080i and I thought they were irredeemable but you made something out of it. never would have thought to go tapeless with those tape HD cameras

also putting the cage to the left of the camera to surround the flip out LCD is a stroke of cage design genius

i think I really want an FC-E9

dope post @35mm , seems like people are cropping and stretching all crazy lately, love to see some experimentation

badding

• Rep: 0
« Reply #544 on: May 30, 2023, 03:10:49 PM »

My latest 4:3 project filmed with GoPro MAX (fisheye) & Sony FDR-AX33 (long lens). GoPro records 1920x1440 4:3 60 fps and Sony 4K 16:9. Timeline is 1920x1440 and long lens clips are cropped to fit that. I'm used to VX era filming but i like how lightweight and easy this setup is.

JoeyButterfingers

« Reply #545 on: May 31, 2023, 06:01:11 AM »
Expand Quote

Canon Vixia HV30

Nikon FC-E9 0.2x Fisheye

1440x1080 timeline
[close]

that's insane, props to you for putting together such a strange setup. in my ebay browsings i've always seen those "HDV" cameras that use tapes and film 1080i and I thought they were irredeemable but you made something out of it. never would have thought to go tapeless with those tape HD cameras

also putting the cage to the left of the camera to surround the flip out LCD is a stroke of cage design genius

i think I really want an FC-E9

dope post @35mm , seems like people are cropping and stretching all crazy lately, love to see some experimentation

I recently bought the FC-E9 and regardless of camera
It’s used on there’s a noticeable vignette shale that drives me wild 😤

P2PIMP

• Rep: 2
« Reply #546 on: June 20, 2023, 05:31:34 PM »
i just dropped a new video filmed in the pacific northwest with the meike fisheye/AF100 combo with the HVX for long lens. lemme know what y’all think!

i have another project that i’m filming in HD 4:3 that i’m working on in nyc right now and i’m geeked up to share it with y’all when it’s finished. 

Light

• Rep: 4
« Reply #547 on: June 21, 2023, 11:26:09 PM »
Has anybody tried any of the power zoom lenses on the GH4/5? Worth a shot to avoid getting a camcorder for long lens or still has the exact same problems?

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #548 on: June 22, 2023, 01:01:05 AM »
Which lenses do you mean? The ones with Power O.I.S? They are not parfocal.

tl;dr:
I sunk ~300 Eur on a b4 lens setup, which I rarely use because it is annoying to setup/transport and not very ergonomical to use.

Imo the "best" "cheap" option if you want to shoot long lens is to get an old b4 lens + adapters.
I have something similar to this:

But that setup "sucks" as well. Setting it up is a pain. I need to detach the eazyhandle clone because otherwise it is too much stress on the bayonet. Then mount the adapter + lens and get out the powerbank for the lens for being able to use the zoom rocker.
Mine is as heavy as another camcorder + it is incredibly hard to keep stable on the gh4 because you don't have any stabilization and I don't have any additional fixed contact points for keeping it stable. I am trying to find an G-Cup EVF Eyecup for the GH4 for an eternity now, to have a more camcorder-like way of shooting. At some point I might try something like this Walimex Pro viewfinder, but that would be another thing to carry around and setup. Keeping it stable might be easier on a gh5 though with its IBS. I think a good tripod/shoulder rig would help a lot, but than it would be even more annoying to set up every time + even more stuff to transport. It is definitely not a "get it out quick and shoot" type of setup.
If you spend some time on ebay, then it is still a kinda "cheap" option to try. I paid 100 Eur for the lens + ~60 for the lens adapter + ~50 for 5.5 x  2.5 to 12pin hirose adapter cable + ~90 for the power bank. So in sum ~300 Eur.

Light

« Reply #549 on: June 22, 2023, 04:59:22 AM »

tl;dr:
I sunk ~300 Eur on a b4 lens setup, which I rarely use because it is annoying to setup/transport and not very ergonomical to use.

Imo the "best" "cheap" option if you want to shoot long lens is to get an old b4 lens + adapters.

But that setup "sucks" as well. Setting it up is a pain. I need to detach the eazyhandle clone because otherwise it is too much stress on the bayonet. Then mount the adapter + lens and get out the powerbank for the lens for being able to use the zoom rocker.
Mine is as heavy as another camcorder + it is incredibly hard to keep stable on the gh4 because you don't have any stabilization and I don't have any additional fixed contact points for keeping it stable. I am trying to find an G-Cup EVF Eyecup for the GH4 for an eternity now, to have a more camcorder-like way of shooting. At some point I might try something like this Walimex Pro viewfinder, but that would be another thing to carry around and setup. Keeping it stable might be easier on a gh5 though with its IBS. I think a good tripod/shoulder rig would help a lot, but than it would be even more annoying to set up every time + even more stuff to transport. It is definitely not a "get it out quick and shoot" type of setup.
If you spend some time on ebay, then it is still a kinda "cheap" option to try. I paid 100 Eur for the lens + ~60 for the lens adapter + ~50 for 5.5 x  2.5 to 12pin hirose adapter cable + ~90 for the power bank. So in sum ~300 Eur.

Not the Power OIS but there was a 45-175 Power Zoom lens that has a zoom on the lens itself supposedly imitating parfocal lenses (of course to a much lesser degree) - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818956-REG/Panasonic_H_PS45175K_Lumix_G_X_Vario.html

That setup you have there is sick thanks for sharing, definitely feel the pain on trying to figure out something that's cheap, looks decent and doesn't take ten years and a 5 man crew to setup whenever you want to film lol

EdwardVsShark

• Rep: 3
« Reply #550 on: June 23, 2023, 06:05:36 PM »
Expand Quote

tl;dr:

[close]

Not the Power OIS but there was a 45-175 Power Zoom lens that has a zoom on the lens itself supposedly imitating parfocal lenses (of course to a much lesser degree) - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818956-REG/Panasonic_H_PS45175K_Lumix_G_X_Vario.html

That setup you have there is sick thanks for sharing, definitely feel the pain on trying to figure out something that's cheap, looks decent and doesn't take ten years and a 5 man crew to setup whenever you want to film lol

Close to parfocal lenses on MFT would be:
Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 (close to parfocal when combined with a speedbooster that has been adjusted, zoom is not consistent, really heavy lens)
Olympus 12-40 2.8 (best bang for buck, best zoom consistency, solid focal length especially when combined with GH5 Extra Tele Conversion setting)
Panasonic Leica 10-25mm f1.7 (very spendy, short focal length, solid zoom consistency)

Have had the Panasonic PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6, it was a huge disappointment.

Maybe get a follow focus and attach it to the zoom ring if you go the route of any of the lenses I mentioned.

Here's a zoom out example with the Olympus 12-40mm:
https://imgur.com/a/KhcsJga

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #551 on: June 25, 2023, 08:30:46 AM »
just take the L, sell the panasonic and get a sony fx30 with the pz 18-105. micro 4/3rds and zooms are not worth. or get a panasonic camcorder as long lens cam
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

bezempluijmers

• Rep: 1
    • yt avatar image
« Reply #552 on: June 29, 2023, 11:17:34 AM »
lately I'm making videos with this setup:

it's a lumix g7 with a 7artisan 4mm

brbr

• Rep: 7
« Reply #553 on: July 10, 2023, 11:29:44 AM »
Hi Slap, I've just released my new HD 4:3 video project with my friends, it's filmed with a GH5/meike 3,5 fisheye and a HC-X1500 for long lens clips ! Hope you'll enjoy it :

Light

« Reply #554 on: July 12, 2023, 03:58:53 AM »
Hi Slap, I've just released my new HD 4:3 video project with my friends, it's filmed with a GH5/meike 3,5 fisheye and a HC-X1500 for long lens clips ! Hope you'll enjoy it :

Rad video! Nice work

brbr

« Reply #555 on: July 12, 2023, 05:45:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Rad video! Nice work

Thanks man !!! I appreciate it

Prrapatty

« Reply #556 on: July 19, 2023, 09:40:01 AM »

Jo this is my first HD project and iam using the ax700 wit the babydeath and a cheap microphone
I also have an mk1 but I think it's better to film with the baby death, just because it's so cheap and for me the difference is not that big
What do you think ?

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #557 on: July 28, 2023, 06:42:07 AM »
Been working on a proper project where it's a mix of VX and HPX and 16mm so that'll be predominately 4x3 HD but I still dabble with mixing 16x9 and 4x3 on smaller projects. Here is a little park edit shot on my HPX171 and a Kapkur fisheye where I mixed the 2 aspect ratios.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #558 on: July 28, 2023, 09:09:58 AM »
not feeling the aspect ratio combo. id say just crop the 16:9, or do that after effects lens correction tech to stretch the 4:3 fish out to 16:9
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #559 on: July 29, 2023, 04:25:05 PM »
quick lil nyc edit i made the other day

nice work!

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #560 on: July 31, 2023, 04:16:25 PM »
quick lil nyc edit i made the other day

yo this is crazy! I was at the monument the day with the sax player, i remember seeing that AF100+fish combo and being like "damn i'm interested in how that looks".

sick clip, that's gotta be one of the better HD4:3 fisheye setups. Relatively cheap too

ArneezyBeezy

« Reply #561 on: August 02, 2023, 01:19:12 PM »

HPX170 w/ Opteka 58mm (58mm - 72mm step down ring & 1 72mm spacer)
Fotodiox Radius Mini Light

1440x1080 timeline, clips scaled to 150%.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #562 on: August 02, 2023, 05:49:24 PM »

man, I'm such a fan of HD 4:3. if I were to invest in a setup I'd def be shooting in 4:3. footage looks killer, and what a backyard to have! my only gripe is that the day/ evening clips seemed a little dark. the night clips looked on point! what was the approx total cost of your set up?

ArneezyBeezy

« Reply #563 on: August 02, 2023, 06:15:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

man, I'm such a fan of HD 4:3. if I were to invest in a setup I'd def be shooting in 4:3. footage looks killer, and what a backyard to have! my only gripe is that the day/ evening clips seemed a little dark. the night clips looked on point! what was the approx total cost of your set up?

Thanks! Agreed, was not paying attention to the exposure and it got dark quickly. Want to get into the habit of checking the exposure with the waveforms since the lcd and viewfinder arent that great. Setup was about $1400 for HPX, new fisheye, 2x 64gb P2 cards, extra batteries and charger.

buangsuwon

• Rep: 2
« Reply #564 on: September 15, 2023, 01:41:07 PM »
Hi,

Long time reader of slap, first time poster. I got a Sony FX3 for work so figured I'd try it out skating too.

s0lkatt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #565 on: October 29, 2023, 08:48:27 AM »
I just got a hmc150, and I want to film mostly 4:3 but occasionally (if the project calls for it) widescreen. Is it feasible to get a 72mm opteka and space out for 4:3 or should I get the 52mm? I remember reading some posts about this but can’t seem to find them now, dunno if it was in this thread or another.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #566 on: October 29, 2023, 09:25:34 AM »
I just got a hmc150, and I want to film mostly 4:3 but occasionally (if the project calls for it) widescreen. Is it feasible to get a 72mm opteka and space out for 4:3 or should I get the 52mm? I remember reading some posts about this but can’t seem to find them now, dunno if it was in this thread or another.
theyre all the same optics just with different threads so get the cheapest one you can find. wether it be opteka, veledge, kapkur..

you'll need 2-3 spacer/stepdown rings for 4:3
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Donny_filmz

• Rep: -1
« Reply #567 on: November 09, 2023, 05:54:57 AM »
dusted off my gh5 the other day, been filming with my hpx/xtreme the last year or so.

settup is gh5 with the canon 8-15mm mounted using the metabones .64x speed booster and wooden camera vx mic. I set my zoom with the lens to where theres just a little in the corners then made a black mask cause i don't really like the blue.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #568 on: November 09, 2023, 11:34:22 AM »

brbr

« Reply #569 on: November 09, 2023, 12:01:20 PM »

why would you use a Century X-treme to crop it to 4:3...