Author Topic: Skate insights/secrets  (Read 43225 times)

drcroc

Re: Skate insights/secrets
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2017, 06:30:14 AM »

This is a diagram for goofy-footed heelflips. You want to lean your body weight/posture (i.e. back shoulder down to back leg) well/firmly into the light blue area, but not so much that you fall backwards. This gives you the proper stance to be able to catch the board with the most surface area as it comes around so you can land bolts and ride away. I spent over 10-15 years figuring this out myself, figured I'd share.

handsclapanin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2017, 08:28:42 AM »
Buy brand name Q-tips. The generic version might save you a buck, but could potentially damage your ear canal, due to lack of cotton.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #182 on: June 28, 2017, 08:58:33 AM »
Buy brand name Q-tips. The generic version might save you a buck, but could potentially damage your ear canal, due to lack of cotton.
Testify! Those cheap shits are lethal.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2017, 09:28:26 AM »

This is a diagram for goofy-footed heelflips. You want to lean your body weight/posture (i.e. back shoulder down to back leg) well/firmly into the light blue area, but not so much that you fall backwards. This gives you the proper stance to be able to catch the board with the most surface area as it comes around so you can land bolts and ride away. I spent over 10-15 years figuring this out myself, figured I'd share.

Little Debbie

« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2017, 12:30:36 PM »
i don't know why that's so funny but i can't stop smirking

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »
You aren't meant to clean your inner ears at all, seriously.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2017, 05:41:29 PM »
I can't powerslide. Been skating forever, it never made sense to me. My board stops if I turn sideways and I fall off before any sliding occurs. Only time I've felt real powerslides is on something slippery like leaves in the fall.

Help.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2017, 09:07:18 PM »
I can't powerslide. Been skating forever, it never made sense to me. My board stops if I turn sideways and I fall off before any sliding occurs. Only time I've felt real powerslides is on something slippery like leaves in the fall.

Help.

Get Spitfire Formula Fours (101A preferably). Start with frontside reverts going somewhat fast. Gradually try to bring the front wheels in to the slide. No worries if the front wheels don't slide, then you're just doing a revert instead of eating shit. Once you get the feeling for frontside 180 powerslides, it's much easier to learn the others as you already know what it takes to make the wheels slide. Also one thing that helps learn powerslides is carving into it. Do a backside carve and from that shift your weight to the frontside 180 powerslide. Helped me learn them on soft wheels instead of Spitfire F4's which slide like a dream.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #188 on: June 29, 2017, 12:06:13 AM »

Help.
Find a mellow hill to bomb, start to PUSH your board in front of you and at the same time move your weight on heels (fs powerslide). I learned them findind a position where I ended up on my ass, ie. pushing that board in front of me too much and take little back. Key for powerslides is in your back foot, just push the shit out of your back wheels... and like Roisto said, 180 reverts on flat helps too.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #189 on: June 29, 2017, 08:26:08 AM »
For Kickflips, I focus on dragging my foot straight forward like how you level out an ollie but instead of doing it in the center of the nose, I do it right through the pocket. The closer my drag through the center of the nose, the more it bones out.

I'm trying to get kickflips to come up to my catching foot, but I'm not getting it. If I'm lucky, they normally level out. If I'm unlucky, they rocket or worse, nose dive badly like a forward flip.

How should I be dragging my front foot (regular)?

Like this:

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2017, 08:37:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The no jacking off thing before skating is real, whether it's mental or not. I'll even avoid sex the night before skating sometimes. I guess a good sesh outweighs hormones a bit as you get older.
[close]

LOL, you're kidding right?
[close]

Yoooo who's mans is this?

"Sorry babe, not tonight. I'm going filming with the boys tomorrow and I gotta be at my best"

Shorty sitting there spread eagle like

"Well then what about tomorrow night?"

"Shiiiiiit, I was gonna skate the day after that too"

Hahah this is good
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »
Any advice for popping out of blunt stalls? Is the best way to learn them with the hand grab first? I can get into them but can't get out. Any advice is appreciated!

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Too good.  Hahaha

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2017, 01:06:20 PM »
Expand Quote

Help.
[close]

Get Spitfire Formula Fours (101A preferably). Start with frontside reverts going somewhat fast. Gradually try to bring the front wheels in to the slide. No worries if the front wheels don't slide, then you're just doing a revert instead of eating shit. Once you get the feeling for frontside 180 powerslides, it's much easier to learn the others as you already know what it takes to make the wheels slide. Also one thing that helps learn powerslides is carving into it. Do a backside carve and from that shift your weight to the frontside 180 powerslide. Helped me learn them on soft wheels instead of Spitfire F4's which slide like a dream.

For me, I kind of have my heels off the edge of he board a little bit. That way I have some leverage to push the board forward as I slide. Plus it feels better. It's almost like you're putting your weight on your heel, or the arch of your foot as you slide and leaning wayy back. Just force that shit in front of you and put your weight into it. Think about it. You weight like 200 pounds almost, your board weighs like 5? You can force that shit to do anything. Just use that mentality.

Master Roshi

• Rep: 4
« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2017, 01:42:14 PM »
Any advice for popping out of blunt stalls? Is the best way to learn them with the hand grab first? I can get into them but can't get out. Any advice is appreciated!

I think a combo of grabbing the nose straight in and popping to rock fakie.
You get the feel for popping out with the one to rock fakie and the feel for going straight in from the nosegrab out.

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2017, 02:07:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Help.
[close]

[close]

For me, I kind of have my heels off the edge of he board a little bit. That way I have some leverage to push the board forward as I slide. Plus it feels better. It's almost like you're putting your weight on your heel, or the arch of your foot as you slide and leaning wayy back. Just force that shit in front of you and put your weight into it. Think about it. You weight like 200 pounds almost, your board weighs like 5? You can force that shit to do anything. Just use that mentality.

ill add that I think of them in two steps. first just think of it as a 180 powerslide revert thing. this will take the weight off your back foot and allow you to slide it out. then when youre half way around, lean back on your heels and push the board out. and go fast.

and F4s were made for powerslides.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2017, 02:40:32 PM »
For frontside slides just take the weight of your back foot and swing your hips and legs front side and you will slide, its kind of a full body motion to get used to, using you arms to balance when straightening out again, which kind just happens on its own

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #197 on: June 29, 2017, 04:12:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Can someone please break down back tails.  I've been skating 20 years and never got them locked and now I just fling at it.  Where should I be looking or have my head.  in front toward the ledge? down at my back foot?
[close]

Took me forever to master them, but now it's the only trick I know how to do. I found out over time that many people's problem is that they get too on top of the ledge and stop sliding. The "hint" is to lean away from the ledge almost like a back 180 next to the ledge and just stick your tail on to the ledge. Your body should not really be on top of the ledge at all. I don't know if this makes sense, but i had this epiphany now it makes sense for me. Hope that helps cause they're a fun trick.

On a low ledge, scoop the tail and face the upper left bolt roughly.

On a higher ledge, pop 90 and do the same fuckin thing.

To come out fakie be looking at the right bolt

Im regs so reverse this if goofy

The trick to bs tails is to not turn your upper body. Only your lower body. When sliding, you'll essentially be looking down your target line, in a sense. Same with fs nose slides.

Look at Kenny and Carroll's posture.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #198 on: June 29, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »
Good looks yall maybe there's hope for me doing powerslides

Grind King Rims

« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2017, 07:23:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You aren't meant to clean your inner ears at all, seriously.

Yeah, this is correct. Use Q-tips to clean the secreted wax in your outer ear, but do not insert q tips into your inner ear/ear canal.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1973
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2017, 07:21:19 PM »
Any general tips on skating steeper tranny? I've got a decent amount of qp tricks, but there are a couple steeper ones that I just freeze up at.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #201 on: July 01, 2017, 05:53:14 AM »
That Kenny/ Carroll back tail technique analysis is gold, so sick how close their techniques are, arms and everything

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2017, 09:43:19 AM »
What's the trick to backside big spins? My pop shuv it's are fine and backside 180s are decent, but they don't work together at all. Been trying it on and off for years and I've never gotten anywhere with it and it drives me crazy seeing people who do it so easily.

S.E.

« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »
What's the trick to backside big spins? My pop shuv it's are fine and backside 180s are decent, but they don't work together at all. Been trying it on and off for years and I've never gotten anywhere with it and it drives me crazy seeing people who do it so easily.

SCOOOOOOP and your shoulders should be parallel with the nose and tail the whole time.  scoop and shoulder turn simultaneously and it comes right around.  dont lean forward or you'll slide out to your teeth if you're doing it down something

thebacker

« Reply #204 on: July 01, 2017, 10:08:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

SCOOOOOOP and your shoulders should be parallel with the nose and tail the whole time.  scoop and shoulder turn simultaneously and it comes right around.  dont lean forward or you'll slide out to your teeth if you're doing it down something
prettyy much this. its ALL in the scoop

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2017, 11:37:52 AM »
Good looks yall maybe there's hope for me doing powerslides

find a nice blacktop parking lot. so much easier to get the hang of it on blacktop/asphalt.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #206 on: July 03, 2017, 06:01:24 PM »
This thread rules! Just skated for the first time after reading it and was able to relearn several old tricks that I couldn't figure out how I lost.

This advice was stellar:

For grinds, especially front truck stuff you want to jump into the grind, not onto it.  A lot of people pop up and come down on the ledge, what you want is to jump forward into the grind. 

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #207 on: July 03, 2017, 06:13:26 PM »
Keep your back foot closer to the bolts, only way to do them without a pivot or slide.

tura

• Rep: 45
« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2017, 07:49:20 PM »
I learnt bigspins by doing back 180s with a scoop. They end up pretty sketchy, but you can clean em up when you get comfortable. For non popped ones try not to move your front foot and sort of step around it

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2017, 08:02:16 PM »
Don't talk a bunch of shit about how you're gonna go to a famous spot you've seen in a video for the first time and kill it. Just because pros make it look easy to skate doesn't mean that it is, and you're going to look like a dickhead for talking about what you would do & not doing it.

I did that shit once, and once was all it took for me to learn better.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.