Author Topic: Famous gaps - comparison graphic  (Read 27593 times)

Tenterhooks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
Famous gaps - comparison graphic
« on: May 12, 2017, 10:57:40 AM »

In one of the Atlanta Slamma threads, Atiba Applebum mentioned that it'd be cool to see how some famous gaps stacked up against each other. I gave it a go with a few biggies to see if it was something I could pull off. I figure my work-in-progress version is interesting enough to warrant a thread.

As I'm in the UK, I can only eyeball the dimensions using photographs and Google Maps so I'm likely way off. If anyone has access to solid measurements (or wants to go get them), I'm happy to update the graphic to make it more accurate. I'll also add more spots when I get the chance so let me know if you have any requests. I'll make it prettier too.

EDIT: added a smaller version that doesn't break tables
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:03:47 AM by Tenterhooks »
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
Re: Famous gaps - comparison graphic
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »

In one of the Atlanta Slamma threads, Atiba Applebum mentioned that it'd be cool to see how some famous gaps stacked up against each other. I gave it a go with a few biggies to see if it was something I could pull off. I figure my work-in-progress version is interesting enough to warrant a thread.

As I'm in the UK, I can only eyeball the dimensions using photographs and Google Maps so I'm likely way off. If anyone has access to solid measurements (or wants to go get them), I'm happy to update the graphic to make it more accurate. I'll also add more spots when I get the chance so let me know if you have any requests. I'll make it prettier too.

This is cool, yet pointless

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
I've seen all these in person and the most impossible looking one to me was Wallenberg-by far.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 11:11:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just like skateboarding

Tenterhooks

• I love you x
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 11:15:37 AM »

100% agree.

I've seen all these in person and the most impossible looking one to me was Wallenberg-by far.

I've only seen Love in person and it was big. I think Wallenberg seems even crazier because it's a little shorter height-wise but a good couple of feet longer?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »
Wallenberg is gnarlier than Love, but they are definitely in the same ballpark sizewise.

I refuse to believe Hollywood high is taller than the Davis gap.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 12:49:18 PM »
Wallenberg is gnarlier than Love, but they are definitely in the same ballpark sizewise.

There's a double set near the Davis gap that appears to be roughly the same height as the gap itself,  not sure how many stairs total but it looks like more than 16. I'd guess Hollywood high is an 8ish foot vertical drop? I have no idea how tall each stair is, but probably 5 or 6 inches right?
Davis has gotta be taller. Reynolds kickflipped both, he definitely seemed to spend much more time in the air at Uc Davis, his frame relative to both respective gaps made Davis seem taller. Idk dude, I'm bored at work, rambling.

im probably lying

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
There's a double set near the Davis gap that appears to be roughly the same height as the gap itself,  not sure how many stairs total but it looks like more than 16. I'd guess Hollywood high is an 8ish foot vertical drop? I have no idea how tall each stair is, but probably 5 or 6 inches right?
Davis has gotta be taller. Reynolds kickflipped both, he definitely seemed to spend much more time in the air at Uc Davis, his frame relative to both respective gaps made Davis seem taller. Idk dude, I'm bored at work, rambling.

Hollywood 16 is big,I went to the first maloof cup and that replica was perfect(my buddy got a few tricks on it on a borrowed board). I have yet to see the davis gap but it does look a little shorter drop wise,but longer gap wise

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 01:05:15 PM »
This was famous even before someone got a trick

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 01:08:52 PM »
What makes Wallenburg even crazier is the no run up space. Like with Love, you can start from super far and get your speed and setup. Wallenburg without the roll in is just crazy.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 01:11:29 PM »
Hollywood 16 would be easy to measure. Might do it if I have time. Is love still there?
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 885
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 01:12:19 PM »
Definitely thought wallenburg tricks where they bombed the hill were cooler, has anyone hit wallenberg with the fence there and no roll in? I don't think so.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 01:14:11 PM »
Without actual measurements, this thread is pointless

I like the idea though, I'd like to know how big the EMB gap is

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 01:22:57 PM »
What makes Wallenburg even crazier is the no run up space. Like with Love, you can start from super far and get your speed and setup. Wallenburg without the roll in is just crazy.
Wallenberg just looks impossible. I still can't believe people are doing shit like ss fs 360s and nollie bs heels down that thing. Has anyone done fakie flip yet? I've been waiting on that one, I sincerely believe that Bastien could've handled it. And I think Gipper said the dude that 180d it ran down the hallway, that Garret Ginger kid kickflipped it the same way

im probably lying

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 01:24:18 PM »
I've never been, but davis has to be higher than Hollywood high 16.

Nobody is 360 heelflipping Davis, yet Hollywood high was done solid(I know, flawed logic)

Wallenburg looks accurate. Low and long as fuck.

Wallenburg is just fucked
Gentleman ninja warlock

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 01:29:40 PM »
Without actual measurements, this thread is pointless

I like the idea though, I'd like to know how big the EMB gap is

It's was like a long 8 stair, wasn't that big at all honestly. The gap made it really gnarly looking though. And the fact that if you hung up or landed sketchy you could pitch down the set head first

Throw Carlsbad on the diagram. Not that big either but sketchy as fuck
Gentleman ninja warlock

micky682

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »
Hollywood 16 looks deceiving on video, when you go to it in person it isn't the gnarliest set. There's a 12 stair by my house that's bigger.

quaintly

• Rep: 11
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 01:48:36 PM »
wallenberg is higher than love for sure

shark tits

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »
Hollywood 16 would be easy to measure. Might do it if I have time. Is love still there?
no
'Cause it's gone, daddy, gone -- your love is gone
Yeah, it's gone, daddy, gone -- your love is gone
Yeah, it's gone, daddy, gone -- your love is gone
Yeah, it's gone, daddy, gone -- your love is gone away

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 01:59:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Wallenberg just looks impossible. I still can't believe people are doing shit like ss fs 360s and nollie bs heels down that thing. Has anyone done fakie flip yet? I've been waiting on that one, I sincerely believe that Bastien could've handled it. And I think Gipper said the dude that 180d it ran down the hallway, that Garret Ginger kid kickflipped it the same way
Yep. Jesse Paez is that dude.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yep. Jesse Paez is that dude.

Sick! Haven't heard his or Richards skating brought up for awhile. Super gnarly guys
Gentleman ninja warlock

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
I've never been, but davis has to be higher than Hollywood high 16.

Nobody is 360 heelflipping Davis, yet Hollywood high was done solid(I know, flawed logic)

Wallenburg looks accurate. Low and long as fuck.

Wallenburg is just fucked

Good, I'm glad.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Tenterhooks

• I love you x
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 02:39:44 PM »

Here's an updated version with some markers for scale (each dot is 1ft). I've moved my file to Illustrator and put stuff on a proper grid that means I can adjust things really easily now. I'd just knocked together the first one in Photoshop. I know this is all a bit pointless and nerdy but I enjoy trying to figure this stuff out.

A couple of things I've used as starting points:

For Hollywood High, I used a standard US stair size (11'' x 7'') for each of the 16 steps. This gives a length of near 14', which is fairly close to the length that Google Maps' measurement tool gives me.

Someone pointed out the double-set at UC Davis. There's 18 stairs there - used that to get the new height which does indeed make it taller than Hollywood High.

Love and Wallenberg are much harder. There are a few photos of boards next to the Love steps that let me estimate a height. Each 'step' looks to be around 5' wide. Wallenberg height is the most unknown of these many unknowns so it's probably really wrong. Happy to adjust as the discussion continues.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 02:40:03 PM »
really surprised official diagram/measurements haven't been done. Fuck it ad the megaramp blue prints as well.

Obviously El Toro still is the biggest flippable huck in skateboarding otherwise everything done down UC Davis would have been done there.

if i could only see the length of the water tower gap in the form of a long jump, i'd be fully nerded.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 02:43:04 PM »
having been to wallenberg, its just mind-boggling how long it is for the height. you cant see the landing until youre already a ways off of it.

Tenterhooks

• I love you x
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 03:12:25 PM »

Wild stabs at El Toro and the water towers.

dirty ol man

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »
just measured ~13 feet for water tower. that is fucked up if true. could even be longer. thanks for the diagrams.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 03:50:54 PM »
Wallenberg is short, height-wise. Hopefully someone in the SF area can figure out an exact height, but when I was there, I feel like I could see the top of the run up standing at the bottom -- maybe five or six feet tall?

Someone was asking about the big five in Atlanta. The four around back is definitely over head high, though not particularly long. I'd ballpark it around eight feet by eight feet.

What other big sets are we missing? Bercy? San Diego triple set?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:00:00 PM by heckler »
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

dirty ol man

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 04:09:34 PM »
length wise i think that SD sports complex triple. mugs were BARELY making it over that and nicking the last step. has to be the longest flippable gap.

iconic wise, nothing else comes to mind from a generican POV as far as gaps go. carlsbad, EMB etc have been dwarfed at this point not to belittle the significance.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »
It's kinda crazy how they're all relatively the same length (give or take) but their heights are so different.