Author Topic: Roanoke, Raleigh-Durham, Virginia beach, Richmond, Washington D.C  (Read 298 times)

steezenking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
Am doing a road trip with Girlfriend that will be heading through these cities. Looking for fun, unique street spots. Also for medium to small sized hubba's. Am trying to do a street part before my old age sets in.

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
Re: Roanoke, Raleigh-Durham, Virginia beach, Richmond, Washington D.C
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 02:54:17 PM »
Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Radford, all about 40mins from Roanoke have spots for days. Handrail & hills everywhere. All three have very lax towards skaters too. BBurg is the best out of the three imo. However school just started and there's ppl everywhere. I tried skating last night and spent much more time waiting for ppl to pass thru than skating.

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 02:55:04 PM »
Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Radford, all about 40mins from Roanoke have spots for days. Handrail & hills everywhere. All three have very lax towards skaters too. BBurg is the best out of the three imo. However school just started and there's ppl everywhere. I tried skating last night and spent much more time waiting for ppl to pass thru than skating.
Lax attitudes*

overwaxed

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 06:27:07 PM »
I grew up around Roanoke and there’s some great spots - if you like concrete parks, the one in Bedford (30 mins east of Roanoke on 460) is one of the best on the east coast.

Roanoke has some solid street spots, downtown is fun for cruising around and the schools have some solid stairs / ledges / etc.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 08:40:08 AM »
Blacksburg has a fun bowl and Virginia Tech campus has a ton of spots. If you go after 5pm, campus is usually pretty empty. I haven’t been in forever, but these were the spots we used to go on campus:
-Courtyard in front of Cowgill Hall (behind Burruss Hall) has a bunch of ledges, manny pads, and smaller stair sets
-There’s a tall curb that goes down a 4 stair (maybe 5?) behind Patton Hall
-Long 6 stair in front of Dietrick Hall
-Hill bomb starting in front of Engel Hall down W Campus dr
-Courtyard between Vawter, Newman, and Barringer Hall. If I remember correctly there was a good hubba right between Vawter and Newman

You will likely pass Charlottesville on your trip. Charlottesville has (in my opinion) the best skatepark in VA. It’s also a college town, so there’s probably a ton of good spots on their campus too.

I never skated street in the DC area, but if you can skate transition, check out Green Skate Lab (DIY). There’s also the new park in Shaw that’s pretty close

Richmond has a newer skatepark, search for Southside Community Center Skate Park.

VB has the new Woodstock skatepark and Williams Farm. Trashmore sucks now that they rebuilt it, the vert ramp is the only thing worth going for now. Northside skatepark in Norfolk has a pretty big street plaza section too.

I grew up around Roanoke and there’s some great spots - if you like concrete parks, the one in Bedford (30 mins east of Roanoke on 460) is one of the best on the east coast.

Roanoke has some solid street spots, downtown is fun for cruising around and the schools have some solid stairs / ledges / etc.

Do you remember when the Poff federal building had that flat handrail out front? I was never good enough to hit it, but saw a few people hit it over the years

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1235
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 12:56:44 PM »
holler when youre rolling out, im from vb and live in raleigh, happy to help or meet for a session

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 05:33:21 AM »
holler when youre rolling out, im from vb and live in raleigh, happy to help or meet for a session

Thanks!

And thanks to everyone else for tips. Think most my skating will ending up in DC. findskatespots.com is actually pretty sweet website lol