Author Topic: Daniel Harold Sturt  (Read 20171 times)

Iceman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
Re: Daniel Harold Sturt
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2021, 06:50:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sturt shooting Rowley is a match made in heaven/hell
 I remember a sturt (color photo ) sequence of Rowley in Thrasher, think part was the cover, but the caption said something like "Geoff Rowley back 3 into the Matter Horn, take this out of the mag and staple it to your fucking eye balls" Something like that, wish I had that one
[close]

I remember that caption well. It was for this photo.

[close]

Probably my favourite cover ever, thanks for sharing.
[close]

This one's actually a little false as the camera angle makes the bank look steeper than it actually is! Cleverly done but if you look at the bushes they seem a little off.
[close]

Not really the angle, the lens. All that Rowley stuff that looked warped like that was shot on a tilt shift lens.
regardless of lens type, it's obvious he tilted the camera 45 degrees toward making the bank look impossibly steep. an old photographey trick pushed further.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2022, 08:07:02 PM »
Bumping this from over a year ago. But I think it's worth it.

I scanned and posted the Dan Sturt photo feature today. The one from the Transworld issue with Mullen on the cover.

Enjoy.

https://skatemagscans.blogspot.com/2022/06/daniel-harold-sturt-photo-feature.html?m=1
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2022, 08:35:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
 I remember a sturt (color photo ) sequence of Rowley in Thrasher, think part was the cover, but the caption said something like "Geoff Rowley back 3 into the Matter Horn, take this out of the mag and staple it to your fucking eye balls" Something like that, wish I had that one
[close]

[close]

[close]

This one's actually a little false as the camera angle makes the bank look steeper than it actually is! Cleverly done but if you look at the bushes they seem a little off.
[close]

Not really the angle, the lens. All that Rowley stuff that looked warped like that was shot on a tilt shift lens.
[close]
regardless of lens type, it's obvious he tilted the camera 45 degrees toward making the bank look impossibly steep. an old photographey trick pushed further.

well, no not really. tilt shift lenses, when fully tilted either up or down, stretch the last 1/3 - 1/4 of the frame in a weird way. so probably a slight angle to accentuate the bank, and then the shift makes it more dramatic. source - i shoot with tilt shift lenses for a living.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2022, 08:42:15 PM »

I scanned and posted the Dan Sturt photo feature today. The one from the Transworld issue with Mullen on the cover.

Enjoy.

https://skatemagscans.blogspot.com/2022/06/daniel-harold-sturt-photo-feature.html?m=1
HEAVY thank you
ableSkateMag.com

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2022, 08:46:20 PM »
And I have come across the Vans ad of him doing the loop but didn't scan it for some dumb reason. I'll try to find it and scan it and post it on the blog & here.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2022, 12:46:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

well, no not really. tilt shift lenses, when fully tilted either up or down, stretch the last 1/3 - 1/4 of the frame in a weird way. so probably a slight angle to accentuate the bank, and then the shift makes it more dramatic. source - i shoot with tilt shift lenses for a living.

I think the poster above you means tilt as in rotated the camera not tilt as in tilt shift lens. I could be wrong though.

I've never used a tilt shift lens. They're mainly used for keeping lines straight in architecture photohtaphy right?

I remember when this cover came out, people pointed out the angle the plants were at. If you hold the cover so they're growing straight up that's probably a more realistic  0 degree point.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2022, 08:01:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I think the poster above you means tilt as in rotated the camera not tilt as in tilt shift lens. I could be wrong though.

I've never used a tilt shift lens. They're mainly used for keeping lines straight in architecture photohtaphy right?

I remember when this cover came out, people pointed out the angle the plants were at. If you hold the cover so they're growing straight up that's probably a more realistic  0 degree point.

This is part of the image tilted 30 degrees clockwise. Indeed the bank looks less gnarly and the bushes more natural. Either way, great pic.

Did anyone mention how Sturt "poached" footage of DWay setting a new world record for a highest air on a vert ramp in like 98 (Sturt set up a camera with like a 1600 mm long lens and got the pictures in Thrasher  before TWS who paid for the ramp, location (a former airport iirc) A real legend.

Edit: just compared the footage of the 360 ollie in Extremely Sorry and Sturt (apart from tilting the camera) must have had his camera very low (probably lying on the ground or they must have photoshopped Rowley a bit higher in the air) since it looks way lower in the video. 

Good example of how a camera (angle, lens or both) can make a trick look huge (or sometimes vice versa) like JJ doing a switch tre over what appeared to be almost a river in South Korea but when the footage came out it was a small ditch in a park.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 09:18:07 AM by TheDraught »

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2022, 10:23:09 AM »
the footage of that trick is so much less impressive than the photo it was years before i actually realized they were the same trick.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2022, 10:29:41 AM »
Its crazy how insane of a skater he was too. You gotta be a ripper in order to do the loop, hell even if you are one you might not do it.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2022, 03:43:05 PM »
Isn’t he crazy religious?

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2022, 06:38:53 PM »
Isn’t he crazy religious?

yeah, religiously good at taking photos

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2022, 07:49:12 PM »
ZING!

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2022, 10:37:11 PM »

Enjoy.

Thank you so much. This dude is definitely in that class of true american weirdos that skateboarding attracts. People like the Muska etc etc that are just on another wavelength. amazing interview.

https://skatemagscans.blogspot.com/2022/04/dan-sturt-skating-bobs-mega-ramp.html?m=0

I just laughed out loud. what the fuck

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2022, 10:57:52 PM »
This thread and all your contributions are much appreciated. So good memories.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2022, 06:46:59 AM »

Dan Sturt doing the Loop at age 38

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2022, 08:03:41 AM »
Thanks for digging this one up!

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2022, 08:11:22 AM »
so is the Swing Flip real or nah

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2022, 08:14:16 AM »
I'm reminded of Sturt's greatness every morning when I drive the 805 through La Jolla. This photo mesmerized me as a teenager

lurker_and_poster

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2022, 08:30:41 AM »
I'm reminded of Sturt's greatness every morning when I drive the 805 through La Jolla. This photo mesmerized me as a teenager

Yeah - me too. Sturt work early  /mid 90s was never seen before and untouchable.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2022, 08:32:09 AM »
I don't think it is

lurker_and_poster

« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2022, 08:38:50 AM »

Dan Sturt doing the Loop at age 38

Thank you for posting. This photos shows what a gnarly skate nerd Sturt was.

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -96
  • tae-tae
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2022, 08:55:03 AM »
I had the magazine with the Sturt photos in it as a kid. Can't remember how many times I must've read the captions and looked at the photos. Still amazing to look back on, even (more) today. Definitely my fac skateboard photographer of all time.
ohyeahohyeah

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2022, 09:00:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't think it is
Are any photos he is in real?

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2022, 09:06:18 AM »
how do we know this guy is real at all? Maybe it's a Banksy/Mr. Brainwash situation?

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2022, 10:20:57 AM »
Swing flip real as fuck, get outta here.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2022, 10:29:09 AM »

I think so too. Seems pretty hard to do trick photography on that sequence, especially back then. The only thing sus to me was it seems there should be a frame between 11 and 12.

lurker_and_poster

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2022, 11:05:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think so too. Seems pretty hard to do trick photography on that sequence, especially back then. The only thing sus to me was it seems there should be a frame between 11 and 12.

Have high respect for Stuart - but in this case I think it was trick.
Had a couple of friends who where really good with the swing, jumping off doing flips and stuff - and where really good at skating and they try to redo that stunt over years. It was absolutely impossible.

Our solution was back then from page 6 board & feet where tied up - then the move is possible.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2022, 11:13:06 AM »
well now that i have seen he has done the loop at 38 years old i imagine he must be actually really insane skater. he might have some sick gymnastics background orsomething. so maybe it is real.
ONTARIO CANADA

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2022, 11:17:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Have high respect for Stuart - but in this case I think it was trick.
Had a couple of friends who where really good with the swing, jumping off doing flips and stuff - and where really good at skating and they try to redo that stunt over years. It was absolutely impossible.

Our solution was back then from page 6 board & feet where tied up - then the move is possible.
Soz if I missed the joke but there's been trick photography for almost as long as there's been photography. I can think of a couple ways you could do it and I have absolutely zero of the expertise dan Sturt has. But then I also always thought his loop pic was sus too.