Author Topic: Daniel Harold Sturt  (Read 20177 times)

Burton Ernie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Daniel Harold Sturt
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2022, 12:05:37 PM »
I know trick photography has been around forever, just in this case it seems hard to fake that due to the swing, board, momentum, etc. I'm not ruling it out though, it's either an impressive trick or an impressive fake.

Either way I made it into a gif...

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2022, 12:14:27 PM »
I know trick photography has been around forever, just in this case it seems hard to fake that due to the swing, board, momentum, etc. I'm not ruling it out though, it's either an impressive trick or an impressive fake.

Ok definatly looks way better animated like that. Fuck it maybe he did do it lol. If I was going to fake it tho I'd take a sequence of the first bit like swing down put my feet on the board and try pop an Ollie and let the board just fly off, then stick my feet to a board and just swing and do a flip, then maybe just roll thru do an Ollie for the landing and some extra roll away. Not saying that's what definatly happened tho just first idea of how I'd make that sequence

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2022, 12:17:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Ok definatly looks way better animated like that. Fuck it maybe he did do it lol. If I was going to fake it tho I'd take a sequence of the first bit like swing down put my feet on the board and try pop an Ollie and let the board just fly off, then stick my feet to a board and just swing and do a flip, then maybe just roll thru do an Ollie for the landing and some extra roll away. Not saying that's what definatly happened tho just first idea of how I'd make that sequence

I bet you're right, I bet it's a couple sequences spliced together and his feet are attached for the latter part.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2022, 12:31:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I bet you're right, I bet it's a couple sequences spliced together and his feet are attached for the latter part.
I gnar you. I must of watched the gif fifty times now. I'm converted. he somehow did it. Some kind of adhesive on the bottom of his shoes.... Magnets?..

OwlGreen

• Rep: -127
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2022, 01:12:02 PM »

I never really got this. Always struck me as the kind of way you see skateboarding represented in marketing that has nothing to do with skateboarding. Like on the wall at Macy's. Or in like a yogurt commercial. Obvious bailshot is obvious. Or am I tripping and they brought a little quarterpipe up there and it's a legit, made back d. What's the story?

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2022, 01:22:29 PM »
How did his hat stay on?
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Tabletop

• Rep: -74
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2022, 02:51:17 PM »
Look at the shadow in the background.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2022, 10:41:00 AM »

Wow - this looks great! No matter what he have done…

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2022, 10:46:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I never really got this. Always struck me as the kind of way you see skateboarding represented in marketing that has nothing to do with skateboarding. Like on the wall at Macy's. Or in like a yogurt commercial. Obvious bailshot is obvious. Or am I tripping and they brought a little quarterpipe up there and it's a legit, made back d. What's the story?

Stuart was always about the composition- more then
abou the trick - his cooperation with Matt - was masterwork defining skateboarding and skateboard photography- but he was always „organizing something“ remember some Hensley interview - that Stuart was pick him up with ideas and Matt didn’t know where they go and what he had in mind.

With this photo there was a quarter hidden, the road was closed. Matt said he „make“ it - but the photo was much better the the „done trick“
If I remember right…

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2022, 11:06:59 AM »

so rad

quaintly

• Rep: 10
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2022, 02:48:12 PM »
Anyone who thinks the swing flip is real is either trolling or doesn’t understand the most basic physics .

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 158
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2022, 03:05:58 PM »
Anyone who thinks the swing flip is real is either trolling or doesn’t understand the most basic physics .

Yeah the chain/seat in the final slides are a giveaway in my mind, doesnt behave normally

Seems like his backfoot at least is attached to the board.  He’d have to be going so fast to actually scoop a board up like that with his feet alone

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2022, 01:15:21 PM »
http://imgur.com/a/MOZfqs1

Trouble embedding. Probably because of Sturt’s sorcery.

He exists.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 158
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2022, 10:12:12 AM »
http://imgur.com/a/MOZfqs1

Trouble embedding. Probably because of Sturt’s sorcery.

He exists.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2022, 10:51:16 AM »
brother can’t noseslide

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2022, 12:14:52 PM »
brother can’t noseslide

Love the rails though. Black on black.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2022, 11:54:14 AM »
dude must have strapped the hat to his head as well loll that makes it a bit more sus imo probably just used a fake body for those frames so you purposefully cant see the dummy's floppy head
ONTARIO CANADA

Parker394

• Rep: 1
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »

Parker394

« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2022, 11:10:56 AM »
Haven't spoken to him in prolly 5 years, he'd hate the fact that I'm posting these!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OdK5OhC_i4

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2022, 11:18:40 AM »
Haven't spoken to him in prolly 5 years, he'd hate the fact that I'm posting these!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OdK5OhC_i4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEAn7O7bOoc

Is this Sturt skating? Nice smith grind

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2022, 12:44:30 PM »
Since my name is Daniel Stewart, I got called Daniel Harold Sturt a lot growing up. But not as much as I got called "Daniel-San".

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2022, 04:23:40 PM »
He stayed on my couch for a few nights in the early 2000''s. I took him to whiterock bowl and it made him want to start skating again. He was quite reserved about my lifestyle back then with all the cokes and bong hits and junk food......before he left he told me that I am his Tyler Durden. Never saw him again.

Very glad to have met him and shot a photo.

He has a P.O. box as the address on his ID.
    Do you remember these crackheads Norm and his friend (his name might have been Oden- I forget tho).  They were old White Rock rippers and Norm had a big scar on his face cause of his friend.  They were fucked up crackheads that moved to Whistler from White Rock and brought a dark cloud over the village.  I saw Norm do a corkscrew kf stalefish 540 out of the snakerun bowl to flat. I realize that does not sound real but he I saw him do it. 
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

bohemian

• Rep: -300
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2022, 01:00:12 AM »
I'm reminded of Sturt's greatness every morning when I drive the 805 through La Jolla. This photo mesmerized me as a teenager

sick as fuck

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2022, 01:20:54 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm reminded of Sturt's greatness every morning when I drive the 805 through La Jolla. This photo mesmerized me as a teenager

[close]

sick as fuck

he's definitely all time best. what's up with photographers now - is it a film vs digital thing [plus obviously a great mind and eye]? cause you didn't have to be around at the time to still find all of his photos impactful - so many boring photos happening with such great skating these days.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2022, 05:49:57 AM »
Since my name is Daniel Stewart, I got called Daniel Harold Sturt a lot growing up. But not as much as I got called "Daniel-San".

So glad you’re back, GAY.  Haha

Best skate photographer ever, imo.  Hell, even the stuff he filmed was epic.

Parker394

« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2022, 09:45:57 AM »
Expand Quote

Is this Sturt skating? Nice smith grind
[close]

No that's Buddy Carr but Dan filmed it.

Parker394

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2022, 09:50:37 AM »
Here's another one he did of me at Bob's before going to Bucky's Bowl bash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9SiGiGBK0

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2022, 10:51:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

sick as fuck
[close]

he's definitely all time best. what's up with photographers now - is it a film vs digital thing [plus obviously a great mind and eye]? cause you didn't have to be around at the time to still find all of his photos impactful - so many boring photos happening with such great skating these days.

the thing with modern skate photography is it has to be perfect and follow a bunch of rules if you wanna get published, I believe that all started with Atibas influence, he really cleaned everything up which forced everyone else too, and created a lot of very boring textbook perfect photgraphy. Most of Dan's famous photos would never be run in modern publications cuz he cuts peoples heads, parts of boards, holds the camera at random angles, even a to amazing Spike Jonze stuff would probably get axed cuz he broke a lot of the rules. Basically now everything has to be perfect composed and framed, you need to see run up, landing, all flashes need to be hidden and evenly lit. Like anything it gets boring wants it gets perfected.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2022, 12:15:38 PM »
I was always under the impression that this ol' Frankenstein lookin motherfucker in Rowley's part was Sturt, yes?

"I think he wants more."

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2022, 12:17:59 PM »
I was always under the impression that this ol' Frankenstein lookin motherfucker in Rowley's part was Sturt, yes?

"I think he wants more."

Correct, rocking that Hasselblad shirt.

Irvine-Sucks.com