Author Topic: Koston on the Chrome Ball Incident  (Read 14749 times)

andocom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
Re: Koston on the Chrome Ball Incident
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »
My read of it was he was referring to Podium not Mike & Rick as the dodgy partners, and putting MJ on blast was regrettable, not because it was untrue but more the public nature of it and MJ's "fragile" nature.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »
this made me rewatch his Epicly Later'd, as it overlaps a lot of this....and then I saw that series came out in 2012! 5 years already fool!??

I really wish they started doing it again.....

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 08:56:20 AM »
oh and well.....Artichoke mentioned it, this sums it up, really. it's in part 6.
Gonna rewatch the Chocolate episodes now..........

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:29:39 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 09:28:53 AM »
^^^^Yup, that is literally the moment that I was thinking of when they talk about Lakai and Podium.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

actuality

• Rep: -3
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 09:37:52 AM »
Koston dresses like a pro golfer and has a shoe with a built in bootie. His career is like the Alien franchise, the old stuff was great, everything after that until today, not so much. News breaking I know.

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »
Koston dresses like a pro golfer and has a shoe with a built in bootie. His career is like the Alien franchise, the old stuff was great, everything after that until today, not so much. News breaking I know.

no. his skating is still great. dude is 40 years old and can't nollie heel noseslide Wilshire anymore. you have to adapt at that age.

bo golden

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »

no respect.  probably likes Revive also.

poster

• Rep: 14
  • tomatoes rule!
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 10:44:33 AM »
Danny pulls out this giant Motorola brick
:o

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hahaha.

Gentleman ninja warlock

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 11:35:55 AM »
I think it was shetlers podcast where Gavin says that the others in podium weren't that great....

The vibe I get was that the owners of podium weren't great and it left everyone wondering what was up...
Pretty sure it was some surfers who the dispute with Podium was over. That was who Gavin's original partners were.

As for what happened with Girl, something clearly happened, but I'm not sure if anyone really got fucked over. It seems more of a situation where people are struggling to hold something togeather and it led to pros at the end of their careers getting significant pay cuts.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »
I wonder why he left Indy.

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2017, 03:01:15 PM »
I wonder why he left Indy.

good question!

calvinsdream

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

no. his skating is still great. dude is 40 years old and can't nollie heel noseslide Wilshire anymore. you have to adapt at that age.

Are you really going to act like his chronicles 3 part was worth a rewatch? come on

Koston's career is never going to be constantly great regardless of his well earned legend status.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2017, 06:00:21 PM »
He just suffers in that people just cared about what he did..not who he was....where as someone like Reynolds...people are stoked who he is..and he's still maybe 75% the skater he was.....JT...people still wanna see that guy.....

The way skate media is now though as much as he's wired that way...you don't have to put out a part....he can just tour...sneak in tricks dork around at demos and I think people are still stoked...flat out video part may be difficult though...

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2017, 12:15:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[/quote]

Are you really going to act like his chronicles 3 part was worth a rewatch? come on

Koston's career is never going to be constantly great regardless of his well earned legend status.
[close]

yes it was. Just rewatched it. Maybe my only complaint is I'd like to see him skate tranny a bit.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2017, 01:07:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Hahaha.

ahahahaaaaa

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2017, 07:19:07 AM »
He just suffers in that people just cared about what he did..not who he was....where as someone like Reynolds...people are stoked who he is..and he's still maybe 75% the skater he was.....JT...people still wanna see that guy.....

The way skate media is now though as much as he's wired that way...you don't have to put out a part....he can just tour...sneak in tricks dork around at demos and I think people are still stoked...flat out video part may be difficult though...

It's just kind of insane how quickly his fall from grace was. His stuff in Pretty Sweet was sick, his stuff in Cherry was sick, a lot of the ads leading up to Chronicles 3 were sick, then that part comes out and it seems like when you're working with dude who literally does the bare minimum and nothing more and it's kind of sad.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2017, 07:19:27 AM »
Dont @ me.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

r.g.

• Rep: 2
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2017, 07:24:20 AM »
Expand Quote
good read.
I still can't believe him and Guy quit Girl. It's like your favorite band breaking up.

sooooooooooo......it seems he's kinda siding with MJ over Carroll??

[close]

So is it safe to assume that Mike Carroll is a kook? Kind a sad to see MC shitting over crailtaps legacy over money...

Feels like MC became Rocco, just without the wads of cash

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 08:12:00 AM »
they covered a lot of stuff but it felt very surface level to me.   i don't think its either parties fault but there seems to be this weird underlying assumption that everyone knows a lot of the history behind all the references.  which is odd becasue its safe money to bet their two perceptions  are completely different.  i know a lot of it has been covered but it would be nice if there were more citation to where it was covered (i will add that chrome ball is light years ahead of most outlets when it comes to giving link citation and do deserve credit for it) or if they just "i know its been covered but in your own words, and where you are now can you please explain what happened with X to me." 

overall it is a top-notch interview.  i love long form interviews/articles and chrome ball is  top tier when it comes to them.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 09:43:21 AM »
still trying to wrap my head around how he got on top of that back nose blunt
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

ManMelt

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »
Expand Quote
good read.
I still can't believe him and Guy quit Girl. It's like your favorite band breaking up.

[close]

So is it safe to assume that Mike Carroll is a kook? Kind a sad to see MC shitting over crailtaps legacy over money...

Carroll is no kook. Koston didn't quit Lakai unexpectedly, just as his new model was due to be released, leaving the company with a huge inventory of shoes. MJ did. I agree that Carroll shouldn't have brought the heat so publicly, but he's light years away from kook status.

asakusa75

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2017, 11:34:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
good read.

[close]

[close]

Carroll is no kook. Koston didn't quit Lakai unexpectedly, just as his new model was due to be released, leaving the company with a huge inventory of shoes. MJ did. I agree that Carroll shouldn't have brought the heat so publicly, but he's light years away from kook status.

Amen.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2017, 06:52:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[/quote]

[close]

yes it was. Just rewatched it. Maybe my only complaint is I'd like to see him skate tranny a bit.
[close]
A part that was all dork tricks/weird tranny mini ramp stuff from Koston would be absolutely incredible.

calvinsdream

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2017, 08:21:02 AM »
Koston the last five years is just Willie Lane from King of the Hill, minus the boozing.

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2017, 09:39:41 AM »
I thought Koston more than justified his place with that Chronicles part.

With regards to the social media stuff, how he described it exactly how I imagined. He is just a total shit talker and without context those remarks can look pretty brutal but we all say worse stuff to our friends all the time. Shittalking is one of the best parts of skateboarding!

Jonny Utah

• Rep: -32
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2017, 10:50:14 AM »
What was the beef between Frosty and Alex (I'm assuming Olsen), was it Instagram shit talking?

calvinsdream

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »
What was the beef between Frosty and Alex (I'm assuming Olsen), was it Instagram shit talking?

More or less. Olson said something bad about the berrics so Koston had to get on his soapbox and berate him for awhile.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2017, 12:10:41 PM »

number 9...
http://www.monsterchildren.com/37027/from-the-mag-hate-with-alex-olson/
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Plop

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2017, 12:20:08 PM »
It was also a tweet or something from way earlier, something along the lines of, "who actually goes to the berrics to search for videos"