Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171680 times)

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #1950 on: August 09, 2023, 10:25:41 AM »
Couple new Vans models:
Dennis Enarson BMX slip-on wafflecup https://www.vans.com/en-us/shoes-c00081/bmx-slip-on-shoe-x-dennis-enarson-shoe-pvn0005v1bmv  (there's also a white canvas BMX Sk8-hi wafflecup at the same link, but I'm always skeptical of the jazz stripe on those. Looks like leather in the close-ups)

And the Quasi gym shoe

SlapTM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #1951 on: August 10, 2023, 11:21:49 AM »
Michael Sieben collection just dropped featuring a vegan Omen Hi and Wino Slip.

https://emerica.com/collections/michael-sieben

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1952 on: August 10, 2023, 05:28:40 PM »
Nice
Cocteau Twins

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1953 on: August 10, 2023, 11:21:41 PM »

Very funny. Who was the stunt double?

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #1954 on: August 10, 2023, 11:34:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Very funny. Who was the stunt double?
David Langston

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1955 on: August 18, 2023, 08:10:53 AM »
Anybody familiar with these? 
https://www.wheeepe.com

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1956 on: August 19, 2023, 04:13:54 AM »

doesn't look too bad! but the outsole is already flat in some spaces? that's weird.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1957 on: August 19, 2023, 04:22:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

doesn't look too bad! but the outsole is already flat in some spaces? that's weird.
A few brands have done the grip design kinda similar before. I think the idea is just to put more rubber in the high wear areas

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #1958 on: August 19, 2023, 09:05:54 AM »
Those look really nice. If you wanted to unstitch the side logo, you could have an updated Airwalk One
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

hayduke lives

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1959 on: August 25, 2023, 08:18:54 AM »
https://surfshacksouth.com/products/emerica-ksl-vegan-g6-kevin-spank-long-black-white-gold

i can't vouch for this shop but, seems they still have some vegan ksl if anyone is looking.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1960 on: August 28, 2023, 10:55:45 AM »
whoa, this is a big one. Vegan Samba ADV collab between Orchard and New End Revolution. Releasing on Sept 1st by Orchard, Sept 2nd on adidas.com, and looks like other skate shops are getting them in too (saw them on 561's insta)

"The vegan Samba ADV is made from animal friendly synthetic suede and leather, and the longsleeve jersey is made from 100% recycled polyester.  Both have tonal navy stripes, and subtle pops of red tie things together with scarlet heel pull tabs and raglan piping.  A perforated tongue adds a unique design element while improving breathability, and a transparent navy outsole provides a modern touch on this timeless design."
https://orchardshop.com/blogs/news/orchard-x-adidas-x-new-england-revolution

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1961 on: August 28, 2023, 10:56:59 AM »
Been skating the NB# black vegan 440s and I really like them. Seems to be the same synth suede that vegan Es accel OGs are made out of.

The black/gum accels were the most durable shoes I've skated in probably my entire skate life (though I did superglue the seams/stitches after the first session), so I'm very on board for more shoes being that material.

So far the 440s feel amazing out of the box (the top of the shoe under like, the laces has thin foam padding instead of just a layer of vegan suede and it's so comfy), great board feel. The toe cap stitching in my ollie and kickflip areas are toast after 3 sessions so I'll likely need to shoegoo or superglue them, but that's to be expected. Overall, not bad at all. I did use black nail polish to black out all the bright white accents though...hah.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1962 on: August 28, 2023, 04:29:04 PM »
whoa, this is a big one. Vegan Samba ADV collab between Orchard and New End Revolution. Releasing on Sept 1st by Orchard, Sept 2nd on adidas.com, and looks like other skate shops are getting them in too (saw them on 561's insta)

"The vegan Samba ADV is made from animal friendly synthetic suede and leather, and the longsleeve jersey is made from 100% recycled polyester.  Both have tonal navy stripes, and subtle pops of red tie things together with scarlet heel pull tabs and raglan piping.  A perforated tongue adds a unique design element while improving breathability, and a transparent navy outsole provides a modern touch on this timeless design."
oh wow! Hope the quality is up there

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #1963 on: August 28, 2023, 05:01:25 PM »

Orchard stays winning

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #1964 on: August 29, 2023, 04:52:58 AM »
Been skating the NB# black vegan 440s and I really like them. Seems to be the same synth suede that vegan Es accel OGs are made out of.

The black/gum accels were the most durable shoes I've skated in probably my entire skate life (though I did superglue the seams/stitches after the first session), so I'm very on board for more shoes being that material.

So far the 440s feel amazing out of the box (the top of the shoe under like, the laces has thin foam padding instead of just a layer of vegan suede and it's so comfy), great board feel. The toe cap stitching in my ollie and kickflip areas are toast after 3 sessions so I'll likely need to shoegoo or superglue them, but that's to be expected. Overall, not bad at all. I did use black nail polish to black out all the bright white accents though...hah.

In all honesty, that fake suede (I think it's a type of felt?) is pretty decent.

My accels just kept going until the bottoms were just too slippery to skate with.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

herecomesaregular

« Reply #1965 on: August 29, 2023, 06:11:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In all honesty, that fake suede (I think it's a type of felt?) is pretty decent.

My accels just kept going until the bottoms were just too slippery to skate with.

Yup, I had the exact same experience. The first thing to go was the insole (got squished in like 2 weeks so I swapped in a vans pro one), and then the outsole was completely smooth by the time I retired them. The "suede" never wore through. And I'm a heavy flicker so my shoes take a lot of griptape damage usually.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1966 on: September 07, 2023, 10:52:23 AM »
The Orchard Sambas are 9 for me, which is the same size as NB #420 and #440. They have less padding and are a bit snugger width-wise compared to the #440. Vans Slip On Pro, DCs, and running shoes are 9.5 for me.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1967 on: September 07, 2023, 02:52:45 PM »
The Orchard Sambas are 9 for me, which is the same size as NB #420 and #440. They have less padding and are a bit snugger width-wise compared to the #440. Vans Slip On Pro, DCs, and running shoes are 9.5 for me.
feel like I’d need to half size up …

Fakie Manuel

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1968 on: September 07, 2023, 11:59:41 PM »
What shoes are y'all skating in right now? What are you hyped on? I've been riding the eS Caspians for the past couple weeks. I think they are pretty mediocre.

What's the word on the 440s? Are they any good for skating?

I'm on the fence about trying the Etnies Marana Michelin.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1969 on: September 08, 2023, 01:16:50 AM »
What shoes are y'all skating in right now? What are you hyped on? I've been riding the eS Caspians for the past couple weeks. I think they are pretty mediocre.

still rocking Emerica KSLs, probs my fav vegan cup since the #NB 420.
Defs half size up on the joslins/ marana, even then it still feels small. 440 also feels like I need to 0.5 size up even though my toes aren’t super cramped. Wanna try the vegan figgy when it drops but I don’t fuck with the color red so… I’m kinda in limbo…
@kneebone let me know how they adidas fit, although again I think it’s too much red for me 😓
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 09:13:37 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1970 on: September 08, 2023, 05:32:04 AM »
I'm still alternating between the hemp halfcab VR3s and the black denim One Star Pros. Was able to stockpile a couple of each during recent sales. Also have the Orchard Sambas arriving tomorrow ;D
So I took the plunge on the Vault hemp Half Cabs and I'm really glad that I did. Extremely reminiscent of the Syndicate hemp ones from a while ago. These have a thick, removable VR3 insole so the sizing is very similar to any of the Skate line (typically Vault sizing is a little different and I go a size up, but for these I went TTS, glad I did). I was also able to remove the tongue zipper pretty easily. Also replaced the stock round laces with some spare ones from LRAB which worked out perfectly because they match the off-white lining and outsole

Converse has some new One Stars where it looks like they actually didn't fuck it up with nonfunctional leather/suede (there are all "pro" models, so they're in the skate-specific line)  :
Denim ones available in blue or black https://www.converse.com/shop/p/one-star-pro-denim-skate-shoe/A04149MP.html?pid=A04149MP&dwvar_A04149MP_color=midnight%20navy%2Fmidnight%20navy&dwvar_A04148C_width=standard&styleNo=A04149C&pdp=true&cgid=skate-performance-shoes&vgid=A04148C

herecomesaregular

« Reply #1971 on: September 08, 2023, 03:42:14 PM »

I’ve loved the 440s so far. Very durable aside from the toe cap stitching. Board feel rules. Fit well. I wear a 10 in canvas LRAB and 10 in the vegan 440 is ALMOST too small but that’s how I like shoes I skate to fit.

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1972 on: September 15, 2023, 08:54:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
feel like I’d need to half size up …
I’ve been wearing the sambas a couple days, they are snug, but not unacceptably tight. You would probably be fine going a half size up if you want a little extra toe room. I’m not sure if I’ll skate them or not. They are very thin and I’m not sure how well they’ll hold up or how my feet will hold up in them. They seem like great everyday shoes though.
No.

Lepanto

« Reply #1973 on: September 15, 2023, 12:26:00 PM »
Anything that contails the word "vegan" sux, sorry

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1974 on: September 15, 2023, 02:24:37 PM »
Killing animals sucks more than the taste of vegan cheese.

I’ve been getting bad heel slip in the Orchard Sambas even when fully laced, so I can’t see myself going up half a size.

I got a pair of the AA Authentic High today, so the Sambas are going to be chillers. The last pair of Vans I had were the synthetic Lizzie shoes in 9, which had a little extra toe room. The 9s in the Authentic High has “Cinderella fit.” No extra toe room but it doesn’t compress the toes. I can’t wait to skate these. As much as I hate the hassle of lacing and relacing mids/highs, I hate heel slip so much more.

The Spanky Hi better have at least one vegan colorway.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1975 on: September 16, 2023, 01:07:49 AM »
woah bro, so edgy! Do you actually have anything to discuss, or are you just popping into the vegan thread to give your unwarranted “opinion”?

sebbo

« Reply #1976 on: September 16, 2023, 07:16:55 AM »

Does anybody know if the swoosh is real leather or not on this one?
I asked in the shop. There is a sticker label inside the shoe that says that it is synthetic but I wanted to get a second opinion.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1977 on: September 16, 2023, 07:54:19 AM »

I asked in the shop. There is a sticker label inside the shoe that says that it is synthetic but I wanted to get a second opinion.
I’m 99.9% sure it is real leather. I remember closely inspecting those when they were on the Nike site because I’ve always wanted to try the GT blazers but they’ve never released a leather-free version
Edit: some high-quality zoom pics here where you can tell from the texture on the edges of the swoosh that it appears to be real leather https://www.sneakerdistrict.com/nike-blazer-low-pro-gt-premium-black-safety-orange-black-photon-dust/

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1978 on: September 16, 2023, 08:08:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
still rocking Emerica KSLs, probs my fav vegan cup since the #NB 420.
Defs half size up on the joslins/ marana, even then it still feels small. 440 also feels like I need to 0.5 size up even though my toes aren’t super cramped. Wanna try the vegan figgy when it drops but I don’t fuck with the color red so… I’m kinda in limbo…
@kneebone let me know how they adidas fit, although again I think it’s too much red for me 😓
Finally just got my adidas order yesterday. I waited for the release on the adidas website with the hopes that they would have a 12.5 and my hunch was correct (all of the skate shops have had only 12s and 13s). The fit and overall build is identical to the general-release vegan sambas, except the insole is slightly upgraded. It’s still paper thin but has a bit more mold to it, with an arch and a cup around the heel (i’ll update with photos later today). Don’t think you could put any thicker insole in because the toe box is so shallow. Still stoked on these because Sambas are my favorite sneaker, but I doubt I’ll be skating in them

sebbo

« Reply #1979 on: September 16, 2023, 08:16:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I’m 99.9% sure it is real leather. I remember closely inspecting those when they were on the Nike site because I’ve always wanted to try the GT blazers but they’ve never released a leather-free version
Edit: some high-quality zoom pics here where you can tell from the texture on the edges of the swoosh that it appears to be real leather https://www.sneakerdistrict.com/nike-blazer-low-pro-gt-premium-black-safety-orange-black-photon-dust/

Thank you for the input! Glad I held back buying them. Guess I am getting another pair of the doyenne. Really liking it.