Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 463800 times)

goeatsomefriedbread

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 268
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #4350 on: April 19, 2021, 04:57:34 AM »
I think the real question on everyone's mind is how will the Champion's League theme music be affected

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #4351 on: April 19, 2021, 07:05:09 AM »
So the war has been declared. How do we feel about it?

I'm sort of inclined to say football is ruined by Big Money already, anyway. Let JP Morgan have it. The 2035 Super League Final can be between The LA Gunners vs The Hongkong Hotspurs. Maybe the national leagues return to semi-pro status, with teams made up of local heroes like in the old days. But I'm probably romanticizing.

This sums it up neatly. I absolutely hate the idea of a so-called Super League. If it wasn't so serious, you'd think it'd be a big joke. This goes against the very core that sports is about: Free competition and fair play. To be clear, yes, football's a business and yes, money's a big part of it, but this goes way too far.

I sympathize with your idea, and while a part of me thinks that it's not feasible, the other part thinks "well, how much worse can things really get?" Let them have their bullshit league, but let's make it as ugly as possible. I think Gary Neville has a good point and it's uplifting to see a pundit and former player on Sky Sports (of all channels) reject the Super League so vehemently (even if it won't amount to anything in the end).

Two observations: 1) Why are Arsenal and Tottenham part of something that has "super" in its name? 2) You know you really fucked up if UEFA and FIFA claim the moral high ground.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #4352 on: April 19, 2021, 07:19:16 AM »
Expand Quote

I'm sort of inclined to say football is ruined by Big Money already, anyway. Let JP Morgan have it. The 2035 Super League Final can be between The LA Gunners vs The Hongkong Hotspurs. Maybe the national leagues return to semi-pro status, with teams made up of local heroes like in the old days. But I'm probably romanticizing.
[close]

This sums it up neatly. I absolutely hate the idea of a so-called Super League. If it wasn't so serious, you'd think it'd be a big joke. This goes against the very core that sports is about: Free competition and fair play. To be clear, yes, football's a business and yes, money's a big part of it, but this goes way too far.

I sympathize with your idea, and while a part of me thinks that it's not feasible, the other part thinks "well, how much worse can things really get?" Let them have their bullshit league, but let's make it as ugly as possible. I think Gary Neville has a good point and it's uplifting to see a pundit and former player on Sky Sports (of all channels) reject the Super League so vehemently (even if it won't amount to anything in the end).

Two observations: 1) Why are Arsenal and Tottenham part of something that has "super" in its name? 2) You know you really fucked up if UEFA and FIFA claim the moral high ground.

I think “super” is relative to the size of their international fan base

« Reply #4353 on: April 19, 2021, 08:09:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Right, but even if true, that's a pretty weird point to be made, isn't it?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2552
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4354 on: April 19, 2021, 09:24:33 AM »

Let's be honest, the war was declared when they let in non-champions play the CL. This is only its logical conclusion.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #4355 on: April 19, 2021, 11:21:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Right, but even if true, that's a pretty weird point to be made, isn't it?

Perhaps also relative to the wealth/influence of their owners?

Expand Quote

[close]

Let's be honest, the war was declared when they let in non-champions play the CL. This is only its logical conclusion.

Not sure I follow. Do you mean that's what attracted new kinds of owners, profligate spending and dubious bookkeeping?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #4356 on: April 19, 2021, 11:34:51 AM »
I'm speaking more generally, in that it was a decision based on greed, and that this initial impulse could only end with the richest clubs wanting more and more until they decided that they can make their own rules. The things you've listed are just a byproduct of this process.

excitableboy

« Reply #4357 on: April 19, 2021, 12:23:02 PM »
I'm speaking more generally, in that it was a decision based on greed, and that this initial impulse could only end with the richest clubs wanting more and more until they decided that they can make their own rules. The things you've listed are just a byproduct of this process.

Splitting hairs but opening up the CL isn't what did it necessarily. It's welcoming mountains of dubious money which they could have safeguarded against. National leagues do as well. But agreed, it's greed backfiring. I first read about this Super League at least five years ago, funny to watch Uefa squirm and pretend they're blindsided by this.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #4358 on: April 19, 2021, 03:16:18 PM »
Imho, expanding CL could have had only one outcome. Not sure what could have been different since expanding profit margins was the whole point of the revamped competition. They were never going to self regulate in an effective way.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #4359 on: April 19, 2021, 04:51:17 PM »
It's the audicty of it and the tone deaf timing of it all - middle of seasons, Champions League down to the final 4 and they drop this - that gets me. They're basically saying "we're rich, will pick who we want to play against and will invite a few others at our leisure" even though the English clubs are signatories to a rule that states they can't play in any competitions that aren't listed (Carabao, FA etc) and agreed upon.
Then they couldnt even release it properly due to the need for secrecy - so you end up having people like Klopp and Milner saying "we don't agree to it - hope it doesnt happen" the day after it's announced. A shambles. But sides will lawyer up and this will get even uglier. Hell the Uefa president is the godfather of one of the breakaway teams presidents kids and called him a "greedy lying snake".
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4360 on: April 19, 2021, 10:03:34 PM »
Deathly afraid of Klopp leaving for Bayern Munich

excitableboy

« Reply #4361 on: April 20, 2021, 01:37:41 AM »

Edit:
He just about scoffs at Uefa's threats of excluding players. He's also suggested Uefa officials better stop offending people like him and Agnelli (Juve/Fiat/Super League VP). They seem pretty sure of themselves. Is there any merit to this 'saving football' narrative or is it as bogus as it sounds?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:51:20 AM by excitableboy »

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #4362 on: April 20, 2021, 02:07:47 AM »
Shits gonna crash and burn you fucken watch
Sickening display of ego
listen to cosmic psychos

« Reply #4363 on: April 20, 2021, 04:39:56 AM »

Edit:
He just about scoffs at Uefa's threats of excluding players. He's also suggested Uefa officials better stop offending people like him and Agnelli (Juve/Fiat/Super League VP). They seem pretty sure of themselves. Is there any merit to this 'saving football' narrative or is it as bogus as it sounds?

As far as I can see, it is as bogus as it sounds. Sure, all football clubs have been hit hard by the pandemic. Player's salaries went through the roof and clubs have trouble paying them. Barcelona is allegedly at the brink of bankruptcy. But, first of all, that's their own doing. Barcelona has been spending more than they could for years. BUT that's only one side of the coin. The other one is clubs such as City, United, Chelsea owned by billionaires, states and conglomerates of businessmen. They're the last clubs who need money to survive, because their owners are super rich. They only want money to satisfy their owner's greed.

Secondly, they're not "saving football" at all, because their selfish decision will have dire consequences for all national clubs that aren't at "Super Leage level". That's what the backlash is all about. They're not saving football, they're only saving their own sorry asses. It's not like they've talked about giving that money back to the national leagues and amateur clubs. They want to turn a profit and UEFA and national leagues are in their way.

By the way, Real Madrid and FC Barcelona have both received unlawful, extremely favourable loans from the Spanish state. But Perez doesn't mention this, because it doesn't match his ridiculous "saving football" narrative.

https://www.sports.legal/2019/03/public-funding-of-spanish-professional-football-clubs-a-game-worth-playing/

excitableboy

« Reply #4364 on: April 20, 2021, 05:07:17 AM »
Expand Quote

Edit:
[close]

As far as I can see, it is as bogus as it sounds. Sure, all football clubs have been hit hard by the pandemic. Player's salaries went through the roof and clubs have trouble paying them. Barcelona is allegedly at the brink of bankruptcy. But, first of all, that's their own doing. Barcelona has been spending more than they could for years. BUT that's only one side of the coin. The other one is clubs such as City, United, Chelsea owned by billionaires, states and conglomerates of businessmen. They're the last clubs who need money to survive, because their owners are super rich. They only want money to satisfy their owner's greed.

Secondly, they're not "saving football" at all, because their selfish decision will have dire consequences for all national clubs that aren't at "Super Leage level". That's what the backlash is all about. They're not saving football, they're only saving their own sorry asses. It's not like they've talked about giving that money back to the national leagues and amateur clubs. They want to turn a profit and UEFA and national leagues are in their way.

By the way, Real Madrid and FC Barcelona have both received unlawful, extremely favourable loans from the Spanish state. But Perez doesn't mention this, because it doesn't match his ridiculous "saving football" narrative.

https://www.sports.legal/2019/03/public-funding-of-spanish-professional-football-clubs-a-game-worth-playing/

That's more or less what I thought, too. The pandemic definitely has nothing to do with it, unless we're to entertain ludicrous conspiracies. This ESL has been long in the making. Looking at the top 5 in EPL right now it's blatantly obvious what their play is.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #4365 on: April 20, 2021, 06:16:37 AM »
all i can think about is how much he looks like droopy

excitableboy

« Reply #4366 on: April 20, 2021, 12:44:03 PM »
Chelsea and City already withdrawing. Looks like this thing will be nipped in the bud.

Sort of depressing to see greed reined in this effectively only when it concerns something of no real consequence, like football.

« Reply #4367 on: April 20, 2021, 01:52:00 PM »
Chelsea and City already withdrawing. Looks like this thing will be nipped in the bud.

Sort of depressing to see greed reined in this effectively only when it concerns something of no real consequence, like football.

Yeah, looks like it all dies on the vine. As much as I'm a little relieved by the swift reaction to this bogus, I can't help but think that it's a bit hypocritical that they drew the red line right there. So giving the World Cup to an autocratic regime was okay? It's fine that oil states and oligarchs own some of the world's best clubs? How about a corporation like Red Bull bending the rules in its favor and establishing satellite clubs in more and more leagues around the world? If coaches and players are so concerned about the fans, why the outcry now and not earlier? I guess the obvious answer is money. Many of these people benefit from global players pumping dirty money into the system.

excitableboy

« Reply #4368 on: April 20, 2021, 02:29:04 PM »
Not to defend Fifa here but if they were to curb those companies and regimes they would be alone in doing so. If buying and consuming their oil is legitimate, then so are they. Complicity is ubiquitous, that's what I was getting at.

And it is true that a club like City has been hindered in spending whatever they want. They could buy Messi and Haaland for next season. Easily. Put Ronaldo on goal for the hell of it. At least Fifa put a stop to that. Though they did line their pockets in handing Qatar the WC and have shown time and again they're not to be trusted with the beautiful game either.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:33:07 PM by excitableboy »

excitableboy

« Reply #4369 on: April 23, 2021, 04:34:10 AM »

So this was dumb. ESL still very much on the table it seems. Its president is now purporting to be open to meritocracy. The fans' uprising seems to have made no difference. Ceferin is loosening FFP to allow the big clubs to spend more, doing away with break-even rules. That's what turned it. This would take away the need for an ESL and give the rich clubs exactly what ESL promised.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4370 on: May 18, 2021, 12:15:29 AM »
If anybody wants to watch a short doc on how 2 Romanian dudes started an ultras group in the U.S, check this out.

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -347
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #4371 on: August 08, 2021, 07:34:53 PM »
let’s all laugh at barcelona. sucks for messi but barca deserves every bad thing that happens to them.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4372 on: October 20, 2021, 06:46:26 AM »
damn brits...I lost my faith in humanity a little after seeing what happend in newcastle....

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #4373 on: April 15, 2022, 08:58:31 AM »
Massive Liverpool fan here, tomorrow FA cup semis against MC is gonna be huge!
Sunday will be at the LAFC game here in Los Angeles.
ok thanks

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #4374 on: April 15, 2022, 09:30:28 AM »
I'm a huge Bohemians fan, I used to see the flood lights from my house and later appartement. I moved away but still try to follow but the league of Ireland is hard to find streams for.
West Ham did well last night I should have gone to the match.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #4375 on: April 15, 2022, 02:15:34 PM »
I'm a huge Bohemians fan, I used to see the flood lights from my house and later appartement. I moved away but still try to follow but the league of Ireland is hard to find streams for.
West Ham did well last night I should have gone to the match.

So happy about my team Eintracht Frankfurt beating Barca on their home turf in the Euro League last night! Eintracht fans somehow managed to buy tens of thousands of Barca’s home tickets and made it almost like a home match. Looking forward to the semis against West Ham!

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4376 on: April 15, 2022, 04:38:45 PM »
That was great. I"m looking forward to watching it.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #4377 on: April 15, 2022, 04:41:02 PM »
Europa League, the best European club competition.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #4378 on: April 20, 2022, 12:48:09 PM »
I've got a real soft spot for Brighton, and it helps they're playing Man City. I think Cuccarella is one of the most fun players to watch right now.

Also, the clubs I support:
Liverpool
Montpellier
LAFC
France
USMNT
ok thanks

Síota

• SLAP Pal