Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 462511 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #4530 on: August 14, 2022, 06:23:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
When will Man U run out of funds to try and create a winning team? They can't keep fucking up forever.
[close]

https://theathletic.com/3379697/2022/06/24/manchester-united-revenue-loss/
[close]

Unfortunately paywalled
[close]
I could read it on a desktop.
Not much in it that can’t be googled.
Basically ManU is still a money making machine, but sponsor deals are rapidly declining and there’s no end product for recent investments.
Just illustrates the fact the club is poorly run with no clear strategy to turn things around.

Question is - who wins the league first?  arsenal, Tottenham, or Man U?

Not taking the piss with Tottenham.  Am aware of their reputation and history. 

Owen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4531 on: August 16, 2022, 04:17:03 AM »
*sigh* pretty disappointing start to the season for Liverpool. I thought we played reasonably well against Palace but just couldn't get it together to actually win the match.

Diaz's goal was incredible. Really happy to see him score when it mattered. Harvey Elliot played well too.

What did people think of Darwin Nunez's red card? Seemed a bit harsh to me and more of a chest bump than head butt.

I could tell as soon as Palace came out in the second half that they were going to play dirty and frustrate the hell out of us doing annoying niggling stuff etc so we played poorer. Kinda worked in a way I guess

Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4532 on: August 16, 2022, 05:05:53 AM »
*sigh* pretty disappointing start to the season for Liverpool. I thought we played reasonably well against Palace but just couldn't get it together to actually win the match.

Diaz's goal was incredible. Really happy to see him score when it mattered. Harvey Elliot played well too.

What did people think of Darwin Nunez's red card? Seemed a bit harsh to me and more of a chest bump than head butt.

I could tell as soon as Palace came out in the second half that they were going to play dirty and frustrate the hell out of us doing annoying niggling stuff etc so we played poorer. Kinda worked in a way I guess

After last season, I knew there would be a hangover.   Didn’t the season after the first CL start get off to a rocky start as well?

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #4533 on: August 16, 2022, 08:04:15 AM »

It’s a straight red, ref did the right thing. You can’t do that even if the defender milked everything out of it.

Referee decisions in the London derby though…. whooosh.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #4534 on: August 16, 2022, 08:04:58 AM »
I think the four points dropped by Liverpool is gonna hurt then at the end of the season. That red card was stupid if your gonna react might as well throw a punch. My fantasy team sucked this weekend.

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4535 on: August 16, 2022, 08:11:39 AM »
Maybe, I think someone else will take 2nd this year.
Their midfield needs strenghtening, and VVD post knee op doesn’t seem to be the same.
Two best wingers in the country won’t carry them very far this season, imho.

City look sharp but have not been tested yet

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #4536 on: August 16, 2022, 05:06:31 PM »
Not a Liverpool fan but the wife is Uruguayan...so of course driving home while that game was on I got soooo many texts along the lines of "your boy just got a crazy red - wtf?!?". But yes, definitely a red no matter the 6'4" CB sold it with the "straight leg - fall like a chopped tree" improv. Nunez can't be doing that...especially as they play ManUtd next who've been a shambles defensively so he could have really had a game to build on.

How the hair pull in the Chelsea/Spurs game didn't warrant anything is beyond me. A wee bit hypocritical however of Tuchel to pull the "didn't look me in the eyes" bit when hes done the same to Sean Dyche before. Again a fan of neither squad so my outsider view.

MLS wise Insigne and Berna for TFC are not only are playing well but making room for others likes Osorio (who had looked run down) to exploit - just worried the early/mid season funk has them too far back.

In closing my team won the first game of our over40 Sunday league round Robin playoffs...so can't complain too much right now. Skating wise is a whole different story though.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4537 on: August 19, 2022, 05:49:36 AM »
Looking forward to this weekends round of matchs, weather is poxy here but after endless weeks of 40 degrees a bit of rain is nice and its a good excuse to go to the pub for the footy. Monday night looks to be the big fixture of the weekend thou.

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4538 on: August 20, 2022, 01:36:02 AM »
Casemiro is a proper signing from ManU.
Won’t solve all their problems, but a very good start.

nonickname

« Reply #4539 on: August 20, 2022, 08:02:20 PM »
My mind is blown. I primarily watch Premier League and MLS and as with most people complain about the refs...well NO MORE! Just watched some SPL with a Scottish teammate. Horrific calls being made, clear penalties not given, dangerous play rewarded like it's some 70s grudge match - just a gongshow of the highest level with no VAR so then the supposedly neutral commentary launches into hyperbole. Was like watching a documentary from another time.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4540 on: August 21, 2022, 07:53:56 AM »
Leeds. God watch a match that was.
Yeah @nonickname the standard of ref's in the SPL is horrible it's been like that for ages.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4541 on: August 21, 2022, 01:29:31 PM »
Man city drawing at Newcastle

I think we might be heading to an unconventional title winner this season like the year Leicester/Tottenham were 1st and 2nd, especially considering the mid-season WC interruption (for the big clubs).   

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4542 on: August 22, 2022, 12:04:48 AM »

I think we might be heading to an unconventional title winner this season like the year Leicester/Tottenham were 1st and 2nd, especially considering the mid-season WC interruption (for the big clubs).   
I still think City will be clear winners again. Arsenal are doing great but have a pretty thin squad, Liverpools midfield is weak, Tottenham will do Tottenham things, Chelsea won’t win anything if they rely on Sterling for goals.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4543 on: August 22, 2022, 12:18:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I still think City will be clear winners again. Arsenal are doing great but have a pretty thin squad, Liverpools midfield is weak, Tottenham will do Tottenham things, Chelsea won’t win anything if they rely on Sterling for goals.

Spurs under Conte haven’t been too spursy as I remember, plus they’ve beefed up the squad.   I’m curious to see how both North London clubs pan out.   

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4544 on: August 22, 2022, 03:05:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Spurs under Conte haven’t been too spursy as I remember, plus they’ve beefed up the squad.   I’m curious to see how both North London clubs pan out.
That’s true, but they do have the added strain of CL.
We’ll see, there’s plenty of season left to Spurs things up.

nonickname

« Reply #4545 on: August 25, 2022, 04:58:11 PM »
Uefa is sooo predictable. Haaland plays Dortmund. Lewandowski plays Bayern...and if I was a betting man I'd put $20 on the over for 2.5 Rangers stabbed by elegantly dressed hooligans who escape on a Lambretta. Rangers vs one of the most rabid catholic hooligans groups in Europe...should be fun.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4546 on: August 25, 2022, 07:47:28 PM »
A couple of tough groups, but thankfully Liverpool should (on paper) make it through. 

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4547 on: August 26, 2022, 04:20:39 AM »
Some lovely fixtures in them groups. Can't see Celtic getting out of the group stages really wanted PSG just so I could take the train up to Paris to see it. Think all the English sides will make it out of the groups.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4548 on: August 26, 2022, 01:02:14 PM »
Some lovely fixtures in them groups. Can't see Celtic getting out of the group stages really wanted PSG just so I could take the train up to Paris to see it. Think all the English sides will make it out of the groups.

Man City is the wild card there.   Depends what kind of Seville/Dortmund show up.   

The only reason I feel a little ok going up against Ajax and Napoli is that I think they’ve been drained of their best resources of late

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4549 on: August 27, 2022, 07:36:20 AM »
Liverpool might hit double digits at this rate

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4550 on: August 31, 2022, 01:48:20 PM »
Haaland what a steal..that's 6 in the last two matches

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4551 on: August 31, 2022, 02:01:58 PM »
Gonna have to buy him, which means selling Salah. Ugh
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4552 on: August 31, 2022, 07:56:54 PM »
Haaland what a steal..that's 6 in the last two matches

People who were doubting his suitability to the PL were just showing their asses.   He was tailor made for the league and it was obvious for years

Gotta love that the one thing Chelsea needs are attacking options and they keep going after defenders

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4553 on: September 01, 2022, 06:27:22 AM »
I actually meant the 60 million euro City payed for him. That said I had him from the beginning in my fantasy team, I seen enough of him at Borussia Dortmund to know he would fit in the Premier League well. I have him and Salah.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #4554 on: September 01, 2022, 06:29:24 AM »
man u good again lets go

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4555 on: September 01, 2022, 01:44:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I actually meant the 60 million euro City payed for him. That said I had him from the beginning in my fantasy team, I seen enough of him at Borussia Dortmund to know he would fit in the Premier League well. I have him and Salah.

I know, I just felt like like adding my FPL lament, haha. But yeah, 60 mil for him, while Man U paid 100 mil € for Antony. Lol.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4556 on: September 03, 2022, 07:28:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I know, I just felt like like adding my FPL lament, haha. But yeah, 60 mil for him, while Man U paid 100 mil € for Antony. Lol.

Exactly.

Celtic fully dominated that derby was great. Had the Merseyside derby on another telly in the pub I really didn't think Everton had a chance but it easily could have gone either way.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4557 on: September 03, 2022, 11:24:48 AM »
Hate to double post but fuckin hell 7 in 3 matches is insane. Not a fan of city but defo a fan of him.

nonickname

« Reply #4558 on: September 03, 2022, 12:13:57 PM »
Hate to double post but fuckin hell 7 in 3 matches is insane. Not a fan of city but defo a fan of him.

However they're still playing like they don't have him up front. 72% possession and almost 500 more passes than Villa...and don't get the win. Need to modify the Shaun Goater song and feed him!

Ohhh and West Ham got jobbed with that late goal taken away. When a goalie dives at/into someone's feet who does their best to hurdle them (see Stephen Hunt it can be done) a little contact is to be expected - not used as a get out of jail free card.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4559 on: September 03, 2022, 12:59:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

However they're still playing like they don't have him up front. 72% possession and almost 500 more passes than Villa...and don't get the win. Need to modify the Shaun Goater song and feed him!

Ohhh and West Ham got jobbed with that late goal taken away. When a goalie dives at/into someone's feet who does their best to hurdle them (see Stephen Hunt it can be done) a little contact is to be expected - not used as a get out of jail free card.
Fuck that drove me nuts...he did his best to jump over the keeper.. ok yeah his trailing boot hit but there was zero intention var is ruining the game