Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 463574 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #4890 on: May 14, 2023, 04:04:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Glad Notts County did it.

Leeds looked better but way to late Bamford's penalty miss probably cost them the premier league. Hopefully city fields a strong team and wins...sorry Everton fans.
[close]

I respect Vardy for never leaving, but also kind of a bummer he never really got show what he can do at a top club.   I’m guessing he sticks with Leicester even when/if they drop down

Didn't Vardy say "they wanted me when no one else did, do I'd 'never leave them" or something like that? Loyalty is a rare quality these days...

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #4891 on: May 14, 2023, 07:55:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Leeds looked better but way to late Bamford's penalty miss probably cost them the premier league. Hopefully city fields a strong team and wins...sorry Everton fans.
[close]

I respect Vardy for never leaving, but also kind of a bummer he never really got show what he can do at a top club.   I’m guessing he sticks with Leicester even when/if they drop down
[close]

Didn't Vardy say "they wanted me when no one else did, do I'd 'never leave them" or something like that? Loyalty is a rare quality these days...

Yeah he was going to move to Ibiza and become a party promoter.   

badmanganjaspliff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
  • You pies
« Reply #4892 on: May 15, 2023, 04:58:01 AM »

County had me on the edge of my seat the whole 120 minutes they never make it easy for us but Jesus Christ what a game

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #4893 on: May 17, 2023, 02:35:46 PM »
Oh fuck yes

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4894 on: May 18, 2023, 01:18:18 AM »

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4895 on: May 18, 2023, 08:16:26 AM »

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4896 on: May 18, 2023, 08:20:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh fuck yes
[close]

Was a complete mismatch.
[close]
Qualifying for CL final and potentially wining the league at home for both in one week is fucking insane.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4897 on: May 18, 2023, 09:36:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh fuck yes
[close]

Was a complete mismatch.
[close]
[close]
Qualifying for CL final and potentially wining the league at home for both in one week is fucking insane.

the things you can do when you spend nine years breaking financial fair play rules

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4898 on: May 18, 2023, 11:12:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh fuck yes
[close]

Was a complete mismatch.
[close]
[close]
[close]

the things you can do when you spend nine years breaking financial fair play rules

I'm not a fan of city or there blood money but for good pals like @whale that I'm guessing where fans before that take over it's pretty crazy.

Btw my club is 100% fan owned, i just love footy

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4899 on: May 18, 2023, 11:14:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh fuck yes
[close]

Was a complete mismatch.
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

I'm not a fan of city or there blood money but for good pals like @whale that I'm guessing where fans before that take over it's pretty crazy.

Edit: how can you not love this kid lol.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4900 on: May 18, 2023, 12:11:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh fuck yes
[close]

Was a complete mismatch.
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

If whale is a fan from the Thomas Cook/Brother sponsor days, I’ll cut them some slack.   

As a Liverpool fan it’s just annoying to have lost out on 2-3 titles because of their financial juicing - and it isn’t even like Liverpool bottled it those seasons like Arsenal.   Points totals that would have won any other season.   

Siota - you’re a Dortmund supporter?   Must be a fun team to follow

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2556
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4901 on: May 18, 2023, 12:23:57 PM »
I support a club with a shady ownership and I can't really enjoy its success. I can imagine it being even worse for City fans who care about football beyond the trophies.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4902 on: May 18, 2023, 12:58:59 PM »
I support a club with a shady ownership and I can't really enjoy its success. I can imagine it being even worse for City fans who care about football beyond the trophies.

Newcastle?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2556
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4903 on: May 18, 2023, 01:20:32 PM »
lol no. Plus, NUFC haven't had any success yet under new ownership.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4904 on: May 18, 2023, 01:31:51 PM »
lol no. Plus, NUFC haven't had any success yet under new ownership.

Hah sure but they went from nothing to a fairly secure CL spot with sensible moves.

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4905 on: May 18, 2023, 11:49:04 PM »
Sorry boys, I’ve through enough torture on those typical city years that I don’t wan’t any slack.
I want all the salt, all the tears and your everlasting hatred, thank you very much.

Trying to avoid even thinking about the treble.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4906 on: May 19, 2023, 03:32:40 AM »
@Atiba Applebum I'm a Boh's fan. Bohemian FC from Dublin.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4907 on: May 19, 2023, 01:04:16 PM »
Sorry boys, I’ve through enough torture on those typical city years that I don’t wan’t any slack.
I want all the salt, all the tears and your everlasting hatred, thank you very much.

You’re being vague.  Is a typical city year not making the CL finals for you?  Ever spent time at Maine Road?

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4908 on: May 19, 2023, 01:18:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You’re being vague.  Is a typical city year not making the CL finals for you?  Ever spent time at Maine Road?
No, I haven’t had the pleasure. Watched plenty of games played there though.

e: to be honest, for me this whole notion putting down fans that start supporting a team because it’s doing well is bullshit. My dad is a Liverpool supporter because they were the hottest team around when he was young.
Soooo many kids of my generation are Man Utd and Arsenal fans because at the time they were doing well. A lot of Liverpool supporters because the finnish king Litmanen played for them.
And all are still very die hard supporters to this day, even during the shittier years with Arsenal and Liverpool.
You can fall in love to a team for any number of reasons, success is of course big reason.
That love can bring you exuberant joy, or it can bring you heartbreak, but what matters the most is always the love.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:32:05 PM by whale »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4909 on: May 19, 2023, 04:22:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

e: to be honest, for me this whole notion putting down fans that start supporting a team because it’s doing well is bullshit. My dad is a Liverpool supporter because they were the hottest team around when he was young.
Soooo many kids of my generation are Man Utd and Arsenal fans because at the time they were doing well. A lot of Liverpool supporters because the finnish king Litmanen played for them.
And all are still very die hard supporters to this day, even during the shittier years with Arsenal and Liverpool.
You can fall in love to a team for any number of reasons, success is of course big reason.
That love can bring you exuberant joy, or it can bring you heartbreak, but what matters the most is always the love.

Are you Finnish?   Litmanem is a damn deep cut.   Sami Hyypia would have been the Finn I would have pulled out.   

I understand what you mean and being in America it is a bit different I suppose.   My roommate in college was a Chelsea supporter (from England) and I got to see him experience the joy of the Roman revolution from him first hand, but I always feel a little gate keepery about modern fans who never had any difficulty finding their team on the TV or picking who they support based off how good they are on FIFA.   The big Arsenal fans I knew back in the day were students from Africa bc of their pride at their players being on the team, I just think it’s weird when people fall in love with winners - it’d be like a French person moving to the US and becoming a Lakers, Yankees, and Cowboys fan

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4910 on: May 19, 2023, 11:34:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Are you Finnish?   Litmanem is a damn deep cut.   Sami Hyypia would have been the Finn I would have pulled out.   

I understand what you mean and being in America it is a bit different I suppose.   My roommate in college was a Chelsea supporter (from England) and I got to see him experience the joy of the Roman revolution from him first hand, but I always feel a little gate keepery about modern fans who never had any difficulty finding their team on the TV or picking who they support based off how good they are on FIFA.   The big Arsenal fans I knew back in the day were students from Africa bc of their pride at their players being on the team, I just think it’s weird when people fall in love with winners - it’d be like a French person moving to the US and becoming a Lakers, Yankees, and Cowboys fan

Yes, and while Hyypiä was good, there can only be one king.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4911 on: May 20, 2023, 12:07:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, and while Hyypiä was good, there can only be one king.

He was there a year or two before I started supporting them. 

I don’t know why you being Finnish changes how I feel about you supporting Man City, but it does.   Fair play to you.   Treble would annoy me, but hope you beat Man U

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #4912 on: May 20, 2023, 12:17:21 PM »
Congrats Whale - due to the number of hungover Citeh players I think tomorrow may be the only time in a while it would be safe to bet on a Chelsea win.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4913 on: May 20, 2023, 01:07:39 PM »
Thanks man! Pulled some strings to get off work so I could watch tomorrows game in peace, guess I can use that time to go skate instead.
Thank you Arsenal.

Who do you guys reckon survives the drop?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4914 on: May 20, 2023, 01:46:30 PM »
I do not know if I am cruel enough to actively wish for Everton to go down.   That being said, Everton and Leicester are the two I’d be least sad about being relegated

nonickname

« Reply #4915 on: May 20, 2023, 02:10:26 PM »
Liecester are going down - which will annoy my son to no end. He plays mid and really likes Tielemans and Morrison. I believe their kiss of death, aside from injuries depleting their D, was when I ordered him a jersey from old Blighty.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4916 on: May 20, 2023, 02:51:03 PM »
Liecester are going down - which will annoy my son to no end. He plays mid and really likes Tielemans and Morrison. I believe their kiss of death, aside from injuries depleting their D, was when I ordered him a jersey from old Blighty.

Tielemans will stay in PL, which may make it worse for him

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4917 on: May 20, 2023, 04:49:06 PM »
Congratulations @whale

I hope Leeds stay up, big Sam was brought in a bit too late I'm afraid thou..

Arsenal are almost as bad as Spurs at blowing it

nonickname

« Reply #4918 on: May 20, 2023, 08:54:16 PM »
This discussion of which teams will go down made me think "what if you could relegate players?" So who's the 3 PL players you'd relegate and a short reason of why? And so that its not just people piling on a certain team you can't take more than 1 per team (its very late here so hopefully that made sense)

Bruno F / ManUtd - histronics
K.Zouma / WestHam - cat kicker
Richarlison / Spurs - attitude of a world beater who does not much

Normally I'd say Mendy from ManCity but i have no idea if hes even on the squad/what the latest is with him.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #4919 on: May 20, 2023, 09:53:51 PM »
For my fellow MLS fans…
Jump for LA black and gold, hooray hooray!
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.