Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464077 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #5340 on: March 10, 2024, 11:11:49 PM »
Expand Quote
not sure how that wasnt a pen at the end. that's a foul anywhere else on the pitch
[close]

Seriously should’ve been. With all the blown scoring chances today Liverpool should’ve walked away 3-1 victors at least.

Luis Diaz was playing the role of Darwin today

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #5341 on: March 10, 2024, 11:51:53 PM »
I have nieces and I’ve gotten very big on presenting women in sports to them. Saw the women’s gold cup with them and I was entertained. Surprised US managed to beat Brazil.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5342 on: March 15, 2024, 03:34:22 PM »
Well, if both teams keep it up, Jurgen Klopps last game for Liverpool could be against Xabi Alonso’s Leverkuesen in the Europa finals

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
« Reply #5343 on: March 16, 2024, 02:39:41 AM »
Well, if both teams keep it up, Jurgen Klopps last game for Liverpool could be against Xabi Alonso’s Leverkuesen in the Europa finals
I hope so.
Also Brighton this was brilliant

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #5344 on: March 23, 2024, 03:58:49 PM »
Seeing the pics of a cancer ravaged Sven being the Liverpool gaffer today for the legends match was so bittersweet.

Glad Kiki Musampa (Citeh & TFC "legend") bagged one.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5345 on: March 23, 2024, 04:12:30 PM »
Seeing the pics of a cancer ravaged Sven being the Liverpool gaffer today for the legends match was so bittersweet.

Yes, it was very nice that an opportunity was made available for Sven to manage LFC

Anyone remember when Notts County seemingly was going to have a major financial boon and Sven was the manager manager for like a week before it all fell apart?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5346 on: March 24, 2024, 02:52:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes, it was very nice that an opportunity was made available for Sven to manage LFC

Anyone remember when Notts County seemingly was going to have a major financial boon and Sven was the manager manager for like a week before it all fell apart?

Yeah that was lovely to see. It's shit that in 2024 we still have no cure for cancer but spend billions on weapons etc.

Yeah that Notts County thing was super bizarre.

Ireland blew (yet again) another chance to turn shit around, and France got a wake up call yesterday as well.

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2550
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5347 on: March 24, 2024, 08:39:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I recently listened to a podcast about that bizarre episode. They spoke to Sven about it, was honestly surprised that he agreed to it, lol. And I think he was there for a longer time. But I think Sol Campbell played one half for them, haha.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5348 on: March 24, 2024, 09:07:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah I recently listened to a podcast about that bizarre episode. They spoke to Sven about it, was honestly surprised that he agreed to it, lol. And I think he was there for a longer time. But I think Sol Campbell played one half for them, haha.

Looked into it, yeah he was there for like a season.   Brought Kasper Schmeichal along too.   Forgot Sven also managed the Mexico NT after England for a wee bit as well.   Those mid-tier managers have such fascinating careers

geezer

• Rep: 37
« Reply #5349 on: March 25, 2024, 11:38:13 AM »
Getting ready to head to Europe for a week. Spurs game next Saturday, PSV Eindhoven game the following Saturday. Super excited! We'll be in Rome midweek, and there's a Wednesday night Coppa Italia at Fiorentina that we might get tickets to as well, just need to decide whether we feel like making the trip at that point.

Trilogy

• Rep: -265
« Reply #5350 on: March 25, 2024, 03:17:14 PM »

I am Portuguese, but if someone sees this video of Messi and say Cristiano Ronaldo is better that person clearly dont understand anything about football.

Also, Messi isn't just a goal scorer, he is also a playmaker and makes a lot of assists.

Messi is the best ever!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 07:54:00 AM by Trilogy »

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5351 on: March 28, 2024, 03:40:32 AM »
Any Germans on here wanna give an opinion on the national team moving to Nike after 70 years of Adidas?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #5352 on: March 28, 2024, 07:31:38 AM »
Any Germans on here wanna give an opinion on the national team moving to Nike after 70 years of Adidas?
Not German but that's kinda fucked. You'd think keeping the German soccer team would be Adidas top priority and Nike making an offer would be purely as a fuck you to Adidas. Funny how Nike are top dogs now, first pair of new boots I ever got were Nike's and everyone gave me so much shit

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5353 on: March 28, 2024, 09:00:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not German but that's kinda fucked. You'd think keeping the German soccer team would be Adidas top priority and Nike making an offer would be purely as a fuck you to Adidas. Funny how Nike are top dogs now, first pair of new boots I ever got were Nike's and everyone gave me so much shit

I believe I read that Adidas was 3rd in the bidding process.   

It’s funny Brazil put themselves out there to be bid on, hoping they get some fuck you bids from Adidas

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #5354 on: March 28, 2024, 12:26:20 PM »
Germany should have gone with Umbro.

I feel like most Nike jersey designs suck ass. On par with Puma. Well, maybe not that bad.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #5355 on: March 28, 2024, 03:10:12 PM »
Would have been funnier if they did switch to Puma though.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5356 on: March 29, 2024, 01:42:42 AM »

I feel like most Nike jersey designs suck ass. On par with Puma. Well, maybe not that bad.

Umbro is under Nike

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5357 on: March 29, 2024, 01:43:44 AM »
Welp, apparently Xabi is out as an option.   Gives me a sense of foreboding that the rest of the season is going to anti-climax as well

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5358 on: March 29, 2024, 02:04:05 AM »
Would have been funnier if they did switch to Puma though.
Forsure. Although Nike and Puma both are better that bleeding Castore Ireland got stuck with, to make matters worse sky as the sponsor...

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #5359 on: March 29, 2024, 05:15:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Umbro is under Nike

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 88
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #5360 on: March 29, 2024, 07:08:20 AM »
Welp, apparently Xabi is out as an option.   Gives me a sense of foreboding that the rest of the season is going to anti-climax as well

I'm all in on Ruben Amorim now

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5361 on: March 29, 2024, 09:15:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, not wholly convinced by DeZerbi yet, just historically with lower table PL teams punching above their weight - the manager never seems to work out well at bigger PL sides.   

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #5362 on: March 29, 2024, 01:04:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not trying to cause any shit by saying this, but it feels to me that whoever you guys appoint, you need to get it right.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5363 on: March 29, 2024, 02:05:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not trying to cause any shit by saying this, but it feels to me that whoever you guys appoint, you need to get it right.

I 100% agree - but fortunately we have a settled hierarchy and it’s not like Klopps going somewhere and going to take players with him.   

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5364 on: March 29, 2024, 02:39:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I 100% agree - but fortunately we have a settled hierarchy and it’s not like Klopps going somewhere and going to take players with him.

No of course not, but VVD and Salah are aging, and atleast Salah is most likely gone soon. VVD also hinted something similar iirc. The new manager needs to unlock Nunez, convince Trent to stay, find a stable back line, sign a midfield maestro plus whatever I’m forgetting.
Academy kids like Bradley and Quansah seem like they could turn good, but what if the results are not up to par?
How many season could you go without Champions League football?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5365 on: March 29, 2024, 02:59:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

No of course not, but VVD and Salah are aging, and atleast Salah is most likely gone soon. VVD also hinted something similar iirc. The new manager needs to unlock Nunez, convince Trent to stay, find a stable back line, sign a midfield maestro plus whatever I’m forgetting.
Academy kids like Bradley and Quansah seem like they could turn good, but what if the results are not up to par?
How many season could you go without Champions League football?

Well I don’t think CL is up for debate next season and I believe England’s getting 5 spots soon, so I think that’s sustainable. 

Darwin’s nearly unlocked.   I don’t think TAA is going anywhere (RM rumor is just a goofy slow news day thing).  New manager is getting a good transfer fund and we got Michael Edward’s back.   Salah hasn’t slowed down yet, but I’d wish him well.   Virgil we have replacements for

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5366 on: March 30, 2024, 12:49:29 AM »
^obviously next season CL is in the bag, bar a disaster.
But is the new gaffer up for it too? Can he secure it beyond next season?
Problem with hot new managers is you never know how they handle big clubs.
While Amorim has CL league experience, I’d argue that just competing in it with Sporting, and being one of the favourites to win it with Liverpool is different gravy.

Anyways, I hope you get it right.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5367 on: March 30, 2024, 01:06:54 AM »
^obviously next season CL is in the bag, bar a disaster.
But is the new gaffer up for it too? Can he secure it beyond next season?
Problem with hot new managers is you never know how they handle big clubs.
While Amorim has CL league experience, I’d argue that just competing in it with Sporting, and being one of the favourites to win it with Liverpool is different gravy.

Anyways, I hope you get it right.

Right, but like I said, I’m much more confident in hot managers outside the PL seem to do better than hot managers from small clubs within the PL.   

The available “big clubs / big managers” that are out there are all Chelsea/Bayern rejects.   Man U wouldn’t be sniffing around Southgate if there were a lot of great, available options

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5368 on: April 14, 2024, 12:13:16 PM »
Lucas Hradecky is now a fuckin’ champion of the fuckin’ bundesliga!

OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ!

(Bet you thought I posted about something else….)

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5369 on: April 15, 2024, 05:34:01 AM »
Xabi Alonso and the first ever Bundesliga for Bayer Leverkusen is crazy...you couldn't make that up if you tried.