Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464416 times)

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #1170 on: January 10, 2012, 06:15:32 AM »
WTF first Scholes now Henry?  Rebuilding is not going well with the old big 4.  I think Tiote, Modric, and Bale are better than any midfielders out there right now...who don't plat for City.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1171 on: January 10, 2012, 09:55:44 AM »
WTF first Scholes now Henry?  Rebuilding is not going well with the old big 4.  I think Tiote, Modric, and Bale are better than any midfielders out there right now...who don't plat for City.
Parker too.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1172 on: January 10, 2012, 10:59:46 AM »
Parker is a solid player but I think he's a cut below those 3.  He's like a more defensive, less athletic Milner.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1173 on: January 10, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »
He's more defensive, but he's the lynch pin of that mid field. Tottenham definitely do have the best mid field in England right now though.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1174 on: January 10, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »
Maybe just edge it over city...

Lennon/VDV, Parker, Modric, Bale
or
Milner/Nasri, Silva, Barry, Toure

That's a tough call haha.  It depends on if Bale or Silva's in form really.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1175 on: January 10, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »
Parker's been out for a bit though, and you can see the effects in Spurs' last few defensive performances. There were a few games in the beginning of the season where he was absolutely amazing though, cutting out everything in midfield and running like a madman around the pitch making last ditch challenges. He kind of seems like a player from the 70s or something, no pussyfooting whatsoever.

Bale and Silva are both in form at the moment but without Toure I can see Man City having some problems dominating midfield in the future. He kind of does the same thing as Parker by bossing the middle of the field but with more attacking flair.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1176 on: January 21, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »
Dempsey is fucking killing it right now!

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1177 on: January 21, 2012, 04:52:40 PM »
Yeah, he did good today.

Spurs - City tomorrow. Looking forward to that game.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1178 on: January 21, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
First American to ever score a hat trick in the Premier League, plus he scored one earlier this year already. Landon Donovan is good, but I wish people would stop saying he's the best player that the U.S. has ever produced.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #1179 on: January 21, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »
Is there a more woefully inept team in the Premiership (relative to their wages I guess) than Liverpool? Christ that game today was horrendous. Charlie Adam alone, fucking terrible.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1180 on: January 21, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
Pretty surprised to see Fulham win like that today. I watched them lose 1-3 last week against a Blackburn team whose only good striker, Yakubu, got sent off in like the 20th minute of the game. Fulham had absolutely nothing going on the attack and got outplayed by 10 men over 75 minutes, but the next home game they play they win 5-2 against Newcastle, a much better team.  ???

Liverpool are a painfully mediocre team (except their defence) and can't score for shit. I would say at this point that Carroll was an even worse purchase than Torres because he literally does nothing but wait for crosses to come into the box (while standing in the wrong place), whereas Torres does occasionally contribute to the attack.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1181 on: January 22, 2012, 12:34:40 AM »
I like how when Torres got subbed off the Norwich fans came up with a song about him being a waste of money.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1182 on: January 22, 2012, 11:28:19 AM »
The reaction of the fans when Chamberlain got subbed for Arshavin.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1183 on: January 23, 2012, 10:50:09 AM »
The reaction of the fans when Chamberlain got subbed for Arshavin.

Ha.  I liked Arshavin's reaction as well.  He just had a blank expression like "you fucking bastards".  I don't blame Arsenal fans though.  He's god awful.  Oxlade is one strange looking bloke.

Donovan has got to be the best USA player ever.  Dempsey isn't far behind though.

Also, any team would miss Tiote, it's not that surprising that Newcastle could get dominated like that without him.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #1184 on: January 25, 2012, 03:39:56 PM »
!

POW!
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #1185 on: January 26, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #1186 on: February 15, 2012, 01:47:10 PM »

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1187 on: February 15, 2012, 02:10:44 PM »
Well Arsenal got shit on.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1188 on: February 15, 2012, 02:33:43 PM »

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1189 on: February 15, 2012, 03:18:24 PM »
I'm so tired of our broadcasts picking up Sky Sports commentary. It took three fucking goals for the dickhead calling the game to admit that Arsenal were being outplayed, and then he still insisted that it was a substandard Milan side.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1190 on: February 15, 2012, 06:02:43 PM »
Why must you break my fucking heart all the time Arsenal?

Sagna - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Gibbs

That's the most solid and competent back four they've had in awhile since there was always a hole that needed filling. Before the match and on paper this seemed like an Arsenal side that were pretty close to full strength and seeing their performance at the San Siro, that says a lot.

That match could've used the poetic commentary of Ray Hudson

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1191 on: February 15, 2012, 06:49:55 PM »
I'm so tired of our broadcasts picking up Sky Sports commentary. It took three fucking goals for the dickhead calling the game to admit that Arsenal were being outplayed, and then he still insisted that it was a substandard Milan side.

Was that the same dumbass that criticized Wenger for not trusting his English players and kept asking why he didn't start Oxlaide-Chamberlain? In all fairness, Milan's team was a bit below full strength, especially in midfield, and they've been having trouble in their league matches lately. It just shows you how far behind Arsenal really are that they couldn't even touch Milan's defense the entire game.

The fact that the Sagna - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Gibbs line got broken up 20 minutes in due to the injury to koscielny probably contributed somewhat to the atrocious defending, although they looked bad from the very beginning. Gibbs and Sagna are both coming back from injury so they aren't gonna be at their best but by the second half Wenger had switched out both his centre backs for Song - Djourou, not a recipe for success when playing a good attacking team.

Wonder if England's gonna lose a champions league place come the end of the season? If Napoli gets past Chelsea the tables will really have turned from a few years ago. It wouldn't really make any sense for UEFA to do so but it would be a bit of poetic justice for the Serie A.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1192 on: February 15, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Was that the same dumbass that criticized Wenger for not trusting his English players and kept asking why he didn't start Oxlaide-Chamberlain? In all fairness, Milan's team was a bit below full strength, especially in midfield, and they've been having trouble in their league matches lately. It just shows you how far behind Arsenal really are that they couldn't even touch Milan's defense the entire game.

Haha yeah, same guy. From the phrasing it just sounded like he was suggesting Arsenal should be handling Milan comfortably - he just seemed completely deluded. It was the same way last time I watched Tottenham play, commentary just prattling on about who "deserves" the win, rather than what the numbers tell you.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1193 on: February 15, 2012, 08:39:19 PM »
I'm always amazed at how consistently and hilariously biased British commentators are towards British players and teams. I know that most of the english language audience are either from Britain themselves or EPL obsessed foreigners, but the lengths to which certain guys go to talk up their favourite guys and gloss over their shortcomings is really astounding. There's one dude in particular (don't know his name, cockney accent, pompous sounding calls lots of premier league games) who I heard a few weeks ago trying to criticize AVB for not starting Lampard all the time despite the fact that he was having a terrible game right in front of his eyes. Isn't feigned impartiality supposed to be one of the main requirements of any sports announcer?

To be fair to the Sky Sports guy, he did admit that Arsenal were playing terribly, it just took him an hour longer than it should have. Maybe he felt that pointing out how bad they were would ruin the drama of the moment (it is the champions league after all).

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1194 on: February 16, 2012, 07:52:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The fact that the Sagna - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Gibbs line got broken up 20 minutes in due to the injury to koscielny probably contributed somewhat to the atrocious defending, although they looked bad from the very beginning. Gibbs and Sagna are both coming back from injury so they aren't gonna be at their best but by the second half Wenger had switched out both his centre backs for Song - Djourou, not a recipe for success when playing a good attacking team.

Wonder if England's gonna lose a champions league place come the end of the season? If Napoli gets past Chelsea the tables will really have turned from a few years ago. It wouldn't really make any sense for UEFA to do so but it would be a bit of poetic justice for the Serie A.

They will not.  It's a 5 year average and they are in first.  Italy will lose one at the end of the season because they fell behind Germany last year.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2012.html

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1195 on: February 18, 2012, 11:53:15 AM »
Those silly gooners went and did it again!

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1196 on: February 18, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »
^Haha yeah...

I'm not surprised and I don't think many people are.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1197 on: February 18, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »
Both Chelsea and Arsenal look so weak right now (psychologically and otherwise). I kind of wish Arsenal had been drawn against a lower league team just to see them bottle it.

This is good for all you liverpool fans though, chances of a cup double are looking pretty favourable right about now.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1198 on: February 18, 2012, 09:29:51 PM »

This is good for all you liverpool fans though, chances of a cup double are looking pretty favourable right about now.
Don't worry, they'll start Caroll to ensure that no goals are scored.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1199 on: February 19, 2012, 06:23:54 AM »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1024087/defeats-prompt-arsenal-bosses-to-spend---reports?cc=5901

I'm all for a responsible and sustainable model but it's about goddamn time.