Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464689 times)

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #1380 on: May 14, 2012, 06:14:43 AM »

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1381 on: May 14, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #1382 on: May 15, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »
This was wild.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #1383 on: May 16, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »
So Liverpool parts ways with Dalglish again...

I must admit the "does this count as an assist for Stuart Downing?" joke that made the rounds cracked me up.

It will be interesting to see what calibre of manager Liverpool is even capable of attracting these days. I would love to see Rafa back, honestly. I never understood the way English fans/media were so harsh on him.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1384 on: May 16, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
I'm more fascinated by the fact that Downing was actually called up again for the England team. The mind boggles...

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #1385 on: May 17, 2012, 01:14:26 AM »

I must admit the "does this count as an assist for Stuart Downing?" joke that made the rounds cracked me up.

It will be interesting to see what calibre of manager Liverpool is even capable of attracting these days. I would love to see Rafa back, honestly. I never understood the way English fans/media were so harsh on him.
Pep Gaurdiola is free from Barca. And as for Rafa, he made a few decisions towards the end of his reign that let hima and Liverpool down. He had the league in his hands but he got involved with a pointless argument with Fergie and he lost the press and his head and then the league lead. He also refused to let Alonso go and see his new born baby as they had a league match, now he is the best defensive midfielder elsewhere.
I think that Liverpool have a lot of promise but when Kuyt, Bellamy, Carragher, Gerrard, Reina et al either leave or retire there will be no backbone left too the team.
Personally Dalgleish should have had one more season to let his signings bed in. But it does seem that everyone wants instant results these days

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1386 on: May 17, 2012, 06:02:20 AM »
This might sound like absolute sacrilege but I can't even be mad at RVP should he choose to leave.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1387 on: May 17, 2012, 06:10:34 AM »
This might sound like absolute sacrilege but I can't even be mad at RVP should he choose to leave.

You'd be mad at the club though, right?

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1388 on: May 17, 2012, 06:29:57 AM »
I just don't want Arsenal to become midtable fodder like Liverpool

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1389 on: May 17, 2012, 06:33:19 AM »
I just don't want Arsenal to become midtable fodder like Liverpool

Well...it's not easy these days to replace a 30 goal striker no matter how much money Arsenal get for RVP.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1390 on: May 17, 2012, 08:59:50 AM »
Is RVP out of contract? If he moves Arsenal wont get shit. He really has carried them this season and if he goes they will need a striker as they dont tend to get many goals from elswhere. Walcott got 8 and Vermaelan is the third highest with 6 in the league. Podolski is on his way so we shall see what he has in his boot bag
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:02:06 AM by Spike Hawke »

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #1391 on: May 17, 2012, 09:09:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Pep Gaurdiola is free from Barca. And as for Rafa, he made a few decisions towards the end of his reign that let hima and Liverpool down. He had the league in his hands but he got involved with a pointless argument with Fergie and he lost the press and his head and then the league lead. He also refused to let Alonso go and see his new born baby as they had a league match, now he is the best defensive midfielder elsewhere.
I think that Liverpool have a lot of promise but when Kuyt, Bellamy, Carragher, Gerrard, Reina et al either leave or retire there will be no backbone left too the team.
Personally Dalgleish should have had one more season to let his signings bed in. But it does seem that everyone wants instant results these days

He's having a 'sabbatical' can't see him going to Liverpool, plus they haven't got champions league football again I can't imagine Pep would want to manage a Europa League team.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1392 on: May 17, 2012, 09:29:26 AM »
Is RVP out of contract? If he moves Arsenal wont get shit. He really has carried them this season and if he goes they will need a striker as they dont tend to get many goals from elswhere. Walcott got 8 and Vermaelan is the third highest with 6 in the league. Podolski is on his way so we shall see what he has in his boot bag

No but if he doesn't sign he'd leave on a free next summer.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1393 on: May 17, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Liverpool's not in bad shape, honestly. Kuyt and Bellamy are expendable, though it pains me somewhat to say since Kuyt's been such a stand-up guy. Carragher's become a full on liability in his age. Gerrard just needs to stay healthy and he's as good as he ever was (with the right cast around him), and Reina is still only 29 and though he was kind of shaky at times this year he's as much a red as Gerrard or Carragher and he'll be here til he's done. The new kids will take some time to settle in and develop, but much progress will be made next year as long as there's one or two smart signings, and Lucas doesn't go and get himself terribly hurt again.

Pep won't even think about trying to restore a fallen Premiership team. He's only ever managed one of the best teams ever assembled, anywhere he goes there will be a massive weight on his shoulders.

Dalglish should have had more time, but I don't necessarily disagree with his firing. He chose the wrong priorities, he was pretty open about wanting to chase after cups. I'm pretty sure this whole thing is the owners making a statement about how much more the league is worth. As long as someone capable like Cruyff comes in as director of football, it won't really bother me too much who's taken on as manager.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:40:12 AM by Mooley »

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1394 on: May 17, 2012, 10:15:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Liverpool's not in bad shape, honestly. Kuyt and Bellamy are expendable, though it pains me somewhat to say since Kuyt's been such a stand-up guy. Carragher's become a full on liability in his age. Gerrard just needs to stay healthy and he's as good as he ever was (with the right cast around him), and Reina is still only 29 and though he was kind of shaky at times this year he's as much a red as Gerrard or Carragher and he'll be here til he's done. The new kids will take some time to settle in and develop, but much progress will be made next year as long as there's one or two smart signings, and Lucas doesn't go and get himself terribly hurt again.

Pep won't even think about trying to restore a fallen Premiership team. He's only ever managed one of the best teams ever assembled, anywhere he goes there will be a massive weight on his shoulders.

Dalglish should have had more time, but I don't necessarily disagree with his firing. He chose the wrong priorities, he was pretty open about wanting to chase after cups. I'm pretty sure this whole thing is the owners making a statement about how much more the league is worth. As long as someone capable like Cruyff comes in as director of football, it won't really bother me too much who's taken on as manager.
Dont get me wrong, I love how much effort Kuyt puts in everytime he pulls on the jersey, yes he is replaceable but he has more heart than 90% of the team put together. Do you think that a keeper of Reinasqualty will want to hang around in a squad that are far from the champions league, has he been picked for the Euros? Lucas has so much more to give and alot of the JNRs can learn shit loads from him. I think if Gerrard and him had had a full season they would have not had such a shocker. Yes we got a cup this year but that doesnt really say much considering the final wasn't a cracker and it was against Cardiff FFS.
Pep was a joke, sorry, not a good one.
I just dont see any "quality" waiting to jump in. The chat is all about Roberto Martinez but I dont know what he can give. He has had a good season but its a team he has built, not a team he walked into like Liverpool.
Ive been a fan of Liverpool since the Grobbelaar era and ive never felt so dissapointed at the end of the season like this year.
I guess it cant get any worse.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1395 on: May 17, 2012, 11:04:59 AM »

There is no more passionate Liverpool player than Reina. He loves the club, he loves the city, he's proud of his kids for growing up with scouse accents... he's just a fucking beauty. I don't think he'll feel any pressure to leave, Casillas is and always will be Spain's number one.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1396 on: May 17, 2012, 11:35:37 AM »

There is no more passionate Liverpool player than Reina. He loves the club, he loves the city, he's proud of his kids for growing up with scouse accents... he's just a fucking beauty. I don't think he'll feel any pressure to leave, Casillas is and always will be Spain's number one.

I really hope so. I think that only Hart is as good as Pepe in the Prem at though moment. Super chuffed for Brad Jones to get a couple of games though, he has had a mental year.
What you think of the new strip? I remember the Hillsborough disaster and two of my brother in laws where at the match, I think they might do an away strip reversal

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #1397 on: May 17, 2012, 12:55:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I really hope so. I think that only Hart is as good as Pepe in the Prem at though moment. Super chuffed for Brad Jones to get a couple of games though, he has had a mental year.
What you think of the new strip? I remember the Hillsborough disaster and two of my brother in laws where at the match, I think they might do an away strip reversal

Along with De Gea, although he was critisized at the start of the season, he came through after christmas, keeping United in some important games, he's a good safe pair of hands now.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1398 on: May 17, 2012, 01:21:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Along with De Gea, although he was critisized at the start of the season, he came through after christmas, keeping United in some important games, he's a good safe pair of hands now.
Not sure if he is up to scratch just yet, get a couple of years Prem experience before he is there. He definately has a lot of promise. Tim Krul is a better keeper has more clean sheets and almost double the amount of saves from this season than heaps of the other keepers.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1399 on: May 17, 2012, 05:48:24 PM »
I honestly don't think De Gea is a big enough guy to be a great goalie in the premiere league. Although he's improved a lot he still gets run over in the penalty area on set pieces. Really good shot stopper though. Also, Pepe reina was called up for the pre-euro friendlies, not the official squad. Victor Valdes is probably still the #2 but him and all the rest of the Barca players aren't available til after the copa del rey final.

In regards to liverpool, I'm sorry but there's a serious lack of talent in the midfield with the exception of Lucas. Gerrard only has a couple (semi-decent) years left in him and Kuyt and Bellamy have probably been their most dangerous attacking midfielders when they've played this season, even though Kuyt only scored like 3 goals. Henderson and Downing might improve next year but I wouldn't expect great things from either of them. Adam just seems like he isn't good enough.

Frankly, the most frustrating thing about Liverpool this season for me has been that the system they've chosen (basically lots of crosses into the box) clearly does not work at all with Suarez, who is their best player. That and the fact that they're attempting to use "moneyball" strategies while paradoxically buying lots of horribly overpriced English players. I'm guessing that the ownership won't be shelling out a lot more money after last seasons spending, so we can probably expect to see them in more direct competition with mid-table Everton over the next few seasons.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1400 on: May 17, 2012, 09:38:02 PM »

New kit looks gorgeous. After seeing those amazing new France kits I was really glad to see something similar - nice and clean.

In regards to liverpool, I'm sorry but there's a serious lack of talent in the midfield with the exception of Lucas. Gerrard only has a couple (semi-decent) years left in him and Kuyt and Bellamy have probably been their most dangerous attacking midfielders when they've played this season, even though Kuyt only scored like 3 goals. Henderson and Downing might improve next year but I wouldn't expect great things from either of them. Adam just seems like he isn't good enough.

Frankly, the most frustrating thing about Liverpool this season for me has been that the system they've chosen (basically lots of crosses into the box) clearly does not work at all with Suarez, who is their best player. That and the fact that they're attempting to use "moneyball" strategies while paradoxically buying lots of horribly overpriced English players. I'm guessing that the ownership won't be shelling out a lot more money after last seasons spending, so we can probably expect to see them in more direct competition with mid-table Everton over the next few seasons.

The midfield is definitely a bit of a puzzle. I wince thinking that a few short years ago there was Mascherano, Gerrard, and Alonso. I don't think at that time there was a better midfield in the world outside of Barca's. I have tons of faith in Gerrard and Lucas though, as they know how to play off eachother, it's just sorting out the final piece; hopefully that can be Henderson, once the new management pulls heads from asses and gives up on him as a right winger.

The BBC pegged the likely transfer kitty for next year at 30m. I think in all honesty that will be enough. For the first time in years, say what you will about the club's results, there's an actual foundation to build on. There are options in all the key positions, and enough youth in the squad to chase after a final couple of reliable reinforcements and be done with it. I don't know who takes the blame for the English-centric transfer policy but with Commolli and Dalglish gone it's case-closed at this point. Some reliable foreign talent on the wing and a proven striker and the club will be in pretty sound shape, I think.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1401 on: May 17, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

New kit looks gorgeous. After seeing those amazing new France kits I was really glad to see something similar - nice and clean.

Expand Quote

[close]

For the first time in years, say what you will about the club's results, there's an actual foundation to build on. There are options in all the key positions, and enough youth in the squad to chase after a final couple of reliable reinforcements and be done with it. I don't know who takes the blame for the English-centric transfer policy but with Commolli and Dalglish gone it's case-closed at this point. Some reliable foreign talent on the wing and a proven striker and the club will be in pretty sound shape, I think.

You're right about them having a decent foundation. They've looked pretty damn good defensively at times this year. I don't think they're gonna be able to get two good wingers and a proven striker for 30 million though.

It's hilarious that Mascherano is playing as a central defender for Barca now. Maybe you guys could ask for him back in exchange for Downing since they're looking for a left winger?

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1402 on: May 18, 2012, 04:47:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Have you seen the back pages today? Still not going to happen.

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1403 on: May 18, 2012, 06:16:49 AM »
man this thread is weird ive been scanning through a few pages now and its pretty much all EPL discussion. i get that most of you are either americans or at least from english speaking countries, but that shouldn't mean you cant be interested in other leagues. how about some discussion on la liga or serie A.

like who really cares that much about liverpool atm, they're not even in cl. im personally way more interested to see what signings happen in serie a since milan just lost like 5 players and juve will be comin in strong from their undefeated season into next years cl.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1404 on: May 18, 2012, 06:34:27 AM »
man this thread is weird ive been scanning through a few pages now and its pretty much all EPL discussion. i get that most of you are either americans or at least from english speaking countries, but that shouldn't mean you cant be interested in other leagues. how about some discussion on la liga or serie A.

like who really cares that much about liverpool atm, they're not even in cl. im personally way more interested to see what signings happen in serie a since milan just lost like 5 players and juve will be comin in strong from their undefeated season into next years cl.

Liverpool have to sign a new coach and rebuild their squad, there is plenty of things to talk about with Liverpool.  If you want to discuss the other leagues...add something to the discussion.  I'm not sure which 5 players left Milan...the most interesting thing going on in Serie A imo is what's going to happen to Napoli's squad.  Most clubs will be drooling over Lavezzi and Cavanni but I think they'll stay at Napoli or another Italian club.

holden caulfield

« Reply #1405 on: May 18, 2012, 06:49:04 AM »
well from the starting line up, seedorf retired, van bommel is going back to psv, and nesta retired, which is a pretty big blow considering the experience they brought to the team. plus if you consider pato's ongoing fitness problems, milan may very well be very active this off season, and it will be very interesting to see what they do.

juve won the scudetto and will be looking for a strong performance in next years cl. however i doubt they can get all that far again on defense alone, and will probably be in the market for a striker. so far ive heard rumors that they are very interested in Higuain and as you said, im sure they will be at least thinking about cavani or lavezzi.

i agree with what you said about napoli, and i am somewhat concerned because they are one of my favorite teams. it sucks that they just missed out on CL qualification because now I could see lavezzi or cavani being more open to leaving, specially if its for a team in CL contention, like juve.

and as usual, it is always interesting to see what barcelona does. despite villa expected to be fully fit by the start of next season, i could see them investing in a striker anyway to help messi out with the goalscoring duties. maybe a bigger guy that can get some headers and keep the defense honest. also, as im sure youve heard Puyol is out again and will miss copa del rey and the Euros and will be undergoing surgery. Considering that he is already in his 30s and piques form is declining, i wouldn't be surprised if they made some ridiculous offer for Thiago Silva.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1406 on: May 18, 2012, 07:00:07 AM »
Serie A really is a goddamn retirement home huh? Lots of 30+ year old players

holden caulfield

« Reply #1407 on: May 18, 2012, 07:17:58 AM »
a lot of teams in serie a have super young teams, look at Roma for instance. but you are somewhat right, i mean serie a would definitely be more appealing to an older guy just because of the style of play. serie a is more tactical and the game play is tighter, while the epl sometimes resembles a track and field event. im a young guy and i wouldn't even want to play in the epl, too much fucking running for 50 50 balls lol.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1408 on: May 18, 2012, 07:31:37 AM »
The Premier league is well known to be the best in europe if not the world. But that said I still will watch La liga bundesliga and serie A.
Juve have obviously had a good year but will need to strengthen the strikeforce to carry on, considering what they have been through the last few seasons they have pretty well. A poor season for Roma and Chievo, atleast Fiorentina have a good reason to have a crappy season, there ex-manager was mental.
La Liga was really good this year too. Real Madrid starting to bring it to Barca. Looks to me that the next couple of seasons is going to be Reals. An ageing midfield for Barca is slowly being replaced but its not going to be as good for a while. Villareal have gone from some really big highs last season to being relegated this and its going to be interesting to see what Malaga are going to do with all that money.
Anyway, the Champions League final is this weekend. Any predictions? I reckon its going to be 1-0 Bayern with Robben scoring a pen

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1409 on: May 18, 2012, 07:58:36 AM »
1-0!?  How negative!  You realize how many first choice defenders are missing right?  I'm thinking (hoping) 3-2 to Chels with Frank Lampard winning it in stoppage time then rocketing into the sky in a great flash of light and fire leaving only his smoking kit on the pitch and an awestruck crowd.