Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464326 times)

Spike Hawke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #1710 on: July 01, 2012, 12:47:22 PM »
Fuck, just remembered to change my Fantasy team. Cock

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1711 on: July 01, 2012, 02:10:15 PM »
current spain, best team in history?

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1712 on: July 01, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »
another boring final....

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1713 on: July 01, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but despite 4 goals I found the final to really be boring, like actually yawn-inducing.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

nice weather

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1714 on: July 01, 2012, 02:43:25 PM »
What ever happened to good ol' excitement?

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1715 on: July 01, 2012, 03:16:22 PM »
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but despite 4 goals I found the final to really be boring, like actually yawn-inducing.
nah, i'm not joking. the game was over after 30 minutes, and in the second half italy playing with 10 players made it even worse.
the game made me tired.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1716 on: July 01, 2012, 03:22:32 PM »
Sucks that the last half hour of the game turned out to be basically pointless, but Prandelli really blew his load with the substitutions he made. Chiellini was clearly carrying an injury and should never have started. Cassano off for Di Natale and Motta for Montolivo both seemed a little bit hasty/unnecessary to me, and if you're out of subs by the 60th minute in a major tournament final, you're definitely doing it wrong. No-one can blame Spain for making this one boring though. It was actually quite an open game for the first hour or so, Spain were just the superior team and Italy didn't do enough tactically to stop them.

Still, bummed to see Pirlo, Buffon etc. go out like that...

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1717 on: July 01, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »
I think if you're 2:0 down at halftime in the knockout stage (especially the final), you won't want to wait until the 60th minute to make changes, hence the halftime substitutions...

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #1718 on: July 01, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »
A lot of people say Spain is boring, but basically you gotta stop them from doing their thing.  I understand Del Bosque's strategy.  Some people wanted Navas or Pedro starting, but Silva makes more sense.  Not only because of the goal today, but what they want is more control of the ball early in the game.  They wear teams out with the midfield play any any goal on top of that is gravy.  Then later on in the game you bring on guys with pace like Navas, Pedro and Torres when the opposing team is tired.  If you bring them on too early that might lead to more open play, thus more counter attacks.  So you can either park the bus or get picked apart.  Just a reflection on how good Spain are and how they changed the game.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1719 on: July 01, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
I think if you're 2:0 down at halftime in the knockout stage (especially the final), you won't want to wait until the 60th minute to make changes, hence the halftime substitutions...

He definitely had to make changes at or around half time. I just think that two like-for-like substitutions were never gonna shift the game in their favour. Tactically they weren't really set up to challenge Spain in midfield. For me the real mistake was starting Chiellini and risking having to use up one of your substitutions early when he knew they would probably be needed later on.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1720 on: July 01, 2012, 08:31:30 PM »
Whatever, I had a rad time watching it. Italy had no idea what to do after the first goal. My local bar had a group of about 30 Spaniards there that partied for 4 hours after the final whistle. My girl and I made tortilla, empanadillas and croquetas, while the pastry chef where I work made paella. Granted, I fully expect that Messi will win the next world cup, but this Spain team is the best team that has ever existed. Even better then Pele's Brazil.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1721 on: July 02, 2012, 04:06:44 AM »
Speaking  of Messi, I remember reading a report from a recent Argentina qualifier or something, and it said that their playing style was changed by Sabella to suit him better, so you might be right about him getting the next world cup.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #1722 on: July 02, 2012, 06:04:53 AM »

Fuck me too. 

As for the Euro's that Torres goal meant I correctly predicted the golden boot winner and the tournament winner.  I should've bet on that!  I heard Torres was at 30-1 at one point.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1723 on: July 02, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck me too. 

As for the Euro's that Torres goal meant I correctly predicted the golden boot winner and the tournament winner.  I should've bet on that!  I heard Torres was at 30-1 at one point.

I was just thinking about this. Someone out there probably made a lot of money on him; can't believe he won it with only 3 goals and an assist.

Another thing I was pondering: despite having one of the worst seasons of his career, Torres ends up as a winner in both the Champions league and Euro. Seems a bit unfair really.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1724 on: July 02, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »
What's unfair is that Pirlo isn't the player of the tournament.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1725 on: July 05, 2012, 06:59:51 AM »
Is it even surprising that van Persie is leaving? The thought was lingering in the back of our minds for a long time now. Hell, even in my FIFA 12 file he's always asking to leave.

I can't be mad at him to be honest - the guy pretty much singlehandedly shouldered the club this past season. Hell, at 28 or 29, he's still got a considerable amount of playing time in him, I just hope he follows the Thierry Henry route and stays out of England (off to la liga perhaps?)

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1726 on: July 05, 2012, 07:36:52 AM »
Is it even surprising that van Persie is leaving?

No.  Does this mean Liverpool/Newcastle/Spurs/Chelsea will now finish above them is a more interesting question.  How is Arsenal going to replace 30 goals?  If Jack and Arteta can remain healthy and Giroud adapts to the Premier League quickly they'll have a good shot at 4th still.  Also, I don't see RVP leaving England.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1727 on: July 05, 2012, 09:54:56 AM »
right now platini, blatter and 6 other dudes decide if video technology will be introduced or not. today's the day.

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #1728 on: July 05, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »
right now platini, blatter and 6 other dudes decide if video technology will be introduced or not. today's the day.

it just got approved! Unanimous decision too.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #1729 on: July 05, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Is it even surprising that van Persie is leaving?
[close]

No.  Does this mean Liverpool/Newcastle/Spurs/Chelsea will now finish above them is a more interesting question.  How is Arsenal going to replace 30 goals?  If Jack and Arteta can remain healthy and Giroud adapts to the Premier League quickly they'll have a good shot at 4th still.  Also, I don't see RVP leaving England.

Not even to Barca. Thats who I thought of first. Cesc might have noised him up, not that Barca need a striker with all there midfielders and Messi. Will be interesting to see if Man City carry on or implode

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1730 on: July 05, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »
I guess it's possible...David Villa will be back.  Do they really need him??  I have a feeling he's going to United...but that's just a guess. 

!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:07:03 PM by chockfullofthat »

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #1731 on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:24 PM »
City don't need RVP in my opinion and might cause more problems if they do pick him up.  Another player like that will be either wanting more playing time or causing others to have less and you already got guys like Balotelli, Nasri and perhaps Tevez if he stays.  Aguero will probably always be in the line up.  The only reason they do pick up RVP is to try to get Arsenal out of the title picture.  Then they only need to deal with Man U and perhaps Chelsea.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1732 on: July 06, 2012, 05:43:40 AM »
Arsenal FC is a club with principles goddamnit! (lol)

But seriously, it would be so messed up if Manchester City bought RvP. Fuck. That'd just be obscene

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #1733 on: July 06, 2012, 05:57:50 AM »
I guess it's possible...David Villa will be back.  Do they really need him??  I have a feeling he's going to United...but that's just a guess. 

!

I hope not, he's nearly 29 and there are far better younger strikers out there. I will be disappointed if he comes to us.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1734 on: July 06, 2012, 02:45:17 PM »
City don't need RVP in my opinion and might cause more problems if they do pick him up.  Another player like that will be either wanting more playing time or causing others to have less and you already got guys like Balotelli, Nasri and perhaps Tevez if he stays.  Aguero will probably always be in the line up.  The only reason they do pick up RVP is to try to get Arsenal out of the title picture.  Then they only need to deal with Man U and perhaps Chelsea.

Arsenal are in the title picture? I thought they had just been competing for third place these last few years (sorry smell good).

It's hard to predict where RvP might go. City don't "need" him, Man U probably won't like the pricetag, Chelsea have Hulk, Hazard and Torres ready to go for next season. I heard a bit about real Madrid wanting him months ago but those rumours seem to have died down. It would be funny if he went to PSG or something like that, but I think he'll probably end up in England or Spain.

More interesting to me is the situation at Tottenham. Modric is already on his way to Madrid, apparently, and Adebayor could be recalled by Man City at any time. It seems like they might get substantially worse next season, which is unfortunate because I'd really like to see them playing in the champion's league again.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1735 on: July 06, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »
Expand Quote
City don't need RVP in my opinion and might cause more problems if they do pick him up.?  Another player like that will be either wanting more playing time or causing others to have less and you already got guys like Balotelli, Nasri and perhaps Tevez if he stays.?  Aguero will probably always be in the line up.?  The only reason they do pick up RVP is to try to get Arsenal out of the title picture.?  Then they only need to deal with Man U and perhaps Chelsea.
[close]

Arsenal are in the title picture? I thought they had just been competing for third place these last few years (sorry smell good).

It's hard to predict where RvP might go. City don't "need" him, Man U probably won't like the pricetag, Chelsea have Hulk, Hazard and Torres ready to go for next season. I heard a bit about real Madrid wanting him months ago but those rumours seem to have died down. It would be funny if he went to PSG or something like that, but I think he'll probably end up in England or Spain.

More interesting to me is the situation at Tottenham. Modric is already on his way to Madrid, apparently, and Adebayor could be recalled by Man City at any time. It seems like they might get substantially worse next season, which is unfortunate because I'd really like to see them playing in the champion's league again.

Whoa now...let's not jinx this.  Chelsea is far from signing Hulk as far as I know.

I'm pretty interested to see if Lucas (Sao Paolo) signs with a European club as well.  A lot of the silly season still to come...

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1736 on: July 06, 2012, 03:22:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tottenham hired AVB. They already lost any chance they might have had to do well.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #1737 on: July 06, 2012, 04:38:03 PM »
I know what you mean but actually if Arsenal didn't have such a horrid start to last season who knows?  They might have gave the two Manchester clubs a run.  But yeah if it's all about business with Arsenal then they'll continue to go down this road every year.

Expand Quote
City don't need RVP in my opinion and might cause more problems if they do pick him up.  Another player like that will be either wanting more playing time or causing others to have less and you already got guys like Balotelli, Nasri and perhaps Tevez if he stays.  Aguero will probably always be in the line up.  The only reason they do pick up RVP is to try to get Arsenal out of the title picture.  Then they only need to deal with Man U and perhaps Chelsea.
[close]

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:39:36 PM by Decreed Bratton »

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1738 on: July 06, 2012, 07:12:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
City don't need RVP in my opinion and might cause more problems if they do pick him up.?  Another player like that will be either wanting more playing time or causing others to have less and you already got guys like Balotelli, Nasri and perhaps Tevez if he stays.?  Aguero will probably always be in the line up.?  The only reason they do pick up RVP is to try to get Arsenal out of the title picture.?  Then they only need to deal with Man U and perhaps Chelsea.
[close]

[close]

Whoa now...let's not jinx this.  Chelsea is far from signing Hulk as far as I know.

I'm pretty interested to see if Lucas (Sao Paolo) signs with a European club as well.  A lot of the silly season still to come...

Hmm for some reason I thought the Hulk thing had already gone through, I must not be keeping a close enough eye on the transfer speculation whirlygig I suppose...

It looks like there's going to be a lot of exciting foreign players coming into the Premiere league next season, and a lot of squad rejuvenation for the big clubs. Quite looking forward to August.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1739 on: July 11, 2012, 05:02:26 AM »
Tottenham hired AVB. They already lost any chance they might have had to do well.

I disagree, I think AVB is still an excellent manager, and depending how well they replace Modric I think they'll have a good change for 4th place.