Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464553 times)

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #1740 on: July 11, 2012, 07:31:24 AM »
AVB seemed to fuck up the defense at Chelsea more than anything.  He needed a faster back line in order to press high up the field, which Chelsea was never able to do.  He'll need to replace Dawson and King if he wants an improvement.  I think they already signed someone from Ajax, actually.  I believe Gallas is gone too.  It's too early to write AVB off, I think he'll have an easier time working with the lightning quick midfield at spurs.

I realized the only reason I'm paying for cable each month is because of football.  If it weren't for the early kickoffs and the champions league games during work I could just go to a bar for every game or get a pirate stream.   But hangovers and work prevent me from seeing those games live.  Just sucks that I have to pay upwards of $80 a month just to DVR about 2 matches.  I can watch PBS online for free and torrent TV shows.  Oh well I guess I could be paying half my salary for a season ticket haha.  /rant   If anyone has a way around this I'd be interested...

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1741 on: July 11, 2012, 09:42:13 AM »
do you not have friends that also watch it? only one of my friends/teammates actually has a full cable package that includes virtually any game one could possibly want to watch, and he has no problem recording games if you ask him to. If you don't have any friends that generous, just offer to pay a fraction of their bill? or vice versa, get one of your friends to pay some of your bill in exchange for taping games for him.

I find streaming games online to not even be worth it, it's just a headache and you constantly have to keep closing pop up ads and hitting the play button every time it lags/randomly stops.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1742 on: July 11, 2012, 09:55:30 AM »
do you not have friends that also watch it? only one of my friends/teammates actually has a full cable package that includes virtually any game one could possibly want to watch, and he has no problem recording games if you ask him to. If you don't have any friends that generous, just offer to pay a fraction of their bill? or vice versa, get one of your friends to pay some of your bill in exchange for taping games for him.

I find streaming games online to not even be worth it, it's just a headache and you constantly have to keep closing pop up ads and hitting the play button every time it lags/randomly stops.

Not really.  I used to have a bunch who were into it at college but most of my friends in the midwest either only like skateboarding or are completely anti-football.

I was thinking of using your idea at my parents place though.  Cable just doesn't seem worth it to me.  I'll pay for their dvr and sports package at their condo.  Perfect.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:05:49 AM by chockfullofthat »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1743 on: July 16, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #1744 on: July 16, 2012, 03:08:14 PM »

This is a totally ridiculous situation. I understand the ins and outs but its mental to see Rangers in the 3rd division. The average away support for Rangers is more than the capacity of most the other grounds. There is going to be some serious policing issues. I remember a real good riot at an Aberdeen v Rangers game about 25 years ago.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1745 on: July 16, 2012, 03:40:28 PM »
Too bad this won't do anything for Scottish football. In three years they'll be back in the premiership and all other clubs (Celtic excluded, obvs) will still be fighting over table scraps.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1746 on: July 16, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »
It does give a little more money to the small clubs and other teams in the SPL a chance at winning maybe something but to be honest Scottish football has been fucked for a long time. This aint the first time there was no team at the Euros.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1747 on: July 16, 2012, 05:00:45 PM »
The craziest part of it for me was seeing several football analysts say that "justice was done" in this case by demoting them to the third division. Frankly I don't see how the complete humiliation of the club and its entire fanbase serves as a just punishment for the actions of a few arrogant, short-sighted boardroom wankers who will most likely get off with a middling fine and a slap on the wrist.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1748 on: July 17, 2012, 12:19:20 AM »
The craziest part of it for me was seeing several football analysts say that "justice was done" in this case by demoting them to the third division. Frankly I don't see how the complete humiliation of the club and its entire fanbase serves as a just punishment for the actions of a few arrogant, short-sighted boardroom wankers who will most likely get off with a middling fine and a slap on the wrist.
Think its also gpot a shit load to do with the HRMC. To be able to let someone have something 20 million in debt in taxes is mental. If I was a week behind in paying my tax I get red letters from them. Seems footy teams are safe from all the rules that every other business has to adhere to.
Definately think the "justice was done" thing is formed out of an underlying bitterness. Gretna(?), I think, got relegated to the 3rd after going bust so maybe they are trying to be consistent. That being said the SFA left it up to the other teams.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1749 on: July 17, 2012, 06:13:47 AM »
I don't really fully understand the difference between Rangers situation and Manchester United's (for example) situation.  Man U has hundred of millions of debt.  Is it something to do with not be able to pay taxes or interest on time?

mds

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1750 on: July 17, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »
sopcast and bloodzeed streams worked perfect for me last season

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1751 on: July 20, 2012, 09:00:48 AM »
SLAP Pals Fantasy Premier League 2012/13!

http://www.premierleague.com/

Join code: 68197-22731

8)

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1752 on: July 20, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »
Down.  I'm taking this!!

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1753 on: July 20, 2012, 01:19:34 PM »
Done been joined.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #1754 on: July 20, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
Joined.  First time playing.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1755 on: August 03, 2012, 06:12:38 AM »
I'm stoked about this Cazorla business guys, not gonna lie.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1756 on: August 03, 2012, 06:36:36 AM »
I'm stoked about this Cazorla business guys, not gonna lie.

Where is he going to play?  The name sounds familiar but I can't remember seeing him much.  I don't watch enough La Liga, because the commentator is garbage over here on Gol TV.  Also how are Arsenal fans reacting to Giroud and Podolski not being ready for the start of the season?  I don't understand that at all.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1757 on: August 03, 2012, 07:02:36 AM »
It's funny that you brought up Arsenal, because that's apparently where he's going.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1758 on: August 03, 2012, 07:04:39 AM »
Haha, that was poorly worded.  I knew that, I meant what position is he going to play.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1759 on: August 03, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »
Buy now, think later! hah, but seriously, I believe he could play all along the midfield and out wide on either wing, I could be wrong. I don't know a goddamm thing about either Cazorla or Sahin, but they're new and shiny and I'm an idiot.

Arsenal are looking very congested in the wings and midfield actually. Gervinho, Walcott, Ox, Miyaichi, Podolski could play out wide on the left too. They got options for days in that regard.

But this bit about Podolski and Giroud not being ready for the start of the campaign doesn't really sit well with me, I very much would like to see them play.

Actually, this Cazorla shit isn't even a sure thing yet

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1760 on: August 03, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »
Cazorla would be a good buy, partly because he can sub for either walcott or gervinho when they're playing like crap. Can't see "Ox" getting much playing time in such a setup unless he continuously gets better. Maybe Arsene's preparing to sell off Walcott when his contract's over, who knows?

Sahin was player of the year in the Bundesliga in 2011, but has barely played a minute for Real Madrid so uhh..... there's that. They seem to have acquired an awful lot of "decent" midfielders, I guess in the hopes that one or two of them will turn out to be better than "decent".

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1761 on: August 12, 2012, 03:14:38 AM »
SLAP Pals Fantasy Premier League 2012/13!

http://www.premierleague.com/

Join code: 68197-22731

8)
Bump

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #1762 on: August 12, 2012, 04:48:46 AM »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1763 on: August 13, 2012, 07:18:18 AM »
So who's who?

ALT - De Mauvaise Qualité
chockfullofthat - Big Ole Tiki Takas
Brycickle
whale - Whale United
Decreed Brattons
mds - wonderfart
weedpop - West Egg United

QUEENS*Bridge HNL FC - ???
A-Team - ???
Rainbow Butt Monkeys - ???

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:30:10 PM by chockfullofthat »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1764 on: August 13, 2012, 08:23:42 AM »
Duuuuude...I just realized that I have class from 8am til 3, then work til 2am on opening day. Good thing I have dvr. Goodbye Sunday.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1765 on: August 13, 2012, 10:04:26 AM »
Anyone watch the Community Shield yesterday? It was pretty good.

I'm gonna take a risk and buy Torres for my team. Not too sure about Hazard though.

mds

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1766 on: August 13, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »
wonderfart thats my Team and hazards backheel was nice

ALT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1767 on: August 13, 2012, 01:29:58 PM »
hahaha

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1768 on: August 13, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »
Just joined the SLAP fantasy league. Hopefully I can repeat my success from the Euros, even though I only won that time becausepeople forgot to reset their teams for the final.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1769 on: August 14, 2012, 03:15:23 PM »
Whale UTD here