Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464674 times)

ALT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

penguin meat

Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #1771 on: August 15, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »
Probably going to miss opening day because I'll be at a rifle range, but sunday I'll be going to a Red Bulls game.  Never been to an MLS game before.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #1772 on: August 15, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »
Unfortunately the United fixture at the Emirates is a long time from now.  I expect them to win the league now.

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1773 on: August 15, 2012, 03:01:20 PM »
whats going to happen with berby, welbeck, and chicharito? seems dumb to keep all of them, especially when they could def use the money to strengthen other areas of the team that could use some help

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #1774 on: August 15, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7992947/United-agree-RVP-deal

:-\
?20 mill for four years at 29 years old. Seems odd, yes he is blatantly fucking ace at footie but he aint getting any younger. This will be his retirement fund.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1775 on: August 15, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »
whats going to happen with berby, welbeck, and chicharito? seems dumb to keep all of them, especially when they could def use the money to strengthen other areas of the team that could use some help

I have no idea why they would spend this money on RVP rather than bringing in someone to replace their dinosaurs in central midfield. I really don't think this signing "puts them over the top" to win the league or anything like that; city still has the better squad with fewer positional weaknesses, and there's a lot more competition within the top 6 clubs this season. If he stays fit though, it could develop into a brilliant partnership with him and Rooney. We'll see.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1776 on: August 15, 2012, 06:43:17 PM »
Don't forget that Vidic, Cleverly and Fletcher are back.  Kagawa should be alright, and they still have Nani and Valencia.  City won b 0 or 1 points last year, those players+RVP put them over the edge in my opinion.  The City dressing room is going to be toxic this year.  Kolo has already kicked off the shenanigans.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1777 on: August 15, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
Tim Howard is a fucking man.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

prettybird

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1778 on: August 15, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »
Tim Howard is a fucking man.
Absolute truth. plus he played the entire game being blinded by stupid fans with laser pointers.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1779 on: August 15, 2012, 09:26:31 PM »
I'm just glad that this RvP business is done and over with. Have fun with your 24 million pound purchase.

Not much to do about it, just gonna sit back and enjoy the rest of the transfer window + season. Should be very interesting.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1780 on: August 15, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »

:'(

norrin radd

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1781 on: August 15, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
Van Persie you bastard. I'm not saying that he's irreplaceable but damn, it just looks bad for Arsenal. I like the team but it's just not as strong as the other top team, including Spurs  :-\.

The ideal starting 11 could be strong, plus overall the team has pace to burn and we still have Vermalean. Expecting big things from him this year if he's healthy.

GK - Sczeney
RB- Sagna
CB- Mertesacker
CB- Vermalean
LB- Gibbs
DM- Song
CM- Ramsey
CAM- Wilshire
LW- Podolski
RW- Walcott
ST- Giroud

That still leaves:
Arteta
Diaby
Gervinho
Kolscieny
Ox-Chambrelain
Arshavin
Carzola

To rotate in.

BTW I'm FC Marinero in the SPFL

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1782 on: August 16, 2012, 12:53:20 AM »
Song might be leaving so throw arteta in there (he's much better at this stage than Ramsey in my opinion), and get fucking Per Mertesacker out of there too. The only time last season Arsenal's defense didn't look like a walking train wreck was after he got injured.

Vermaelen  has a tendency to step up and leave space behind him in defense so it's no use having Per's slow ass there trying to cover for him. I'd bet Cazorla's going to get starts this season too.

Spurs won't be faring any better to be honest if they lose both Adebayor and Modric.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1783 on: August 16, 2012, 06:19:19 AM »
Could this be the season where Diaby becomes Arsenal's Yaya Toure!? I'm not holding my breath, but the notion certainly excites. Realistically, the man is made out of glass.

Wilshere isn't even a sure thing either, the guy would be coming back in like October after a long ass time off the pitch.

I refuse to be a doom and gloom Arsenal supporter though

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1784 on: August 16, 2012, 06:23:48 AM »
as a barca fan, I have no fucking clue why we are signing song. on the other hand, i am extremely pleased with having signed jordi alba.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1785 on: August 16, 2012, 06:31:19 AM »
Still wondering who these players are:

QUEENS*Bridge HNL FC -
Rainbow Butt Monkeys -
Innsmouth FC -

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #1786 on: August 16, 2012, 07:50:24 AM »
I'm Innsmouth. Though I should warn you, I usually forget about it completely some time around the middle of the season.

Also NASL is so silly.

World Record Night

On Saturday, Aug. 25, Strikers' themed sunglasses will be distributed to fans as they enter Lockhart Stadium while supplies last. The current world record for the most people wearing sunglasses in the dark is 1,642 and was set at Wrigley Field, in Chicago on July 6, 2012.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #1787 on: August 16, 2012, 05:16:10 PM »
You can tell Wenger really didn't want to sell RvP to Man U and were hoping Juventus or another club with a lot of dough would meet Arsenal's asking price.  Time was running out and had to pull the trigger or RvP's stock would have dropped significantly if they tried to transfer him come January.

5barsdeep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1788 on: August 16, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »
So glad arsenal is going in the dumps. Van persie is overrated but he will score at United. Stoked Newcastle signed Anita. Looking forward to them improving again, even as their talent gets poached. So stoked on the US beating Mexico. Howard is a beast.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #1789 on: August 17, 2012, 05:23:57 AM »
i just joined the league as the p men, sort of obvious haha
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1790 on: August 17, 2012, 06:40:31 AM »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1135672/arsene-wenger:-song-could-leave;-vermaelen-captain?cc=5901

If there's one thing to take from this article, it's that the Ox has been moved (back) to what is I believe his preferred position in central midfield.

Stoked.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #1791 on: August 17, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »
this epl season is gonna be goooooood. cant wait til tomorrow. guess ill just give my shitty opinion on some things...
syked rvp deal is done. was it like the dwight howard saga for yall in england? dont think its looking good for arsenal, or chelsea at all tho. im hoping jack wilshire blows minds when he comes back. dudes a talent for sure. chelsea only has torres up front, and chelsea had a bid for chicharito rejected... they gotta get someone else up there... manu is going to be an offensive machine this season obv, but i am curious as to where berbatov stands. i mean, dude didnt play at all last year, but when he did, he always looked decent. think he would be comfortable in italy.

backing liverpool, so i gots to talk about them making moves. sorry.... buuut this fabio borini guy looked pretty good in the few preseason games i saw. def digging his style, especially if its him and suarez up front rather than andy carroll (who will hopefully leave soon). they just signed this kid from moracco, oussama asaidi, played in the dutch league, and looks good (homo) from what ive seen. ive been checking a handful of sportsblogs over and over today hoping that nuri sahin, or clint dempsey will be signed before tomorrow. i kindof lost hope for dempsey over these past couple weeks, but today it was posted that he is refusing to play/practice with fulham, mentioning that hes linked with liverpool etc. cant say enough about that dude nuri sahin. last year he was on the bench/injured so he didnt get much playing time with madrid, but when he played for dortmund, he looked amazing. lpool also looking to sign a winger from barca, christian tello. young, and def looks promising.

in conclusion, liverpool are going to surprise a lot of people. new coach trying to play possession type soccer/football, and as long as danny agger stays put (barca/man city looking to sign him), it will be a good year. 33:1 odds on them. may have to put some $ up.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #1792 on: August 17, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »
Berbatov is out even more than last season.  I feel bad for Chicharito.  That guy is too good to be sitting on a bench.  Nani will probably see less playing time also.  The more I think about it, the more this RvP move seems to be about 2 things.  Of course they want to win back the league form Man C and they know they can't fall behind.  But I also think this is to boost their value in the stock market.  I mean a holding midfielder or another defender might be more practical, but RvP has star power to sell more jerseys etc.  They're probably favorites to win the league now, but I still think they'll have a problem in the Champions League.  Great up front, but average in the back.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1793 on: August 17, 2012, 02:47:48 PM »
Dempsey to Liverpool? Fuck yeah if happens

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #1794 on: August 17, 2012, 03:23:04 PM »
Berbatov is out even more than last season.  I feel bad for Chicharito.  That guy is too good to be sitting on a bench.  Nani will probably see less playing time also.  The more I think about it, the more this RvP move seems to be about 2 things.  Of course they want to win back the league form Man C and they know they can't fall behind.  But I also think this is to boost their value in the stock market.  I mean a holding midfielder or another defender might be more practical, but RvP has star power to sell more jerseys etc.  They're probably favorites to win the league now, but I still think they'll have a problem in the Champions League.  Great up front, but average in the back.

not with vidic returning, and i'm predicting phil jones to have a great season this year
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #1795 on: August 17, 2012, 03:55:36 PM »
Dempsey to Liverpool? Fuck yeah if happens
That would make me a happy man.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1796 on: August 17, 2012, 03:57:57 PM »
As an American Chelsea fan, idk what I'd hate seeing more.  Dempsey on Liverpool or Chicharito on Chelsea.  I guess I'd be somewhat proud of Dempsey but it would be hard to wish him success.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1797 on: August 17, 2012, 04:48:55 PM »
dont think its looking good for arsenal, or chelsea at all tho.
I'm looking forward to watching Arsenal play this season with Santi Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud, especially Podolski. I don't think things are looking that bad for them.

I'm not sure about Chelsea though. Torres is gonna have to come through this season. And I'm not sure about Hazard.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1798 on: August 17, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »
Once he's settled Hazard should really be able to deliver.  I think he's a far better player than Arsenal's new signings.  I haven't seen a lot of Carzola though.  I'm a little surprised at how pessimistic Chelsea fans and pundits are.  If Torres can't deliver I'm sure Abromovich will do something in January.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #1799 on: August 17, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »
Expand Quote
dont think its looking good for arsenal, or chelsea at all tho.
[close]
I'm looking forward to watching Arsenal play this season with Santi Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud, especially Podolski. I don't think things are looking that bad for them.

I'm not sure about Chelsea though. Torres is gonna have to come through this season. And I'm not sure about Hazard.

youre right. forgot about podolski completely. hopefully song stays. i mean, im praising liverpool in a rebuilding stage, so i shouldnt say its looking bad.