Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464304 times)

weedpop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #1800 on: August 17, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »
Song is all but gone and I don't think any of Arsenal's new signings are good enough to elevate them any further than 3rd or 4th this year. Chelsea's squad has tons of potential but also a lot of uncertainty. Remember, this is the real beginning of the rebuilding process that was put off last season in order to compete for trophies.

As for Liverpool, I think the best they can hope for is just to finish above Everton this year. They probably won't get Dempsey because of a lack of funds, which sucks. I feel bad for the guy actually; Fulham are going to try to get as big a fee as they can out of him because of how old he is and the length of time he's been with the club, but I don't think he really has the rep across Europe to command a $20 million + transfer fee (partly due to being American and partly due to having only played for Fulham).

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #1801 on: August 17, 2012, 06:59:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Berbatov is out even more than last season.  I feel bad for Chicharito.  That guy is too good to be sitting on a bench.  Nani will probably see less playing time also.  The more I think about it, the more this RvP move seems to be about 2 things.  Of course they want to win back the league form Man C and they know they can't fall behind.  But I also think this is to boost their value in the stock market.  I mean a holding midfielder or another defender might be more practical, but RvP has star power to sell more jerseys etc.  They're probably favorites to win the league now, but I still think they'll have a problem in the Champions League.  Great up front, but average in the back.
[close]

not with vidic returning, and i'm predicting phil jones to have a great season this year
I'll give you Vidic, but he's coming back from injury and will take some time.  Jones ehh okay, but not great IMO.  Evans?  Don't think so. Rafael sucked at the Olympics and pretty much caused Brazil to lose in the final.  Ferdinand is aging and so is Evra.  Not nearly on the same level as they used to be.  Like I said they'll probably win the EPL, but CL and Europa L last year they were awful.  They might need to try to just outscore teams.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1802 on: August 18, 2012, 12:00:57 AM »
Song is all but gone and I don't think any of Arsenal's new signings are good enough to elevate them any further than 3rd or 4th this year. Chelsea's squad has tons of potential but also a lot of uncertainty. Remember, this is the real beginning of the rebuilding process that was put off last season in order to compete for trophies.

As for Liverpool, I think the best they can hope for is just to finish above Everton this year.
They probably won't get Dempsey because of a lack of funds, which sucks. I feel bad for the guy actually; Fulham are going to try to get as big a fee as they can out of him because of how old he is and the length of time he's been with the club, but I don't think he really has the rep across Europe to command a $20 million + transfer fee (partly due to being American and partly due to having only played for Fulham).

If everything clicks I don't think there's any real reason to suggest they can't put themselves in contention for a CL spot. Still quite a ways off competing for the league but there's been a ton of forward progress filling the gaps in the squad. If Sahin signs on for the year it'll be a pretty solid looking team, I don't think they're too far behind Arsenal at this point, honestly.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1803 on: August 18, 2012, 02:55:35 AM »
I really wanna believe in Brendan Rodgers ability to turn Liverpool into an upgraded version of swansea (suarez > danny graham) but the image of andy carroll's sweaty forehead recieving endless long balls is burned on my retina.

I actually hadn't read about his new signings either so things look better than I thought. I was gonna say that Wenger should try to get a player like Tello (or some young striker) as part of the Alex Song deal. Sahin might go to liverpool cause Mourinho and Rodgers are budz.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #1804 on: August 18, 2012, 06:12:40 AM »
I really wanna believe in Brendan Rodgers ability to turn Liverpool into an upgraded version of swansea (suarez > danny graham) but the image of andy carroll's sweaty forehead recieving endless long balls is burned on my retina.

I actually hadn't read about his new signings either so things look better than I thought. I was gonna say that Wenger should try to get a player like Tello (or some young striker) as part of the Alex Song deal. Sahin might go to liverpool cause Mourinho and Rodgers are budz.

Word was Tello was on for a loan to Liverpool. Not sure if anything came from it.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #1805 on: August 18, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »
Tello's still working on it, the press were saying that wouldn't be wrapped up until Sahin was decided one way or the other. But I think the Sahin thing is only going to be finalized once Modric leaves Tottenham, which is turning into yet another drawn out transfer saga.

Did sign Oussama Assaidi from Heerenveen, young Moroccan international. Good cover on the wing, and went through with literally nobody getting word out.  

Edit: There's my pre-season optimism shattered then. Didn't catch the second half but by all accounts I'm better for it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:18:03 AM by Mooley »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #1806 on: August 18, 2012, 09:22:08 AM »
Ha Spike, I just watched that movie in your sig for the first time yesterday.  That dude was cracking me up.  He was pretty much the same character from Wayne's World 2.

Holy Shit Swansea.  That's a fucking statement right there.

5barsdeep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1807 on: August 18, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
Joined the league im the A Siders

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #1808 on: August 18, 2012, 02:47:35 PM »
Loving this! Sorry if ABP.

"Tony Hibbert had never scored for Everton, until the night of his own testimonial match! Although not a competitive match, Everton dominated and were winning 3-1 until the 54th minute, when the unthinkable happened. Everton fans had long claimed that if Tony was to ever score, they would riot! And they certainly did!"

The view from the stand

Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1809 on: August 18, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Ha Spike, I just watched that movie in your sig for the first time yesterday.  That dude was cracking me up.  He was pretty much the same character from Wayne's World 2.

Holy Shit Swansea.  That's a fucking statement right there.
Danny is a rad character, 5 years before Waynes World 2 and still playing the same character. Withnail is based on a true tale. Fucked up. Almost as fucked up as Swansea and Liverpools ultimate shit start.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #1810 on: August 19, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »
well i guess ill shutup now.... no more liverpool praise, ha! and nuri sahin is most likely going to sign with arsenal. fml.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1811 on: August 19, 2012, 03:22:04 PM »
Some good opening games this weekend.

Fulham, Swansea and West Brom were great.

Santi Cazorla was looking really good and so was Hazard. I'm looking forward to watching more from those two.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1812 on: August 20, 2012, 06:30:35 AM »

Look at Lukaku just tear through Liverpool. This dude is an absolute animal! Chelsea are seriously chumps for loaning him out. But if it means I get to see him play more often then so be it, I'll definitely try to catch some West Brom games

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1813 on: August 20, 2012, 06:42:35 AM »

Look at Lukaku just tear through Liverpool. This dude is an absolute animal! Chelsea are seriously chumps for loaning him out. But if it means I get to see him play more often then so be it, I'll definitely try to catch some West Brom games

That has my smiling ear to ear.  We'll see though.  I wasn't too impressed with him when I saw him live in NYC.  He scored a great goal in Seattle.  I think the loan move is great for him.  He'll get regular starting time with a quality mid table side, imo. 

I've seen that Tony Hibbert thing before, too funny.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:47:07 AM by chockfullofthat »

penguin meat

« Reply #1814 on: August 20, 2012, 08:03:56 AM »
Went to yesterday's NY Red Bulls vs Portland Timbers game.  Couldn't ask for a better game for my first MLS experience.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #1815 on: August 20, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
Went to yesterday's NY Red Bulls vs Portland Timbers game.  Couldn't ask for a better game for my first MLS experience.

baaaah! so jealous. was supposed to go, but i got out of work a bit too late. great game.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1816 on: August 20, 2012, 09:28:13 AM »
How was Cahill's goal?  I still have to go to my annual MLS game.  I was probably going to see Fire vs Columbus.  Apparently we have a rivalry with Columbus??  Only in MLS I guess...I've seen a decent amount of supporters travel to their stadium on TV before.  Sometimes I wish USA was smaller, but not really.

mds

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1817 on: August 20, 2012, 10:50:13 AM »
Cant wait to see the Game tonight, Rooney and Rvp upfront, thats some scary shit :o

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1818 on: August 20, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
It should be good.

Hopefully Jelavic scores for the sake of my fantasy team.

I found a pretty good stream if anyone else cant watch it on TV.
http://watchpremierleague.net/live/livestream-3/channel-4/

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1819 on: August 20, 2012, 01:40:24 PM »
I'm about to pay $525 for a ticket to El Clasico at Camp Nou.  I'm sort of disgusted with myself.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1820 on: August 20, 2012, 01:46:06 PM »
You should be, imo...

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1821 on: August 20, 2012, 01:51:48 PM »
You should be, imo...

No game is worth that amount of money?  I wish it would have been some other game while I was in Barca....

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1822 on: August 20, 2012, 02:25:53 PM »
I'm about to pay $525 for a ticket to El Clasico at Camp Nou.  I'm sort of disgusted with myself.
Thats a bargain. A match you aint ver gonna forget

foureyedjim

« Reply #1823 on: August 21, 2012, 12:48:55 AM »
2:35  :o

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1824 on: August 21, 2012, 06:24:47 AM »
Went to yesterday's NY Red Bulls vs Portland Timbers game.  Couldn't ask for a better game for my first MLS experience.

lol nice did you see pep guardiola in the stands?

Expand Quote
You should be, imo...
[close]

No game is worth that amount of money?  I wish it would have been some other game while I was in Barca....

you are about to watch one of the best possible match ups in football, worth every penny. im fuckin jealous.

penguin meat

« Reply #1825 on: August 21, 2012, 08:45:21 AM »
How was Cahill's goal?  I still have to go to my annual MLS game.  I was probably going to see Fire vs Columbus.  Apparently we have a rivalry with Columbus??  Only in MLS I guess...I've seen a decent amount of supporters travel to their stadium on TV before.  Sometimes I wish USA was smaller, but not really.

Actually that was one of the big controversies of the game.  The ref blew the whistle for a handball before Cahill even took the shot, but then I guess the ref gave it to the Red Bulls because he'd been giving them really shitty calls all game.  The goal itself was just a well taken shot from pretty close range, like just inside the box, front and center, if I remember.
Expand Quote
[close]

No

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1826 on: August 22, 2012, 02:59:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Went to yesterday's NY Red Bulls vs Portland Timbers game.  Couldn't ask for a better game for my first MLS experience.
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You should be, imo...
[close]

No game is worth that amount of money?  I wish it would have been some other game while I was in Barca....
[close]

you are about to watch one of the best possible match ups in football, worth every penny. im fuckin jealous.

I just can't get used to the fact that football now is being played for rich people and advertising money. It's just so wrong. I know it's exiciting and all, but still...

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1827 on: August 22, 2012, 06:17:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Went to yesterday's NY Red Bulls vs Portland Timbers game. ? Couldn't ask for a better game for my first MLS experience.
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You should be, imo...
[close]

No game is worth that amount of money? ? I wish it would have been some other game while I was in Barca....
[close]

[close]

I just can't get used to the fact that football now is being played for rich people and advertising money. It's just so wrong. I know it's exiciting and all, but still...

I understand that perspective but it's half fueled by the supporter's own demands to stay competitive.  You can even see on the Cardiff rebranding link you posted that half of the supporters are fine with it because they want to win.  There's a price to be paid for loving the most popular sport on a planet of billions.

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1828 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You should be, imo...
[close]

[close]

[close]

man, it's a business, and like any other industry it is driven by supply and demand. since the games will still be sold out at those prices, it is only logical...

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1829 on: August 22, 2012, 01:44:54 PM »
From what I've seen so far, I would say that Eden Hazard is certainly living up to the hype. Oscar on the other hand, was more or less invisible during that match today