Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464671 times)

ALT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #1830 on: August 22, 2012, 01:47:23 PM »
Eden Hazard is an assist machine.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #1831 on: August 23, 2012, 11:28:02 AM »
What's the deal with QPR signing all these players?  Now they want Julio Cesar as well as Dawson and Carvalho.  Why the hell did you bring in Robert Green to replace Kenny?  It would be funny if they still got relegated come the end of this season.  Seems to me like they should have gone after a few quality players from the start instead of signing every dude that's out there.  Sorry but not a fan of Mark Hughes.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1832 on: August 23, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »
The owners are desperate for them to stay up.

Can't say I care for them or Mark Hughes.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #1833 on: August 23, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
Maybe all their activity has confused you as their signings are not all shit.  Look at this possible first team:

------------------Green/Cesar------------------
Bosignwa--Dawson--Ferdinand--Fabio
---------Park-------------Diakate----------
--Taarabt--------------------Hoilett------
----------Cisse-----A. Johnson/Zamora---

That's a mid table starting XI, easy.  If Mark Hughes can't get results, he'll have a hard time getting another job in the top flight.

This is too funny:
"Paddy Kenny allegedly sent abusive messages to QPR's technical director Mike Rigg and chairman Tony Fernandes over the weekend, forcing the west Londoners to make a formal complaint to Leeds United.
Kenny, 34, left Loftus Road in the summer after two years with the club to join former boss Neil Warnock at Elland Road, after it was made clear the he would be replaced at QPR.
Mark Hughes' new No.1 Rob Green endured a nightmare debut as the club lost 5-0 at home against Swansea on the opening day of the season and it is understood that Kenny sent abusive messages to Rigg and Fernandes late on Saturday night, and well into the early hours of Sunday morning.
It has also been alleged that Rigg went on to receive phone calls up until 3am.
Kenny recently found himself in hot water after describing QPR as a "tin pot club" on Twitter."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:27:01 PM by chockfullofthat »

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1834 on: August 23, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »
Are you still going to el clasico? and if so did you mean tonights?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1835 on: August 23, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »
Are you still going to el clasico? and if so did you mean tonights?

I'm going to the league match on October 7th.  The ticket was actually mailed from Spain yesterday which is strange.  I wouldn't think that they would have the ticket in hand this early.

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #1836 on: August 23, 2012, 12:51:21 PM »
Yeah there's some good players there.   I guess what I was trying to say that I don't like Hughes' style of throwing more money around just because they have it.  Last season they signed guys like Zamora, Barton, Wright-Phillps, Onuoha etc. and barley avoided relegation.  This off season they signed a lot of players and still got thrashed at home to Swansea on opening day.  Now because Green, who he just signed and the defense gave up so many goals they want to bring in Cesar and Dawson.  Maybe Hughes should think more carefully when signing players to start with.

Maybe all their activity has confused you as their signings are not all shit.  Look at this possible first team:

------------------Green/Cesar------------------
Bosignwa--Dawson--Ferdinand--Fabio
---------Park-------------Diakate----------
--Taarabt--------------------Hoilett------
----------Cisse-----A. Johnson/Zamora---

That's a mid table starting XI, easy.  If Mark Hughes can't get results, he'll have a hard time getting another job in the top flight.

This is too funny:
"Paddy Kenny allegedly sent abusive messages to QPR's technical director Mike Rigg and chairman Tony Fernandes over the weekend, forcing the west Londoners to make a formal complaint to Leeds United.
Kenny, 34, left Loftus Road in the summer after two years with the club to join former boss Neil Warnock at Elland Road, after it was made clear the he would be replaced at QPR.
Mark Hughes' new No.1 Rob Green endured a nightmare debut as the club lost 5-0 at home against Swansea on the opening day of the season and it is understood that Kenny sent abusive messages to Rigg and Fernandes late on Saturday night, and well into the early hours of Sunday morning.
It has also been alleged that Rigg went on to receive phone calls up until 3am.
Kenny recently found himself in hot water after describing QPR as a "tin pot club" on Twitter."

holden caulfield

« Reply #1837 on: August 23, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »
Anyone else watch el clasico? Mascherano's pass was a thing of beauty, and Iniesta is fucking ridiculous. and hooly fuck FUCK victor valdes he is fucking useless.

foureyedjim

« Reply #1838 on: August 23, 2012, 09:42:06 PM »
Anyone else watch el clasico? Mascherano's pass was a thing of beauty, and Iniesta is fucking ridiculous. and hooly fuck FUCK victor valdes he is fucking useless.

It's like he forgot he was playing.  But INIESTAAAAA that was a great play.
I passed on reviewing for a final to watch this game and I am happy that I did.

Pedro's goal...I think it was offsides, right?
It happened so fast after "CR7"s goal that nobody even contested it hahah

holden caulfield

« Reply #1839 on: August 24, 2012, 05:53:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's like he forgot he was playing.  But INIESTAAAAA that was a great play.
I passed on reviewing for a final to watch this game and I am happy that I did.

Pedro's goal...I think it was offsides, right?
It happened so fast after "CR7"s goal that nobody even contested it hahah

Iniesta, for me, is the most enjoyable player to watch, he is like Messi but more graceful, while Messi runs through people, Iniesta dances by them.

Pedro's goal may have been offside, but if so it was by like a millimeter, no way a linesman could have made that call. And yeah that was ridiculous, how many SECONDS went by between ronaldos goal and pedros?

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1840 on: August 24, 2012, 01:40:46 PM »
I wouldn't have called Pedro's goal offside. The camera angle they were showing on TV caused some distortion and made it look like he was leaning off, but I have no problem with the benefit of the doubt going to the attacker. That pass and the way Pedro controlled the ball were absolute perfection. That and Iniesta's moment for the third goal gave me goosebumps, for real.

I really hope Iniesta somehow beats out Messi and Ronaldo for the Ballon D'or this year. He is absolutely on top of his game right now and it would be a real shame if he retired without one of those trophies to his name.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1841 on: August 24, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »
I wouldn't have called Pedro's goal offside. The camera angle they were showing on TV caused some distortion and made it look like he was leaning off, but I have no problem with the benefit of the doubt going to the attacker. That pass and the way Pedro controlled the ball were absolute perfection. That and Iniesta's moment for the third goal gave me goosebumps, for real.

I really hope Iniesta somehow beats out Messi and Ronaldo for the Ballon D'or this year. He is absolutely on top of his game right now and it would be a real shame if he retired without one of those trophies to his name.

I'd be shocked if they didn't give it to Ronaldo.

foureyedjim

« Reply #1842 on: August 24, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

but in all seriousness, Ronaldo is a good player, but I don't know if he should get it or not
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:40:13 PM by foureyedjim »

foureyedjim

« Reply #1843 on: August 24, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »
and everyone saw this after the PK right? haha

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #1844 on: August 25, 2012, 06:35:13 AM »

I understand that perspective but it's half fueled by the supporter's own demands to stay competitive.  You can even see on the Cardiff rebranding link you posted that half of the supporters are fine with it because they want to win.  There's a price to be paid for loving the most popular sport on a planet of billions.

I'm pretty sure those same fans will be the first to stop visiting matches when their club gets relegated to the 4th division after filing for bankruptcy due to being millions in debt. The fans who's feet are firmly grounded in reality would surely rather have a healthy business model than have their club become some tycoon's toy.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

5barsdeep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1845 on: August 25, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »
Eden Hazard is an assist machine.

Two more against newcastle today. So bummed my boys got handled by chelsea.

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #1846 on: August 25, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »
You're hating your fantasy team at the moment if you had Aguero or Rooney.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1847 on: August 25, 2012, 03:13:24 PM »
I picked Aguero to start but I've already transferred him for Tevez. At the moment I'm just questioning why all my defenders are shit and wondering how I convinced myself not to pick Eden Hazard or Torres.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1848 on: August 25, 2012, 09:45:06 PM »
I'm over thinking as usual made some regular transfers for gw2.  I had to do something about Aguero tho. Got rid of him and Torres for Defoe and RVP. Defoe is looking like a real bad choice. Didn't do my hw on Rio too. It's a long season haha. I'm impressed with the some of the scores you've all been getting so far.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1849 on: August 26, 2012, 07:35:23 AM »
Eden Hazard is seriously something else. Just the way he moves with the ball and the chances he creates.

Him and Mata played so well together yesterday. This seasons looking good for Chelsea.

holden caulfield

« Reply #1850 on: August 26, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Why would Ronaldo win it? All he did was win La Liga, which is something a lot of other players can say too, like Iker Casillas, who also won the EUROS.

When Messi won it, he won la liga and champions league, and was the top scorer in Europe still.

I think Messi should still win it because i feel like the only way anyone will ever beat the goals record he just set is if he does it himself this season.

If not, Iniesta for sure because winning EUROS > winning La Liga. In the Euros they actually compete against more than one team. And if not him, Xavi then, just cause the guy fucking deserves some recognition.

The way I see it it goes:

Messi (INSANE record)
Casillas (La Liga AND EURO)
Iniesta (EURO)
Ronaldo (La Liga)
Xavi (EURO)

If not Messi, I just really feel like a spanish player deserves it because they should acknowledge the ridiculousness of winning EUROS, WC, EUROS back to back.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1851 on: August 26, 2012, 07:36:02 PM »
These past two Arsenal games have been...boring.

Looking forward to the game against Liverpool next weekend though.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1852 on: August 26, 2012, 09:45:32 PM »
That's what happens when you sell your two best attackers at the end beginning of every season. There's no foundation to build on so every time it's a new 'project' to bring the team back to the pinnacle of premier league mediocrity (3rd & 4th place). It's a shame because I like Arsenal. At least there haven't been any 8-2 s yet this season...

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #1853 on: August 27, 2012, 01:04:48 PM »
Entertaining game yesterday between Liverpool and Man City.  Everyone is blaming Skrtel for the draw because of that poor back pass.  It was poor, but I see it partly because of the new ball possession system Rodgers is trying to implement.  In years past  Pepe Reina probably punts that ball up the field instead of giving it to Skrtel or Skrtel kicks it up the field out of play.  The posession style will take a little time, but I think Liverpool fans should be excited.  It's a lot more watchable that's for sure.  Rodgers said they should have won, but on the flip side they were pretty lucky for that handball that was called on Rodwell which led to Suarez's goal too.  All in all I say a draw is what it should have been.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #1854 on: August 27, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »
I have RVP, Kagawa and Torres and I still went down to 10th this weekend.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

norrin radd

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1855 on: August 27, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »
had a banner week. hoping it keeps up but next week looks tough as chelsea isn't playing so i have to do something there.

one year, a handful of weeks in i was 192nd place in the whole competition, out of all 2 million plus players.

i'm in another league that plays for $$ so i'll be taking it a bit more serious than maybe some of the members of the SFL.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1856 on: August 28, 2012, 03:11:24 AM »
had a banner week. hoping it keeps up but next week looks tough as chelsea isn't playing so i have to do something there.

one year, a handful of weeks in i was 192nd place in the whole competition, out of all 2 million plus players.

i'm in another league that plays for $$ so i'll be taking it a bit more serious than maybe some of the members of the SFL.

We should get some sort of price for 1st place, photoshopped slap trophy atleast

ALT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1857 on: August 28, 2012, 05:17:16 AM »
This is what I'm worried about. I have three Chelsea players too. I really need Cazorla and Podolski to step it up this week.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1858 on: August 28, 2012, 08:04:18 AM »
I just took a 4 point hit replacing Rooney. I had already used my transfer to replace Dempsey.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1859 on: August 28, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »
I've been making transfers like an oil-rich sheik lately, so my already unimpressive points total has been docked quite a bit. I didn't do a final check of my team before the opening weekend so I had some injured dudes and ill advised choices in my squad. I'm pretty much just treating this first part of the season as a learning curb because I've never really done this before. I'm still convinced that good team management is only like 50% of success - the other 50% being up to luck.