Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464339 times)

Smell Good

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #2130 on: November 21, 2012, 05:51:58 AM »
Di Matteo sacked. What the fuck. Bad stretch of form = sacking? Does Abramovic think he owns a Serie A club or something?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #2131 on: November 21, 2012, 06:00:35 AM »
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2132 on: November 21, 2012, 06:13:18 AM »
I'm not surprised. Di Mateo wins Abromovich the one trophy he always wanted and the guy still can't catch a break.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #2133 on: November 21, 2012, 06:15:54 AM »
Don't you just love modern football?
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2134 on: November 21, 2012, 06:30:04 AM »
Seriously, nobody is going to want to manage Chelsea now, I guess if you were in it for the money and are more of the mercenary type like Mourinho (who's not expecting to permanently stay at one club) then yeah, those types will be attracted to Chelsea. But if you want to establish a philosophy and legacy with perhaps a statue of yourself in front of the stadium (Wenger, SAF)....

Hopefully Guardiola is a principled enough man to tell Abramovic to fuck off. It's looking like Rafa Benitez though

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2135 on: November 21, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »
Chelsea is such a silly, silly club to support.  Never a dull moment.  Meh, at least the trophies and top players keep coming in.

On the subject of modern football: http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/shocking-sportsmanship-luiz-adrianos-digraceful-first-goal-for-shakhtar-donetsk-at-nordsjaelland/#disqus_thread
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 08:10:17 AM by chockfullofthat »

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #2136 on: November 21, 2012, 10:42:11 AM »
I don't understand sacking RDM unless you had someone like Pep Guardiola already lined up.  Abromovich makes guys like George Steinbrenner and Al Davis look like fucking saints.  By the way you have Manchester City coming up at the weekend.  It doesn't bode well for that game either.

That was a straight asshole move by Adriano.  You could tell the Nordsjaelland players were just standing still and you still try to score.  When guys do that they should handle that shit like baseball players.  Maybe everyone get a hard tackle on him.  Maybe even a red card to take him out when the score was already out of hand.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:43:55 AM by Decreed Bratton »

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #2137 on: November 21, 2012, 11:09:04 AM »
Oh Chelsea...

I'm sure that the two weeks they have until their next Champion's League fixture will be more than enough time to find a new manager, school the players on his new tactics/system and totally reverse the bad run they're on, thus allowing them to qualify for the knockout stages. I mean, that's what the point of this firing was - wasn't it?

For christ sakes, the team they're playing next is Nordsjaelland, who I'm sure they could beat even in their current form, and either way qualification is pretty much out of their hands with Juventus and Shakhtar playing each other for top spot of the group, both already being 2 points ahead of Chelsea. And they're got a game against one of their major title competitors this weekend...great time for a shakeup isn't it?

I just want to know what effect this has on the players. Must be an interesting dressing room relationship when you're always fully expecting that your manager could be sacked any minute.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #2138 on: November 21, 2012, 11:42:38 AM »
That's hilarious.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2140 on: November 21, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2141 on: November 21, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »
Well, I guess Mexes is good for something...

I'm not surprised. Di Mateo wins Abromovich the one trophy he always wanted and the guy still can't catch a break.

The thing that I found most annoying about Chelsea's lucky champion's league win last year (apart from the fact that it was a big club like Chelsea who were the recipients of that luck) was that it seemed to validate Abramovich's seat-of-the-pants, "throw money at the problem and it'll go away" management style. You just know that, deep down in his twisted psyche, the guy now believes that this is unquestionably the best way to successfully manage a football club. I don't know if anything would have changed if Bayern won but AVB was in just as bad a situation as Di Matteo last year, and he got until March to turn it around instead of being sacked before December.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2142 on: November 21, 2012, 03:27:12 PM »
You have to look at every Chelsea sacking in the context of that years Champions League. AVB had just been all but knocked out by Napoli when he was sacked. Same thing with RDM.  Ancelotti was a dead man walking after Chelsea went out to Inter but he was given the chance to win the premier league again because Roman held him in high regard before he signed him.  Not getting out of the group stage is a massive failure in Roman's eyes and it will be hard to finance the Falcao move now while attempting to follow FFP.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #2143 on: November 22, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »
I guess Maya were right..fuckin hell!

video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2144 on: November 22, 2012, 02:33:10 PM »
ABP, bro.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2145 on: November 22, 2012, 08:39:27 PM »
I thought that Liverpool would be fucking those Young Boys. It would appear that the opposite was true.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2146 on: November 23, 2012, 07:16:38 AM »
QPR followed Chelsea's lead.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2147 on: December 01, 2012, 09:00:45 AM »
Ah yes, good ol' Arsenal.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2148 on: December 01, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »
How bout those blues too? 3-1 to west ham.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2149 on: December 01, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »
Nice to start off my morning with a loss to west broms and west hams. Shit fuck. At least it's warm enough to skate in Chicago today

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #2150 on: December 05, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »
? Group A: PSG, Porto

? Group B: Schalke, Arsenal

? Group C: Malaga, AC Milan

? Group D: Dortmund, Real Madrid

? Group E: Juventus, Shakhtar Donetsk

? Group F: Bayern Munich, Valencia

? Group G: Barcelona, Celtic

? Group H: Manchester United, Galatasaray

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2151 on: December 05, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »
For all those pundits claiming finishing first in the group isn't a big deal, try telling that to Arsenal now.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2152 on: December 05, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »
Any of you guys got Round of 16 draw predictions?

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #2153 on: December 05, 2012, 09:35:32 PM »
Not sure if it would happen but I wouldn't mind some of these match ups

PSG vs. Real Madrid
Dortmund vs. Arsenal
Man U vs. AC Milan
Schalke vs. Valencia
Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk
Bayern Munich vs. Porto
Juventus vs. Celtic
Malaga vs. Galatasaray

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2154 on: December 06, 2012, 06:17:32 AM »
Is the draw today?  Hope Real Madrid draws Munich, Man U, or Juve.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #2155 on: December 06, 2012, 07:51:58 AM »
I'm glad to see german football coming back although I'm not a supporter of any of these clubs.

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2156 on: December 06, 2012, 05:39:36 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

The thing that I found most annoying about Chelsea's lucky champion's league win last year (apart from the fact that it was a big club like Chelsea who were the recipients of that luck) was that it seemed to validate Abramovich's seat-of-the-pants, "throw money at the problem and it'll go away" management style. You just know that, deep down in his twisted psyche, the guy now believes that this is unquestionably the best way to successfully manage a football club. I don't know if anything would have changed if Bayern won but AVB was in just as bad a situation as Di Matteo last year, and he got until March to turn it around instead of being sacked before December.

you think abramovich liked the way it went down? hes happy they won, but was not happy about how they did it. he sacked di matteo because he spent a fuckload more on guys like hazzard and oscar and di matteo still plays defensivly and tries to park the bus. abramovich likes good football and thats what he expects, it's not ALL about results. for a team like celtic to play that way is one thing, for a team with the money and talent that chelsea has it is unacceptable.

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #2157 on: December 06, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you think abramovich liked the way it went down? hes happy they won, but was not happy about how they did it. he sacked di matteo because he spent a fuckload more on guys like hazzard and oscar and di matteo still plays defensivly and tries to park the bus. abramovich likes good football and thats what he expects, it's not ALL about results. for a team like celtic to play that way is one thing, for a team with the money and talent that chelsea has it is unacceptable.

Sorry I don't agree with you here.  Yes Di Matteo did play defensively last season when they won the CL, but this season has been anything but. I mean throwing on Mata, Oscar and Hazard all on at the same time isn't exactly playing defense.  These guys don't defend because they are concerned about going forward all the time.  To which pundits say that this was Di Matteo's downfall.  He should have taken off at least one of them and played more of a balanced approach to why Chelsea was on a bad run.  Abramovich's wet dream is to play like Barca, but you have to have the right players.  Not saying these guys are bad, but not all of them are suited for that style.  Not only that but Barca has Messi and nobody is Messi but Messi.

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2158 on: December 06, 2012, 08:42:32 PM »
Sorry I should have been more clear, I don't think Chelsea has played defensively in the PL, but in Champions League, and in particular against Juventus, they did, especially that second game. Can totally see why Abramovich would lose it over that, having just spent all that money on players.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2159 on: December 06, 2012, 11:12:08 PM »
I wasn't really talking about their playing style, but even in that regard Di Matteo was producing somewhat sexier football than AVB managed last year. Mostly I was just referring to the idea that Abramovich's tendency to sack the manager as soon as something doesn't go their way was seemingly validated with that Champion's League win, which will probably just mean that he feels more empowered to continue his revolving door policy into the future.

Against Juve I didn't think they "parked the bus" at all. I mean, they definitely were more defensive than they would have been against inferior teams in the EPL for example, but primarily I think they just got dominated tactically by Juventus, who have a really well balanced, effective system that takes away space and possession in midfield areas, which is where most of Chelsea's best players are. I guess Di Matteo has to take a lot of the responsibility for those sort of tactical weaknesses, but the guy is pretty much a novice coach at this level. I was surprised when they gave him a contract this summer to be honest.