Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464537 times)

Smell Good

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #2160 on: December 07, 2012, 05:49:19 AM »
The notion that Abramovich is some kind of football aesthete is ridiculous. Okay, there may be some truth to that, but I'm going to have to agree the general sentiment that he simply likes brand named, high profile managers.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #2161 on: December 07, 2012, 06:13:35 AM »
If Roman wants a Barcelona just buy Pep, Falcao, Neymar, Busquets and renew Ashley Cole's contract.  Simple and cheap.

Juve at 12-1 to win the Champions League.  I might but 10 on that.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #2162 on: December 07, 2012, 06:30:20 AM »
Is Busquets cheap, though? Genuine question, I'm uninformed...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2163 on: December 07, 2012, 06:35:36 AM »
No that was sarcasm.  I'd put him in the 16-22 mil range.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #2164 on: December 07, 2012, 01:23:50 PM »

Pep would probably require about 6-7 million a year in wages plus bonuses and stuff. Neymar I imagine wouldn't be let go without a transfer fee of at least 40-45 million, especially as a lot of brazillian players have 3rd party partial ownership deals which drive up prices. Falcao would probably also be around 40 million, and busquets probably at least 25 mil. All these guys would have to be paid too which means another 120 million and an even crazier wage bill and you still don't have a Barcelona.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2165 on: December 07, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »
There's in no way you could buy a barcelona team, half of the guys been training and playing together since they were kids!

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2166 on: December 07, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »
I was kidding, but perhaps that would be closer.  You're right about Sergio being at least 25 mil.

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2168 on: December 08, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »
Wow, 20 million pounds a season? It looks like I was well off with my guess. I wonder how much he'd be worth if he'd never managed a team with Messi, Iniesta, Xavi etc.

Anyway, it looks like Cazorla went and did an absolutely atrocious dive today, thus relinquishing his title of "most loveable spaniard in the premier league"

Look upon it and despair...

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2169 on: December 08, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »
It was a fine dive

I'm happy for the 3 points. Of course, the unsavory nature of the first penalty is going to marginalize the actual performance of the team (which was excellent).

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2170 on: December 09, 2012, 10:16:50 AM »
20 mill is the necessary amount to lure guardiola because he wouldnt otherwise manage a team in which he didnt have full control over. they are going to pay him a premium to basically put up with having less power/control.

however i agree that its ridiculous.  i mean fuck i could probably win la liga too if they made me barcelona coach...how hard can it honestly be? "ok boys just do what xavi says, and messi keep scoring 2 goals a game!"

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2171 on: December 10, 2012, 02:23:10 PM »

I'm not usually one to call for a manager to be sacked but honestly, someone get rid of this nonce. The guy is pretty tactically inept and has no fixed vision of how he wants his team to play. My perception may be a bit skewed due to the fact that I have Tevez in my fantasy team, but if he can't even recgonize that the aguero-tevez partnership is his best one up front (and the thing that pretty much saved their title run last season) then he doesn't deserve to be in control of such a huge amount of talent.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2172 on: December 10, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »
They've had really tough groups in the Champions League, I admit, but if you can't get out of the group stage with that calibre of talent in your squad... says it all really. He's just fortunate the Sheikh's more patient than Abramovich or he'd have met the chopping block already.

But speaking of patience, pretty psyched on Liverpool's turn of fortune as of late. For the lack of depth he's dealing with, Rodgers is certainly on the right track. 4 very winnable games coming up, could well be that they find themselves right back in the mix by the new year. 

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #2173 on: December 10, 2012, 03:53:14 PM »
Mancini does frustrate me with his tactics and who he decides to play at times.  Yes they have a lot of talented players, but he's trying to play a system that doesn't suit most of them.  They try to bring the ball up slowly, play it narrow and try to one two their way in almost like a Barca.  The thing is the guys on the team aren't as quality passers to play that with maybe the exception of Silva and Tevez (who he didn't start.)  Balotelli can't play that style.  Aguero can finish, but doesn't pass well.  Silva can pass well, but can't finish.  Nasri is invisible.  Yaya and Barry aren't meant for that either.  I can honestly see why Pep choose Busquets over Yaya in that system.  Yaya is great on the ball but his passing and defending aren't as good.  To me they are better off trying to get someone with pace and width (maybe use Sinclair more).  Use a natural winger instead of trying to have their side backs do it because for one the attack is slower with side backs and two that leaves them more exposed in the back.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2174 on: December 10, 2012, 07:01:31 PM »
Ya but for some reason Mancini "doesn't like wingers". The guy is just so stubborn and wrong-headed about so many things re: tactics, player selection, how to construct systems to fit your team. There's no way that City are going to be consistently compete with and win against really good teams in the champions league if they don't have a manager who can bring in some consistency (especially in team selections) and actually get the best out of the considerable resources they have.

I'm kind of excited about Liverpool too, Mooley. I used to like them a lot when I was a kid and its nice to know that they actually have a very competent manager/decent ownership situation now. They desperately need another striker and a creative attacking midfielder in January though (as well as a couple of full-backs, and some wingers who are better than the sum total of henderson and downing, but you can't do everything at once). If I was an old-school Liverpool fanatic I'd have some very conflicted feelings about Kenny Dalglish right now; 35 mil. on Andy Carroll, 20 mil. on Downing, and another 20 mil. on Henderson. It's just cruel that the guy that they bring in to rebuild the team still has to use the mediocrities left over from Dalglish's failed transfer strategy and is left with almost no money to buy players that HE actually feels he can use.  Can you imagine what Brendan Rogers could have done with almost 80 million pounds this summer?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2175 on: December 11, 2012, 05:01:19 AM »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2176 on: December 12, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »

Someone had to post it

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #2177 on: December 12, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »
That game was hilarious.

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #2178 on: December 13, 2012, 08:38:29 AM »
Ya but for some reason Mancini "doesn't like wingers". The guy is just so stubborn and wrong-headed about so many things re: tactics, player selection, how to construct systems to fit your team. There's no way that City are going to be consistently compete with and win against really good teams in the champions league if they don't have a manager who can bring in some consistency (especially in team selections) and actually get the best out of the considerable resources they have.

I'm kind of excited about Liverpool too, Mooley. I used to like them a lot when I was a kid and its nice to know that they actually have a very competent manager/decent ownership situation now. They desperately need another striker and a creative attacking midfielder in January though (as well as a couple of full-backs, and some wingers who are better than the sum total of henderson and downing, but you can't do everything at once). If I was an old-school Liverpool fanatic I'd have some very conflicted feelings about Kenny Dalglish right now; 35 mil. on Andy Carroll, 20 mil. on Downing, and another 20 mil. on Henderson. It's just cruel that the guy that they bring in to rebuild the team still has to use the mediocrities left over from Dalglish's failed transfer strategy and is left with almost no money to buy players that HE actually feels he can use.  Can you imagine what Brendan Rogers could have done with almost 80 million pounds this summer?

Mancini is a joke. I'm an Ajax fan and I was in the stadium during Ajax - Man city. One of the strenghts of ajax is keeping the playing field wide, with the full backs coming up. And mancity kept on keeping the field narrow, so the full backs of ajax could come up all the time. this resulted in 2 goals for Ajax, after that mancini didn't know what to do anymore and he brought in kolarov, balotelli an dzeko. so he played 424 with 4 strikers up front and kolarov to deliver crosses. Any coach could do this, such a dull strategy.

And for liverpool last year you're absolutely right. How many stupid transfers have they made last year. The thing Ajax does is they scout players from the age of 6 to 21 for a maximum of 1,5 million, the play in the youth and than they're play a few years in the first team. I hate to see them go, but in the Netherlands there is no money to compete with salaries in other countries.
Ibrahimovic, Sneijder, vd Vaart, vd Sar, Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Kluivert, Davids. and the list keeps on going an going. All from Ajax.  No there's a talent called viktor Fischer, an 18 year old Danish boy and in 5 years I see him with the best of the world. So talented.

Fischer had an brilliant assist and a goal against psv. 2 weeks ago. the blonde guy around 1:10

Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2179 on: December 13, 2012, 11:02:43 AM »

Dalglish's signings were pretty farcical, I definitely agree. Although Henderson's actually stepping up really well, overpriced though he was.

You have to be fair though and say that Rodgers fared no better in his first window. A net spend of 27m on Allen, Sahin's loan, Borini, Yesil and Assaidi. All players who either can't get a game, haven't lived up to their pricetag, or in Assaidi's case, have somehow ended up playing third fiddle to Joe fucking Cole and a 17 year old.

He's got a lot of pressure on him not to drop the ball when he finally signs the new striker that's so desperately needed.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2180 on: December 20, 2012, 05:57:55 AM »
Galatasaray v Schalke 04

Celtic v Juventus

Arsenal v Bayern Munich

Shakhtar Donetsk v Borussia Dortmund

AC Milan v Barcelona

Real Madrid v Manchester United

Valencia v PSG

Porto v Malaga

United's defense is going to break my heart again.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2181 on: December 20, 2012, 06:38:25 AM »
Galatasaray v Schalke 04

Celtic v Juventus

Arsenal v Bayern Munich

AC Milan v Barcelona

Valencia v PSG

Porto v Malaga

Zenit vs Liverpool and Tottenham vs Lyon in Europa look decent too
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:41:54 AM by chockfullofthat »

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2182 on: December 20, 2012, 07:22:02 AM »
Holding out for that Arsenal upset against Bayern.  ;D

I see that the first leg is in London, it's easy, just beat Bayern at the Emirates by like 20 goals and then it's easy street all the way  8)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:24:33 AM by Smell Good »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #2183 on: December 20, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
that schalke-galatasaray match will be instense.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2184 on: December 20, 2012, 12:25:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Galatasaray v Schalke 04

Celtic v Juventus

Arsenal v Bayern Munich

AC Milan v Barcelona

Valencia v PSG

Porto v Malaga

[close]

Zenit vs Liverpool and Tottenham vs Lyon in Europa look decent too

yup.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2185 on: December 20, 2012, 03:50:25 PM »
Pretty hyped, the only one that doesn't really interest me at all is Celtic-Juventus but who knows maybe it'll turn into another upset. All the Spanish teams' games should be entertaining as fuck.

Can't say I'm optimistic about Liverpool getting through, but maybe all this fan racism bullshit combining with their mid-season break will mean Zenit's not on their game.

It's a shame that we have to wait until February now for these.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2186 on: December 20, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
Zenit's been off their game all season so far. Hulk and Witsel coming in has really destroyed their cohesiveness and they're not producing enough to make up for the alienation of the rest of the team. If I was Hulk I'd be itching to get the fuck out of there already. Most of the squad was pretty much hating on him from the get-go and now he has to deal with the knowledge that the club's fans think he's not slavic enough to represent Zenit's "proud tradition" of institutional racism. Brutal stuff.

As far as champs league, I'm really looking forward to shakhtar vs. dortmund. Both exciting, high pressing, counter-attacking teams and both will be coming off a fairly extended winter break. Kind of sucks that they're facing each other in the first round though since I thought they could both go far. Arsenal and Man U are going to get punked, btw.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2187 on: December 21, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
Zenit's been off their game all season so far. Hulk and Witsel coming in has really destroyed their cohesiveness and they're not producing enough to make up for the alienation of the rest of the team. If I was Hulk I'd be itching to get the fuck out of there already. Most of the squad was pretty much hating on him from the get-go and now he has to deal with the knowledge that the club's fans think he's not slavic enough to represent Zenit's "proud tradition" of institutional racism. Brutal stuff.

As far as champs league, I'm really looking forward to shakhtar vs. dortmund. Both exciting, high pressing, counter-attacking teams and both will be coming off a fairly extended winter break. Kind of sucks that they're facing each other in the first round though since I thought they could both go far. Arsenal and Man U are going to get punked, btw.

Well the folks at The Guardian think you're a hipster for looking forward to that game.  Football Weekly anyone?

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2188 on: December 21, 2012, 10:52:40 AM »
I know what you mean by that - it's pretty fashionable to admire Borussia Dortmund these days.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2189 on: December 21, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »
Oh lord I just can't take this shit anymore.
Everybody and their mother is hyping Dortmund these days.
I mean i've been playing with them since Fifa 09 for fucks sake.

It's all about Neverkusen nowadays.