Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464382 times)

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #2190 on: December 21, 2012, 02:28:50 PM »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2191 on: December 21, 2012, 02:35:43 PM »
is there really an international hype for dortmund? didn't know that. goetze is a beast on a good day.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2192 on: December 21, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »
Well any team that breaks up the traditional monotony with a side full of exciting young players that got 14/18 points in one of the most difficult groups of all time is bound to raise a few eyebrows.  Plus those colors and that terrace?  I know I will be rooting for them now that Chelsea are out.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #2193 on: December 21, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »

I don't have anyone to talk to about football in real life so I wasn't aware of Dortmund's "hipster's darling" status. Just from seeing how the two teams have played so far who wouldn't be excited to watch that game?

I do think that Jurgen Klopp looks like a child molester though...

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2194 on: December 22, 2012, 07:36:23 AM »
In all seriousness, Dortmund is an exiting team and I'm confident theyll make it to last four atleast.
And Leverkusen has been great as of late, Hyypi? seems to do a really good job over there.
Both teams have a really hard time going above bayern in the bundesliga so i'd quess both teams eyes are pretty much fixed on euro-cups this year.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2195 on: December 23, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »

I don't have anyone to talk to about football in real life so I wasn't aware of Dortmund's "hipster's darling" status. Just from seeing how the two teams have played so far who wouldn't be excited to watch that game?

I do think that Jurgen Klopp looks like a child molester though...

Ya I was referencing this weeks Football Weekly podcast.  I'd suggest everyone check that out, I've been an obsessive listener for a couple years now.

Chelsea got me a nice early Christmas present.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2196 on: December 23, 2012, 11:58:20 AM »
I fucking hate Chelsea.

That being said, that was pretty fucking impressive.

I'll have to check that podcast out. I'm a fan of the ESPNFC podcast. Those guys are pretty amusing.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2197 on: December 23, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »
So, following Real Madrid's loss to Malaga yesterday, they're now 16 points behind Barca (with atletico only 9 points behind). In the Bundesliga Bayern are also 9 points ahead of Leverkeusen, and they've also got 12 on Dortmund. Juve are currently 8 points ahead of Lazio and look by far the most solid team in Italy. Despite having probably the lowest quality of play this season, it looks like the Premier League may have the only interesting title race going into the new year.

BTW, I reccomend that you all watch that malaga-madrid game if you can. Isco, Joaquin and Eliseu are all playing amazingly well right now; plus you get to see the final stake being driven into Mourinho's heart as they concede three with Casillas on the bench, if you're into that kind of thing.

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2198 on: December 23, 2012, 04:11:32 PM »
i was really excited about the man u - madrid tie but now that madrid is imploding it might not live up to expectations. meanwhile coach-less barca is on cruise control and pretty much have the league in the bag already.

on another note, does benitez really possess the key to Torres, or just coincidence?

foureyedjim

« Reply #2199 on: December 23, 2012, 04:27:03 PM »
So, following Real Madrid's loss to Malaga yesterday, they're now 16 points behind Barca (with atletico only 9 points behind). In the Bundesliga Bayern are also 9 points ahead of Leverkeusen, and they've also got 12 on Dortmund. Juve are currently 8 points ahead of Lazio and look by far the most solid team in Italy. Despite having probably the lowest quality of play this season, it looks like the Premier League may have the only interesting title race going into the new year.

BTW, I reccomend that you all watch that malaga-madrid game if you can. Isco, Joaquin and Eliseu are all playing amazingly well right now; plus you get to see the final stake being driven into Mourinho's heart as they concede three with Casillas on the bench, if you're into that kind of thing.

every goal malaga had looked great in comparison to Madrid's ugly first goal (but a goal nevertheless).

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2200 on: December 23, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
i was really excited about the man u - madrid tie but now that madrid is imploding it might not live up to expectations. meanwhile coach-less barca is on cruise control and pretty much have the league in the bag already.

on another note, does benitez really possess the key to Torres, or just coincidence?

Good question.

If Madrid are imploding it will only make for a more exciting tie because Madrid were miles ahead for the past few seasons IMO. I think Madrid will edge it.  Could be as good as Munich vs United was a few seasons ago

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #2201 on: December 23, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good question.

If Madrid are imploding it will only make for a more exciting tie because Madrid were miles ahead for the past few seasons IMO. I think Madrid will edge it.  Could be as good as Munich vs United was a few seasons ago

I just have a feeling that United will win it, like an inkling. Then united will get to the quarters or semi and crash and burn to either Barca or one of the fucking brilliant German teams
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2202 on: December 23, 2012, 08:28:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good question.

If Madrid are imploding it will only make for a more exciting tie because Madrid were miles ahead for the past few seasons IMO. I think Madrid will edge it.� Could be as good as Munich vs United was a few seasons ago

I still think Madrid will win the tie - they just have many more quality players who will probably be playing a little harder than usual since this is the only "big" trophy they can still win this season. Not to mention the fact that Marcelo/Coentrao could be healthy again by the time this takes place.

As for Torres, I think that the psychological impact of having a familiar (and spanish) manager to work with again could have been a big factor. However, he had been improving a bit this season and in general in the last two years has adapted his game to be better at the more physical parts of being a #9. He still doesn't have the ability to break past defenders, make space and shoot like he used to, which is what's holding him back from being the old Torres everyone wants him to be. I don't know how likely it is that he'll get that back either, since his problems seem to have started with him getting a ligament in his knee removed a couple years ago.

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #2203 on: December 24, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »

Larry David to coach Boca Juniors again!!!

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2204 on: December 24, 2012, 09:29:08 AM »
This will be their only formation:

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2205 on: December 24, 2012, 01:23:32 PM »
HAHA +1 to both of you I'm dying.

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #2206 on: December 25, 2012, 08:28:48 AM »

I'm from Holland and our competition is really close every year. nr. 5 has 5 points less than the leader.
Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

SZA

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2207 on: December 26, 2012, 10:15:25 PM »
United vs Newcastle!!

Best Boxing Day game ever! Fergies reaction when Hernandez scored was priceless! The amount of chances from both teams! Premier League at its best! I fear for united whenever Giggs and scholes call it a day, 2 of the best players ever, scholes especially!

THE GREATEST EVER!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:32:15 PM by SZA »

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2208 on: January 02, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »
Man, Liverpool must have absolutely CRUSHED Sunderland today, because my fantasy football feed is telling me that Raheem Sterling finished with 1303 points.

260 goals in 18 minutes of play? Not too bad. If he keeps this up for a few weeks I may actually be able to move into 9th place in the table...

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2209 on: January 03, 2013, 05:59:15 AM »
Hahaha.  That happened to me too.  Suarez had 784 points and I had Sterling.  I had a grand total of 2,143 points last gameweek.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2211 on: January 03, 2013, 08:52:04 AM »
It finally looks like there is an end to the horrorshow of Fernando Torres playing every game.  Rafa back to his old over rotating, risky squad selecting ways yesterday.  Everton keep winning.  The race for 3rd and 4th will be the best show in Europe next to the Champion's League unless United cool off (unlikely).

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #2212 on: January 03, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »
Ha!

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2213 on: January 03, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »
Big Baby Balotelli would make any manager want to pull his hair out. I think City would have moved him on already but they're probably worried about Mancini getting separation anxiety or something.

Oh, and yes, third place battle in the EPL is going to be fascinating. If West Brom, Arsenal and Liverpool improve a bit we could have about 6 teams competing for two spots. Hopefully there's lots of games between them towards the end of the season too.

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #2214 on: January 03, 2013, 06:27:28 PM »
United vs Newcastle!!

Best Boxing Day game ever! Fergies reaction when Hernandez scored was priceless! The amount of chances from both teams! Premier League at its best! I fear for united whenever Giggs and scholes call it a day, 2 of the best players ever, scholes especially!

THE GREATEST EVER!

Amazing left foot!
Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2215 on: January 03, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
I'm watching "Story of the FA Cup" on Fox Soccer and it makes me wish that Ronaldo still played of United.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2216 on: January 04, 2013, 03:51:59 AM »

dylandude

• Rep: -1
  • Skateboarding is so good for me
« Reply #2217 on: January 06, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
Heavy.
I hope Ronaldo gets some bloody sense knocked into him when he plays MAN U. in the Champions League.
I bet he won't be able to beat Evra as easily.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #2218 on: January 07, 2013, 07:29:14 AM »
Tough, tough flurry of games for Arsenal for the remainder of Jan.

In order:

-Manchester City
-Swansea
-Chelsea
-West Ham
-(Possibly) Brighton
-Liverpool

Let's do this.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2219 on: January 07, 2013, 07:32:07 AM »
Tough, tough flurry of games for Arsenal for the remainder of Jan.

In order:

-Manchester City
-Swansea
-Chelsea
-West Ham
-(Possibly) Brighton
-Liverpool

Let's do this.

You've left out Chelsea away