Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464748 times)

Smell Good

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #2220 on: January 07, 2013, 07:43:42 AM »
Edited the post, but I haven't missed an Arsenal game yet this season so, stoked that there's gonna be a ton of games to watch. Will they survive unscathed? One can hope.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #2221 on: January 07, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »
Any Spurs fans here?!

Im hoping to see Joao Moutinho and Leandro Damiao at WHL before the transfer window closes. We really need a striker, especially since there's a chance that Ade will leave for the Africa cup.

dylandude

• Rep: -1
  • Skateboarding is so good for me
« Reply #2222 on: January 08, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »
Chance?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20941373

Spurs need a new coach. You can't rely on the the left foot of the welsh man much longer.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #2223 on: January 08, 2013, 11:13:34 AM »
Spurs need a new coach. You can't rely on the the left foot of the welsh man much longer.

I disagree, you're talking about a young, exciting first year manager whose team have won 9 of 12 in all competitions.  He's had to deal with the sale of Modric and injuries to Parker and Dembele and his team are sitting in 3rd right now.  Their reliance on Bale is not as a big of a factor as you say and I'd say that Man United are more reliant on RVP than Spurs are on Bale.  I don't think anyone besides the Redknapp media mob would turn on AVB at this point.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #2224 on: January 08, 2013, 11:28:46 AM »
Same here.  I think AVB is doing as good a job as any right now.  To be sitting 3rd is as good as you can hope for.  Bale is good but Defoe and Lennon are also making Spurs play well in my opinion.  If you sold Bale at a high enough price you could get other good players in to do the job of the Welshman.  Man U without RvP would be a totally different team.  I said at the beginning of the season that Man U will have to outscore teams to win because their defence is shaky.  Without him they would have lost or drew a lot of games and dropped a lot of points. 

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2225 on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »
Quite jealous of the Lewis Holtby signing, myself. Sounds like that kid's something special.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #2226 on: January 08, 2013, 12:41:36 PM »
Chance?

Well, there you go. We need a new striker then.

And no.. AVB is just getting started. He's had a slow start, but as some of you are saying, we've had to deal with a lot of injuries on important players. Now we only need to get back Kaboul. Things are looking bright.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #2227 on: January 08, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »
Chance?

Please stop getting your football opinions from the dailymail. Bale has been injured/suspended multiple times this season, along with injuries to several other key players, and Spurs are still in 3rd playing good football. I don't see how this could even be characterized as a slow start really since I think most people would agree that the ceiling for this squad is probably 3rd or 4th place (finished 4th last year with Modric).

They do need a striker desperately, but I don't think Adebayor leaving is going to be that disastrous. If you saw their last game against Reading with both strikers playing they created chance after chance but couldn't finish any of them. Basically Adebayor looks totally isolated when Defoe is one the pitch because Defoe is useless at link up play and basically just shoots all the time. In my opinion they should try get a quick, skillfull forward in there (who can finish better than Defoe) and just keep one of the two as backup.

dylandude

« Reply #2228 on: January 08, 2013, 07:18:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Please stop getting your football opinions from the dailymail. Bale has been injured/suspended multiple times this season, along with injuries to several other key players, and Spurs are still in 3rd playing good football. I don't see how this could even be characterized as a slow start really since I think most people would agree that the ceiling for this squad is probably 3rd or 4th place (finished 4th last year with Modric).

They do need a striker desperately, but I don't think Adebayor leaving is going to be that disastrous. If you saw their last game against Reading with both strikers playing they created chance after chance but couldn't finish any of them. Basically Adebayor looks totally isolated when Defoe is one the pitch because Defoe is useless at link up play and basically just shoots all the time. In my opinion they should try get a quick, skillfull forward in there (who can finish better than Defoe) and just keep one of the two as backup.

Admit it. You don't want a Chelsea reject as your head coach (even though Chelsea has a Liverpool reject for a coach). Bale is the best thing Tottenham have going for them. Defoe is hot but he sucked for a while. Plus, he went to Portsmouth in 2008 are you just choosing to forget that? I'm stoked he has scored more goals than Teddy Sheringham but Sheringham was a boss. I like Tottenham a lot, Beckham almost played for Tottenham. However, I can't see them hanging on to 3rd or 4th and I can't see Villas Boas staying longer than a season. I hope Pep Guardiola decides to do something challenging and coach you guys in 13/14.

In any case, this: was a great game.

Ya'll know in your heart of hearts, all you Spurs, that you'd prefer Redknapp or some other english bro to a spanish fuck any day.

And the Spurs go marching on...  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:19:52 PM by dylandude »

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #2229 on: January 08, 2013, 09:51:07 PM »
1. I'm not a spurs fan, just a football fan.

2. Being English doesn't make you a good manager. The last time an English manager won the premiere league (keeping in mind Fergie is Scottish) was 1994-1995. The last time an English manager coached a European cup-winning side was in 1984.

3. I wouldn't care if a Chelsea reject or a Spaniard was managing my team, as long as he did a good job. Managing the biggest bunch of entitled twats in football history (with the exception of the current French national team) is a hard job. The phrase "chelsea reject" (AKA Roman's discarded toy) could also be used to describe Mourinho, Scolari, Ancelotti and Hiddink, all of whom are better managers than Harry Redknapp.

4. Fun fact: Villas Boas has also won more trophies in his career than Redknapp, despite only having coached professionally for about 4 years.

5. Never said that Defoe was that good, he's been lucky this season but he's getting older and his style of play makes no sense within their team. If I was in charge I would sign another striker and get rid of Defoe, as Adebayor is more skilled and can also be a threat in the air.

6. Yes that was a very good game.

dylandude

« Reply #2230 on: January 08, 2013, 11:48:31 PM »
1. I'm not a spurs fan, just a football fan.

2. Being English doesn't make you a good manager. The last time an English manager won the premiere league (keeping in mind Fergie is Scottish) was 1994-1995. The last time an English manager coached a European cup-winning side was in 1984.

3. I wouldn't care if a Chelsea reject or a Spaniard was managing my team, as long as he did a good job. Managing the biggest bunch of entitled twats in football history (with the exception of the current French national team) is a hard job. The phrase "chelsea reject" (AKA Roman's discarded toy) could also be used to describe Mourinho, Scolari, Ancelotti and Hiddink, all of whom are better managers than Harry Redknapp.

4. Fun fact: Villas Boas has also won more trophies in his career than Redknapp, despite only having coached professionally for about 4 years.

5. Never said that Defoe was that good, he's been lucky this season but he's getting older and his style of play makes no sense within their team. If I was in charge I would sign another striker and get rid of Defoe, as Adebayor is more skilled and can also be a threat in the air.

6. Yes that was a very good game.

Yeah, don't remind me about how sad an pathetic English coaches are. Not to mention the national team. 

I just liked Redknapp's vibe at Tottenham he took em further than most had taken them.

I pretty much hate Chelsea so it's hard for me to like Spurs right now without thinking of them as a sorta of mini Chelsea/Chelsea spin off.

I didn't know fun fact 4. That's pretty cool.

I Just wanna see Bale beat people from the half way line more often. I wish Villas Boas would center his tactics around that. I know it's never gonna happen. Imagine if Spurs got Walcott and Fellaini that'd be such a good team. Or Arsenal got Bale?

dylandude

« Reply #2231 on: January 12, 2013, 06:41:58 AM »
Tottenham couldn't front on QPR. Redknapp still knows what up. Big point for QPR. Tottenham had all the pressure.
What happened Spurs?

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2232 on: January 12, 2013, 08:28:51 AM »
Sahin to BVB for a season and half loan should be good (possible option to buy too I think). I really did take the Bundesliga for granted when it was on tv (pretty much only watched the odd derby match here and there). But I don't think Sahin is cup tied so we'll probably see him in the Champions League (maybe).

Wasted at Real Madrid. I don't follow Liverpool so I don't know what his role was there.

Also, it'd be lame as fuck if Sneijder went to Turkey to play his football. His wages are ridiculous.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2233 on: January 12, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
Wasted at Real Madrid. I don't follow Liverpool so I don't know what his role was there.

His role was to sit on the bench, get injured, and play out of position.  Nice job Rodgers.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2234 on: January 12, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
It's a competitive midfield and he didn't earn his spot. Whether it was fitness or training, who knows. Either way he's not needed, so I'm glad to see him off the wage bill, and I think Dortmund will be just what he needs. Although he's really going to have to fight to get back into favour there too -- Gundogan, Bender, Gotze, Gro?kreutz...  Well done Madrid for fucking another promising young player's development.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #2235 on: January 13, 2013, 09:04:14 AM »
What a bad day..they shouldn't have let him try the freekick

video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #2236 on: January 16, 2013, 08:02:59 AM »
so.. Pep's gone to Bayern! After all that speculation about Chelsea or Man City. Bayern are gonna rule the champions league the next few years. Maybe one day he'll come to Man United, i'd like to see that.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2237 on: January 16, 2013, 08:09:59 AM »
Bayern is such a fearsome powerhouse. It's a suitable club for Guardiola and a fuck of a lot more respectable than Chelsea.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2238 on: January 16, 2013, 08:16:25 AM »
Too bad that respect couldn't earn them the title in their own stadium.

dylandude

« Reply #2239 on: January 16, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »
so.. Pep's gone to Bayern! After all that speculation about Chelsea or Man City. Bayern are gonna rule the champions league the next few years. Maybe one day he'll come to Man United, i'd like to see that.

I hope he never comes to United. I sorta hoped he would have gone to Arsenal or Tottenham. Bayern is a good spot. I hope he does well.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2240 on: January 16, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hope he never comes to United. I sorta hoped he would have gone to Arsenal or Tottenham. Bayern is a good spot. I hope he does well.

Would have been way more interesting to see him at an English club with something to prove.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #2241 on: January 16, 2013, 11:33:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Would have been way more interesting to see him at an English club with something to prove.

Yeah it's a safe bet with Bayern.  You're the club with the most money in the Bundesliga and you're only other competition will probably be Dortmund for the most part.  I think Pep knew that it would be much harder to take on a EPL team knowing the title is never a guarantee because where ever you go there will be United, City and/or Chelsea right there with you.  Even a top 4 might not be a guarantee.  I also think he knows that Mourino might have followed him if he went to the EPL as well.  Mourino ain't going to the Bundesliga and even if he does won't have the resources at his disposal.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2242 on: January 19, 2013, 06:52:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah it's a safe bet with Bayern.  You're the club with the most money in the Bundesliga and you're only other competition will probably be Dortmund for the most part.  I think Pep knew that it would be much harder to take on a EPL team knowing the title is never a guarantee because where ever you go there will be United, City and/or Chelsea right there with you.  Even a top 4 might not be a guarantee.  I also think he knows that Mourino might have followed him if he went to the EPL as well.  Mourino ain't going to the Bundesliga and even if he does won't have the resources at his disposal.

I think the main reason for him choosing Bayern is that they're already playing a style of soccer that's very similar to his idea of the sport. Their midfield, i.e. Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Ribery, and Martinez is pretty good at securing the ball and are perfect fits for Pep's tiki-taka.

Also, Bayern is far from a safe bet. Dortmund is some really fucking strong competition for the German title (most points in all of Bundesliga history last season) and if you don't win the championship as a Bayern coach, you're pretty much screwed. Only reason Heynckes didn't get fired was that the Bayern bosses realized Dortmund was plainly and simply on some next level shit in the Bundesliga (plus Hoeness being friends with Heynckes).

On a side note, Mourinho said he'd love to coach a Bundesliga team one day but wouldn't ever do so without being fluent in German... We'll see how Pep manages language-wise... that will be his biggest pet peeve I believe...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:54:57 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2546
« Reply #2243 on: January 19, 2013, 09:01:59 AM »
It was hilarious reading an article in the Guardian about how it was dead certain that Guardiola was coming to England, and then reading the ones from the next day explaining why it was logical he took the Bayern job.

I doubt he was afraid of competition in th EPL. He already won so much with Barca that his confidence is probably as high as it gets.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2244 on: January 19, 2013, 10:36:25 AM »
Yea I'm pretty bummed on the English media on that one.  Apparently he's never even uttered the words Premier League since he left Barca, they were just reusing some quote he made about England after the 150th anniversary of the FA.  I want Moyses for Chelsea now, but it will not happen.

Piss poor quality but this goal is amazing
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:17:17 PM by chockfullofthat »

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2245 on: January 20, 2013, 06:19:17 AM »
Where are my Arsenal? Getting picked apart by Chelsea in the first half. Terrible to watch.

Nobody is rattling the fucking cages.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #2246 on: January 20, 2013, 07:32:57 AM »
this is the only thing I can contribute right now is this. glad that german football is gaining attention from the world best coaches again..

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2247 on: January 21, 2013, 10:09:15 AM »
Sahin to BVB for a season and half loan should be good (possible option to buy too I think). I really did take the Bundesliga for granted when it was on tv (pretty much only watched the odd derby match here and there). But I don't think Sahin is cup tied so we'll probably see him in the Champions League (maybe).

Also, it'd be lame as fuck if Sneijder went to Turkey to play his football. His wages are ridiculous.

i also took it for granted.

bummed/syked on sahins return to dortmund. i loved the idea of him at liverpool, but obv he wasnt meshing, and his injuries.

sneijder is in turkey right now undergoing a physical i believe. the only thing keeping him from going there was his wife. next club in line was liverpool i believe, but only if he took a paycut. would have loved that.

on a semi-related note, i have ongoing nightmares that im going to wake up and suarez will have signed for madrid, barca, man u, city etc. theres been a few light articles about a move in the future, but reading this sucks http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1307321/gerrard-fears-suarez-exit?cc=5901

also read that reina would be happy at barca, and valdes wants out... nooow, im a huge pepe reina fan, and will be bummed if he bounces, but if they just swap him for valdes, ill cry. valdes is, in my opinion, severely overrated.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2248 on: January 21, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »
Liverpool vs Arsenal is looking like a pretty massive game now.  Arsenal will be in real trouble if they can't get 3 points before the weekend.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2249 on: January 21, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »
Liverpool vs Arsenal is looking like a pretty massive game now.  Arsenal will be in real trouble if they can't get 3 points before the weekend.

cant wait!! i felt so disgusting routing for both manchester clubs this past weekend.

at work we were making the schedule for the next week, trying to figure out who would be working feb 3 (super bowl). i requested to work sunday night because lpool plays man city in the morning. so now its me and all spanish dudes at night, and all the white boys in the morning. considering all the spanish dudes straight TCB, its should be a smooooooth shift. no harbowl for me, but ill live.... if lpool win of course.