Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464623 times)

thepman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #2310 on: March 05, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
United were the better team in the first half, then started well in the second with the goal, then they had a decent control of the game with both teams getting some chances. Ref comes along with a terrible decision, and Madrid pounce. Ruined the game. United played superbly in the last 20 minutes too, had a lot of chances, Diego Alves made some great saves too. Refs shouldn't decide games.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2311 on: March 05, 2013, 02:49:40 PM »
jose mourinho:"the best team lost tonight."
amazing.

Plug_One

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2312 on: March 05, 2013, 03:13:34 PM »
Ahhhhh, i love it!

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #2313 on: March 05, 2013, 06:09:04 PM »
I feel bad for the ref. Everybody makes mistakes, especially on things like high foot calls which are extremely subjective; it just seems that he made one in the worst (most blown out, media saturated) game he possibly could have done it in.

It funny that this tie ended up completely overshadowing what I thought was going to be one of the most entertaining matchups of the whole season in Borussia Dortmund vs. Shakhtar Donetsk. Seriously, I don't even know what the score of that one was, even after perusing multiple football sites, yet I already know all about what was said in Mourinho's post-game press conference.

Oh, and shout out to Larry David for getting that Boca Juniors coaching job.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2314 on: March 05, 2013, 06:13:34 PM »
Expand Quote
jose mourinho:"the best team lost tonight."
[close]
amazing.

To be honest it just sounds like he's trying not to alienate big clubs in England because he knows it's where he wants to go when the Spanish media finally succeed in driving him out.

I'm also really confused why the red card is such a controversy... I get that a lot of people don't think it was worth a straight red, but if it's at least a yellow surely it's understandable that a ref would call it. I'd call that a red every time, 50/50 ball he lost out on and if losing out on a 50/50 ball means your studs in another guy's ribs, the outcome's never going to be a good one.

And all that aside, it's not like the ref put the ball in the net twice in 3 minutes.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2315 on: March 05, 2013, 06:55:44 PM »

If this didn't get a straight red, then Nani shouldn't have gotten a straight red.

And no, the ref didn't put the ball in the net, but he did set the stage for that to happen a lot more easily. Up until then United were really strong in their defending. The sending off took the air out of them and they weren't able to regroup fast enough. The ref also failed to call a Ramos handball in the box. In fairness to that though, Rafael got away with one too.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2316 on: March 05, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »
Watched the game this arvo, the red was deserved.. If you've ever played soccer there's no reason for your boot to connect with another player's upper body, diving like that for possession is reckless and unwarranted.. Lets just say worse calls get made everyday, it's mostly UK broadcasters causing a fuss about this anyways. Bottom line is UTD weren't prepared and offered little scoring threat, their only goal came off a RM player.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #2317 on: March 05, 2013, 08:47:26 PM »
I don't think you can compare the De Jong kick to Nani's.  I think everyone in their right mind knew De Jong's was a red.  I can only assume the ref didn't see it at that time.  Either that or the ref got paid off.  The Nani one is not as clear cut in my opinion.  The ref might have thought because Nani's foot was near Arbeloa's upper body/head he might have deemed it dangerous play.  There is nothing in the rules that says there has to be intent.  In my opinion it shouldn't have been a red because Nani's eyes are on the ball the entire time and doesn't know Arebeloa is there. However, the ref doesn't have the benefit of a thousand replays like the rest of us.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2318 on: March 06, 2013, 04:26:32 AM »
Who ever goes against Real in the quarterfinals will probably study the first half over and over again.
Wellbeck took Alonso out so well they looked clueless almost the whole time.

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #2319 on: March 06, 2013, 06:48:51 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/06/mario-balotelli-racist-remark-milan
Anyone seen this shit?

That's Italy for you.
dude just can't stay away from controversy, even in the unlikely event that he himself hasn't directly caused it. gotta admit though, he is the most entertaining person in world football.
"When I score, I don't celebrate because i'm doing my job. When a postman delivers letters, does he celebrate?"

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2320 on: March 06, 2013, 07:00:36 AM »
So... Dortmund is looking pretty good right now. Although one has to admit that Donezk had its fair share of chances Dortmund pretty much crushed them. Didn't expect the outcome to be as clear as it turned out. No matter which team they're playing in quarterfinals, they'll sure as hell give them a run for their money.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2321 on: March 06, 2013, 08:24:19 AM »
Expand Quote
dude just can't stay away from controversy, even in the unlikely event that he himself hasn't directly caused it. gotta admit though, he is the most entertaining person in world football.
"When I score, I don't celebrate because i'm doing my job. When a postman delivers letters, does he celebrate?"

Yes, yes they do.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #2322 on: March 06, 2013, 08:29:51 AM »
Imo, it was either a yellow or a red card. It's dangerous play, no doubt about it.

If this didn't get a straight red, then Nani shouldn't have gotten a straight red.

Was it the same ref?  Don't be silly.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:31:39 AM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2323 on: March 06, 2013, 08:42:24 AM »
No, it wasn't the same ref, but I don't think that it's silly to expect some kind of standard and consistency in how games are called. That's just one glaringly obvious example.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #2324 on: March 06, 2013, 09:31:38 AM »
Dortmund is a great team playing great football. I think what's separating them from the rest of the teams in Champions League is their lack of depth.

Their first string squad is pretty much their only string. When you compare their bench to Bayern/Milan/Juventus/Barca/Madrid - it's not even a question. But if there was a horse in the race that I was backing, it'd be them (barring Arsenal of course).

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2325 on: March 06, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »
No, it wasn't the same ref, but I don't think that it's silly to expect some kind of standard and consistency in how games are called. That's just one glaringly obvious example.

You can't call for consistency and cite an example that everyone knows was a glaring mistake. De Jong should have been sent off and everyone, United fan or not, would have told you that two days ago. It's not a precedent that really matters in this case, otherwise you could just look at the countless goals that were scored from offside positions and say "well that goal we scored shouldn't have been called back because this happened once 3 years ago in a different game with a different official."

Besides, this happened back in November and it was a pretty uncontroversial red:

I think the worst you could say about Nani's red is that it was a little harsh. It's reckless play, simple as. If you're going to put your studs up, for any reason, you need to make damn sure you're winning it clean. It's tough if you're following the ball the whole time, but it's always going to look pretty glaring to an official in a split-second.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #2326 on: March 12, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

foureyedjim

« Reply #2327 on: March 12, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #2328 on: March 13, 2013, 05:57:44 AM »
All hail the king

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2329 on: March 13, 2013, 08:06:02 AM »
It's impressive enough that he did it while surrounded by a bunch of white shirts in a cramped space but the shape of that finish is cotdamn tasty as well.

Tracer

« Reply #2330 on: March 13, 2013, 01:19:16 PM »
Please draw please draw pleassse draw

got 5/1 on this mofukca

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #2331 on: March 13, 2013, 02:27:25 PM »
watched schalke-galatasaray yesterday and currently bayern-arsenal. both german teams were/are better, but something is missing right there.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2332 on: March 13, 2013, 02:39:07 PM »
Quote from: Tracer ? link=topic=9569.msg1869147#msg1869147 date=1363205956

got 5/1 on this mofukca

Damn you fucked up man.  You really blew it.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2333 on: March 13, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »
ARSENAL.

I'm happy that they came to Munich and managed to wound Bayern and scare them while keeping a clean sheet. That shit at the end was ugly.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #2334 on: March 13, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
poor bayern performance tonight. anyway i'm hyped on malaga.

Tracer

« Reply #2335 on: March 13, 2013, 11:01:12 PM »
Quote from: Tracer ? link=topic=9569.msg1869147#msg1869147 date=1363205956
Expand Quote

got 5/1 on this mofukca
[close]

Damn you fucked up man.  You really blew it.
Fuckin a can't believe bayern didn't even score, in fact they weren't even close

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2336 on: March 14, 2013, 09:42:11 AM »
robben sucks

Tracer

« Reply #2337 on: March 14, 2013, 01:54:29 PM »
STEAUA!!! Huge goal from the Romanian side, Chelsea can fek off most overrated team in Europe

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2338 on: March 14, 2013, 02:11:27 PM »
Quote from: Tracer ? link=topic=9569.msg1870002#msg1870002 date=1363294469
STEAUA!!! Huge goal from the Romanian side, Chelsea can fek off most overrated team in Europe

That's the Champions of Europe you're talking about, show some respect you wanker  ;)

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #2339 on: March 14, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »
robben sucks

He is an extremely wasteful player, and his mental outlook doesn't seem too conducive to team success either. I think his performance in the champions league final last year kind of sums up his game lately - cutting in from the wing only to shoot miles over the bar every time, and never thinking about passing the ball into the box, no matter how many bad shots he's already taken. He does occasionally have good performances though.

Chelsea getting beaten by Steaua Bucharest would be embarrassing for a team that calls themselves champions of Europe, but do they really care at all about the Europa League at this point? Winning that trophy will probably only hurt their chances of making it into the champions league for next season, which is vital for attracting the kind of players they want in the summer.