Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464526 times)

TrainWreck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #2580 on: May 26, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2581 on: May 26, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »
In my mind that dude is all hype. What the fuck do barca need him for anyway? They already have the best player in the world.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2582 on: May 26, 2013, 12:53:11 PM »
Neymar's contractual situation was complex, with a number of interested parties involved: the DIS investment group held 40% of his economic rights while another group, TEISA, held 5% and Santos 55%.

But Santos held 100% of his registration. In the end, Barcelona reportedly agreed to pay Santos and those partners around ?28m, plus a further ?30m to the player and close to ?9m in agents' fees. A down payment of ?10m had already been made in January 2011. Neymar will sign a five-year contract on a salary of ?7m a season. In total, that means the package is worth more than ?100m.

Maybe he'll make me feel foolish when he gets going, but I see him as an almost guaranteed flop. He'd pretty much have to become Messi 2.0 to warrant that kind of investment, and he's never impressed me with Brazil. He's going to have way less time on the ball, against way better defenders, and he's still got the physique of a 16 year old. It just looks like a stupid move to me. Imagine what they could have got investing that money in 3-4 proven players.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2583 on: May 26, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
Exactly.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #2584 on: May 26, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »
Doing a Torres?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2585 on: May 26, 2013, 03:14:18 PM »
I don't think it'll be that drastic. I just think he'll be overshadowed by the amount of talent at that club. I could see him having much more of an impact at a team like AC Milan. Or something similar.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #2586 on: May 26, 2013, 03:34:12 PM »
100 million? Now that I know how much they spent to get him there I'm even more mystified. It's seems like their management has gone completely insane. Why spend 100 million euros to just get the last piece of their all-jersey sales 11 when for that amount of cash you could have bought a whole new back four and exponentially improved your team's quality of play. Now they just have another talented but unproven attacking midfielder on a team which already has so many great attacking midfielders that Cesc fabregas can't even get regular minutes during the season.

If they don't at least buy one new centre back this offseason my head is going to explode.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2587 on: May 26, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »

also i wanna see him try those "standoff moves" against any premier league defender in next years CSL. dude will be dust.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:29:12 PM by pica »

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #2588 on: May 26, 2013, 05:56:24 PM »
He's going to get his legs broken.

foureyedjim

« Reply #2589 on: May 26, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »
"defense is the best offense," c'mon barca...

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #2590 on: May 26, 2013, 09:12:33 PM »

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #2591 on: May 27, 2013, 12:35:57 AM »
Ah, first laugh of the day. Cheers!
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #2592 on: May 27, 2013, 02:14:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Neymar's contractual situation was complex, with a number of interested parties involved: the DIS investment group held 40% of his economic rights while another group, TEISA, held 5% and Santos 55%.

But Santos held 100% of his registration. In the end, Barcelona reportedly agreed to pay Santos and those partners around ?28m, plus a further ?30m to the player and close to ?9m in agents' fees. A down payment of ?10m had already been made in January 2011. Neymar will sign a five-year contract on a salary of ?7m a season. In total, that means the package is worth more than ?100m.
[close]

Maybe he'll make me feel foolish when he gets going, but I see him as an almost guaranteed flop. He'd pretty much have to become Messi 2.0 to warrant that kind of investment, and he's never impressed me with Brazil. He's going to have way less time on the ball, against way better defenders, and he's still got the physique of a 16 year old. It just looks like a stupid move to me. Imagine what they could have got investing that money in 3-4 proven players.

I don't think there's to much of a difference between the defenders in Brazil and Spain. Besides Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia and Atletico Madrid, the level of defenders is pretty poor in La Liga.
The Champions League matches against english/german/etc teams is another story though. They'll murder him.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #2593 on: May 27, 2013, 01:41:30 PM »

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2594 on: May 27, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I don't think there's to much of a difference between the defenders in Brazil and Spain. Besides Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia and Atletico Madrid, the level of defenders is pretty poor in La Liga.
The Champions League matches against english/german/etc teams is another story though. They'll murder him.

Spain isn't exactly a defensive hotbed, I agree with you there. But there's no way he's going to enjoy the same luxuries as he does in Brazil. Watching a defender stand off him from 5 yards while he has time to think about what ridiculous dribble he's going to pull out of his bag is absolutely not going to happen anymore. He's going to have a lot of bad habits, it's going to be hard for him to adapt.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #2595 on: May 27, 2013, 07:42:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Spain isn't exactly a defensive hotbed, I agree with you there. But there's no way he's going to enjoy the same luxuries as he does in Brazil. Watching a defender stand off him from 5 yards while he has time to think about what ridiculous dribble he's going to pull out of his bag is absolutely not going to happen anymore. He's going to have a lot of bad habits, it's going to be hard for him to adapt.

Yeah, you're right. And like you said, he really does have the physique of a 16 year old.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #2596 on: June 03, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »
Fergie gone, Mourinho back, Chelsea playing 4 hours from my home in July and USA beating Germany's C team (ha!).  Let the good times
roll.

Also, lol at Everton's new crest.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:00:20 PM by chockfullofthat »

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2597 on: June 07, 2013, 02:56:18 PM »
fuck yeah! austria beat sweden 2-1. we still have a (small) chance to make it to brazil.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2598 on: June 07, 2013, 05:12:41 PM »
Those are pretty, pretty, pretty good news.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2599 on: June 07, 2013, 06:08:19 PM »
Those are pretty, pretty, pretty good news.
i hope you guys beat belgium - otherwise we might have to play against you in the 2nd place playoff round.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #2600 on: June 10, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous shirt. Commemorating that 100 "jaar"

Something about seeing a club crest with the laurel wreaths just makes everything look so rad. Arsenal's 125th comes to mind.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2601 on: June 11, 2013, 08:14:15 AM »
^Like that shirt.  Hated Arsenal's.  Wreaths were way oversized.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2602 on: June 17, 2013, 06:52:13 AM »
anybody else watching the confed cup? during a year with out a world cup or a euro it's the best methadone you can get.

pirlo's free kick goal was sick, as well as ballotellis celebration and how he lost his shoe.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2603 on: June 17, 2013, 06:26:34 PM »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2604 on: June 17, 2013, 07:56:17 PM »
Those kids fucking suck.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2605 on: June 18, 2013, 04:27:10 AM »
anybody else watching the confed cup? during a year with out a world cup or a euro it's the best methadone you can get.

pirlo's free kick goal was sick

I was in an Italian restaurant on Burggasse when he scored the goal and the waiter ran into the street screaming. Very authentic.

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #2606 on: June 18, 2013, 05:41:40 AM »
just qualified for Brazil courtesy of a 83" Josh Kennedy header. chances are we won't do too much damage in the World Cup but it's good to be a part of it all

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2607 on: June 18, 2013, 06:29:26 AM »
That's great that Australia qualified from the Asian football conference.  I'm sure asians everywhere are so proud  ::)

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2608 on: June 18, 2013, 06:54:17 AM »
Those kids fucking suck.

kid at 2:15... owns van persie like a boss.

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #2609 on: June 18, 2013, 07:27:04 AM »
That's great that Australia qualified from the Asian football conference.  I'm sure asians everywhere are so proud  ::)

haha point taken and I agree with you. I would prefer to see the Pacific Island nations merge into one competitive team (ala West Indies cricket) and have them, Australia and New Zealand compete in an Asia/Pacific confederation. it doesn't make sense to have a confederation that's not guaranteed at least one spot at a World Cup