Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464565 times)

Mr.Gear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #2700 on: July 19, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »
Benteke signs new deal.  Psyched on that!

Bit scared of spurs had he come? haha. If we dont sign a new striker or 2 shortly me head will pop. Another plus for you gooners, is that it appears as if you may have acquired the services of little Bernard.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #2701 on: July 21, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »
Welcome to Spurs, NACER CHADLI!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23397482

Now we just need that striker! To bad about Benteke, but I would rather have Soldado, to be honest.
COYS

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #2702 on: July 22, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Benteke signs new deal.?  Psyched on that!
[close]

Bit scared of spurs had he come? haha. If we dont sign a new striker or 2 shortly me head will pop. Another plus for you gooners, is that it appears as if you may have acquired the services of little Bernard.

Maybe a bit, but it's more down to the fact that I'm rooting for the Lambert project and I'm glad Benteke showed a bit of loyalty.  I know it's must seem odd that a Chelsea fan is getting off on loyalty...

In other news, I'll be seeing some more live football in the next two weeks.  USA vs Mexico (pending 2 semi finals) in the gold cup final and Chelsea vs Inter at the Colts stadium in Indy.  Also, I now have less than a month now to decide if I'm going to spend a quarter of my wealth on going to see the World Cup in Brasil and the decision is giving me some anxiety.  It sucks you have to enter the ticket lottery before you even know if you will be seeing your team play.  It won't kill me if I have to sit through an Iran vs Venezuela match but it wouldn't be the same to not see the USA.  I have a non-close friend who lives near the Ciuaba host city but that is a wildcard at the moment. 

Mr.Gear

« Reply #2703 on: July 22, 2013, 11:35:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Benteke signs new deal.?  Psyched on that!
[close]

[close]

Maybe a bit, but it's more down to the fact that I'm rooting for the Lambert project and I'm glad Benteke showed a bit of loyalty.  I know it's must seem odd that a Chelsea fan is getting off on loyalty...

In other news, I'll be seeing some more live football in the next two weeks.  USA vs Mexico (pending 2 semi finals) in the gold cup final and Chelsea vs Inter at the Colts stadium in Indy.  Also, I now have less than a month now to decide if I'm going to spend a quarter of my wealth on going to see the World Cup in Brasil and the decision is giving me some anxiety.  It sucks you have to enter the ticket lottery before you even know if you will be seeing your team play.  It won't kill me if I have to sit through an Iran vs Venezuela match but it wouldn't be the same to not see the USA.  I have a non-close friend who lives near the Ciuaba host city but that is a wildcard at the moment. 

Oh, sorry chocko, my limited skimming of the thread had me thinking you were an Arsenal fan. Not that there there is anything wrong with that, other than the fact I follow spurs haha. I'm just pumped there can be some healthy, team-sport conversation amongst skateboarders. The world cup would be insane dude! I say go for it. The idea of missing your country's team play is a little rattling though, I understand. Australia qualified a few weeks back, which got a few of us dancing around at my place and also saw an unbelievable jump in air fairs.

Pretty pumped to see Chadli come over to spurs...Also excited by the prospect of the Soldado deal being done.
http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/soldado-to-tottenham-could-be-closed-today-after-baldini-met-vale 

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2704 on: July 24, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »
barca 1 bayern 2. bayern look gooood. this kid shaqiri, godamn.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #2705 on: July 25, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
Arsenal are on the buy-side of what could very well be considered the biggest transfer story of the summer. Is this real life?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2706 on: July 25, 2013, 12:39:45 PM »
Arsenal are on the buy-side of what could very well be considered the biggest transfer story of the summer. Is this real life?

The most notable transfer is Neymar that can't be topped.  As far as a story, the Bale and Rooney saga are pretty good ones too.  The Arsenal one is certainly the most bizarre though.

Yesterday was a great day to watch soccer.  USA vs Honduras, an amazing Copa Libertadores final, and an intense finish to Mexico vs. Panama.

I'm not sure how I'm going to watch 2 of the first 3 Chelsea games coming up unless I sell my soul to the cable company.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2707 on: July 25, 2013, 12:44:03 PM »
Serie A looks very interesting this upcoming season. I might just choose a team like Fiorentina or something and just follow them for the entire season like I do for Arsenal. They've made some very interesting purchases so far and I think Giuseppe Rossi should be over his injury by then

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2708 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »
Indeed.  Serie A is set up better than any other league, save the Premier League.  Munich have a stranglehold on the Bundesliga, La Liga is a two horse race obviously, and PSG should win a bit more comfortably this time in Ligue 1.    I've been a Balotelli fan for awhile now, for the lulz.  I kind of admire a lot of Italian teams tbh, just not the all the....racisim. 

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #2709 on: July 25, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »
Yeah next to the Premiere League Serie A will peak my interest the most. Juventus with Tevez and Llorente will be interesting.  Napoli too since they look to be getting Higuain now along with Calejon.  Milan with Balotelli should be good as well.  Looks like Kesuke Honda will probably go there in January. Too bad I was hoping they'd pick him up before the start of the season.

Arsenal's options are running out.  If Real go and get Suarez now are you only left with trying to get Rooney who is more willing to go to Chelsea?  My feeling is that if Man U does sell Rooney it will be close to the end of the transfer date.  They probably want to sell him to Real first but if Chelsea or Arsenal bid high they will sell him at the last minute.  That way he doesn't have much training with his new team.  Man U has to play Chelsea on the 2nd week.  They kind of look like they are trying to secure Fabregas first.  Not too sure about that one going thru though.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:58:52 PM by Decreed Bratton »

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2710 on: July 25, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »
I really don't care about Rooney.

Shrek and the simian can go wherever they like. I'm still holding out for the latter to escape to Real Madrid. The Suarez thing is so weird though. 

But the summer is not over yet and I can at least take some solace in the fact that Arsenal are really cutting all the deadweight off the team. Apparently Gervinho is in talks with Roma.

Shit is all or nothing for Suarez man.

SZA

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2711 on: July 25, 2013, 09:31:44 PM »
Am I the only Man United fan in here? I'm actually worried for this upcoming season......Moyes you better not fuck up!

I'd be happy if we got Fabregas, and i can see how he is being seen as a replacement for the legend that is Scholes, and the thought of him and Carrick playing off eachother is reassuring! I just want to see another big signing in the midfield department and some of my fears may be put to rest, these rumors about Ronaldo and Bale joining are headwrecking!

I know its only early days in the transfer window and  that Chelsea and Man City have been super active but i just want 2 or 3 concrete signings and i'll be happy! Zaha is going to be world class in 2 or 3 years, mark my words! Nani and Anderson, thanks for everything but now its time for you you to go! Nani for Baines would be acceptable!

I actually can't wait for this season to start up again!

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #2712 on: July 26, 2013, 04:49:01 AM »
Am I the only Man United fan in here? I'm actually worried for this upcoming season......Moyes you better not fuck up!

I'd be happy if we got Fabregas, and i can see how he is being seen as a replacement for the legend that is Scholes, and the thought of him and Carrick playing off eachother is reassuring! I just want to see another big signing in the midfield department and some of my fears may be put to rest, these rumors about Ronaldo and Bale joining are headwrecking!

I know its only early days in the transfer window and  that Chelsea and Man City have been super active but i just want 2 or 3 concrete signings and i'll be happy! Zaha is going to be world class in 2 or 3 years, mark my words! Nani and Anderson, thanks for everything but now its time for you you to go! Nani for Baines would be acceptable!

Neither are coming. Especially not Gareth Bale. He's staying in Spurs for at least another year. Fact.

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #2713 on: July 26, 2013, 05:30:36 AM »
ffs levy. just pay the asking price, sign Soldado and be done with it. sick of these long-winded negotiations that end up failing. stop teasing us. get it done before liverpool swoop in and snap him up. thanks

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2714 on: July 26, 2013, 05:35:59 AM »
I can't stop looking at that backside flip signature.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2715 on: July 26, 2013, 06:32:16 AM »
@SZA
I wouldn't say Chelsea has been super active.  Schurrle is the only player we've signed that's going to get regular playing time.  Essien, Lukaku, and Kevin De Bruyne are back on loan too and should play quite a bit.  Mourinho has said today that Man City are favorites and I agree with him. 

I think United are in trouble this year as well.  Fergie somehows squeezed the last drop out of the old guard last season and now the difficult choices have to be made about the future of the midfield and defense.  I've always predicted the decline of United these past 3 or so years and they always somehow prove me wrong, but Moyes is a question mark and one stubbed toe by RVP could bring down the whole season.  I'd be shocked if United can sign Fabregas, but there's absolutely no chance that Ronaldo will be back and Bale will go to Madrid next season if Spurs can't break into the top 4.  I think United fans might want to chill a bit on the Zaha hype too.  Plenty of players have lit up the Championship and haven't turned into the players who we thought they could be.  I wish he'd get loaned back to Palace because these newly promoted teams look completely awful.

Mr.Gear

« Reply #2716 on: July 28, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »
Neither are coming. Especially not Gareth Bale. He's staying in Spurs for at least another year. Fact.

I sincerely hope so. Last day or two have seen a fuckin' shit-storm kick up in the media. Fuck Real Madrid and fuck their shitty comic book "Marca". I know 100m is crazy money etc but I still don't want spurs to part ways with him. Di Maria, Coentrao and 50m has also been thrown around.

Some journalists are suggesting that Madrid don't have that kind of money, or enough for a substantial up-front payment. I hope this is the contributing factor and that Levy wont do business without a significant slab of money being put down in the first payment. I've lost a lot of respect for Real Madrid and would now prefer we sell Bale to Barca or PSG next year (if at all!)

Daymannnnn

« Reply #2717 on: July 29, 2013, 03:05:01 AM »
Man U fan here, been lurking hard for ages.

Im a big Wayne fan, but would be happy to see him go for the right price. At one stage I read that Chelsea were offering Mata and 10 mill for Rooney. Farrrrrk that would of been wild!

From what of read, I think a lot of people are angst(y) about their club actually not making any major signings. Probably due to mass amounts of media speculation. But Cesc signing would have to be the biggest of the premier league, although I dont personally think it will happen. Just so many fibs coming out of the uk press.

Willy Zaha wont get any first team action; he needs to head back out on loan for further development. But stay in EPLso he can play at a high level. I thought Lukaku came a long way at west brom.

But yeah bring on the new season, ill get around the fantasy too...

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2718 on: July 29, 2013, 04:11:27 AM »
I can't stop looking at that switch backside flip signature.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2719 on: July 29, 2013, 06:34:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I sincerely hope so. Last day or two have seen a fuckin' shit-storm kick up in the media. Fuck Real Madrid and fuck their shitty comic book "Marca". I know 100m is crazy money etc but I still don't want spurs to part ways with him. Di Maria, Coentrao and 50m has also been thrown around.

Some journalists are suggesting that Madrid don't have that kind of money, or enough for a substantial up-front payment. I hope this is the contributing factor and that Levy wont do business without a significant slab of money being put down in the first payment. I've lost a lot of respect for Real Madrid and would now prefer we sell Bale to Barca or PSG next year (if at all!)

Bale's situation is pretty much the same as Suarez's but simple fact is players do not say no to Real Madrid. Bale's going to want this move, Spurs aren't in the CL, and silly money is being thrown on the table. I'm much of the same opinion as Rory Smith of the Times in thinking that the longer Levy waits the more he's just shooting the club in the foot in the name of business prowess. I mean even before things reached peak craziness there were rumours of Di Maria+50m, you'd have to be out of your mind not to make that deal -- knowing it would be a big enough sum to make considerable improvements to the first team, and that Di Maria is barely a lesser player than Bale.

I would be shocked, frankly, if he stays this season.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2720 on: July 29, 2013, 09:18:09 AM »
Arsenal to challenge for all trophies with...Yaya Sanogo

8)

... :'( fuck.

Only a few weeks left until the season starts.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2721 on: July 29, 2013, 09:30:24 AM »

Im a big Wayne fan, but would be happy to see him go for the right price. At one stage I read that Chelsea were offering Mata and 10 mill for Rooney. Farrrrrk that would of been wild!

I would take Juan Mata for Rooney any day. If he wants out, let him out. Better than having him mope around Old Trafford all day. We need another good midfielder anyway.

Oh, and good on ya Jurgen for winning your first trophy for the states. Just wish he would have played Dempsey.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:32:19 AM by brycickle »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2722 on: July 29, 2013, 10:00:07 AM »

Was at the game yesterday.  I was pretty impressed with the level of noise and number of US supporters especially at the pregram party that happened to be below my parents condo.  The bar was so packed it spilled over into the street and affected traffic.  The police ended up showing up 10 minutes after the march and were left with an easy task to get what was left of the crowd back into the bar.  I got some pretty good videos and although the game was nothing special, it was a great time.  Now to Indy on Thursday for Chelsea!!

As far as Dempsey, we let the majority of the A team take a rest for this Gold Cup after the WCQ earlier this summer.  I think it's fair enough and he needs to break into the Tottenham squad if the USA are going to have any chance to make a decent run for the World Cup.

Mata was never going to United and neither is Fabregas.  This Bale story is starting to make me wonder if I was wrong about Bale not leaving all along.  Craziness.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2723 on: July 29, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »

As far as Dempsey, we let the majority of the A team take a rest for this Gold Cup after the WCQ earlier this summer.  I think it's fair enough and he needs to break into the Tottenham squad if the USA are going to have any chance to make a decent run for the World Cup.

Mata was never going to United and neither is Fabregas.  This Bale story is starting to make me wonder if I was wrong about Bale not leaving all along.  Craziness.
I just like watching Dempsey play in general. I know Mata would be a mere pipe dream.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #2724 on: July 29, 2013, 06:52:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I would take Juan Mata for Rooney any day. If he wants out, let him out. Better than having him mope around Old Trafford all day. We need another good midfielder anyway.

Mata is definitely a better player than Rooney and is at the peak of his career, but I think Kagawa is going to play a lot more minutes this season in Mata's #10 spot behind the strikers, so it might not have been the best move for United's squad overall.

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of craziness in the transfer market towards the end of this summer. I'm hoping Bale doesn't go the Real but the fans must be desperate to sign him after Barca finalized that big deal with Neymar earlier this summer.

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
« Reply #2725 on: July 30, 2013, 12:08:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No. Real Madrid.

SZA

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2726 on: July 30, 2013, 09:49:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
No. Real Madrid.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8848350/transfer-news-real-madrid-bid-85m-for-tottenhams-gareth-bale

?85 million, damn!

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #2727 on: July 30, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
Florentino Perez must have a thing for Bale.  It doesn't make sense to me.  They just sold Higuain and they need another striker.  It would be cheaper just to get Suarez.  I'm sure Liverpool would rather see him sold to RM instead of Arsenal. 

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2728 on: July 30, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »
It's almost as if you don't want him to go to Real Madrid... ;D

Zidane (who's a coach at Real now) rates him very highly.

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #2729 on: July 30, 2013, 01:57:49 PM »
Actually I'll probably get a lot of hate for this but I'm a Man City fan.  :P I'm optimistic about this season and I like how Pellegrini is calm and cool.  He also is a great with tactics.  The question is will the players be able to adhere to it.  I'm thinking Silva will have a good year and will play in the Isco role.  They also bought Navas which will bring width to let Silva get into pockets of space.

So actually I'd kind of be happy if he went to Madrid. I guess what Madrid might be thinking is to play Bale on the wing and try to make Ronaldo the striker.  That's is a lot of dough for one player though.