Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464677 times)

sonny sharrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #2940 on: October 21, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
We got Iceland in the draw. Super lucky. Plus our incompetent and shady manager is gone. Hopefully this will be enough to get our team back on track.

As far as Sweden are concerned, I give them a 50% chance of going through. They are really solid.

Yeah I hope the changes will help Croatia too since they weren't looking too good when they lost to Scotland last week. Should be easy to beat Iceland. They are getting a lot of global support since everyone likes a team to make it to the World Cup for the first time.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #2941 on: October 21, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »
I've got to write this here because it's so absurd.  I just got Chicago Fire season tickets for $18.00 a month which includes free parking and you can accumulate the tickets you don't use and let a friend use them.  I know it's not Premier League excitement, but it's still a good time.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:25:44 PM by chockfullofthat »

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2942 on: October 21, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »
Sweden have Zlatan.

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #2943 on: October 21, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
the thing is, that Zlatan or Christiano will miss the the chance to compete in brasil, which is kinda sad. both are amasing players.

but i highly doubt sweden or portugal will make it to the semi finals in 2014.

i am with sweden this time, been there a couple of time and i love the country.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #2944 on: October 21, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
Yeah I hope the changes will help Croatia too since they weren't looking too good when they lost to Scotland last week. Should be easy to beat Iceland. They are getting a lot of global support since everyone likes a team to make it to the World Cup for the first time.

We have so many top players who just didn't seem to want to play for the manager. Qualifying for a playoff spot really early didn't help to motivate them either. And I would be rooting for Iceland too if they weren't playing us. I also hope Bosnia get a good result at the WC.

I've got to write this here because it's so absurd.  I just got Chicago Fire season tickets for $18.00 a month which includes free parking and you can accumulate the tickets you don't use and let a friend use them.  I know it's not Premier League excitement, but it's still a good time.

That's just good fan policy. Nice one.
Reminds me, Barcelona have stopped letting kids under 7 in at Nou Camp for free. Such a shitty move.

Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

sonny sharrock

« Reply #2945 on: October 21, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We have so many top players who just didn't seem to want to play for the manager. Qualifying for a playoff spot really early didn't help to motivate them either. And I would be rooting for Iceland too if they weren't playing us. I also hope Bosnia get a good result at the WC.

My team, Colombia had the same problem after Valderrama retired and nobody really wanted to play for the coach Maturana. Team spirit was really low after 1994 and finally we are back with a really strong team (#4 in FIFA rankings). I really hope we can have a good showing at this World Cup.

Once Colombia got the current coach, Pekerman, the team has been playing really well together.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2946 on: October 21, 2013, 02:11:22 PM »
Word, Pekerman is a good manager. Is it strange for South American teams to have foreign managers?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2947 on: October 21, 2013, 02:16:33 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #2948 on: October 21, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »
I've got to write this here because it's so absurd.  I just got Chicago Fire season tickets for $18.00 a month which includes free parking and you can accumulate the tickets you don't use and let a friend use them.  I know it's not Premier League excitement, but it's still a good time.
That's a good ass deal. Can't look down on any league, gotta support your local.

Someone explain something about the MLS for me, what's the deal with the conference system? Is the league split geographically in half so there are two leagues (one west and one east) and they only play within their geographical league?

I don't see why they can't just replicate the simple European style.

sonny sharrock

« Reply #2949 on: October 21, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »
Word, Pekerman is a good manager. Is it strange for South American teams to have foreign managers?

It's not very common but Pekerman is from South America (Argentina) so he is not that foreign. He was the coach for Argentina in World Cup 2006 as well so he has World Cup experience.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #2950 on: October 21, 2013, 03:13:02 PM »

Fuckin scorcher, he is left foot dominant too. So much goodness about that goal.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2951 on: October 23, 2013, 05:04:41 AM »
I enjoyed old red nose getting called out for being, well, a bastard.

EPetrov

• Rep: -30
« Reply #2952 on: October 23, 2013, 12:43:34 PM »
Nice!!!

whats the best sites for streaming. Im getting really fed up. After an hour of catching glimpses of games mostly loading and clicking out advertisements im done.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2953 on: October 23, 2013, 01:12:46 PM »
Expand Quote
I've got to write this here because it's so absurd.?  I just got Chicago Fire season tickets for $18.00 a month which includes free parking and you can accumulate the tickets you don't use and let a friend use them.?  I know it's not Premier League excitement, but it's still a good time.
[close]
Nice!!!

whats the best sites for streaming. Im getting really fed up. After an hour of catching glimpses of games mostly loading and clicking out advertisements im done.

You neew to install adblock plus. 

Plug_One

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2954 on: October 23, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »
ZLATAN :o

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2955 on: October 23, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »

came here to post the exact same thing. actually i wanted to stick with IIBBRRAAA!

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2956 on: October 24, 2013, 07:02:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That's a good ass deal. Can't look down on any league, gotta support your local.

Someone explain something about the MLS for me, what's the deal with the conference system? Is the league split geographically in half so there are two leagues (one west and one east) and they only play within their geographical league?

Because if they made it one conference the travel required for a team from either coast would be like asking Chelsea to play in Moscow every weekend.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2957 on: October 24, 2013, 07:30:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've got to write this here because it's so absurd.?  I just got Chicago Fire season tickets for $18.00 a month which includes free parking and you can accumulate the tickets you don't use and let a friend use them.?  I know it's not Premier League excitement, but it's still a good time.
[close]

[close]

Because if they made it one conference the travel required for a team from either coast would be like asking Chelsea to play in Moscow every weekend.

MLS' schedule mirrors MLB in a lot of ways.  The way the schedule is currently they play the 3/4's of their games against their own conference and sprinkle in a few outside and then have a home and away knockout competition (except the initial "play-in" game which is one game only).  The MLS Cup is essentially the UEFA champions league with an extremely long group stage.  In 2011 when there was an even number of teams they had a European style schedule.  I definitely prefer it, because this year Seattle, RSL and LA didn't come to Chicago once.  I think one day, maybe 15-20 years, the relegation/promotion system may be implemented but it's a ways away because of the financial risks it presents to a pretty much infant league.

It looks like 2 more clubs are on the way...the Manchester City/New York Yankess devil spawn NYCFC and Florida's 3rd attempt at a professional club, Orlando City. 

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2958 on: October 24, 2013, 07:36:20 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24653019

So SAF talked shit on Gerrard as well? What the fuck is wrong with him? He always seemed like a miserable drunk cunt, but this is taking cuntness to the next level.

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #2959 on: October 24, 2013, 07:36:53 AM »
Manchester City/New York Yankess devil spawn NYCFC
please explain

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2960 on: October 24, 2013, 07:46:36 AM »
Alan, this is par for the course if you ask me.  Great manager, horrible man.

Expand Quote
Manchester City/New York Yankess devil spawn NYCFC
[close]
please explain

Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber announced today that a partnership of global sports powers, Manchester City Football Club and the New York Yankees, has acquired the League’s 20th expansion club. The new team will be named New York City Football Club (NYCFC) and expects to begin play in 2015.  

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/major-league-soccer-announces-new-york-expansion-team-new-york-city-football-club

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #2961 on: October 24, 2013, 08:29:23 AM »
Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber announced today that a partnership of global sports powers, Manchester City Football Club and the New York Yankees, has acquired the League?€™s 20th expansion club. The new team will be named New York City Football Club (NYCFC) and expects to begin play in 2015.  
http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/major-league-soccer-announces-new-york-expansion-team-new-york-city-football-club
oh shit... getting drip-fed some of that arabic cash! can definitely see this as a great move to lift the profile of the league but not so great for the existing clubs' trophy cabinets

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #2962 on: October 24, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »
At least New York City FC doesn't have a corny name like a lot of other MLS clubs

Australian league is guilty of having some lame team names too

sonny sharrock

« Reply #2963 on: October 24, 2013, 11:00:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

came here to post the exact same thing. actually i wanted to stick with IIBBRRAAA!

Ibrahamovich has been on fire and especially this week alone. Sorry to bum any Ronaldo fans out but I fully back Ibra in the World Cup over Ronaldo. If anything it will be majorly entertaining how amazing he is at football and his personality cracks me up too.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:07:18 AM by sonny sharrock »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2964 on: October 24, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
At least New York City FC doesn't have a corny name like a lot of other MLS clubs

They aren't too bad...New York Red Bulls is the worst one.  The only other two names I dislike is Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA.  Using a Spanish word to describe a team in Salt Lake is just ridiculous.  At least Sporting, in Sporting KC is English.  Chivas USA was just a massive own goal and will not be around the league very long.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #2965 on: October 24, 2013, 11:19:16 AM »
Fuck Real Madrid and fuck the ref  :(
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

sonny sharrock

« Reply #2966 on: October 24, 2013, 11:26:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They aren't too bad...New York Red Bulls is the worst one.� The only other two names I dislike is Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA.� Using a Spanish word to describe a team in Salt Lake is just ridiculous.� At least Sporting, in Sporting KC is English.� Chivas USA was just a massive own goal and will not be around the league very long.

Doesn't really bother me too much about naming a team english or spanish names. I think when MLS started they needed (and still do to an extent) to pull from a demographic of people that don't need to be sold on football, (in this case Latinos) in order to help the league be successful and grow. Especially here in Los Angeles where Latinos are the majority by almost 60% so Chivas USA made sense at one point. It seems like everyone has moved over to supporting Galaxy now so I don't see Chivas USA lasting for too much longer unless they become the Clippers of MLS here in LA.

I think the great thing about New York City FC is that they will be playing in New York and not New Jersey. And also the acronym NYCFC is cool too.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2967 on: October 24, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Houston Dynamo is also pretty dumb, unless there's a massive Eastern European population in Texas they're targeting with that name.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #2968 on: October 24, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »
I think the MLS was trying to adopt the European club name opposed to come up with monikers because some club monikers could get lost or confused with the American public.  There are already so many nicknames for other teams already out there like the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Charlotte Bobcats. In  the U.S. you have NFL, MLB NBA and even NHL teams with funky monikers so I think MLS was probably trying to distinguish themselves from the other U.S. leagues.  They must of felt that well for those who don't know Soccer they wouldn't know where things like Dynamo, Sporting or Real would come from anyway.  I think that the Americans do know Soccer a little would find it cute or funny that it's being copied. European fans might laugh at it, but I think it's better than having something like Houston Hurricanes or something cheesy.  There are a few MLS clubs that did choose a moniker well like Portland Timbers or Seattle Sounders.  I think those cities that have a bigger Soccer following can do it.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #2969 on: October 24, 2013, 01:00:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There are a lot of factors why they can't copy the Euro style.  For one partly the American public love playoffs and do not understand the whole point system.  Watch that funny Jason Sudakis thing. 

Americans love playoffs because it gives them a reason to watch the end of the season with a bang.  If one team in MLS was just running away with the league no one would watch.  There isn't the Champions League to focus on, well there is but no one watches that or FA cups and other things.

Two the MLS is doing things like drafts, revenue sharing and salary caps because it wants the league itself to survive.  If they followed the mold of Europe where it's basically every club for themselves,  MLS would be in trouble as a whole.  There are not enough teams for relegation where you go down a league and another team comes up.  If there was no salary cap or draft what you would have is this new team NYCFC with the oil money coming in and dominating the league, but the other clubs who don't have the money might not be able to survive financially because of it and the whole league could crumble.

It's a very hard thing to balance for MLS.  If in future years it would only be a possibility if Futbol as a whole gains more popularity than all the other sports in my opinion.