Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464718 times)

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3090 on: December 12, 2013, 09:35:29 AM »
Fire the idiot at Intel who approved that.

steam vent

« Reply #3091 on: December 12, 2013, 09:43:32 AM »

hahahahaha nice. Guess players are going to get paid by intel for doing the jersey over the face celebration...

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3092 on: December 13, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »
You almost wanna have some sympathy for Juve given the way they went out but no, fuck it, they were absolutely terrible this CL campaign. How can you play as well as they did for two games against Real Madrid and then play like garbage in the games against shitty teams where you're actually likely to get some points? As a football fan I'd generally prefer to see the teams that are best on paper progress to the knockout round, but they really did nothing to earn a spot in the last 16.

Bullshit.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

norrin radd

• Rep: -1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3093 on: December 13, 2013, 01:34:20 PM »
Did i miss the slap pals fantasy league this year?

I came in 2nd last time it happened (last year?)... whoever won it finished strong as i lead most of the season all the way until the last or 2nd to last week.

It was good fun.

side note: i actually started this thread under my old name (chocolate pow), glad to see it still going

i'll be coming back to it more often to talk world cup.

any pals going next year?

i'll be there supporting 'merica!! and honduras (where momma is from).

3 world cup for me

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3094 on: December 13, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »
you lucky bitch.  i was planning to go, but i met a lady.  are you fulfilling my whole dream by going to manuas as well?  I'm manuas or bust in the fantasy league btw.  9958-7553 is the code.

norrin radd

• Rep: -1
« Reply #3095 on: December 13, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »
i'm at age where now i gotta take the lady along  :(. should be fun nonetheless

i'll be there from 6/12-6/27 - vacation requested, flight booked, partial housing arrangements made NO MATCH TICKETS YET THOUGH

The current plan right now is:
6/12-6/14 Sao Paolo very minor chance i get a ticket to opening match
6/14-6/21 Rio: my friends and I (and our WAGs) got a place in Ipanema for the week
6/22-6/27 Fun begins, WAGs leave on 6/21. Plan is to hit up Manaus and Recife for the US matches

A lot of other things we want to do as well but without getting match tickets confirmed logistics are tough because brazil is so damn big

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #3096 on: December 15, 2013, 03:11:03 PM »
damn, some crazy results this weekend in the PL.

MC-Arsenal 6:3
Tottenham-LP 0:5

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3097 on: December 15, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »
Suarez is killing it.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3098 on: December 15, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »
That's 2 bad spankings by top clubs on Spurs.  Watching them today I don't know what AVB is doing.  Too many wingers.  I feel bad for Dawson and Capoue.  They aren't the greatest back 2 and yet he doesn't help them by how he sets up his team.  Oh well not my problem.  I think Liverpool will make the top 4.  They ain't playing in Europe as long as ol' buck teeth doesn't get injured.

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
« Reply #3099 on: December 15, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »
That's 2 bad spankings by top clubs on Spurs.  Watching them today I don't know what AVB is doing.  Too many wingers.  I feel bad for Dawson and Capoue.  They aren't the greatest back 2 and yet he doesn't help them by how he sets up his team.  Oh well not my problem.  I think Liverpool will make the top 4.  They ain't playing in Europe as long as ol' buck teeth doesn't get injured.

Really,  what the fuck is going on with Spurs.  So hard to watch that game.  They need to decide on a starting 11 and stick with it.  I also feel bad for Dawson.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3100 on: December 16, 2013, 07:05:06 AM »
Unsurprisingly AVB has just been sacked. 

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #3101 on: December 16, 2013, 09:20:07 AM »
My opinion is that AVB should not have been fired yet. Clearly tottenham has issues that need to be solved, and AVB bought some flops but tottenham isn't doing THAT bad.  Dominating in europa league and only six points from second place.

The sacking feels like a panic reaction.

geezer

• Rep: 37
« Reply #3102 on: December 16, 2013, 09:52:51 AM »
My opinion is that AVB should not have been fired yet. Clearly tottenham has issues that need to be solved, and AVB bought some flops but tottenham isn't doing THAT bad.  Dominating in europa league and only six points from second place.

The sacking feels like a panic reaction.
Dominating Europa League against shitty opposition.  Two BIG spankings against real teams, not to mention struggling to score at all against ANY premier league opposition.  As a longtime Spurs fan, I had such high hopes for this season.  They brought in so many attack-minded players, yet AVB consistently chose to go with bruisers in the midfield.  At this point, it wasn't if he was going to get fired, but when.  Hopefully they can find someone decent to replace him, though I think this season is a throwaway.

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3103 on: December 16, 2013, 10:37:43 AM »
Spurs really didn't by flops in my opinion, but it's clear to me you need to have a system in place and find players to fit it.  If you take Man City fore example, Pellegrini bought Negredo because of his height and that compliments Aguero, they bought Fernandinho to help Yaya get more forward and Navas for his width.  Even Mourinho has his system and knows what players he wants in it.  He's smart enough to know you can't play Oscar, Mata and Hazard all at the same time every game.  It seems to me that Spurs bought players just for the sake of it not thinking of their needs as a whole.

Against Liverpool they had no one to help bring the ball up from the back.  They even tried to have Paulinho so advanced forward but who's bringing the all up?  Soldado isn't a guy up front who can hold the ball up either so you can't play the long ball.  AVB put so many wingers like Chadli and Lennon in the game also spreading the field even more so.  I'd much rather of had quality midfielders in to try and break up the press that Liverpool play.  You have to know Suarez is going to get in and with that back line you need all the help you can get.

Also a Newcastle friend of mine told me that the Europa league will take a toll on Spurs and Swansea this season as it did them last season.  Newcastle are doing better because of it this season.  I told him to watch out cause it's looking like they'll get another Europa spot again.

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3104 on: December 16, 2013, 11:18:05 AM »
Yes I agree with everything, it's just that I don't think the answer is to get a another new guy in.

What's the deal with Adebayor?

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3105 on: December 16, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
Yeah saying all that unless you have a clear replacement he shouldn't have been fired, because they still weren't too far off a CL spot.

In other news

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3106 on: December 16, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »
Dominating in europa league

Never a good reason by itself to keep someone around. I don't think he bought any 'flops'  but if he was entirely responsible for their transfer policy last summer then I'm not surprised he's been fired. What spurs have are plenty of talented midfielders and a very strange tactical setup that prevents them from performing to their potential. The fact that AVB was also criticized at Chelsea for being inflexible and refusing to adapt his tactics is worrying, especially if he was the one that chose these players to begin with.

The next round of the champion's league looks like it's gonna be sweet. I"m going to go out and put $50 on a 11-8 aggregate score for that Man City vs. Barca tie. Unlucky, Arsenal fans.

whale

• SLAP Pal

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3108 on: December 17, 2013, 10:42:52 PM »
If anyone is looking for a good laugh look up Evil Kagawa on twitter.  I spent half of the day cracking up at his tweets.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3109 on: December 18, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »
We're still far from being something good in the premier league but shit son this is too good, didn't see that coming at all

http://goalshighlights.com/tottenham-hotspur-1-2-west-ham-united-all-goals/

EDIT:
Maybe this will last more

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:51:06 AM by Mark Renton »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #3110 on: December 18, 2013, 03:41:45 PM »
I really wish I had a longer attention span so I could follow a FC. Its a good sport.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3111 on: December 20, 2013, 07:19:49 AM »
AVB did not buy players at Tottenham, Baldini did.  I have been a defender of AVB at Tottenham, probably because he's a sharp dressed dude who's goal celebrations make me laugh out loud.  The biggest criticisms that I agree with that are leveled against him are his poor man management and his failure to adjust the tactics to the squad he had available.  Look at what happened with Lampard, the strange preseason Dawson transfer list to captain thing, Assou-Ekotto being allowed to leave, Adebayor...etc.  The second point, he played a high line even without his first choice defense and slow Dawson in the middle and did not adjust his tactics after the 6-0 result.  Still, I think it's a harsh sacking.  Give the man a proper chance with a healthy squad.

As for the players Baldini signed, I don't think they were bought just for the sake of buying players.  That accustation could be leveled at Chelsea who just buy CAM, after CAM, but Spurs have added players all over the park, they just have not delivered whatsoever or gelled.  Lamela, Chadli, Paulinho (to an extent), and Soldado have been shockingly bad this year. 

Now onto Monday.  You're going down Smell Good  :-* :-* :-*

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3113 on: December 26, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
Pretty bummed that Liverpool lost to City, they looked like the better team to me. Also, that offside call in the first half was completely stupid.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3114 on: December 26, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
I think they deserved a draw. 

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3115 on: December 26, 2013, 01:45:26 PM »
^^I think that would have been a fair result given that terrible offside call. Kompany did do a great job of shutting down Suarez though.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3116 on: December 26, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »
Yeah, I agree, should have been a draw.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3117 on: January 05, 2014, 10:15:48 AM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal