Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464587 times)

ALT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3120 on: January 09, 2014, 09:47:51 AM »
Thats cool. That crowd looks so sick, I'd love to be in something like that. I've only been to a few home games at Stamford Bridge and I always end up next to some middle aged men who moan non stop for 90 minuets.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #3121 on: January 09, 2014, 01:10:35 PM »
When you're with the ultras you tend to forget about what's going on the pitch because the terrace is more interesting most of the time.
Having said that, Schickeria is just an average ultra group in Germany...

Also, proper ultras don't accept any financial help from their club, so the ones making the actual atmosphere are probably against this decision.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Mr.Gear

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3122 on: January 23, 2014, 05:15:26 PM »
Salah to chelsea and inevitably Mata to United. What are peoples thoughts?

I don't get Mourinho's dislike of Mata... I just dont understand why they would sell their "player of the season" of the last two seasons. May strengthen united a little, but I think their problems are much greater than lumping in a CAM. Is there going to be room for Januzaj, Rooney, and Mata. Sneaky on behalf of Mourinho, strengthening United after they have played them twice.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3123 on: January 23, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »
I think its kind of perverse that Chelsea can immediately go and sign the best player on a team that beat them in the champions league this year, only for him to most likely end up sitting on the bench for the rest of the season due to their overabundance of talent. It almost seems like a deliberate fuck you to Basel, that or just an indifferent splashing of cash by ownership who are obsessed with acquiring more and more shiny baubles for the never ending vanity project that is Chelsea FC. Either way it definitely sucks for Basel, and for Liverpool, who could really use another winger.

The first thing I thought when I saw that Mata wasn't getting any playing time this year was that Mourinho was assuming he had already been turned against him by certain members of the Spanish national team (Ramos, Casillas etc.) who were responsible for forcing Mourinho out of Real Madrid last year. This could be total paranoia on my part as well though; Mata's not exactly known for his defensive work and doesn't seem to be a perfect fit into Mourinho's current system but it is weird to totally discard your team's "best player" of the last 2 seasons without really ever giving him a chance on the pitch.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #3124 on: January 23, 2014, 05:53:17 PM »
~*soccer*~

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3125 on: January 23, 2014, 06:04:08 PM »
Mata is not a Mourinho type player. What is a Mourinho type player?  Someone who can press and win the ball back high up the field.  Power over creativity has always been Mourinho's mantra.  Mata's initial snubbing was hard to take for a lot of Chelsea fans, but after the team started to develop together, it's clear that he still is a helluva manager.  He had his chances, although rare, to impress and didn't do too much this year. Willian has played him out of the side.  No one wanted him to leave but 37 mil for a player deemed surplus is great. That money can be used to by a new striker, which is the big hole in the team obviously.  Sad to see him go to United, but its nothing like selling RVP and gifting them the title... I hope.

Mr.Gear

« Reply #3126 on: January 23, 2014, 08:01:23 PM »
I think its kind of perverse that Chelsea can immediately go and sign the best player on a team that beat them in the champions league this year, only for him to most likely end up sitting on the bench for the rest of the season due to their overabundance of talent. It almost seems like a deliberate fuck you to Basel, that or just an indifferent splashing of cash by ownership who are obsessed with acquiring more and more shiny baubles for the never ending vanity project that is Chelsea FC. Either way it definitely sucks for Basel, and for Liverpool, who could really use another winger.

Chelsea seem to play a lot of football off the pitch. Throwing their financial weight around and attempting to dictate play outside of their club. sometimes blocking clubs deals for particular players, sometimes strengthening other clubs with loans/sales, with the plan it will suit their agenda. Don't get me wrong... that's world football, it's just that Chelsea are one of the big boys and do it so obviously.

That said, the Mata-salah situation appears to also be a sound piece of business. If Mata doesn't fit Mourinhos system then I'd say now is the time to move him on for max profit. 13.5m profit on soon to be 26yr old Mata, 10-11m spent on 21yr old Salah. Come out a few million on top with a promising pacey winger to keep the bench warm and maybe burn some defenders in the final stages of matches.

To be honest, as a spurs supporter, I am actually glad he went to Chelsea over Liverpool. Chelsea are cemented in the top 2 this season, imo and therefor aren't direct rivals for the final CL spot. Liverpool are however and the less they strengthen the better, as come the end of march squad depth and rotation will prove to be pivotal in the run in to the end of the season and Liverpool are looking a little thin.

Anyway there hasn't been a whole lot of action in the thread of late. The premiere League has been ripping so far. Anyone care to give an updated prediction of the top of the ladder in May?

Im going with:

City
Chelsea
Arse
Tottenham (wishful thinking)

I think United will finish below Liverpool but will get past Everton and finish in 6th.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3127 on: January 23, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »
Mata had to move on.  It's obvious that Oscar is quicker and can track back and defend the way Mourinho wants.  Salah also has pace and ideal for counter attacking football which is also what Mou wants just like Willian and if Mou doesn't see him working out he can put him on loan like the other 20 players Chelsea currently have out.
The question is when Mata goes to United and if Rooney and RvP are both fit where does Moyes put him?  Will he shift him on the left like he does with Kagawa?  (Btw please get the fuck out of there Kagawa and go back to Dortmund.)  Does this also mean that United will move away from playing from the wings like what they are known for and go more narrow?  Moyses' tactics and formations are just as puzzling as AVB's.  Mata signing for United may be a way to give their supporters some comfort in a horrific season and it gives me the impression they are trying to copy the Ozil signing for Arsenal which boosted their club. But that is a lot to pay for a guy and it doesn't even solve their central midfield and defensive problem.  Perhaps they are already thinking of next season and might get rid of Kagawa and Rooney.

Mr.Gear

« Reply #3128 on: January 24, 2014, 12:15:38 AM »
The number 10 shirt means a lot to Mata. Wouldnt be surprised at all if that shirt were to be available next season

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3129 on: January 24, 2014, 05:15:17 AM »
The premier league has been excellent this season.  Salah isn't really Mata's replacement, more like Kevin De Bruyne's replacement.  Ross Barkley is being linked for a summer transfer, which I would welcome.  I'm not sure who's going to get 4th, it's too difficult to tell, but I'm pretty sure City will win the title this year.  Might as well stick with my preseason pick the way they are playing.  Can't wait to watch City vs Barcelona.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3130 on: January 24, 2014, 12:39:01 PM »
I would have to go with City as well. They've just looked a class above everyone else as far as creativity and scoring ability, and they have the squad to grind out a close title run in against the likes of Chelsea. Then again, they are still prone to defensive lapses which may hurt them if the goals start to dry up. So hard to call the title race this year.

As far as Man U goes, I'm pretty sure Rooney is leaving in the summer and it seems that Kagawa is on his way out too. Pretty bummed for him considering how good he was at Dortmund. Hopefully he can follow in the footsteps of Nuri Sahin and restart his career back at his original club after riding the gravy train for a few years. Pretty great deal for Dortmund really, selling all these players at a crazy profit and then getting them back for almost nothing when they're still in the prime of their careers.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3131 on: January 24, 2014, 04:04:59 PM »
I agree, this season has been really interesting. I usually don't pay too much attention but with Man U out of the way it is a joy to follow.

In other news

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/24/qatar-2022-world-cup-185-nepalese-workers-died-2013

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3132 on: January 24, 2014, 05:17:51 PM »
I still had some hope for Sneijder in a Man U shirt.

In other news

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/24/qatar-2022-world-cup-185-nepalese-workers-died-2013

Fucked.

In other other news:
Falcao likely added to the list of absent star players at World Cup.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/22/radamel-falcao-world-cup-knee-injury

On the upside: Messi is returning to form.

Not a Fotograph

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3133 on: January 25, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »
Would love to see Everton finish ahead of Man United.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3134 on: January 27, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3135 on: January 27, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »
Touche.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #3136 on: January 27, 2014, 07:26:04 PM »
I went to Atlante Chivas last night. It was a lot of fun. I'm back home now.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3137 on: January 28, 2014, 01:17:59 AM »
I had a dream that I was playing five a side indoor football. It was like when you dream of skating. Everything moves really slow but you land a trick/score every time.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #3138 on: January 28, 2014, 12:14:08 PM »
links for LIV - EVE ??

e. nevermind, got it
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:17:19 PM by whale »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3139 on: January 28, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »
I went to Atlante Chivas last night. It was a lot of fun. I'm back home now.

Cool.  Never had the chance to get to a Liga MX game yet, despite a handful of visits to Mexico.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #3140 on: January 28, 2014, 02:05:55 PM »
I would have to go with City as well. They've just looked a class above everyone else as far as creativity and scoring ability, and they have the squad to grind out a close title run in against the likes of Chelsea. Then again, they are still prone to defensive lapses which may hurt them if the goals start to dry up. So hard to call the title race this year.

As far as Man U goes, I'm pretty sure Rooney is leaving in the summer and it seems that Kagawa is on his way out too. Pretty bummed for him considering how good he was at Dortmund. Hopefully he can follow in the footsteps of Nuri Sahin and restart his career back at his original club after riding the gravy train for a few years. Pretty great deal for Dortmund really, selling all these players at a crazy profit and then getting them back for almost nothing when they're still in the prime of their careers.

Rooney's opened contract talks and according to reports they're positive. They'll refuse to sell him to Chelsea and he doesn't want to go abroad so I think it looks like he's staying.
As a United fan I would have loved for Kagawa to have been a hit, he's what we need really and Moyes just plays him out of position. You saw the sparks of it last season like that hatrick against Norwich. But being played out of position and injuries have really not helped. I'll be sad to see him go, would love if we could fit him in still, he's played his best matches in the champions league for us this season so maybe there's still to come from him.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Mr.Gear

« Reply #3141 on: January 28, 2014, 07:31:52 PM »
Rooney's opened contract talks and according to reports they're positive. They'll refuse to sell him to Chelsea and he doesn't want to go abroad so I think it looks like he's staying.
As a United fan I would have loved for Kagawa to have been a hit, he's what we need really and Moyes just plays him out of position. You saw the sparks of it last season like that hatrick against Norwich. But being played out of position and injuries have really not helped. I'll be sad to see him go, would love if we could fit him in still, he's played his best matches in the champions league for us this season so maybe there's still to come from him.

I get the feeling Chelsea sold them Mata as a little lubricant for the incessant badgering for Rooney over the summer.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #3142 on: January 29, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I get the feeling Chelsea sold them Mata as a little lubricant for the incessant badgering for Rooney over the summer.

That's what I thought till I read this: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/26/chelsea-manchester-united-juan-mata-transfer
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3143 on: January 29, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3144 on: January 30, 2014, 12:16:53 AM »

Adrian <3

Seriously though, what would you expect against Chelsea? I'd even say what would you expect from the long-ball-play by BFS in general.
Let's see if we can climb up the table a little bit with this more comfortable upcoming games, I still hope there will be 3 worst teams by May, COYI.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:56:53 AM by Mark Renton »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3145 on: January 30, 2014, 06:16:36 AM »
"Allardyce, when told of his opposite number's comments, laughed and said: "I don't give a shite, to be honest."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/30/jose-mourinho-19th-century-football-west-ham-allardyce

Not a Fotograph

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3146 on: January 30, 2014, 06:44:57 AM »
A little generous with the shot count. Calling things like Ivanovic's effort at hitting the corner flag a "shot" is a stretch.
9 shots on target isn't bad though, especially compared to 1.

This has shades of the "great escape" season, where us turning Arsenal 0-1 at Emirates led to some momentum to get off the bottom.

COYI indeed.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3147 on: January 30, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »
"Allardyce, when told of his opposite number's comments, laughed and said: "I don't give a shite, to be honest."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/30/jose-mourinho-19th-century-football-west-ham-allardyce

Yes. Gotta love big Sam for that. Here's the video if anyone's interested:
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9140920/scathing-mourinho-and-smiling-sam?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mourinho aka the short memory twat

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3148 on: January 30, 2014, 11:05:58 AM »
Smell Good crawls out of the abyss to deflect our attention from the fact that City won 5-1 and are now top over Arsenal. 

It was tough to take and I'm sure that's why Jose was mouthing off.  Congrats on the point Mark Renton, but you aren't outta the shit yet!  Big Sam is charismatic off the field, but his team's on it are something awful.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3149 on: January 30, 2014, 07:28:17 PM »
City are a force of nature this season. They massacre teams casually almost every weekend in a manner that is sweeping and ruthless (and very entertaining) so it's no real skin off my back.

City v. Chelsea on Monday is going to be fucking massive

Ideal result for me would be a draw of course