Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464661 times)

Decreed Bratton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3270 on: April 09, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »
I'd prefer Mou going against his old team in Real Madrid.  Bayern vs. Atletico would be a good one too.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3271 on: April 09, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »
Expand Quote

Ehhh. He certainly embodies all the characteristics traditionally associated with attacking midfielders very well. He's a great player, though still very young, and his style of play fits Dortmund's perfectly. I look forward to seeing him in a Bayern shirt next year (jk, but not really).
[close]

That won't happen. He already declined a serious offer by Bayern and went to Dortmund instead. Reus seems to be very strongly linked to the local area as well as his family and friends. There haven't been many rumors linking him to Bayern anyway. They seem more focused on signing Julian Draxler from Schalke. And Dortmund will certainly not let him go to Bayern after the whole drama around Goetze and Lewandowski.

Ya I hadn't heard any rumours about him going to Bayern either. Just making a joke in reference to the Goetze/Lewandowski saga and the German tradition of Bayern stealing the best players from all the lesser clubs. It could be interesting to see what Dortmund does in the transfer market this summer though. After the year they've had I could see a few of the players wanting out for bigger paychecks and/or more chances at trophies.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3272 on: April 09, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »
I just looked at the Bayern subs and their bench looks pretty thin. I have no point to make, it just struck me as odd...

05 van Buyten
    13 Rafinha
    14 Pizarro
    20 Weihrauch
    23 Weiser
    32 Raeder
    34 H?jbjerg
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #3273 on: April 09, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »
Really thought United held it together and did well until about 60 minutes when we scored, then Bayern just seemed to hit another gear. Always seems like they need a kick up the arse to actually start playing to their potential. Anyway, despite the 3-1 scoreline, as a United fan I don't see any shame in our performance, apart from Rooney's missed chances I thought we played admirably.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3274 on: April 09, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »
Bayern is just too good, scored 40 seconds after the Evra opener. Aside from Bayern being lucky on tips they played a good game, and deserve to advance. Semis are going to be great

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3275 on: April 10, 2014, 01:45:07 AM »
I just looked at the Bayern subs and their bench looks pretty thin. I have no point to make, it just struck me as odd...

05 van Buyten
    13 Rafinha
    14 Pizarro
    20 Weihrauch
    23 Weiser
    32 Raeder
    34 H?jbjerg

Yeah. Their bench is indeed a bit thin. But that's mainly because the following players were suspended or hurt:

Starke (Goalkeeper)
Badstuber
Contento
Martinez
Thiago Alcantara
Schweinsteiger
Shaqiri

In general though, you're right. They don't have the biggest squad. But that way, it's easier to keep everyone happy.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #3276 on: April 10, 2014, 05:44:34 AM »
Ah, ok, that makes more sense.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #3277 on: April 13, 2014, 06:23:00 AM »
Liverpool just won the fuckin' Premiership

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3278 on: April 13, 2014, 06:32:07 AM »
Liverpool just won the fuckin' Premiership, like

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3279 on: April 13, 2014, 06:37:46 AM »
As long as Suarez doesn't do anything stupid;;

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3280 on: April 13, 2014, 07:03:35 AM »
I take that back! You fucked it up 'pool

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3281 on: April 13, 2014, 07:09:04 AM »
gettin cocky/desperate with the offsides, MC counter attack in the works?

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3282 on: April 13, 2014, 07:14:13 AM »
gettin cocky/desperate with the offsides, MC counter attack in the works?

This could go any way.

Wow, what a goal from Coutinho.

This is by far the best game I've seen all season. Really enjoyable as a neutral supporter.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3283 on: April 13, 2014, 07:55:25 AM »
It ain't over til it's over!

thepman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3284 on: April 13, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
I will literally cry and crawl into a corner and never come out if Liverpool win the league.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3285 on: April 13, 2014, 09:12:45 AM »
I didn't have a particular dog in that race, only thing that mattered was that one of those two teams won.

Hopefully City massacre Everton in a few weeks

As for me, I'll take one FA cup please. And all remaining fixtures won.

Tracer

« Reply #3286 on: April 13, 2014, 08:29:34 PM »
Never been so proud to fly the Liverpool flag. There's not much that wakes me up at 7am on a Sunday, and the boys delivered.

Coutinho's goal was out of this world. First place Liverpool about to run you over, the team is simply unbeatable at Anfield.

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3287 on: April 14, 2014, 12:26:08 AM »
As a City fan I ain't going to make excuses.  City were outplayed in the 1st half, but played well in the 2nd when Milner of all people came in.  Kompany gave it away, but City gave away a few games this year which will do them in.  Liverpool is scary and if they win the league they deserve it.  One thing is for sure is that I love watching David Silva play. 

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #3288 on: April 14, 2014, 12:58:04 AM »
like stevie g said postgame, its not over. i shed tears watching him at the end of the game. he deserves this.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #3289 on: April 14, 2014, 01:23:54 AM »
like stevie g said postgame, its not over. i shed tears watching him at the end of the game. he deserves this.

What a game and what a great showing for the 96. YNWA JFT96

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #3290 on: April 14, 2014, 08:33:15 AM »
ive been meaning to post this blog/podcast called www.meninblazers.com. im sure most of you have heard of them already (they have an advert in fifa), but if not, i suggest you check it out. the blog is good, but the podcast is much better. ones a chelsea supporter and the other everton. Obv they focus on EPL, but they talk about champs league etc. great interviews with some people you wouldnt expect to be soccer fans. andrew luck, nicolas batum for example. these dudes actually made me like drake a little bit.

stankbox

• Rep: 1
  • you are not my friend; you are my foe
« Reply #3291 on: April 14, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »
MCFC

ive been meaning to post this blog/podcast called www.meninblazers.com. im sure most of you have heard of them already (they have an advert in fifa), but if not, i suggest you check it out. the blog is good, but the podcast is much better. ones a chelsea supporter and the other everton. Obv they focus on EPL, but they talk about champs league etc. great interviews with some people you wouldnt expect to be soccer fans. andrew luck, nicolas batum for example. these dudes actually made me like drake a little bit.
I know, everybody funny, now you funny too..

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3292 on: April 14, 2014, 01:39:43 PM »
One thing is for sure is that I love watching David Silva play. 

Me too. It's a shame he's had to deal with so many injuries over the past couple of years. City is going to have a much harder time in the run in if he, Toure and Aguero aren't able to get on the pitch at the same time. Honestly, I think if those three had been healthy all year then they probably would have run away with the title (and Aguero would probably be on 30 goals).

I'm rooting for the 'pool though. I haven't been a big supporter since the Michael Owen days but everyone loves an underdog, especially one that plays such excellent football. Kind of surreal to see someone other than Man U, City, Chelsea or Man City seriously challenging for the title this year but either way, its nice to have some real drama in the premiere league given how one-sided the German and Italian title races have been.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3293 on: April 14, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »
This season is climaxing very, very nicely and then...Brazil!  Thank jeebus for football.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3294 on: April 14, 2014, 03:41:10 PM »
I don't think I want to work/look for a new job this summer

jist gonnae watch tha fitba

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3295 on: April 14, 2014, 04:03:02 PM »
Expand Quote
One thing is for sure is that I love watching David Silva play.�
[close]

Me too. It's a shame he's had to deal with so many injuries over the past couple of years. City is going to have a much harder time in the run in if he, Toure and Aguero aren't able to get on the pitch at the same time. Honestly, I think if those three had been healthy all year then they probably would have run away with the title (and Aguero would probably be on 30 goals).

I'm rooting for the 'pool though. I haven't been a big supporter since the Michael Owen days but everyone loves an underdog, especially one that plays such excellent football. Kind of surreal to see someone other than Man U, City, Chelsea or Man City seriously challenging for the title this year but either way, its nice to have some real drama in the premiere league given how one-sided the German and Italian title races have been.

I think that Aguero being out hurt the most because it broke City's flow when they were getting going.  Aguero and either Dzeko or Negredo was the 2 striker partnership.  One being a true #9 holding up the ball and Aguero being the shifty guy who can slot in goals left and right.  When Aguero went out City tried to play Dzeko and Negredo at the same time which didn't work.  Negredo hasn't been the same ever since. I would kill to get Marco Reus and Silva in the same squad next season and ship Nasri out.  But as it has been said Reus went to Dortmund because he is a Dortmund guy.  Let's open up that oil check book and see how loyal he is.

Interesting scenario in La Liga.  It looks like Barca might be out of it and they play Atletico in the final game.  If Atleti need a win to come out on top does Barca put out a B team and lay down to deny Real the league title?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:09:13 PM by Decreed Bratton »

thepman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3296 on: April 15, 2014, 03:40:17 AM »
For Americans/non-Europeans, can I ask why you support the football teams you do? If it's not based on geography why did you first begin supporting that certain EPL/Bundesliga/La Liga club? Just wondering!

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #3297 on: April 15, 2014, 04:49:01 AM »
For Americans/non-Europeans, can I ask why you support the football teams you do? If it's not based on geography why did you first begin supporting that certain EPL/Bundesliga/La Liga club? Just wondering!

I chose a life of perpetual frustration by supporting Tottenham Hotspur for the attacking and free-flowing style they played with. I liked the fact that they weren't one of the huge players in English football yet seemed to always be sniffing around the top third of the table. We have a reputation as underachievers and that's partly true but we do punch above our weight financially due to good club management, a big fan base and a seemingly cut-throat buy and sell mentality. Levy may not be a great man manager but his ability to balance the books and handle business is undeniable.
It's been a horror season for us on the pitch (genuinely embarrassing at times). Can't wait for it to be over to give us a chance to regroup and start over. Would love to see that attacking style of play return under someone who can crack the whip as hard as van Gaal. I think with a couple of tweaks we have the squad to be very competitive.

Would be great to see the scousers take it home from here. It would be a win for football if they managed it and I would love nothing more than to see chelsea and man city choke on each other's pee pees while 69ing their way to midtable obscurity.

am also interested to hear why people chose the clubs they did without any geographical influences

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3298 on: April 15, 2014, 05:53:01 AM »
It's a pretty random, probably uninteresting story but...

I originally was just a USA fan for the 2002 World Cup.  That was about the only soccer I had ever watched until I got into  smoking weed and playing FIFA a lot.  I learned some of the teams and would usually play as Juventus because I liked the way the announcer said Trezeguet haha.  I played as Chelsea sometimes too and the first time I met someone who actually watched soccer regularly was an American Liverpool fan from my college dorm.  I said I was a Chelsea fan as a joke to piss him off, but had never even watched a league match.  I went on vacation to Mexico that March, still an impressionable soccer fan, and finally saw a televised non-international match.  It was Arsenal vs Juventus leg 2 in the knockout stages.  Had Trezeguet scored a hattrick or had Juventus done anything worthwhile it may have been a different story, but it was a boring 0-0 disappointment.  To make matters worse, Calciopoli relegated the team and left a sour taste in my mouth. 

When the 2006 world cup came around, I was really excited to actually watch the non-pixelated players.  The first player that really impressed me was Michael Essien against USA.  When I heard he played for Chelsea it kind of sealed the deal.  I would try to follow Chelsea.  I'm not sure why but I didn't really follow the 06-07 season and only vaguely remember the FA Cup Final against Manchester United.  I don't know what changed, maybe it was the availability on TV, but by 07-08 I suddenly was able to watch most of the Chelsea matches on TV and even managed to see some games in England when I went on a trip to London.  Millwall v Luton, Charlton v Wolves (great match), and finally Chelsea v Boro.  Going to Stamford Bridge was an amazing experience and I haven't really missed a game since. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:51:01 AM by chockfullofthat »

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #3299 on: April 15, 2014, 05:53:28 AM »
I used to play as a keeper for local team, and my favourite player was Bruce Grobbelaar. So I've followed Liverpool since the mid 80s. Then I met my wife 18 years ago who is from Liverpool and has three older brothers who ar bigger than me and are all staunch Liverpool fans, which aided my love of the reds. I also follow Real Madrid after going there on hols as a kid.