Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464535 times)

Decreed Bratton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3300 on: April 15, 2014, 09:34:28 PM »
For me I would only watch the World Cups in the beginning and I wouldn't have access to watching European football.  At the last WC was when a friend of mine would tell me how he liked Spain and to watch out for this guy David Silva.  He had also just left Valencia and was going to play in England for City.  He didn't play much in that WC, but after it ended I was hyped to watch more football.  I bought the extra cable package even if was going to hurt my check book. Since Silva was going to City I just wanted to watch him play and see how good he was. I knew a little about United and their success and to me that represented the Yankees.  I don't care for those types of teams.  I was a NY Mets fan. (Ironic that I don't watch and baseball anymore).  So It though cool I can support the underdog team that didn't win as much.  It was only later that I found out about the oil money.  I just watched every City match I could and slowly learned about the game.  Like I said I learned later about the oil money, but what could I do at that point.  I just wanted to watch Silva play as I still do.  He is by far my favorite player.  If you know about basketball (which sport I also don't watch anymore) I would consider him like John Stockton.  Not the quickest, can't shoot that well, but can run the show.

If I get shit for liking City, fuck it.  I can't suddenly change.  I will still support them even when that day comes that Silva does leave.  (Although I'll probably be crying.) I also am starting to watch more Serie A and am taking a liking to Inter.  I know they are struggling right now but, for some strange reason I like them better knowing that.

Football is unlike any other sport I have followed in the past.  When your team wins you are on cloud 9, when they lose you're pissed the entire day if not up until the next game.  Mulling over shit in you're head.  That's when I say fuck it I gotta skate.  What's funny it's like that for every supporter of every club at one point or another.  Now I don't watch any other sport that I used to watch before.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:37:59 PM by Decreed Bratton »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3301 on: April 16, 2014, 01:30:36 AM »
haessler, gaudino, brehme, köpke, möller, strunz, kunz, riedle, woerns, thom, sammer, koepke.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3302 on: April 16, 2014, 04:26:23 AM »
haessler, gaudino, brehme, k?pke, m?ller, strunz, kunz, riedle, woerns, thom, sammer, koepke.

The village were STACKED that year   ;)

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #3303 on: April 16, 2014, 03:44:08 PM »
City, because an asshole down the street was all about United so fuck that.

Later on because of Oasis, and later still maybe because of this movie:

Plug_One

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3304 on: April 16, 2014, 04:18:32 PM »
Sunderland !!  ;D ;D ;D

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3305 on: April 16, 2014, 05:51:07 PM »
Crystal Palace  8)

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3306 on: April 16, 2014, 06:08:55 PM »
Manchester United. When I first started getting into the game a friend of mine that taught me a lot about the game was a huge fan. Then I learned about Eric Cantona and George Best.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #3307 on: April 16, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
For me I would only watch the World Cups in the beginning and I wouldn't have access to watching European football.  At the last WC was when a friend of mine would tell me how he liked Spain and to watch out for this guy David Silva.  He had also just left Valencia and was going to play in England for City.  He didn't play much in that WC, but after it ended I was hyped to watch more football.  I bought the extra cable package even if was going to hurt my check book. Since Silva was going to City I just wanted to watch him play and see how good he was. I knew a little about United and their success and to me that represented the Yankees.  I don't care for those types of teams.  I was a NY Mets fan. (Ironic that I don't watch and baseball anymore).  So It though cool I can support the underdog team that didn't win as much.  It was only later that I found out about the oil money.  I just watched every City match I could and slowly learned about the game.  Like I said I learned later about the oil money, but what could I do at that point.  I just wanted to watch Silva play as I still do.  He is by far my favorite player.  If you know about basketball (which sport I also don't watch anymore) I would consider him like John Stockton.  Not the quickest, can't shoot that well, but can run the show.

If I get shit for liking City, fuck it.  I can't suddenly change.  I will still support them even when that day comes that Silva does leave.  (Although I'll probably be crying.) I also am starting to watch more Serie A and am taking a liking to Inter.  I know they are struggling right now but, for some strange reason I like them better knowing that.

Football is unlike any other sport I have followed in the past.  When your team wins you are on cloud 9, when they lose you're pissed the entire day if not up until the next game.  Mulling over shit in you're head.  That's when I say fuck it I gotta skate.  What's funny it's like that for every supporter of every club at one point or another.  Now I don't watch any other sport that I used to watch before.

stockton was a great shooter you idiot

Decreed Bratton

• it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3308 on: April 16, 2014, 10:25:35 PM »
Sorry that came off wrong.  I was meaning that Silva can't shoot that well.  He's very left footed and if he had his shooting boots on he'd be one of the best.  Anyway Stockton was a decent shooter and a good free throw shooter, but not even the best shooter on his team. That would be Jeff Hornacek.  A great shooter would be Reggie Miller or Larry Bird.  Anyway the point I was trying to make was that Silva is similar to Stockton in that he's like the point guard of City. 

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #3309 on: April 17, 2014, 08:30:37 AM »
I've never really been able to get into soccerfootball, probably because of the geographic disconnect from the leagues that actually matter. But I'll be damned if I don't get excited for the World Cup.

Not a Fotograph

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3310 on: April 17, 2014, 10:07:18 AM »
France '98 was the year I went from following the World Cup to wanting to know everything about the club teams those guys came from. Instead of glory, I went straight to the bottom.

West Ham for this goal

and for the teams under Harry with Cole, Rio, Foe, Berkovic, Psycho, etc.

RIP M-V Foe

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3311 on: April 17, 2014, 11:07:30 AM »
^Out of all the top flight London teams, West Ham is the one I sorta like

Of course, Arsenal Football Club is the greatest club in the world, possibly universe.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3312 on: April 17, 2014, 04:26:32 PM »
^Smell Good, to what do you owe your impressive understanding of scottish ned dialect?

My football fandom began as a young lad growing up in England, where refusal to participate in games during lunch break and recess was generally punishable by ostracization from the peer group. I didn't know shit about the professional leagues when I first moved there, but being immersed in the culture of football and the explosion of media hype following the advent of the premier league, I quickly became obsessed. All of my friends at school (barring the ubiquitous glory-hunting Man U "fans") supported the local team, Ipswich Town, who were mostly shite and played in the first division (now championship) for the majority of my time there. They did make a brief, exiting but ultimately pointless foray into the premier league just before I moved away to Canada, though.

From pretty early on I was a Liverpool fan, mostly due to the appeal of Michael Owen, who as many of you know was touted as the next big thing at the time. One of my strongest memories from that era is watching him score that amazing solo goal against Argentina in the '98 world cup, only for Beckham to get himself sent off a few minutes later like a twat. Also, my family once owned Marcus Stewart's old garden shed (points to anyone who knows who the fuck that is), a gift from our neighbour who was doing some landscaping work for him at the time.

Back in North America skateboarding began to gradually take over my life, and with the lack of available games on TV and people to play with, I lost interest in football for a few years. Back in 2010 I started watching again, but without holding any particular affinity for one team. Now I just consider myself a dispassionate observer/football connoisseur, though realistically my fandom serves mostly as a distraction from the crushing banality of existence (yay sports!)

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3313 on: April 17, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »
Haha, I've read a few Irvine Welsh novels here and there

It's a pretty infectious way of writing

seriously dude

« Reply #3314 on: April 17, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »
When I was nine my best friend's older brother went to England and brought back an Arsenal jersey and an Ian Wright poster. I had never seen a real football shirt and was so jealous. My friend was wearing the shirt at the mall and this English family ran up to us and started frantically shouting questions. Turns out they were Gooners. They hugged my friend and took pictures with us. That was it for me. Gooner for life. I was fortunate to study in London and I lived a few miles from Highbury. So for me it was a combination of random events. Twenty three years later and still backin the Arse, still excited for that coveted fourth place trophy as well.

It was the 91 away jersey, the yellow and green chevrons. Still my favorite shirt of all time.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #3315 on: April 17, 2014, 09:12:11 PM »
Sorry that came off wrong.  I was meaning that Silva can't shoot that well.  He's very left footed and if he had his shooting boots on he'd be one of the best.  Anyway Stockton was a decent shooter and a good free throw shooter, but not even the best shooter on his team. That would be Jeff Hornacek.  A great shooter would be Reggie Miller or Larry Bird.  Anyway the point I was trying to make was that Silva is similar to Stockton in that he's like the point guard of City. 

career 50% fg, 40% 3pt shooter is not a great shooter, certified dolt

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3316 on: April 19, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
Sunderland !!  ;D ;D ;D
;D  

Sunderland have been the wrench the machine a number of times this season
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:47:19 PM by Smell Good »

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #3317 on: April 20, 2014, 04:37:43 AM »
Even though I'm a Yid through and through, I must admit that I really want Liverpool to win the Premiership. It shows that you don't need all the money in the world to become a top team.

kinky john

• Rep: 39
  • I do not spook easily
« Reply #3318 on: April 20, 2014, 05:32:56 AM »
Sunderland !!  ;D ;D ;D
Good lad! How and why? I was born there so have no excuse.
Quote from: lipscantgo on April 15, 2009, 02:30:26 PM
Females now know to NEVER text Jereme before breakfast. He laid it down.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #3319 on: April 20, 2014, 07:33:51 AM »
couldnt watch the last 5 min in the city/lpool game, couldnt watch the last 4 in the norwich game. this is too sick. champs league was the goal, and its been accomplished. they mentioned it postgame, but i also loved that suarez gave it up to lucas at that last attempt (wouldve put them up 4-2), instead of going for 31.

in response to the question prior, started backing liverpool because some friends were united, chelsea and everton supporters. fell in love in istanbul.

Leyzee Emcea

• Rep: -8
  • Achilles Tendonion Rings Jr
« Reply #3320 on: April 20, 2014, 07:40:02 AM »
Even though I'm a Yid through and through, I must admit that I really want Liverpool to win the Premiership. It shows that you don't need all the money in the world to become a top team.

Neutrals dream will come true this year. Already looking forward to Mourinho's post season comments about everything else but his occasional poor decisions, obnoxious attitude and what not.  I'm just glad that for once MU/CFC/MCFC understand what is true heart&passion on the pitch.

Not a Fotograph

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3321 on: April 20, 2014, 08:22:18 AM »
Liverpool spent 80 million quid on transfers two years ago and 50 mil last year. They didn't need to spend that much this year, other than get the team settled and get them to stop under performing. They may not rival Citeh's spending power but they're hardly doing it on pure grit with academy players.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3322 on: April 20, 2014, 08:55:28 AM »
Goddamnit.

Everton up by 2 at Goodison right now. Serves me right for relying on obscure mid table teams to do me a favor ugh.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #3323 on: April 20, 2014, 05:42:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Neutrals dream will come true this year. Already looking forward to Mourinho's post season comments about everything else but his occasional poor decisions, obnoxious attitude and what not.  I'm just glad that for once MU/CFC/MCFC understand what is true heart&passion on the pitch.

Yup. And even better; Seems like Atletico Madrid is about to win the fucking La Liga as well. What a season for the underdogs.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3324 on: April 21, 2014, 07:18:11 AM »
Crushing defeat against the Black Cats and for the first time since he was sold, I was wishing Mata was out there during the second half.   I'm not really sure what went wrong, a tired squad and some questionable transfers/loans.  One thing I will say, is it's annoying how much the press vilifies Mourinho for the kind of actions they would be willing to look the other way for when it had been Ferguson. 

Credit to Liverpool and Brendan Rogers, no one saw this coming.  I still kind of hope we can ruin their party and give City the title.  Not to deflect the massive choke job by Chelsea, but I think it's more damning on Pelligrini if City can't turn this around.  They've have a finished squad and are being pipped by a total underdog.  It's been an enjoyable season regardless of what happens from here on out.

I wonder how Liverpool will do at the World Cup.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #3325 on: April 22, 2014, 05:07:37 AM »
So yeah, Moyes is out. As much as I liked seeing ManU fail this season, I still hate it when clubs don't give managers a chance...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #3326 on: April 22, 2014, 05:16:32 AM »
So yeah, Moyes is out. As much as I liked seeing ManU fail this season, I still hate it when clubs don't give managers a chance...

As a United fan I wish we'd given him the summer and a three or four months next season to turn things around but there's no denying the man was out of his depth. If we were getting the same results and were still 7th, but you could see a blueprint for the team, a desire, a football philosophy that you could see developing and one day working then he wouldn't have been sacked. But thats not the case, Moyes has played negative, reactive football all season, he's chosen 51 different teams in 51 matches. We've been outclassed by the likes of Everton, West Brom, Stoke City, Sunderland and Swansea. And at the end of every game he still came out and said we 'played well' and were 'just unlucky' - he had no clue what he was doing.
If success was built on how nice a bloke you are or how hard working you are then Moyes would be doing great, but it isn't. I feel for the guy especially with a lot of the players just not turning out for him and with the whole way the Chief executive handled transfers over summer, but ultimately he was not right for the United job.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

jexe

« Reply #3327 on: April 22, 2014, 05:20:32 AM »
you do realise that behind chelsea and man city, liverpool spend the most on players, they might not be funded by oil money but they are not exactly run on a budget.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #3328 on: April 22, 2014, 05:39:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As a United fan I wish we'd given him the summer and a three or four months next season to turn things around but there's no denying the man was out of his depth. If we were getting the same results and were still 7th, but you could see a blueprint for the team, a desire, a football philosophy that you could see developing and one day working then he wouldn't have been sacked. But thats not the case, Moyes has played negative, reactive football all season, he's chosen 51 different teams in 51 matches. We've been outclassed by the likes of Everton, West Brom, Stoke City, Sunderland and Swansea. And at the end of every game he still came out and said we 'played well' and were 'just unlucky' - he had no clue what he was doing.
If success was built on how nice a bloke you are or how hard working you are then Moyes would be doing great, but it isn't. I feel for the guy especially with a lot of the players just not turning out for him and with the whole way the Chief executive handled transfers over summer, but ultimately he was not right for the United job.

You're right, and his reign was a shambles, but I still find it hard to believe that he was just plain shit. Like, maybe if they gave him a longer period like you suggested, maybe he'd turn it all around... (Probably not, but this decision makes everyone look bad)
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3329 on: April 22, 2014, 08:19:17 AM »
Can we honestly say that Moyes is a shit manager after this?  Look at the squad he assembled at Everton and look at the shambolic transfer windows the club (largely not Moyes' fault) has had since he arrived.  I know it's been said enough times and times have changed, but imagine where United would be today if they treated Ferguson the same way.  United after all of their denial proved that they are just like Chelsea, City, and nearly every other modern elite European club with their impatience.