Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464819 times)

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2546
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3360 on: April 30, 2014, 03:37:28 PM »
World Cup summers are the best summers!

My man.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3361 on: May 01, 2014, 03:58:05 AM »
The biggest issue I think is that Pep has turned Bayern's aggressive, dynamic, fast football of last year and turned it into tika taka. He's slowed this Bayern team right down and while it works against lesser sides in the Bundesliga, he's been found out against the bigger teams like Madrid and arguably you saw it when they played Man United too, up until United scored there first goal.
Even last year when Pep's philosophy was still in place at Barca under Tito Vilanova, the tika taka style of play was absolutely trashed by the Bayern team that last night got trashed by Madrid team.
What do people think? End of tika taka? You've got to think that Pep will at least look at the style Bayern play over the summer and attempt to tweak it.

Their performance reminded me very much of Barca against Chelsea in the semi final a couple of years ago, after they went down by a goal and had to struggle to get back in the tie. Everything just seemed very laboured and slow and predictable, like the players were cycling through some set off pre-rehearsed maneuvers. I remember thinking that surely this group of superstars could produce much better football than this if they could only get outside of 'the system'.

Pep's love for possession verges on weird but Bayern's decision to hire him was even more bizarre for me. It's like they imported a barcelona style team after thoroughly destroying the real Barcelona a year ago.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3362 on: May 03, 2014, 12:09:12 PM »
What a good way to end a shitty weird season. Third win in a row against Tottenham, 3-0 and 2-1 away, then this 2-0 home.
Pardon the stoke.

As a side note I'm happy for Sunderland, they've been displaying good football, and Fulham that back in Jan were singing 'derby with Millwall is waiting for you', oh well.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #3363 on: May 03, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
What a good way to end a shitty weird season. Third win in a row against Tottenham, 3-0 and 2-1 away, then this 2-0 home.
Pardon the stoke.

As a side note I'm happy for Sunderland, they've been displaying good football, and Fulham that back in Jan were singing 'derby with Millwall is waiting for you', oh well.

Fuck off mate. Haha.
Even though we're place 6th, this season has been a fucking nightmare. I would be so fucking stoked if we get Frank de Boer this summer.

Mr.Gear

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3364 on: May 03, 2014, 07:56:25 PM »

Fuck off mate. Haha.
Even though we're place 6th, this season has been a fucking nightmare. I would be so fucking stoked if we get Frank de Boer this summer.

I'm praying dude.

You're right, this season has been a nightmare... and really disappointing. But to be 6th, and in with a shot of CL qualification for a decent period of the run in isn't anything to turn your nose up at I suppose. New manager (hopefully FdB), new LB and perhaps a CF and I'll be happy to start the next season.

Really stoked for Sunderland. Hope they stay up. I've been enjoying watching their games.

5barsdeep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3365 on: May 04, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
Really hope the gunners keep Ozil. These transfer window rumors will be non stop as the season ends. Happy for Sunderland and Newcastle getting much needed wins this weekend. Cheers.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3366 on: May 04, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »
If only chelsea could've lost today, we might've been able to pip 3rd

Mind you, I'm not taking Norwich next week for granted, not sure how they intend to play at home but it could prove to be a tricky fixture.

Remy was at the Emirates watching the game today. Not sure what the implications of that are (maybe Sagna invited him?). I mean the guy has been linked with Arsenal since forever due to his physical resemblance to Henry 

I tend to like them young and obscure (as you do if you play Football Manager) but I'm not going to say no to Remy

Not a Fotograph

« Reply #3367 on: May 04, 2014, 05:42:29 PM »
Pardon the stoke.

Missed the match and didn't see the highlights until today. Hammers definitely have their number this season. That might have been the worst wall for a free kick I've ever seen.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3368 on: May 04, 2014, 08:19:30 PM »
If only chelsea could've lost today, we might've been able to pip 3rd

Mind you, I'm not taking Norwich next week for granted, not sure how they intend to play at home but it could prove to be a tricky fixture.

Remy was at the Emirates watching the game today. Not sure what the implications of that are (maybe Sagna invited him?). I mean the guy has been linked with Arsenal since forever due to his physical resemblance to Henry 

I tend to like them young and obscure (as you do if you play Football Manager) but I'm not going to say no to Remy

Wtf? I haven't been on the daily mail website in a while so I'm not too aware of the current transfer rumour-scape but is this really a thing? If Arsenal are looking for an upgrade/more competition for Giroud I'm not sure that Remy fits the bill. On the other hand, if Wenger is just looking for someone else to play boules with on the weekend then he might be perfect.

As a gunner, do you ever get annoyed by the manager's bias towards French players? I know he's had some success in the past mining Ligue Un for talent but I'm not aware of any other big name manager who has signed so many of his own countrymen.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3369 on: May 04, 2014, 10:31:19 PM »
Wenger's advantage in mining the French leagues have been waning over the past few seasons. When he first came to Arsenal (mid 90s), football was a lot more insular, Wenger was essentially taking advantage of a market inefficiency, he had a rich and fully established scouting network in place in France and was able to secure players for cheap and without too much attention (guys he's had his eyes on and guys he used to coach in France). Vieira, Petit, etc.

There's no advantage anymore. The environment seems a lot more even and open now and going ham and signing a shitload of Ligue 1 players like Newcastle isn't the greatest idea.

I love Arsenal and Wenger because of their scouting and recruitment methods. I honestly don't think it's as French-centric as it used to be. The first team has a good crop of Germans, Spanish and French along with the British core that he's cultivated.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3370 on: May 05, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »
UnFuckingbelievable.  Liverpool go up 3-nil and tried to pour on goals to lessen the goal differential.  I think the 2nd and 3rd goal came too close together.  Liverpool thought we got this in the bag and lets batter them, but leaving themselves way too open in the back.  Unreal for Palace to come back to equalize. The title race this year has been entertaining to say the least.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:29:05 PM by Decreed Bratton »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3371 on: May 05, 2014, 02:22:31 PM »
England are really going into the World Cup out of form  ;)

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3372 on: May 05, 2014, 02:28:12 PM »

It's sad that I can't put the USA going through, but I have to be logical.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #3373 on: May 05, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »
Liverpool hahahahahahahaha
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #3374 on: May 05, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »
UnFuckingbelievable. �Liverpool go up 3-nil and tried to pour on goals to lessen the goal differential. �I think the 2nd and 3rd goal came too close together. �Liverpool thought we got this in the bag and lets batter them, but leaving themselves way too open in the back. �Unreal for Palace to come back to equalize. The title race this year has been entertaining to say the least.

I'm trying to rationalize things by saying that getting back into the top 4 is all anyone expected at the start of the season, and that a 2nd or 3rd place finish will still be an achievement -- but fuck me what a shitty end to the season this has been. All they had to do was tighten up at 3-0 and ride something out, maybe sneak another goal somehow, but the players were gassed and let it all fall apart. So frustrating that even after succumbing to this 6-4-0 formation shit against Chelsea they somehow let it bite them again against a truly inferior side on paper, after amassing such a lead.

It's sad that I can't put the USA going through, but I have to be logical.

You may have been a bit too logical. There's going to be a few upsets, if not in the group stage certainly in the first knockout round. The Netherlands are frail as fuck in their defense leaving an opportunity for Chile, and I think Portugal would have enough to see off Argentina when it counts. But lots of wildcards with teams like France, Belgium, Mexico and Italy that people will find hard to predict.  

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3375 on: May 05, 2014, 02:52:12 PM »
Compare and contrast that Liverpool performance with Man City's after going a goal down to Everton in the first half. I suppose it's fitting that their title challenge ended with 8 minutes of horribly naive defending, something they've been prone to all year. Seriously,  can anyone explain to me why they left only 3 players behind the ball with the score at 3-2 after Palace had just scored on them twice in as many minutes?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3376 on: May 05, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
I couldn't watch after the second CP goal. Turns out it was for the best. It's sad for LFC, but c'mon, how are you gonna let a 3 goal lead slip...

Bryce, I would have put Mexico 2nd in their group. Maybe we're better on paper but I have a feeling all European teams will implode in the heat...

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3377 on: May 05, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »
I couldn't watch after the second CP goal. Turns out it was for the best. It's sad for LFC, but c'mon, how are you gonna let a 3 goal lead slip...

Bryce, I would have put Mexico 2nd in their group. Maybe we're better on paper but I have a feeling all European teams will implode in the heat...

Mexico are a fucking trainwreck though.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3378 on: May 05, 2014, 03:44:16 PM »
Really? *mustn't get my hopes up*

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3379 on: May 05, 2014, 04:22:33 PM »
Croatia fan? I don't know enough about Cameroon to comment on their prospects, but Mexico are perennial underachievers and this won't be their year to upset that trend. Croatia are stronger in every position, Mexico have struggled in friendlies against mediocre Central American teams, and their team selection is super odd with players like Vela not even selected because of falling out with the manager (pretty sure). Unless someone like Chicharito has an absolute world class turn in the WC I can't see them with any realistic hopes of moving on.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3380 on: May 05, 2014, 04:40:56 PM »
I'd like to see Argentina do good, but from what I've seen they haven't impressed me as I thought they would.  I saw them play some friendlies with Messi, Aguero and Higuain up front and it didn't really work out.  If they could improve on their central midfield and defense they'd have a great chance. They've got one of the most potent front lines, but you gotta get them the ball.  Hopefully they'll figure it out.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3381 on: May 05, 2014, 05:05:06 PM »
Why is Messi Argentina's captain? He doesn't seem that outgoing.

I guess it's purely ornamental.

5barsdeep

« Reply #3382 on: May 05, 2014, 05:43:45 PM »
Wenger's advantage in mining the French leagues have been waning over the past few seasons. When he first came to Arsenal (mid 90s), football was a lot more insular, Wenger was essentially taking advantage of a market inefficiency, he had a rich and fully established scouting network in place in France and was able to secure players for cheap and without too much attention (guys he's had his eyes on and guys he used to coach in France). Vieira, Petit, etc.

There's no advantage anymore. The environment seems a lot more even and open now and going ham and signing a shitload of Ligue 1 players like Newcastle isn't the greatest idea.

I love Arsenal and Wenger because of their scouting and recruitment methods. I honestly don't think it's as French-centric as it used to be. The first team has a good crop of Germans, Spanish and French along with the British core that he's cultivated.

This is some cogent analysis, i'm new here but good to see some Arsenal fans in the mix. I think Wengers strengths are exploiting market inefficiencies in regards to transfers, as you said rather well. He knew more about the French market than many clubs and scored some talent on the cheap. Agreed his focus is much more global now and he has been afforded a bit more financial flexibility. Really hope Sagna comes back and some $ is spent this summer.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:23:52 PM by 5barsdeep »

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #3383 on: May 06, 2014, 01:38:22 AM »
have to say the CB's at Liverpool have been woeful in more than a few games this season, and last night they were just fucking terrible.  Johnson is a quality RB and Toure has still got some game, but the others just don't cut it. 

As a Manure fan I'm torn between not wanting Citeh to win again and never wanting LFC to get another title.

I can't see Citeh dropping any points against villa tomorrow, and it would be fucking amazing if LFC put enough goals past the toon army to mean that they would've won the title on GD if they hadn't of imploded last night

Oh and I can see both England and Italy having trouble getting out of their group in Brazil, and if they do they will be fucked from playing at altitude and travelling.  The upside is that this could mean that Englands second string get a chance to show what they can do (The Ox, Lallana, Sterling, Berkley could give any team a run for their money if they're fit and hungry) and then we can possibly move forward as a national team without the likes of Barry, Carrick, Gerrard (who's admittedly been amazing this season in as a defensive mid) & fat Frank

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3384 on: May 06, 2014, 02:43:05 AM »
Croatia fan? I don't know enough about Cameroon to comment on their prospects, but Mexico are perennial underachievers and this won't be their year to upset that trend. Croatia are stronger in every position, Mexico have struggled in friendlies against mediocre Central American teams, and their team selection is super odd with players like Vela not even selected because of falling out with the manager (pretty sure). Unless someone like Chicharito has an absolute world class turn in the WC I can't see them with any realistic hopes of moving on.

Ha, going by that description, we're barely above Mexico. We've lost our last three qualifiers, then got a new coach before beating crappy Iceland in the play-offs. We have always punched above our weight, so if we pass the group stage I'll be megastoked.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3385 on: May 06, 2014, 06:17:04 AM »
I highly doubt anyone here has enough knowledge about obscure national teams to make a statement like "Croatia are stronger in every position."  The 2nd spot in that group is anyone's to win really.  Should be interesting.

-Edit:  What does everyone make of the first crackdown due to FFP?  PSG's punishment: 1. Payroll cannot increase 2. Must sell before buying players 3. Squad cut from 24 to 21 for UCL. 4. 60 million euro fine

My biggest question is who in UEFA is going to pocket that cash??
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:54:13 AM by chockfullofthat »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3386 on: May 06, 2014, 07:28:39 AM »
They should re-distribute it to smaller teams in that league.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3387 on: May 06, 2014, 01:02:56 PM »
I highly doubt anyone here has enough knowledge about obscure national teams to make a statement like "Croatia are stronger in every position."  The 2nd spot in that group is anyone's to win really.  Should be interesting.

-Edit:  What does everyone make of the first crackdown due to FFP?  PSG's punishment: 1. Payroll cannot increase 2. Must sell before buying players 3. Squad cut from 24 to 21 for UCL. 4. 60 million euro fine

My biggest question is who in UEFA is going to pocket that cash??

Mexico isn't really an obscure team, dude. Croatia has a lot of well established, talented players.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:04:51 PM by Mooley »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3388 on: May 06, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »
Most national teams are absolutely filled with obscure players.  Mexico is a prime example.  Perhaps the name "Mexico" has a long history in world football but their most well known player (Chicharito) isn't likely to start.  How much Liga MX do you watch?  I'll give you the fact that Croatia has a lot of well established players and by a lot I mean 3-4. 

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3389 on: May 17, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

I am so happy. Finally, some fucking silverware! YESSSSSS