Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464622 times)

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3390 on: May 19, 2014, 11:27:07 AM »
Congratulations, but it seemed like an insignificant achievement while Atletico was busy winning La Liga.  This picture from the parade is so epic.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3391 on: May 19, 2014, 05:12:02 PM »
Very happy for Atletico fans. Fuck Bar?a/Madrid and their TV monopoly.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3392 on: May 21, 2014, 11:19:26 AM »

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3393 on: May 21, 2014, 12:33:17 PM »
As much as I love Yaya I can see him going back to Barca.  It's not a secret as he has stated a number of times he'd like to end his career there.  I think that he and his agent want a move now because of the looming ban at Barca and not knowing when it will take effect.  He does still have 3 years on his contract so they don't need to sell him this year.  It would leave a huge hole in the middle of City's midfield.  If City decide to sell him hopefully they use the money wisely.  They could buy someone younger like Paul Pogba.  Fabregas is another option.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3394 on: May 22, 2014, 06:42:53 AM »
Holy shit, apparently Sagna's going to be on ?120,000 - 140,000 per week wages at City

That's fucking insane. No wonder Arsenal couldn't come to an agreement with him. Arsenal is a big club, but they don't have the backing of an entire nation like City.

Hell, I don't consider anyone to be at fault here. Would've loved for him to stay and finish his career at Arsenal but at those wages, I can't blame the guy.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3395 on: May 22, 2014, 07:06:18 AM »
That's a lot of money for Sagna to watch Zabaleta play.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3396 on: May 22, 2014, 09:40:20 AM »
Throwing that amount of money for a ok 31 old defender is just regular.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3397 on: May 22, 2014, 11:46:38 AM »
Since Sagna is on a free transfer City can afford to throw a little more at him per week.  It was obvious that Richards couldn't be fit and back up Zabaleta this season.  Zabs was looking tired toward the end.  With 4 competitions Pellegrini wants 2 players in each position for rotation.  So Sagna will get his fair share of games.  It was a huge drop of when they had to play Boyatta at Right back and when Richards was fit he was horrible.  Sagna is old, but on a 2 or 3 year contract it's just about right IMO.

Edit
I think one thing you have to take into consideration is FFP.  City are only allowed to spend about 49mil. pounds this summer.  I think their priority is to use the bulk of that money on a CB like Mangala or Benatia.  They are also going after Fernando from Porto who is a Defensive Mid.  It might actually be cheaper to get Sagna and pay him well, then to get a younger right back.  At the moment I can't really think of any good RB that is available for cheap.  If you do get one it would probably end up being a big transfer fee then wages which would end up costing a lot more then Sagna.  Then you don't know how that RB would do in a competition like the CL if Zabs were to get hurt.  I think after City is done with their FFP restrictions, then they will go and try to get a younger RB.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:58:05 PM by Decreed Bratton »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3398 on: May 23, 2014, 11:58:13 AM »
Maybe I'm just really bored (I am) but this video made me laugh hysterically at work.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3399 on: May 24, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »
This sums up modern football. 500 mln vs 80 mln. Fuck this shit it was good while it lasted.
Hearts of Edimbra for life.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3400 on: May 24, 2014, 02:24:56 PM »
Noone could even run in extra time, guys were covering 15km. Congrats to Real Madrid I guess

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3401 on: May 24, 2014, 02:54:57 PM »
This sums up modern football. 500 mln vs 80 mln. Fuck this shit it was good while it lasted.
Hearts of Edimbra for life.

Your name is Mark Renton and you're a jambo supporter?

In regards to Champions League - pretty decent game I guess. Would've loved to see it taken to penalties as a neutral.

I feel for Atletico, hopefully the Champions League prize money along with the La Liga money will sustain them enough to keep their players from getting poached by every club

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #3402 on: May 24, 2014, 03:19:21 PM »
In regards to Champions League - pretty decent game I guess. Would've loved to see it taken to penalties as a neutral.

I feel for Atletico, hopefully the Champions League prize money along with the La Liga money will sustain them enough to keep their players from getting poached by every club

I thought it was boring, but apart from that, cosigned.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3403 on: May 24, 2014, 03:34:59 PM »
I got a perfect bracket.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3405 on: May 27, 2014, 05:27:39 PM »

Spurs fans thoughts?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3406 on: May 29, 2014, 05:26:22 AM »
Stephan Hawking on England's WC chances  :D

Mr.Gear

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3407 on: May 29, 2014, 11:21:12 PM »

Spurs fans thoughts?

A majority good thoughts, but a couple of questions as well. For me, it was FdB all the way, but I'm certainly not too bummed.

Firstly, the "style" of football he promotes is much better. It was plain to see that South hampton were playing great, fast, attacking football. In comparison to AVB, who had tottenham holding possession, passing sideways, and waiting for gaps to open. At under 1 goal per game avg. Tim Sherwood's Tottenham scored more, but it still felt stifled sometimes and, to be honest, were fragile. It was the "Just run about lads, and hopefully outscore 'em". So to have a manager who seems to have a particular ethos and plan, with premiere league experience, is exciting.

I am also  excited by the prospect of him working with the younger players. From all reports he seems to have a real knack for nurturing up-and-comers and bringing through academy players. Being Argentinian, he will (hopefully) be able to connect with Lamela (remember that guy?), which could be key for him to have a standout season. The idea of Eriksen, Lamela and Chadli (or a new winger) being coached by a manager who works well with youngsters and loves free flowing attacking football is mouth watering. All 3 are pretty much interchangeable across the front 3 midfield positions, which ties in with how southhampton were playing.

My questions pertain more to his ability to cope with the pressure of a top 6 club. It's easy to stand in good light when your team (south hampton) are, in the view of the public, over-performing. But unfortunately, the fickleness of this whole EPL business, means that if he is seen to be under-performing (tottenham), people are there immediately to call you out. Fans, media, players.

The media is a big one. Apparently it is in his contract that he will have to speak english with the press, which will inevitably lead to his use of english being misconstrued. There will be rancid and insidious mis-quotes galore if the situation at spurs is anything less than ideal by Christmas 2014.

I also think that south hampton had a great squad, with a couple of players having breakout seasons. They would have had 4 englishmen at the WC if it weren't for Rodriguez' injury. I fear that, whilst Tottenham have a great squad also, that we wont be nearly as sharp as they were.

But, all-in-all I'm happy and excited about next season. But, fuck... I say that every pre-season.   

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3408 on: May 30, 2014, 05:35:37 AM »

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3409 on: May 30, 2014, 05:53:33 AM »
I've always wanted to get an Ivory Coast strip (maybe an Eboue one for laughs) but the ones they sell to the fans seems like they fit kinda boxy.

I'm not saying I want the RobbenFit but it could look a bit neater.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3410 on: May 30, 2014, 06:09:20 AM »
cool chart, always wanted a Croatia jersey but they are never on sale and fuck paying 100$ for one shirt, their lotto ones from 98 were dope and the noke ones for this WC are really nice too

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3411 on: May 30, 2014, 07:09:01 AM »
I have the 98 and 02 away ones. I think I might get this years replica if it's cheap enough...

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3412 on: May 30, 2014, 01:17:47 PM »
Predictions? 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and pick....espana

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3413 on: June 01, 2014, 01:40:23 PM »
I'm just hoping Italy gets far, this being the last WC we'll see Pirlo. Same goes for Spain with Xavi and Alonso.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3414 on: June 01, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
Fuck Italy.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3415 on: June 01, 2014, 02:10:02 PM »
Oh and Argentina of course. Let's see Messi finally shine in a WC.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3416 on: June 07, 2014, 06:16:31 PM »
After watching the game against Nigeria today, I'm starting to gain the tiniest bit of confidence that the US may be able to squeak by Portugal out of the group...

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3417 on: June 07, 2014, 08:10:57 PM »
Can't be bothered to watch these friendlies but lots of great players are just getting injured and dropping out of the World Cup as a result

Reus is the latest to be wounded in action.

Would be so rad for USA to make it out of the group at the cost of Portugal

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3418 on: June 07, 2014, 08:17:40 PM »
I've only been watching the U.S. friendlies to gauge what their performance may be like. I think that Portugal is the more likely to fall behind the U.S. than Germany. Especially if Ronaldo happens to pull up lame.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #3419 on: June 12, 2014, 04:47:38 AM »
TODAY'S THE DAY!!!!
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit