Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464747 times)

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3480 on: June 19, 2014, 05:57:52 AM »
Uruguay are the weakest side from the continent besides Ecuador.  I will be shocked if England can't pull off a win.  They have gimp Suarez, old man Forlan, and Cavanni who is a shadow of himself.  The midfield offers nothing in creativity and their backline is a Godin short of being terrible.

-edit: I was thinking of Chile's backline.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:59:54 AM by chockfullofthat »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3481 on: June 19, 2014, 01:47:09 PM »
.....poor england, I thought they were decent.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3482 on: June 19, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Spain looked very, very weak in both matches. I don't think they even created more than one or two decent chances in total from open play. I don't know if its just a matter of being found out tactically or an aging squad but either way, 'end of an era' doesn't seem too hyperbolic in describing their performances. It will be interesting to see how far Chile can progress. They've been easily one of the most entertaining teams so I'd like to see more from them.
[close]
Chile has a great squad man a lot of these SA teams can surprise. I fully expect Uruguay to give England a run for the $$$, Colombia has a young fast team as well. Advantage because they're playing in SA but still, Brazil isn't the only game in town. 
[close]

Uruguay are a pretty well established formidable South American team, they're probably the favourites against England, just look at their front line.
Suarexz, my fuhrer!

foureyedjim

« Reply #3483 on: June 19, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »
Uruguay deserved that win, hopefully that slide didn't fuck up their keeper's knees.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3484 on: June 19, 2014, 02:43:28 PM »
Italy has to beat Costa Rica tomorrow and Uruguay next week and England has to completely obliterate Costa Rica to fatten up that goal difference if they want to go through.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #3485 on: June 19, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »
.....poor england, I thought they were decent.
Maybe the best I have seen from an England side for a while. Gutted.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3486 on: June 19, 2014, 05:12:10 PM »
I can't see the stars aligning to get England through. They don't really deserve it either with the way they've played. Like Chockfullofthat I thought they would be decent given the mix of veterans and exciting younger players but they delivered a classic England performance today: labour through about an hour of the game while missing the occasional sitter before going behind due to stupid defending, then pull back an equalizer to give the fans some hope before going completely limp in the final 15-20 minutes and conceding again to lose the game.

I'm just glad I don't live there anymore. The media must be absolutely shitting themselves right now.

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3487 on: June 19, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »
I can't see the stars aligning to get England through. They don't really deserve it either with the way they've played. Like Chockfullofthat I thought they would be decent given the mix of veterans and exciting younger players but they delivered a classic England performance today: labour through about an hour of the game while missing the occasional sitter before going behind due to stupid defending, then pull back an equalizer to give the fans some hope before going completely limp in the final 15-20 minutes and conceding again to lose the game.

I'm just glad I don't live there anymore. The media must be absolutely shitting themselves right now.
Sturridge gotta be fierce and stop diving every time the ball comes near him. Country of 60 million losing to a country of 4 million... FIRE EVERYBODY

I bet France to win the cup at 12/1, this is the year.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3488 on: June 20, 2014, 03:38:36 AM »
Holy shit... England. It ain't over yet though.

I really hope Bosnia is going to pull through. Their performance against Argentina wasn't too bad. Nigeria and Iran, on the other hand, looked really weak.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #3489 on: June 20, 2014, 04:25:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Sturridge gotta be fierce and stop diving every time the ball comes near him. Country of 60 million losing to a country of 4 million... FIRE EVERYBODY

I bet France to win the cup at 12/1, this is the year.

Are you honestly accusing Sturridge of diving when Suarez was on the pitch?
It's typical that it's the best i've seen England play in years and we lose both our opening games and are on the verge of a first round exit. If we'd taken a couple more of those chances (Rooney i'm looking at you) We could be on six points and top of the group.
Hodgson should stay, he's made us into a better attacking side and with more progress I can see us actually having a shot at the Euros.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3490 on: June 20, 2014, 05:07:38 AM »
Why did you even fire Capello in the first place!
Also displaying good football is optional, expecially if you always been underachievers.
And choke always beware of the beaver lol.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:09:32 AM by Mark Renton »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Greg Road

« Reply #3491 on: June 20, 2014, 07:17:52 AM »
Italy has to beat Costa Rica tomorrow and Uruguay next week and England has to completely obliterate Costa Rica to fatten up that goal difference if they want to go through.

So England is going to play another game? I don't understand how this works ... they've lost 2 out of 3 but still play the 3rd game?

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3492 on: June 20, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »
Holy shit. Costa Rica is on a fucking killing spree! They're just straight murdering every other team from this "group of death." It ain't over yet, but they're looking strong as hell.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3493 on: June 20, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So England is going to play another game? I don't understand how this works ... they've lost 2 out of 3 but still play the 3rd game?

You have to play all the group games, just because you're mathematically out the group doesn't mean you can go home, it's a formality to play them all regardless.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

thepman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3494 on: June 20, 2014, 10:29:21 AM »
Why did you even fire Capello in the first place!
Also displaying good football is optional, expecially if you always been underachievers.
And choke always beware of the beaver lol.

Capello was alright but played very defensively and he cocked up the whole John Terry situation. His Russia team were dismal against the South Koreans the other night.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3495 on: June 20, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »
England out and France killing it.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #3496 on: June 21, 2014, 04:26:55 PM »
Expand Quote
lol'd at this headline "Klinsmann: Don't expect U.S. to win" lol BAAAM

edit: might as well link the article http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/brazil2014/klinsmann-don-t-expect-u-s-to-win-1.2672987
[close]

Hahahah, U.S aren't even likely to make it out the group.

quoted for humour

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3497 on: June 21, 2014, 05:44:21 PM »
I felt that same way at the beginning of the tournament. Now, I have hope.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3498 on: June 21, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »
One of the best match days i've ever seen and I only watched the 1st 2 games!,real spicy World Cup

Tracer

« Reply #3499 on: June 21, 2014, 06:16:31 PM »
Ur fav bookie cleaned up today, germany draw, argentina 1-0, nigeria win

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3500 on: June 22, 2014, 12:30:41 PM »
That header was no joke.

Tracer

« Reply #3501 on: June 22, 2014, 02:35:43 PM »
Im assuming Portugal throttles USA today, but ya never know

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3502 on: June 22, 2014, 04:48:21 PM »
Dempsey is cool. Portugal is dim. Messi is still the best.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3503 on: June 22, 2014, 04:56:27 PM »
What a World Cup, this must be one of the best ever  :D :D :D  :o

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
« Reply #3504 on: June 22, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »
holy fuck i just shit myself.   USA HAD IT.   here comes germany...

excitableboy

« Reply #3505 on: June 22, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it, Klinsmann will work out some type of deal in the locker room. May bring Merkel along with him.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:06:25 PM by excitableboy »

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #3506 on: June 22, 2014, 09:49:41 PM »
Breaking news, weapons of mass destruction found in Portugal, US action imminent. 
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3507 on: June 23, 2014, 10:36:35 AM »
holland ftw?

excitableboy

« Reply #3508 on: June 23, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »
holland ftw?
We are on the favored side of the draw now, but if they face Brazil I don't see Oranje progressing. Fifa will do everything it can to have Brazil proceed, at least to the quarter finals.

Edit: Case in point, Cameroon keeper on Neymar's second goal. Ball rolled straight through the middle, keeper dove out of its way. Cannot tell me that is legit.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 01:57:08 PM by excitableboy »

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #3509 on: June 23, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »
Great finish by the Mexicans!