Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464452 times)

GeorgeCostanza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3510 on: June 24, 2014, 01:18:37 AM »
Expand Quote
holland ftw?
[close]
We are on the favored side of the draw now, but if they face Brazil I don't see Oranje progressing. Fifa will do everything it can to have Brazil proceed, at least to the quarter finals.

Edit: Case in point, Cameroon keeper on Neymar's second goal. Ball rolled straight through the middle, keeper dove out of its way. Cannot tell me that is legit.

You're fucking regular. No point even justifying why you are, you just are.
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3511 on: June 24, 2014, 07:46:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
holland ftw?
[close]
We are on the favored side of the draw now, but if they face Brazil I don't see Oranje progressing. Fifa will do everything it can to have Brazil proceed, at least to the quarter finals.

Edit: Case in point, Cameroon keeper on Neymar's second goal. Ball rolled straight through the middle, keeper dove out of its way. Cannot tell me that is legit.
[close]

You're fucking regular. No point even justifying why you are, you just are.

Yeah you're probably right. I was in an exceptionally cynical mood yesterday.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #3512 on: June 24, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »
Suarez bites again. In the god damn World Cup. Fucking unbelievable! What a disgusting rat.

excitableboy

« Reply #3513 on: June 24, 2014, 11:02:27 AM »
Another Korea for Italy. Suarez was banned seven games with the first bite, ten the second. So he probably will not play anymore will he?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:08:15 AM by excitableboy »

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3514 on: June 24, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »
fuck Suarez, dude shoulda got socked for that

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3515 on: June 24, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »
Red card and that disgusting beaver rat. This cant fucking be happening..
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:51:53 AM by Mark Renton »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3516 on: June 24, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »
It will be interesting to see if FIFA does anything.  They didn't punish Diego Costa's headbutt. 3 fucking times with this guy biting! Something in him just snaps.  I think it was why more clubs weren't after him when he was at Ajax. 

Matze

• SLAP Pal
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3517 on: June 24, 2014, 11:57:07 AM »
uruguay: how to win the italian way.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3518 on: June 24, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
scum.

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #3519 on: June 24, 2014, 12:24:56 PM »

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #3520 on: June 24, 2014, 01:08:46 PM »
Tried to hedbutt him but his giant teeth got in the way.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3521 on: June 24, 2014, 03:18:04 PM »
Another Korea for Italy. Suarez was banned seven games with the first bite, ten the second. So he probably will not play anymore will he?

FIFA says he could face a 2 year ban.

I doubt that would happen, but we won't be seeing him playing/biting in a very long time.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3522 on: June 24, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »
Japan sorely need a proper striker.

What's wrong with calling up Mike Havenaar? I don't follow Vitesse but the guy is like 6'5. Worst case scenario you've got a big ass battering ram moving around in the box causing all kinds of mayhem since you know the Japanese midfield and fullbacks can deliver really nice crosses.

They're not at Germany's level yet where they can forgo a striker and generate goals from midfield, Japan only managed to score twice in this World Cup.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3523 on: June 24, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »

What's wrong with calling up Mike Havenaar? I don't follow Vitesse but the guy is like 6'5. Worst case scenario you've got a big ass battering ram moving around in the box causing all kinds of mayhem since you know the Japanese midfield and fullbacks can deliver really nice crosses.

They're not at Germany's level yet where they can forgo a striker and generate goals from midfield, Japan only managed to score twice in this World Cup.

so did greece, yet they came in second place. bummer.

excitableboy

« Reply #3524 on: June 24, 2014, 07:35:38 PM »

I agree. He's no Bony with Vitesse but Japan could have used him well as a pinch hitter.

FIFA says he could face a 2 year ban.

It will be interesting to see if FIFA does anything.  
Suarez is out of this WC that much is certain. If the ban extends to Liverpool I'm curious to see what they'll do, and if the handful of clubs who can afford him want to at this point? (I don't understand the Barca interest to begin with - him AND Messi AND Neymar?)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:55:44 PM by excitableboy »

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3525 on: June 24, 2014, 08:38:52 PM »
Suarez is the fucking man, and I'm Australian, not from Uruguay. I would rather see him bite people once in a while and score goals almost every game, then to have him be a boring player like most of the italian team. I fucking hate italy because of the world cup in 2006 but I still wouldn't care if Suarez did this to any other team. Suarez's characteristics and personality is what makes him the great player and the cannibal that he is. He does all these things but he backs it up with his style of play and was the top goalscorer in one of the best leagues in the world(even though he was suspended for almost 1/4 of the games). It's a little bite, get over it, the  attention given to this is ridiculous. Plenty of worse things have happened in football and in world cups with less of a consequence. I hope Suarez gets the 1 game ban he deserves.

i.e.

So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3526 on: June 24, 2014, 10:24:09 PM »
 Bunch of waste games on prime lets let to the round of 16.

excitableboy

« Reply #3527 on: June 25, 2014, 06:54:51 AM »
Suarez is the fucking man, and I'm Australian, not from Uruguay. I would rather see him bite people once in a while and score goals almost every game, then to have him be a boring player like most of the italian team. I fucking hate italy because of the world cup in 2006 but I still wouldn't care if Suarez did this to any other team. Suarez's characteristics and personality is what makes him the great player and the cannibal that he is. He does all these things but he backs it up with his style of play and was the top goalscorer in one of the best leagues in the world(even though he was suspended for almost 1/4 of the games). It's a little bite, get over it, the  attention given to this is ridiculous. Plenty of worse things have happened in football and in world cups with less of a consequence. I hope Suarez gets the 1 game ban he deserves.

Obviously it's not the worst foul, but I think most people are just bummed they wont see him play anymore. I agree that, like with Pepe's little headbutt, he was never going to injure anyone with a bite. In that sense a normal red card would be in order, but going on the previous rulings that is pretty much unthinkable. I guess it's mainly the novelty and apparent malice of biting that gets him the lengthy suspensions. Same thing in rugby right? If you're caught biting you face a serious ban.

Oh and chauvinism is 'fucking regular'.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:21:50 AM by excitableboy »

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #3528 on: June 25, 2014, 10:48:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Suarez is the fucking man, and I'm Australian, not from Uruguay. I would rather see him bite people once in a while and score goals almost every game, then to have him be a boring player like most of the italian team. I fucking hate italy because of the world cup in 2006 but I still wouldn't care if Suarez did this to any other team. Suarez's characteristics and personality is what makes him the great player and the cannibal that he is. He does all these things but he backs it up with his style of play and was the top goalscorer in one of the best leagues in the world(even though he was suspended for almost 1/4 of the games). It's a little bite, get over it, the  attention given to this is ridiculous. Plenty of worse things have happened in football and in world cups with less of a consequence. I hope Suarez gets the 1 game ban he deserves.

[close]

Obviously it's not the worst foul, but I think most people are just bummed they wont see him play anymore. I agree that, like with Pepe's little headbutt, he was never going to injure anyone with a bite. In that sense a normal red card would be in order, but going on the previous rulings that is pretty much unthinkable. I guess it's mainly the novelty and apparent malice of biting that gets him the lengthy suspensions. Same thing in rugby right? If you're caught biting you face a serious ban.

I think it has more to do with the fact that this has been the third time that he has bitten someone...

excitableboy

« Reply #3529 on: June 25, 2014, 11:28:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think it has more to do with the fact that this has been the third time that he has bitten someone...
The outrage you mean? Of course you're right about that. But he got a lengthy suspension the first time.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3530 on: June 25, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »

This is so true you wonder how nobody in the Japanese setup thought of it. The real case in point was their game against Greece in which they put about 3,000,000 balls into the box in the second half without generating a single decent chance. It's a shame they went out because they were probably the most entertaining team in that group after Colombia.

Do FIFA bans extend to club football as well? Maybe it's  because I'm a (sort of) liverpool fan but my main emotion when I heard about Suarez's bite was disappointment. Besides just not being able to see him play out the tournament it's terrible for the 'pool as well because this incident combined with his two goals against England will make for an even more hostile media climate in England. Really though, he only has himself to blame for that.

I just wish his preferred method for inflicting pain on defenders was of a more traditional variety: eg. furtive elbows to the face or raking studs down the back of their calf.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #3531 on: June 25, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is so true you wonder how nobody in the Japanese setup thought of it. The real case in point was their game against Greece in which they put about 3,000,000 balls into the box in the second half without generating a single decent chance. It's a shame they went out because they were probably the most entertaining team in that group after Colombia.

Do FIFA bans extend to club football as well? Maybe it's  because I'm a (sort of) liverpool fan but my main emotion when I heard about Suarez's bite was disappointment. Besides just not being able to see him play out the tournament it's terrible for the 'pool as well because this incident combined with his two goals against England will make for an even more hostile media climate in England. Really though, he only has himself to blame for that.

I just wish his preferred method for inflicting pain on defenders was of a more traditional variety: eg. furtive elbows to the face or raking studs down the back of their calf.

Pretty sure anything handed down by the governing body extends to international and club football.

And yeah he's got a shitty track record and everything but it all seems kinda overblown to me. I mean, you don't bite someone with intent to seriously injure, you're doing it because you've lost your temper and a simple 'fuck you' isn't cutting it. If he gets anything more than a couple of games it will be ridiculous.

But even if they go overboard on the suspension at least he's already demonstrated that he knows how to bounce back swiftly.

excitableboy

« Reply #3532 on: June 26, 2014, 07:07:59 AM »
A match ban concerns international football only, a ban for amount of time is all football.
They just gave him nine matches and four months.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #3533 on: June 26, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
A match ban concerns international football only, a ban for amount of time is all football.
....and 82000 euros fine. but when you earn 250000 a week thats affordable.

excitableboy

« Reply #3534 on: June 26, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
....and 82000 euros fine. but when you earn 250000 a week thats affordable.
I meant 'just' as in 'just now'. Actually think it's a bit much, especially the four months. Why punish Liverpool? He wont be playing the first three CL games because of this. It looks like that will be Barca's problem though, it's said that they hope to get a bargain out of all of this.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3535 on: June 26, 2014, 04:03:34 PM »
I always knew in the back of my mind that Belgium could never live up to the ridiculous hype. Dark horses my ass. Maybe they'll prove me wrong in the later stages of the competition.

Great group of individuals but the team is not living up to the billing, with the names they've got in their squad you'd expect some nice swashbuckling attacking football with lots of goals.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3536 on: June 26, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »
I always knew in the back of my mind that Belgium could never live up to the ridiculous hype. Dark horses my ass. Maybe they'll prove me wrong in the later stages of the competition.

Great group of individuals but the team is not living up to the billing, with the names they've got in their squad you'd expect some nice swashbuckling attacking football with lots of goals.

You have to remember its a group of young lads, who may lack a bit of experience. Still, they've won every game so far. Even with ten men against South-Korea tonight.
Next up is USA. Unless something goes terribly wrong, they'll win that game. After that they'll most likely meet Argentina, who's been weak. Messi has done pretty much everything for them. On a good day I believe Belgium is good enough to beat Argentina. But who knows. This is the craziest and best World Cup ever.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3537 on: June 27, 2014, 03:16:50 AM »
Belgium will probably be serious contenders in the next Euros and beyond. Right now they're still a bit raw and can't seem to play the kind of football they're capable of for more than a few minutes at a time. They are defensively solid though, which is more than can be said about some other "dark horses". Argentina, for instance, shit the bed multiple times defensively against Nigeria and were lucky to win the game in the end, despite having arguably the strongest attack of any team on paper.

In this world cup every team feels like a dark horse except for Brazil and maybe Germany. There's so little between the top 4-5 teams I would hate to try and pick a winner.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3538 on: June 27, 2014, 07:18:37 AM »
Belgium will probably be serious contenders in the next Euros and beyond. Right now they're still a bit raw and can't seem to play the kind of football they're capable of for more than a few minutes at a time. They are defensively solid though, which is more than can be said about some other "dark horses". Argentina, for instance, shit the bed multiple times defensively against Nigeria and were lucky to win the game in the end, despite having arguably the strongest attack of any team on paper.

In this world cup every team feels like a dark horse except for Brazil and maybe Germany. There's so little between the top 4-5 teams I would hate to try and pick a winner.

Exactly.

When it comes to picking a winner, I think France and Netherlands will be serious contenders if they keep playing like they have so far. Germany looks strong as always. And of course there's Brazil. Im not really impressed with what they've shown so far, but the home advantage can prove to make the difference.
Can't really see anyone than these 4 taking it this year. Although I really want Belgium to win.

excitableboy

« Reply #3539 on: June 27, 2014, 08:55:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Exactly.

When it comes to picking a winner, I think France and Netherlands will be serious contenders if they keep playing like they have so far. Germany looks strong as always. And of course there's Brazil. Im not really impressed with what they've shown so far, but the home advantage can prove to make the difference.
Can't really see anyone than these 4 taking it this year. Although I really want Belgium to win.

Wouldn't rule out Argentina. They looked much better in the last game, though their defense did not.
Belgium escaped narrowly every time, but I expect them to do better against less defensive teams. I'd be surprised if they walk over USA, who are a fit and motivated side. Germany had a tough enough time beating them, and it looked like they really tried too. I'm tempted to bet on the US actually.

The Netherlands might have a tougher draw with Mexico than expected. It could well be over 35 degrees (95F) where they're playing. Italy played all their matches in that weather and I think it affected them. Mexico will have no problem with it. Still I think Oranje will win, they have luck and momentum on their side, and for the first time they're playing football that puts result before aesthetics.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:18:02 AM by excitableboy »