Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464529 times)

brycickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3540 on: June 28, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »
Brazil just barely eked that one out.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3541 on: June 28, 2014, 12:12:04 PM »
Brazil got through that match on a single scrotum hair

Wanted Neymar to launch his into orbit with that stupid fucking run up but the Chileans were pretty shit at penalties too.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3542 on: June 28, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »
Pretty hard not to root for Chile in that, amazing game, amazing World Cup
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:25:44 PM by perverted super otaku! »

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3543 on: June 28, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »
Brazil playing disgraceful. Neymar is the only player in that team who plays like a Brazilian so far.

Someone better buy James Rodriguez out of Monaco.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #3544 on: June 29, 2014, 07:25:37 AM »
Holy shit, anyone else read this. Surely I'm missing some tongue-in-cheek tone of the article? I thought only Australia was this threatened by the world game. http://townhall.com/columnists/anncoulter/2014/06/25/americas-favorite-national-pastime-hating-soccer-n1855817/page/2
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/06/29/comment-world-cup-2014-exposes-soccer-haters-what-they-really-are

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3545 on: June 29, 2014, 11:17:32 AM »
Well, Mexico got robbed. My Mexican brothers out there, Godspeed.

excitableboy

« Reply #3546 on: June 29, 2014, 11:25:41 AM »
Well, Mexico got robbed. My Mexican brothers out there, Godspeed.
If you're implying it wasn't a penalty, you are wrong. Robben should have already been given a penalty in the first half, so Mexico was hardly robbed. I feel for them though, they played well.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3547 on: June 29, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »
Wow. For Costa Rica to hold out like that with ten men was amazing. In the words of Rog and Davo of Men in Blazers: CONCACAF THUNDER!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #3548 on: June 29, 2014, 04:10:20 PM »
Thank fuck Greece is out. God they're dire to watch.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3549 on: June 29, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »
I fully agree.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3550 on: June 29, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »
Costa Rica  :D they deserved it #tearsondanforth

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #3551 on: June 29, 2014, 05:26:38 PM »
Holy shit, anyone else read this. Surely I'm missing some tongue-in-cheek tone of the article? I thought only Australia was this threatened by the world game. http://townhall.com/columnists/anncoulter/2014/06/25/americas-favorite-national-pastime-hating-soccer-n1855817/page/2
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/06/29/comment-world-cup-2014-exposes-soccer-haters-what-they-really-are

Ann Coulter is a right-wing talking head here in the USA that is just crazy.  Her entire career is based on saying stupid things and stoking outrage and that's all she's doing here.  Just ignore her and you'll be better off.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3552 on: June 29, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ann Coulter is a right-wing talking head here in the USA that is just crazy.  Her entire career is based on saying stupid things and stoking outrage and that's all she's doing here.  Just ignore her and you'll be better off.
Shes the M!ley of politics but just says dumb stuff to get attensh instead of twerking and lettin fans touch her vajeyenah M!ley > Coulter

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #3553 on: June 30, 2014, 11:21:24 PM »
I died a couple of Times during the match, hope they play better against france. Well, they need to!

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3554 on: July 01, 2014, 05:38:22 AM »

excitableboy

« Reply #3555 on: July 01, 2014, 07:47:04 AM »

Cameroon Soccer Federation to probe match-fixing claims

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/brazil2014/cameroon-soccer-federation-to-probe-match-fixing-claims-1.2692759

I was just about to post this. I was called 'fucking regular' for suggesting this a couple days ago.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3556 on: July 01, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
This "I believe" shit the US have been promoting is super cheesy and corny.

I'm rooting for the US of course but c'mon

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3557 on: July 01, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »

SO FUCKIN TRUE, after a goal against Portugal, the camera panned to some dude with a massive "believe" sign. Goal b2b Own Goal

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3558 on: July 01, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
Is there any other way to watch the game aside from ESPN online? I don't have ESPN at home so i can't log in.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3559 on: July 01, 2014, 04:42:02 PM »

All American sports marketing is incredibly corny and melodramatic. The same is true about other countries too, but to a lesser degree.

Man that Belgium v. USA match was fucking tense. Belgium were lucky in the end to go through given how many chances they wasted. Making mistake after mistake defensively after going up 2-0 in extra time just screams inexperience to me. I'd put my money on either France or Columbia to win it at this point, though it's still tough to call.

Can't wait for Friday's quarter final matchups. France v. Germany then Brazil v. Columbia back-to-back? I can't remember the last time there was an international tournament this exciting and competitive.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3560 on: July 01, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »
I am rooting for France to win the whole thing. I like their football the best, they're a very balanced team. Physical and athletic engine room consisting of Matuidi and Pogba and a great football brain in Cabaye to keep things ticking. Creativity from the flanks in Valbuena. Goal scoring threats from multiple places.

The US needs a midfield that isn't afraid of being pressured a bit and can keep it's cool and maintain possession. That's probably one of the most frustrating aspect of their game. They just never looked sure footed enough to play that swift counterattacking game against Belgium.

Hopefully Gedion Zelalem will be lighting it up at Arsenal and be wearing the US shirt in 4 years.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3561 on: July 01, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »
Is there any other way to watch the game aside from ESPN online? I don't have ESPN at home so i can't log in.

You can stream the games en espanol via Univision. I watched the Belgium America game in a liquor store parking lot. We went into overtime, and by the end I was ready to get wasted and drown my sorrows. I was convinced we'd tie it up and win in a shoot out, because I'm American and grew up watching bullshit like the mighty ducks.

Sorry I don't have a link. Google it.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3562 on: July 02, 2014, 07:26:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

All American sports marketing is incredibly corny and melodramatic. The same is true about other countries too, but to a lesser degree.

I very much doubt this, but it would be quite difficult to prove.  The advertisements on Telemundo/Univision are just as cringe-worthy and I don't even know what they are saying.  I know the Si Se Puede chant is practically the same exact thing just more Obama-y.  People were singing the "I believe" chant in a bar I was at yesterday and yes it was corny.  Whatever gets them excited I guess.  We are still new to chanting haha.  Perhaps we can master the White Stripes Der Der Der Der Der Derrrrr Der chant and finally get the respect us 'Mericans deserve!  /rant

I'm mainly happy the US didn't crash out in two games like so, so many predicted.  I'm rooting for Colombia and Belgium from here on out. 

-Edit  :(
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:02:38 AM by chockfullofthat »

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3563 on: July 02, 2014, 12:55:22 PM »
I don't have a problem with the corny US promotion.  I do have a problem with some so called US fans though.  Even friends of mine that know I'm into soccer.  Before the WC they'd talk about how soccer players are soft and how they dive and shit.  They say they can't get into it and its boring compared to American Football.  Yet when the WC rolls around they only want to watch and cheer for the US like they've been watching their whole lives. There are people who even told me that they'll only watch every 4 years.  Then they come up to me or text me after the US played like did you see that game?  Fuck dude I thought you hated soccer?  If you don't like it then fucking don't watch it at all.  Now a lot of them won't even watch the remaining games because the US is out.  That's weak.  I don't have a problem if guys start getting into club football after they watch the WC.  It shows appreciation for players from other countries.  It might happen to an extent in other countries too, but Americans have a problem where they watch NFL or NBA because we have the best league, yet won't watch soccer because we don't. Lame.  
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:56:56 PM by Decreed Bratton »

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3564 on: July 02, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »
I've tried watching the American football a number of times. Never held my attention long enough.

Seemed like the ball was in play for 5 seconds before the players all just stood around taking refreshments and scratching their asses followed by 4 hours of commercials. I simply do not understand it. Seems really fucking frustrating to follow.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3565 on: July 02, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
I bet all the 100 meter fans share your pain Decreed.

"Dude, did you see Usain Bolt win that Olympic gold in London?"

"Ya I did, but where were you for the 2010 Shanghai Diamond League finals?"

"I missed it because up until recently the best track meets weren't even televised unless I got some sports package that included NBC Sports World+"

"Why do you even watch track at all?  Poseur."

The world cup has such a huge presence that it is almost unavoidable for the soccer haters in the USA.   I'm sure they were not always willing spectators and brought it up because they were just trying to relate to your interests.  No reason to get all upset is it?

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3566 on: July 02, 2014, 01:21:24 PM »
Yes, I think part of America's uneasy relationship with football is that it is the one major sport that they are not that competitive in. The average sports fan who is used to watching "world championships" of baseball, football etc. being played between two American teams is probably a bit uneasy with America's underdog status in football, especially when tiny countries like belgium are still beating them. There will always be a bunch of those fair weather fans who become interested in the domestic game after the tournament is over though. That's how soccer fandom has grown in the US over the last couple of decades and that's how it'll continue to grow.

I am rooting for France to win the whole thing. I like their football the best, they're a very balanced team. Physical and athletic engine room consisting of Matuidi and Pogba and a great football brain in Cabaye to keep things ticking. Creativity from the flanks in Valbuena. Goal scoring threats from multiple places.

The US needs a midfield that isn't afraid of being pressured a bit and can keep it's cool and maintain possession. That's probably one of the most frustrating aspect of their game. They just never looked sure footed enough to play that swift counterattacking game against Belgium.

True. At times the US looked like they had no midfield at all, the ball just seemed to go straight from their back 4/holding mids to the forward line 90% of the time with no short passing in between. This was actually a pretty effective strategy in the group stages and made for some exciting football but against better organized teams you really have to be able to play it around a bit and look for openings.

France, on the other hand have a really nice balance to their midfield and seem to be pretty confident and well drilled in defense and attack. Plus, they just look more comfortable in the style of football they're playing than any other team, which, for me, is usually what takes it at these international tournaments.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3567 on: July 02, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
I think you peeps are overestimating France and dat dey will lose to Germanland.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3568 on: July 02, 2014, 01:40:24 PM »
I bet all the 100 meter fans share your pain Decreed.

"Dude, did you see Usain Bolt win that Olympic gold in London?"

"Ya I did, but where were you for the 2010 Shanghai Diamond League finals?"

"I missed it because up until recently the best track meets weren't even televised unless I got some sports package that included NBC Sports World+"

"Why do you even watch track at all? �Poseur."

The world cup has such a huge presence that it is almost unavoidable for the soccer haters in the USA. � I'm sure they were not always willing spectators and brought it up because they were just trying to relate to your interests. �No reason to get all upset is it?

I know what you mean, but I don't watch the Olympics either. �It doesn't interest me so I won't be bothered. �Sure there will be thousand of bandwagon fans. �The problem I have is like I said when they talk how soft soccer players are and thinking all of a sudden they know the sport. �Like even watching highlights with my dad. �I forget who it was, but someone stepped on another players foot and he was like ah come on it doesn't hurt that much. �I told him well let me put on some metal cleats and step on your foot. �Or when two players clash knees, they think that they are faking. �Like dude when 2 players run head on into another it's like getting hit with a bat. �Jermaine Jones took a fucking beating. �Don't tell me they're soft.  

Anyway I'll be cheering for Colombia and Argentina.  Fuck the Dutch.  I can't stand Robben and his diving.  Although they do have the most favorable road win it all. 

France has very much a chance to beat Germany.  The German defense is slow and shaky.  How many times did Neuer have to come out to be the sweeper keeper? Wonder if Hummels will be back for that game.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3569 on: July 02, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »
Germany's defense > France's defense

See you can even sympathize with the soccer haters who always bring up diving because of your hatred for Robben for doing exactly that.  Diving and intentional injuries has caused such a stain on the game that you almost can't blame an American for assuming the cleat rake down the back of the shin was just some dude acting soft.  Also, if you consider the fact that the sport most soccer haters watch in this country is the ridiculously violent NFL, it should be pretty understandable that the physical contact you see in soccer games may appear lesser.

weedpop I think your point is right about US soccer fans.  This dude has a lot of good points as well (surprisingly).