Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464771 times)

Decreed Bratton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3570 on: July 02, 2014, 02:33:44 PM »
I think you peeps are overestimating France and dat dey will lose to Germanland.

I thought I was agreeing with you here.  Sounds like you say France will lose to Germany.  I don't care, just want a good match.

Yeah you're right with Robben and all divers, but it's weird.  They won't think too much of Robben diving when he didn't get touched and claims for a penalty.  They look more when someone rolls around on the ground and grabs their knee or foot.  They will compare it to an NFL hit which is brutal. 

I think the hardest thing for Americans especially older ones is change.  They are used to NFL, NBA and MLB because soccer was never on tv when they were growing up they don't understand it.  They don't know it at all and it's hard for a lot of people to try something new because of it.  I feel Olberman fits into this.  He doesn't want to get it then fair play to him.  He might think people are fake for following the futbol terms like nil and pitch, but in the same respect when we got into skating we learned the terms of what tricks are.  You don't want to be the kook calling it a frontside Indy.   I don't know how else your are suppose to talk about it.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3571 on: July 02, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
i think part of it is north americans are used to just watching the puck or ball the whole time where soccer is best veiwed through a wider lense to get a sense of the whole game not just ball watching

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3572 on: July 02, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
That's kinda true but there are many reasons why some American sports fans are bored/angered by soccer. For one the playing surface is quite large compared to some sports, and the game occurs fluidly with fewer stoppages than turn-based sports like american football and baseball. Combined with the tactical complexities of fielding 11 players a side, this actually makes the pace of gameplay seem slower, although the lack of commercials more than makes up for it in my opinion. It also leads to less scoring, which is huge given that all 4 major sports in America are generally higher-scoring than soccer (even hockey seems to have higher goals per game and esp. per minute ratios). Diving is also a factor, although I'm pretty sure I saw just as many "flops" in the 2014 NBA playoffs as I have in this world cup.

I agree with Keith Olbermann about America needing to develop it's own unique soccer culture though. Its popularity is going to be difficult to sustain and grow if it continues to be presented as a fancy foreign import, or an opportunity for Americans to be part of 'the world's game'. Plus, the over-reliance on English commentators and football cliches is just as bad as having to listen to the old fashioned American play by play guy with the loud voice who barely understands what a free-kick is.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #3573 on: July 03, 2014, 04:57:56 AM »
I usually don't follow football as I grew up on rugby, but I just came to say this cup has been one of the most exciting to watch. crazy shit and lots of goals.
lots of very very close games.....and that game against Belgium should make Americans understand why the whole world thinks it's exciting.

now on to France-Germany. it's gonna be a 50-50 thing I think......but I REALLY hope we win!
cause if we win that one, we have a chance of going all the way.

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3574 on: July 03, 2014, 05:12:48 AM »
Diving is hard to judge in my opinion. Apart from when they're laying it on thick and asking for a foul when there wasn't even contact, which I agree is an ugly side to the game that comes out too much, there usually is not the intention to cheat. Like Decreed said, often when they seem hurt, they are. That Mexican defender who broke his leg in tackling Robben for example. Seemed nothing much was going on. Slow-mo replay can be pretty deceiving as well.
The comparison to NFL and rugby etc is moot. Bringing down your opponent is half the game in those sports. A marathon runner told me the other day how footballers are pussies because they're tired after just 90 minutes, having ran only about 10K. It doesn't really work like that.

Which brings me to fitness, many of the games have been decided by that so far. Germany, Holland and France look strong in that respect. I hope the Dutch win of course because it would make for an epic party, but i'd be thrilled to see Colombia take it. They have played some of the best football so far. I don't see why they couldn't. Yesterday was 20 years ago Escobar (the defender) was shot dead too.

EDIT: Never mind about the Germans I guess...
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/03/world-cup-2014-germany-flu-scare

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:41:28 AM by excitableboy »

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3575 on: July 04, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »
It was my folly in doubting the Germans. Efficient and not fussy.

An underwhelming result that did not live up to the billing. France shot themselves in the foot by taking off Valbuena, their only creative spark.

Oh well

C'MON COLOMBIA!

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3576 on: July 04, 2014, 11:03:31 AM »
It was my folly in doubting the Germans. Efficient and not fussy.

An underwhelming result that did not live up to the billing. France shot themselves in the foot by taking off Valbuena, their only creative spark.

Oh well

C'MON COLOMBIA!

yep

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3577 on: July 04, 2014, 03:00:35 PM »
Goddamnit none of my picks went through today.

Colombia paid the price for being sloppy and shitty in the first half.

Costa Rica to win the World Cup.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3578 on: July 04, 2014, 03:32:36 PM »
Fuck. Same here. This is why I don't bet on sports.

Very surprised at how weak both Colombia and France looked today. Granted, brazil and Germany had arguably their best games of the tournament, but I think the fact that their opposition had faced mostly weaker teams in the previous games had me overrating them quite a bit.

Despite all the talk before the game, surprisingly, it was Colombia who lost their heads a bit while Brazil seemed to deal with the pressure well. Scolari is bummed that they'll be missing Thiago Silva for the next match though, especially with how unecessary that yellow card he got was.

excitableboy

« Reply #3579 on: July 04, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »
Neymar out of the tournament. Strongest forward and captain missing against Germany.

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
« Reply #3580 on: July 04, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
Neymar out of the tournament. Strongest forward and captain missing against Germany.

good.  neymar's a bitch.  go costa rica, just cause

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #3581 on: July 05, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »
Will Zuniga make it out of Brazil alive?

excitableboy

« Reply #3582 on: July 05, 2014, 04:17:03 PM »
Finally they win a penalty series. Can't blame Costa Rica for pulling a Mourinho but Dutch deserved it.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #3583 on: July 05, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »
This dude has a lot of good points as well (surprisingly). 

Imagine watching football with all the TV timeouts that exist in the NBA. No thanks. That American satirist acknowledging their brashness doesn't make it easier to swallow, either.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3584 on: July 07, 2014, 06:42:01 AM »
This tournament started so fucking good...what happened?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3586 on: July 07, 2014, 07:38:48 PM »
If I was reffing a Brazil game I'd be scared shitless to make a bad call against them. Loads of people thin it's going to be SA final but Germany or Holland will win, if not both.

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3587 on: July 08, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »
4-0 to Germany and not even half time yet! Wow.  :o Been impressed with Khedira.  Especially coming back from an injury like his.  He's been bossing the midfield.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3588 on: July 08, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »
Well this is getting slightly uncomfortable to watch

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3589 on: July 08, 2014, 01:30:57 PM »
Say whaaaaat HAH!  :o

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3590 on: July 08, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
This is the worst humiliation I've ever seen on a football pitch...and yet I can't help but laugh.

Holy shit.

excitableboy

« Reply #3591 on: July 08, 2014, 01:37:02 PM »
Deutschland!!! Brazil lucked their way to the semi's. Expected them to crumble against the mighty German team, but not so soon, not this bad.  

excitableboy

« Reply #3592 on: July 08, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »
Loew better take some players off soon. Samba's vengeful side is starting to come out.

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #3593 on: July 08, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »
Germany are being well German right now.

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3594 on: July 08, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
Riot in the streets! Brazil obviously threw the game noone can play that badly, rigged as all hell.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3595 on: July 08, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3596 on: July 08, 2014, 02:20:48 PM »
Not so much now... wtf...

excitableboy

« Reply #3597 on: July 08, 2014, 02:31:21 PM »
What a rotten crowd. Poor Fredzj.

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3598 on: July 08, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not so much now... wtf...

If you're talking about looking like Brazil will score, Germany does this once in a while.  I think it was a WC qualifier where they were up 4-0 and the other team came back 4-4.  They take their foot off the gas a little sometimes.  6-0 now though.  Not happening.

Tracer

« Reply #3599 on: July 08, 2014, 02:57:30 PM »
Worst game I've ever seen, this was circus ugly. Hopefully Argentina nudges Holland so the crowd is absolutely mad in the finals.