Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464449 times)

Smell Good

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3600 on: July 08, 2014, 02:59:22 PM »
Hate seeing players treated the way Fred's been.

That was a fucking massacre though.

I will be rooting for Argentina tomorrow

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3601 on: July 08, 2014, 03:06:16 PM »
Worst game I've ever seen, this was circus ugly. Hopefully Argentina nudges Holland so the crowd is absolutely mad in the finals.

Brazil doesn't cheer for Argentina and I don't think they will side with Germany now.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #3602 on: July 08, 2014, 03:21:42 PM »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #3603 on: July 08, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »
Didn't expect that to happen, but I apreciate it. it's fucking loud outside, hopefully they stop partying soon.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3604 on: July 08, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Worst game I've ever seen, this was circus ugly. Hopefully Argentina nudges Holland so the crowd is absolutely mad in the finals.
[close]

Brazil doesn't cheer for Argentina and I don't think they will side with Germany now.
Argentina is in South America, their fans will show up in force. Even Uruguay occupied a huge % of the crowd

excitableboy

« Reply #3605 on: July 08, 2014, 03:36:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Argentina is in South America, their fans will show up in force. Even Uruguay occupied a huge % of the crowd

I know it is, but I figured most of the crowd will still be Brazilian. Just read there are over a hundred thousand Argentinians there now though so you're probably right.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3606 on: July 08, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »
these guys would have done a better job tonight....

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3607 on: July 08, 2014, 05:09:22 PM »
Hate seeing players treated the way Fred's been.

That was a fucking massacre though.

I will be rooting for Argentina tomorrow

There's always a sacrificial lamb in circumstances like this, and in fairness, fred has been terrible in this worldcup. Nobody deserves the amount of vitriol and hatred that is going to be coming his way in the next few days/weeks/months, however. In truth, the guy wasn't cut out to be the main striker on a potential world cup contender, he was just there to fill a Diego Costa-shaped hole in their starting lineup.

Today was probably the strangest match I've ever seen in international football. Kind of like watching a bad car wreck. Still, at least it wasn't another 0-0 with extra time and penalties.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #3608 on: July 08, 2014, 05:11:14 PM »
i dont give a shit about soccer but there is an amazing boys from brazil joke hidden in there somewhere.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

foureyedjim

« Reply #3610 on: July 08, 2014, 11:22:57 PM »

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3611 on: July 09, 2014, 07:13:14 AM »
Back in the good old days, when a friend of mine was coming over to play FIFA 98 on my playstation and I was leading 5-0 at halftime, because my friend was playing for the first time, I'd start scoring one own goal after another out of courtesy. Just saying...

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3612 on: July 09, 2014, 04:17:03 PM »
This Dutch side was far too pragmatic for me to support in any way. They never really displayed that swashbuckling classic oranje voetbal that we all love, but to be fair I don't think they had the players for it in this tournament.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #3613 on: July 09, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »
Worst game of the tournament. Boring as hell.
Germany will destroy Argentina.

Tracer

« Reply #3614 on: July 09, 2014, 04:23:42 PM »
Argentina will avenge their loss from 2010

Home soil counts Germany is overrated

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3615 on: July 09, 2014, 04:55:04 PM »
I would really like to see Messi silence the haters by getting a world cup win to his name, but I think Germany are probably a more well put together team than Argentina. If they can get Di Maria and Aguero back with anything approaching full fitness they will have much more of a chance, especially as they've been defending much better in the last two games than they were early on in the tournament. I fear what the German midfield may do to Messi though considering how easily the Netherlands shut him down in this game.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #3616 on: July 09, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Home soil? You're aware of the fact that Argentina and Brazil are arch rivals right? They'll have everyone against them.
And also, fuck you Tracer. You suck.

Tracer

« Reply #3617 on: July 09, 2014, 05:23:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Home soil? You're aware of the fact that Argentina and Brazil are arch rivals right? They'll have everyone against them.
Bro the building will be rocking with Argentine support, the countries are neighbors. You think Brazilians are going to cheer for the team that throttled em 7-1 yesterday?

Argentina just held Holland to 0 shots through 88 minutes, even if Germany gets a quickie Argentina has the talent to come back and win.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3618 on: July 09, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Bro the building will be rocking with Argentine support, the countries are neighbors. You think Brazilians are going to cheer for the team that throttled em 7-1 yesterday?

Argentina just held Holland to 0 shots through 88 minutes, even if Germany gets a quickie Argentina has the talent to come back and win.

Uhh yeah.  Brazil and Argentina hate each other.  Brazil know they were poor in that game and don't want Argentina winning it on their soil.  It would be the absolute worst thing for them.  They rather have Germany prove they are the best team in world football.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:24:47 PM by Decreed Bratton »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #3619 on: July 10, 2014, 02:33:49 AM »
can we ban Tracer from this Topic?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3620 on: July 10, 2014, 05:40:34 AM »
Watched the shoot out in the school library takin a break from an essay, coincidentally their was a dude from Brazil sitting beside me rockin an orange shirt, he was not stoked on the result, and when i mentioned the possibility of Argentina winning the WC in Brazil I think it legitimately fucked with his psyche, he was at a loss for words lol

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3621 on: July 10, 2014, 12:05:54 PM »
Looks like it's done that Alexis Sanchez is going to Arsenal.  Smell Good feeling good about this.  Using the money to pass on Fabregas for Sanchez.  Interesting to see Arsenal spend a lot of money on Ozil and now Sanchez when in the past they wouldn't go for guys in the 30-40m range. I guess times are changing and trying to keep up with the Jones'.  Question is what happens to Podolski, Cazorla and/or Walcott? Who's out?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:28:40 PM by Decreed Bratton »

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3622 on: July 10, 2014, 12:38:59 PM »
So. Fucking. Stoked.

There will be injuries (because this is Arsenal of course) so that depth will be very handy. I honestly think Sanchez might even be deployed as a striker in the same mold as Tevez or Aguero. Those short and stocky street smart South American dribbly style strikers.

Who knows though. There were many times last season that Arsenal lacked that incisiveness in their attack and were very shorthanded when it came to natural wide players too with Walcott, Ox and Gnabry all being injured for most of the season.

It's definitely a good problem to have. You look at Manchester City and Bayern Munich and realize that high caliber clubs need to have a deep and quality bench in order to compete on all fronts.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3623 on: July 10, 2014, 01:22:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The German team has already proven that they don't give a shit about the support. I mean they completely shut down Brazil on their own turf. 7-1. Seven to one (!). Does Germany look like a team that is easily intimidated by support for their opponent? Argentinian fans have been there for every single match so far. Yet Argentina didn't look so strong.

I'm not even saying Germany will win, I'm just saying your argument is weird to say the least.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #3624 on: July 10, 2014, 02:47:35 PM »
Gut feeling is that the final is going to be just as much of a bore as the Dutch-Argie semifinal was. Hope I'm wrong but I can't imagine they' won't be playing more not to lose than to go out and win.

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3625 on: July 11, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3626 on: July 11, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »
Apparently they're going to put a "no biting" clause in his contract too.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Tracer

« Reply #3627 on: July 11, 2014, 04:54:40 PM »
good for liverpool, had him at his peak. not worth the $70 million pricetag his best years are likely behind him.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3628 on: July 11, 2014, 07:00:49 PM »
I can't believe how much money the top level attacking players are going for these days. I don't think any player is really worth that much money as far as the actual value they bring to their organization, except for maybe Ronaldo/Messi. It seems especially weird given suarez's ban and his infantile tendencies (not good for marketing), but I guess Barca just wanted to lock him up instead of haggling and risking losing out to some other team.

I also find it difficult to imagine a player as individualistic as Suarez fitting into such a tight system, but stranger things have happened. Lots of question marks around Barca this coming season, especially with what I would consider their first "real" attempt at a long term coaching appointment since Guardiola left.

excitableboy

« Reply #3629 on: July 11, 2014, 10:07:42 PM »
I can't believe how much money the top level attacking players are going for these days. I don't think any player is really worth that much money as far as the actual value they bring to their organization, except for maybe Ronaldo/Messi. It seems especially weird given suarez's ban and his infantile tendencies (not good for marketing), but I guess Barca just wanted to lock him up instead of haggling and risking losing out to some other team.

I also find it difficult to imagine a player as individualistic as Suarez fitting into such a tight system, but stranger things have happened. Lots of question marks around Barca this coming season, especially with what I would consider their first "real" attempt at a long term coaching appointment since Guardiola left.
It's mostly the oil and gas money that has boosted the prices I think. Players like Hulk fetching insane money would have been unheard of a couple years ago. I wondered the same thing about players returning such investment. The big clubs make hundreds of millions every year, Real made 500 last season or something, so somehow I suppose they do.

I asked the same here. Now Barca has three people who constantly want the ball, while playing a system based on two touches max. Rumor had it before the WC Messi wasn't happy/felt underpaid, but it's difficult to imagine him playing for another club. Interesting Barca season to come for sure.