Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464621 times)

Mooley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3660 on: July 18, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »
With Antonio Conte resigning from Juventus, it's pretty likely that Vidal and Pogba will find new homes.

United and PSG/Real Madrid respectively?

They'll probably fight tooth and nail to hold on to Pogba given his age and potential. Vidal will be the signing of the summer for whoever gets him, he's a fantastic player. Can't see United getting him without the Champion's League though. Reckon Madrid will push hard given Alonso's winding down.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3661 on: July 18, 2014, 08:05:48 PM »
I believe Madrid just signed Toni Kroos so I'd be surprised if they went in for Vidal as well, though he would make a great replacement for Alonso. As it stands they already have probably the strongest midfield in the world with Kroos, Alonso, Modric and Khedeira, although it's possible that Khedeira might be moving on soon. Either way, with the talent they have, Madrid are going to be scary good next season.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3662 on: July 18, 2014, 11:52:40 PM »
Arsenal were in for Khedira, or maybe still are, his days could be numbered.

But yeah, them and Barca are looking ridiculous next year. Atletico signing Mandzukic is great business too. Every time they lose a world class striker (Aguero, Torres, Forlan, Falcao, Costa) they somehow replace them.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3663 on: July 22, 2014, 06:37:12 AM »
"Ronaldo, Bale, + James cost Real Madrid around 265m EUR: more than what Ajax have spent on transfers (232m EUR) since their founding in 1900"

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3664 on: July 22, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »
"Ronaldo, Bale, + James cost Real Madrid around 265m EUR: more than what Ajax have spent on transfers (232m EUR) since their founding in 1900"

Staggering.  They'll make a good portion of the money back on jersey sales.  :P

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #3665 on: July 22, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »
Expand Quote
With Antonio Conte resigning from Juventus, it's pretty likely that Vidal and Pogba will find new homes.

[close]

If Juventus really do sell Pogba he's going to end up somewhere really big. Based on his recent form I think any club in Europe would be happy to have him but I'm not convinced that Juve would let go of two of their star players in one transfer window. United would really benefit from having someone like Vidal who can play the "box-to-box" role well. Just think though, they could have had both of them if Fergie had been willing to throw Pogba some starts a couple years ago (at a time when United's midfield was relatively shit anyway).

I'm gonna be rooting for Liverpool in this upcoming EPL season, but I don't have much faith that they'll be able to replicate their success from last season. The top six is going to be even more competitive this season, and last year's team was so dependent on the attacking trident of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling/Coutinho to win games that I fear their lack of depth in midfield and defense will be exposed. On the other hand, Brendan Rodgers is a very good manager and has shown the ability to adjust tactics on the fly in the past. The thing I'm most worried about is Steven Gerrard's age. Lallana and Henderson are both pretty good at what they do but they don't really have anyone to take over that deep-lying playmaker/distributor role when Stevie needs a rest or gets injured.

also worried about gerrard. they are hoping for emre can to fill that "void", but being 20, hes still got some maturing to do. joe allen and lucas are also still there, but i think lucas will move before the window closes, and im still iffy about allen. honestly still worried about their defense. lovren should be announced any day, which is great news, but they still need a left back. not sure if theyre still pushing for moreno. i hope flanegan starts every game at right back.

heard they were interested in reus, pogba, and isco. our midfield seems solid after lallana and markovic signed, but would love to see any of those dudes in red. pretty sure reus said he wants to hold out for bayern next summer (didnt see that coming).

as for a striker, i think they have that belgian dude origi (sp?), and loic remy locked up. i absolutely love remy and i am fully content with him and studge (and ricky). origi will be playing this season in Lille. jordan ibe has been killing it so far in preseason, but hes like 19, and also has a lot to learn. benzemas name was mentioned, even more so now that james rodriguez signed, even though james likes that space as a #10. i can see isco coming before benzema. also, cavani is still out there, and it looks as though hell be making a move to EPL. i think united are the favorites to land him. bummer.

sorry for the novel, i get giddy during the transfer window.

Any of yall going to see Liverpool / Manchester City at Yankee stadium?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:34:45 PM by McDuff »

Reev

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3666 on: July 22, 2014, 02:33:55 PM »
As a Chelsea fan I cannot wait for the season to start again.

Mourinho has been excellent this close season and has avoided any transfer sagas dragging on over the course of the window, he's signed the striker we desperately needed although I must admit I wasn't particularly impressed with Costa when we played Atletico. I think with Ba going we'll probably hold on to Lukaku this season so hopefully that will take some of the spotlight off Torres' inability to hit a cow's ass with a banjo. Our midfield was already decent before we added Fabregas and with Courtious coming back from his loan spell(s) we have a team that should genuine contenders for multiple trophies this season.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3667 on: July 22, 2014, 03:06:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
didn't think it'd take that long for Germany to score.
[close]

Same--what an incredible game! Great playing on both sides. Kramer should not have returned to the field, and Thrasher should give Schweinsteiger a Hall of Meat.
What's the atmosphere like in DE? My folks are in Eltville but have long since turned in for the night.
[close]

no shit, i grew up half an hour from there. i'm in hamburg tho and it sounded like civil war broke out outside.
[close]

Wtf?! Two guys with connections to Eltville on here? I live about half an hour from there as well. For those who don't know, Eltville is a pretty small town in Germany with a population of 17,000. Pretty random...

Here in Mainz, it remained surprisingly calm last night. Maybe because I expected hell to break loose, which didn't quite turn out to happen.
[close]

Haha that is pretty wild! Mom's from Bad Kreuznach and her brother now lives in Eltville--lots of good memories of summer trips over there, skating that little box/quarter pipe/bank park along the Rhine then going out to Sektfest. I'll hit you up next time I'm around!
[close]

It is. I'm quite surprised about it, too.

Yeah, it's a bummer Mainz doesn't have a proper outdoor skatepark. It ain't too bad, but a lot of smaller towns have better skateparks.

That would be too cool! However, I'll be moving to the States in about a month. I'll probably leave Mainz for good. Which kinda bums me out, because I grew fond of the place...

yeah i used to live in mainz like 7 years back... nice laid back city. good looking student girls. lost a few set ups to the river at new spot... left the city before the shop closed down. i've seen pictures of a pretty cool spot the crew built along rhine river not too long ago.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3668 on: July 22, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »
This time I'm: Caballitos FC

I think this season will a big step backwards for Liverpool, I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade but I see it being like the post-Bale hangover at Tottenham.

If Arsenal can remain healthy (a big if), I will be wary of their chances.  Sure they don't have a midfield destroyer, but they will once again do what they do best: beat the hell out of lesser teams.  I think they've closed the gap a bit on City and will surpass Liverpool, but I can see Mourinho keeping his streak against Wenger.

United...too early to judge with impending transfers coming, but they have the easiest start to the season which is unsettling.  If I was Everton or Tottenham I'd be fucking screaming for some spending.  Stoke and Newcastle seemed to have freshened their squads up nicely.  I can see another 12 team or so relegation fight in the cards. 

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3669 on: July 22, 2014, 10:18:59 PM »
I don't buy the Tottenham analogy for Liverpool at all, myself. It's been popping up a lot wherever people have talked about next season, but there's a handful of reasons things went sour for Spurs and personally I can't apply them to Liverpool. For one, Bale was their everything
the season before he left, while Liverpool have been self-sustaining whenever Suarez hasn't been available. For another, they bought a boatload of players who were expected to walk into their starting lineup extremely late in the window. Liverpool's new signings are almost all pacy, creative players to bring off the bench and shake things up. They're being given enough time to bed in and figure out their roles before the season gets rolling.

Sturridge just has to bang a couple in early in the year (like his 5 or 6 consecutive games with a goal to start last year sans Suarez) and people are going to start seeing their prospects differently.

Maybe I'm overconfident, I don't know. I see a pretty promising season ahead. Sturridge is good enough to carry the torch.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3670 on: July 23, 2014, 01:25:24 AM »
I think everyone is going to try to bring up that analogy with Liverpool and Spurs just because the huge sale of a top player and trying to buy many other players to fill that void. Liverpool was always going to buy more players regardless to try to get more depth for the CL. I don't think they'll be a total Spurs where none of the new players can mesh, but at the same time they will find it hard being in the CL traveling and playing more games. I think there was a point in this past season that Liverpool went on a 15 game unbeaten streak and won like 11 in a row.  That will be tough to duplicate as well esp. if they are in the CL. 

LP's weakness is their defensive partnership of Skrtel and Sakho. Positionally they are all over the place at times and Sakho although he's big and strong can't play the ball with his feet when Rodgers like to play the ball from the back. If they get Lovren it should be a upgrade. They might also find it hard if teams pull a Chelsea on them and park the bus and try to counter. LP is good at pressing in the midfield and having guys with speed like Sterling break while Sturridge and Suraez were waiting in open space. Teams might now try to sit back, absorb pressure and try to counter on them.  It will be interesting to see how they do.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3671 on: July 23, 2014, 04:53:45 AM »
haha wow thats nuts

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #3672 on: July 23, 2014, 05:00:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

If Juventus really do sell Pogba he's going to end up somewhere really big. Based on his recent form I think any club in Europe would be happy to have him but I'm not convinced that Juve would let go of two of their star players in one transfer window. United would really benefit from having someone like Vidal who can play the "box-to-box" role well. Just think though, they could have had both of them if Fergie had been willing to throw Pogba some starts a couple years ago (at a time when United's midfield was relatively shit anyway).

I'm gonna be rooting for Liverpool in this upcoming EPL season, but I don't have much faith that they'll be able to replicate their success from last season. The top six is going to be even more competitive this season, and last year's team was so dependent on the attacking trident of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling/Coutinho to win games that I fear their lack of depth in midfield and defense will be exposed. On the other hand, Brendan Rodgers is a very good manager and has shown the ability to adjust tactics on the fly in the past. The thing I'm most worried about is Steven Gerrard's age. Lallana and Henderson are both pretty good at what they do but they don't really have anyone to take over that deep-lying playmaker/distributor role when Stevie needs a rest or gets injured.
[close]

also worried about gerrard. they are hoping for emre can to fill that "void", but being 20, hes still got some maturing to do. joe allen and lucas are also still there, but i think lucas will move before the window closes, and im still iffy about allen. honestly still worried about their defense. lovren should be announced any day, which is great news, but they still need a left back. not sure if theyre still pushing for moreno. i hope flanegan starts every game at right back.

heard they were interested in reus, pogba, and isco. our midfield seems solid after lallana and markovic signed, but would love to see any of those dudes in red. pretty sure reus said he wants to hold out for bayern next summer (didnt see that coming).

as for a striker, i think they have that belgian dude origi (sp?), and loic remy locked up. i absolutely love remy and i am fully content with him and studge (and ricky). origi will be playing this season in Lille. jordan ibe has been killing it so far in preseason, but hes like 19, and also has a lot to learn. benzemas name was mentioned, even more so now that james rodriguez signed, even though james likes that space as a #10. i can see isco coming before benzema. also, cavani is still out there, and it looks as though hell be making a move to EPL. i think united are the favorites to land him. bummer.

sorry for the novel, i get giddy during the transfer window.

Any of yall going to see Liverpool / Manchester City at Yankee stadium?

Would love to see Isco come to Anfield. I'm very happy with the signings made but I do think we need a marquee player such as Benzema or Isco; but I trust Rodgers knows exactly what he is doing.
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3673 on: July 23, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »
I don't buy the Tottenham analogy for Liverpool at all, myself. It's been popping up a lot wherever people have talked about next season, but there's a handful of reasons things went sour for Spurs and personally I can't apply them to Liverpool. For one, Bale was their everything
the season before he left, while Liverpool have been self-sustaining whenever Suarez hasn't been available. For another, they bought a boatload of players who were expected to walk into their starting lineup extremely late in the window. Liverpool's new signings are almost all pacy, creative players to bring off the bench and shake things up. They're being given enough time to bed in and figure out their roles before the season gets rolling.

Sturridge just has to bang a couple in early in the year (like his 5 or 6 consecutive games with a goal to start last year sans Suarez) and people are going to start seeing their prospects differently.

Maybe I'm overconfident, I don't know. I see a pretty promising season ahead. Sturridge is good enough to carry the torch.

All good points.  It could be closer to the post-RVP Arsenal side that eke'd out a CL spot because of contributions by all players.  I don't think Sturridge will have nearly as much success without Suarez terrorizing defenders simultaneously, but Sterling and Lallana can help make up the difference I suppose. 

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #3674 on: August 04, 2014, 01:55:09 PM »
Another couple of codes if your down
877840-219907
877840-219879

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3675 on: August 04, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »
Spike and Mooley are you both from Liverpool?  I'm pretty sure Spike is...anyway, I'm going to be in Liverpool for a night in April (I think) and was wondering what essential things I should do with my limited time.  I won't have time to skate or see a match, but I would like to check out a skate shop, the docks and a good place to eat at least. 

Any tips on Glasgow vs. Edinburgh as a place to visit quickly?

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #3676 on: August 04, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »
Spike and Mooley are you both from Liverpool?  I'm pretty sure Spike is...anyway, I'm going to be in Liverpool for a night in April (I think) and was wondering what essential things I should do with my limited time.  I won't have time to skate or see a match, but I would like to check out a skate shop, the docks and a good place to eat at least. 

Lost Art is a great shop, you should check it out...

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #3677 on: August 04, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »

Lost Art is really rad, check it out. If you're only there a night you might as well do the The Beatles Story on the Albert docks, the Tate Liverpool always have something good on as well. I'm no expert on where to eat but I recently went to Almost Famous and it was delicious: http://almostfamousburgers.com/page10.htm
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3678 on: August 04, 2014, 11:00:25 PM »
Pick up an adidas trackie at JD sports then go get into a fight at the local pub. Maybe if you have the time on your way out you can stop by the tanning salon for that authentic 'Scouse glow'.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3679 on: August 05, 2014, 05:46:34 AM »
Pick up an adidas trackie at JD sports then go get into a fight at the local pub. Maybe if you have the time on your way out you can stop by the tanning salon for that authentic 'Scouse glow'.
"calm down calm down"

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3680 on: August 05, 2014, 06:02:42 AM »

Hahaha.

Isn't Dan Magee involved with a skate shop in Liverpool?  Maybe I'm pretty far off on that...

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #3681 on: August 05, 2014, 06:03:40 AM »

Definitely Edinburgh. It's got more to offer in terms of novelty value, historical significance and tourist attractions as opposed to a more urban and industrial Glasgow. I love both cities, but if you're just stopping through, you'll appreciate Edinburgh much more imo. Enjoy!

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3682 on: August 05, 2014, 06:33:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Definitely Edinburgh. It's got more to offer in terms of novelty value, historical significance and tourist attractions as opposed to a more urban and industrial Glasgow. I love both cities, but if you're just stopping through, you'll appreciate Edinburgh much more imo. Enjoy!
This, Glascgow seemed sketch as fuck! and grey as shit(though im sure some of it is nice), Ed is wayyy nicer to stroll around, way more open, had my 1st night in a pub there when I was 12 or 13, some dude named Bobby Morris Jacks was dressed in a tweed suit smokin a pipe and talkin about how he has a very strong voice but only sings gaelic and only for people who understand it, also had a pic pf Sean Connery being knighted i believe above the bar
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:36:00 AM by perverted super otaku! »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3683 on: August 05, 2014, 06:58:56 AM »
Thanks dudes. 

If you are interested my full plan is to spend 4 nights in London, take the rail to Liverpool for a night, then rent a car and do some hiking through the Yorkshire Dales and stay one night there, then drive through the Lake District on the way to Scotland where I'd be based out of probably Edinburgh for two nights.  I was thinking about doing a day tour of Scotland or something.  Hopefully I'll get lucky with the whether because I don't think early April is the best time to do a trip like this.

Relevant to the thread: I'll be seeing Chelsea vs. Stoke and hopefully another game tbd.  I might try to go to Loftus Road to see Chelsea on a stopover before I leave  the UK too.

-Edit
Anyone know the name of the park at 2:00??

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:57:37 AM by chockfullofthat »

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #3684 on: August 05, 2014, 03:47:31 PM »
Thanks dudes.  

If you are interested my full plan is to spend 4 nights in London, take the rail to Liverpool for a night, then rent a car and do some hiking through the Yorkshire Dales and stay one night there, then drive through the Lake District on the way to Scotland where I'd be based out of probably Edinburgh for two nights.  I was thinking about doing a day tour of Scotland or something.  Hopefully I'll get lucky with the whether because I don't think early April is the best time to do a trip like this.

Relevant to the thread: I'll be seeing Chelsea vs. Stoke and hopefully another game tbd.  I might try to go to Loftus Road to see Chelsea on a stopover before I leave  the UK too.

-Edit
Anyone know the name of the park at 2:00??

Milton Keynes Plaza, you can get a train there from London in 40 minutes, but there's better stuff to do/skate in London.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 03:49:47 PM by thepman »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3685 on: August 06, 2014, 06:05:35 AM »
Right, I'm not trying to go to MK.  Thanks.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3686 on: August 06, 2014, 12:11:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lost Art is really rad, check it out. If you're only there a night you might as well do the The Beatles Story on the Albert docks, the Tate Liverpool always have something good on as well. I'm no expert on where to eat but I recently went to Almost Famous and it was delicious: http://almostfamousburgers.com/page10.htm
Sounds like pman has done all the best things in Liverpool. Mackay at Lost Art is a rad dude and if you are down to skate there is always folk to go skate with. If you want the full 'Pool you have to get the ferry cross the Mersey and get a photo of the Liver building from the river. The Tate is rad but fucking expensive. There is loads of nice stuff to do around the Albert Docks but Freds map isn't there anymore. I'm up in Aberdeen, so if you get board of snobby rich dicks in Edinburgh, hit me up.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3687 on: August 06, 2014, 01:10:56 PM »
Ahh right, that's who I was thinking of...not Dan Magee.  Such a sick little part.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3688 on: August 06, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
Ahh right, that's who I was thinking of...not Dan Magee.  Such a sick little part.

Yep awesome

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3689 on: August 06, 2014, 03:47:48 PM »

Rad guy too.