Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464369 times)

Reev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #3720 on: August 21, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »
Balotelli is funny to watch an an outsider but if I was a Liverpool fan I'd be a bit apprehensive of his off-the-pitch antics taking centre stage as opposed to his footballing ability, although if the fee of 16m quid is true then he's worth a punt.

He's definitely got a sense of humour though...

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3721 on: August 21, 2014, 02:29:02 PM »
For the price they are quoting at 16 mil. I'd take him.  That's the same price as Fabio Borini.  It might be worth the risk.  He's still relatively young at 24 and gives defenses fits when he's on his game.  He made me pull my hair out at times, but there were some great moments like the 1-6 at the swamp as well.  He'll make it entertaining one way or the other that's for sure.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3722 on: August 21, 2014, 02:57:27 PM »
When the tweets from Di Marzio and co. started popping up I was glued to the computer with a shit-eating grin on my face. I think Balotelli's a wonderful signing for the fee quoted, despite his issues.

The guy's still Italy's first choice #9, he's 24, a career >1:2 goalscorer -- there's too much to gain from the risk to not take it. He's at the point in his career where he's got to reestablish himself, Liverpool did wonders for Sturridge, worth a shot to see if lightning strikes twice. So what if his last season was poor, Milan are in absolute shambles.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3723 on: August 21, 2014, 06:24:16 PM »
I'm fully aware of Balotelli's good qualities as a footballer, however, I truly believe the guy is poisonous and will have a negative effect on the chemistry/morale of any team he plays on. I'm usually not one to harp on the perceived character flaws of players, as they're often completely overblown and irrelevant to their performance on the field, but I have seen this guy harm his team's chances in games over and over again with seemingly no improvement or even self-awareness on his part. As someone who used to play a lot (though never at a high level) the dude exhibits pretty much every quality that would make you hate him as a teammate: selfishness, petulance, indiscipline, laziness and disdain for his teammates. For Liverpool's sake I hope it works out but I honestly don't think the guy can be reformed.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3724 on: August 21, 2014, 06:37:13 PM »
No risk situation for Liverpool, the time is now and if Mario doesn't work out it's water under the bridge. They have the money to sign anyone and this gamble is a must take, I'm a Liverpool fan and would cringe if they didn't do this. Betting odds went way down on Liverpool, that tells you enough already, Liverpool is a force this year.

seriously dude

« Reply #3725 on: August 21, 2014, 06:48:48 PM »
I'm an arsenal fan and I was all for it when there were rumors he was headed our way. I think the upside is so high that it's worth the risk. I think he would have fit better at arsenal because we lack a true striker that puts pressure on other teams back line. It will be a little more complicated with Liverpool because of the way they play. Suarez is such a great runner off the ball and I don't see that in balotelli. Part of what made Liverpool so dangerous last year was how all of their attacking players interchanged. They could start deep, start wide, and Suarez wasn't necessarily always playing off the last defender whereas balotelli tends to. Like I said though, balotelli is capable of such insane moments of brilliance that I think it's worth it. It makes Liverpool an even more scary side to defend. I agree with you weedpop that he is a divisive locker room presence. But people tend to get along better when they're wining, and I think he gives them a better chance to win. Worst case scenario he sits on the bench holding rodger's three envelopes.

Early Hokus Pokus

• Rep: -59
« Reply #3726 on: August 22, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »
Go Bayern!

neonblitz

« Reply #3727 on: August 23, 2014, 12:30:00 AM »
Arsenal should have gobbled him up at that price. sort of gutted.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3728 on: August 23, 2014, 11:33:10 AM »
Goddamn Everton have always been a fucking pain in the ass to play against these past few seasons

Arsenal looked toothless and fragile for most of that match. Infuriating. I'll take the point

prettybird

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3729 on: August 23, 2014, 12:49:34 PM »
Yeah, first half was pretty tough to watch. Really unimpressed with alexis sanchez thus far. I would have liked to see rosicky inserted sometime after the first everton goal. But hey, a point is a point and we're still unbeaten. Now can we get back to talking about whats really important, fashion! How god awful are these puma wetsuits were being forced to wear this season?

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3730 on: August 23, 2014, 03:14:35 PM »
I actually like the new Puma kits.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3731 on: August 24, 2014, 09:29:46 AM »
Rooney should retire this utd squad are now EPL's bitches

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #3732 on: August 25, 2014, 09:13:18 PM »
looks like liverpool's defense is still in the same since last season

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3733 on: August 26, 2014, 01:34:08 PM »
Giroud is out for like 10 weeks - 3 months with a possible broken foot

Say what you will about him but he is a very important piece of this Arsenal side. We've become so used to playing with this big target man rhino in the front that can win goal kicks and hold the ball with his back to goal that Arsenal's attack has started looking a bit shapeless without his presence.

It looks like Podolski's services will be retained. He looked Juve/Wolfsburg bound for a minute there.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #3734 on: August 26, 2014, 02:15:36 PM »
Really strange how he picked up that injury too, just the ball going off his foot weirdly? doesn't look like his foot tweaks that much. Bizarre.

Definitely a major blow for them though, don't want to have to rely on Sanogo up front for a couple of months.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #3735 on: August 26, 2014, 02:24:35 PM »
Sat watching the Man Utd match in my Liverpool top. Seems like it helped. MK Dons!!

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #3736 on: August 26, 2014, 04:43:08 PM »
Sat watching the Man Utd match in my Liverpool top. Seems like it helped. MK Dons!!

Disgraceful performance, we had 5 youth players out but still we should have easily won. how much time does Van Gaal need to adapt his 3-5-2 system? Now we've got Di Maria it might be time to switch to the more comfortable 4-3-3.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:39:22 AM by thepman »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

SZA

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3737 on: August 26, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »
3-5-1-2?

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3738 on: August 26, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Disgraceful performance, we had 5 youth players out but still we should have easily won. how much time does Van Gaal need to adapt his 3-5-1-2 system? Now we've got Di Maria it might be time to switch to the more comfortable 4-3-3.

It will be interesting to see what formation van gaal goes with.  If he goes 4-3-3 does he put Di Maria on the left, Rvp in the middle with Rooney in the hole?  Does Mata go on the right or sit out?  Whatever he decides on the lack of depth and quality in the defense and central midfield is the main problem.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3739 on: August 27, 2014, 01:46:35 AM »
United now have significant depth as far as creative/attacking players go, but they failed to address their major weakness in the transfer window. Honestly, how can anyone in an executive position at that club be satisfied with the job they've done when they're about to head into a new season with a backline and central midfield composed of players who would be backups for any of their supposed rivals. I don't see them cracking the top 4 this year unless Arsenal and Liverpool both take a big shit.

The news about Giroud is disconcerting for Arsenal fans. As Smell Good pointed out, they've become dependent on him as the focal point for the majority of their attacking schemes. Although lacking in creativity and finishing ability, he plays the 'forward pivot' role better than anyone I've seen. They're going to have to alter their tactics somewhat anyways due to the influx of new players, but Giroud is a vital piece that will be almost impossible to replace this late in the window.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #3740 on: August 27, 2014, 04:40:24 AM »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3741 on: August 27, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9443667/stand-in-keeper-saves-the-day

This is great. Keeper gets sent off and defender steps up to go in goal as they have used all three subs. Ends up taking the first pen and then saving two in the shootout.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3742 on: August 28, 2014, 10:14:46 AM »
Champions League groups

Group A: Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Olympiakos, Malmo

Group B: Real Madrid, Basel, LIVERPOOL, Ludogorets

Group C: Benfica, Zenit St Petersburg, Bayer Leverkusen, Monaco

Group D: ARSENAL, Borussia Dortmund, Galatasaray, Anderlecht

Group E: Bayern Munich, MANCHESTER CITY, CSKA Moscow, Roma

Group F: Barcelona, PSG, Ajax, APOEL

Group G: CHELSEA, Schalke, Sporting Lisbon, Maribor

Group H: Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk, Athletic Bilbao, BATE Borisov

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3743 on: August 28, 2014, 10:39:03 AM »
Pretty excited that Athletic Bilbao are in the champions league again. It's remarkable that they can even get close with the limitations they have re: finances and player selection.

Looks like a pretty good draw with lots of evenly matched groups. I think most of the big teams will progress pretty comfortably. It'll be interesting to see how Roma and Liverpool get on though after years without qualifying. Those two groups seem the most likely to produce upsets.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3744 on: August 28, 2014, 11:55:55 AM »
Maybe i'm being a downer, but that's an extremely predictable draw (besides C&H).  The champions league group stage rarely gets my blood pumping. 

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3745 on: August 28, 2014, 12:56:09 PM »
Feels like Arsenal encounter Dortmund every year in the group stages

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #3746 on: August 28, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »
Feels like Arsenal encounter Dortmund every year in the group stages

City got Bayern 3 out of 4 years as well.  I know there are only so many possibilities, but wtf. Chelsea and Shalke play again this year too. 

Slightly interested in group c though.  All those teams look evenly matched for the most part.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #3747 on: August 30, 2014, 11:44:13 PM »
Costa has really been a good buy for Chelsea
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3748 on: August 31, 2014, 02:36:23 AM »
Costa has really been a good buy for Chelsea
Yep, but got a feeling he is gonna pick up a lot of yellows and a few punches this season

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud